• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

New Kitchen Shears~Anyone Like Them??

I haven't tried the new.In summary, many people have had issues with the new kitchen shears not cutting well and lacking "springiness." Some have found that holding the handles further back can improve performance, while others love the new shears and dislike the old ones. Some wish for a wall mount for the shears and some have had success getting a replacement from the manufacturer. There are also some who prefer the sturdiness of the old shears and others who have not tried the new ones yet. Overall, opinions on the new kitchen shears are mixed and vary from person to person.
sarahlegare
My first new pair didn't cut plastic, like cake mixes or the plastic most of our smaller items come in. I called HO and they sent me a new pair right away and these ones don't work either:mad: How am I supposed to sell something that I don't like & that doesn't work....I also don't like that the spring isn't really "springy", you kinda have to encourage it to open up wide again!
Anyone else having this problem???

I felt the same way at first. I LOVED the old ones and was feeling bummed about these new ones. But then I realized I was holding the handles too close to the blades. I found that if I brought my hand back a little bit, closer to the wide part of the handles, they worked much better. THey seemed to cut better and open back up wider. Try this and see if it helps! Good luck!:)

I did not like the old ones at all and LOVE the new ones.

Isn't it funny how we all have our different likes and dislikes of the same product!

My first pair did the same thing yours did. My replacement set works fine. I really like them. I just wish they had a wall mount. My DH loves that they just hang there ready for him.

raebates said:
My first pair did the same thing yours did. My replacement set works fine. I really like them. I just wish they had a wall mount. My DH loves that they just hang there ready for him.

Will they slide in the wall mount for the other pair? Just a thought.

I can't stand them! I think my are defective. I got a pair that get stuck half way through opening them up. I thought maybe because they were new but I don't know! Maybe I should call HO and see what they will do. I guess I have nothing to lose. I really like the old ones. I cut through everything with those...even the chicken bones! They seemed more "hefty duty" than the new ones I think.

sarahlegare said:
My first new pair didn't cut plastic, like cake mixes or the plastic most of our smaller items come in. I called HO and they sent me a new pair right away and these ones don't work either:mad: How am I supposed to sell something that I don't like & that doesn't work....I also don't like that the spring isn't really "springy", you kinda have to encourage it to open up wide again!

Mine didn't have the "springiness" to them until my husband gently pulled them apart. Apparently the blades didn't have enough room to slide over each other. Now they're PERFECT :D and I really love them, I got lucky I guess.

pamperedbecky said:
I felt the same way at first. I LOVED the old ones and was feeling bummed about these new ones. But then I realized I was holding the handles too close to the blades. I found that if I brought my hand back a little bit, closer to the wide part of the handles, they worked much better. THey seemed to cut better and open back up wider. Try this and see if it helps! Good luck!:)

Thanks for the advice! I tried putting my hands further back and they work MUCH better! Now for the "springyness":eek:

I LOVE the new kitchen shears - I can't stand the old ones. Like Jennifer said, it is funny about how we all have our different likes and dislikes of the same product. :)

jrstephens said:
Will they slide in the wall mount for the other pair? Just a thought.

I haven't tried that. My DH loves the old pair and the new pair will be traveling with me. I may check that out, though, just to see.

I LOVE the new shears....mine cut through everything that i have tried. Did you call HO to get a replacement? hopefully the new ones will work better.

I don't like them at all! However, I am going to give the suggestions a try.

I don't like them either ! they seem too much like regular scissors. I like the way the old ones feel sturdy in my hand - like they will cut through anything!

I haven't tried yet but I doubt these new ones will cut a penny.
NO i don't go cutting pennies often but seems like every time I have a guy at a show he needs to try it!!:rolleyes:

I really like the old pair and the new pair!! LOL And I am really glad I have both that way I have a spare and an heir!!

smarteez2 said:
I really like the old pair and the new pair!! LOL And I am really glad I have both that way I have a spare and an heir!!

LOL - what a great way to put it!

smarteez2 said:

Toooooooooooo FUNNY!!! When I first got the new ones...I HATED THEM as well. Called up, sent me a new pair...a little better,,,,oh well:p

I didnt' like the old ones too much becasue I off how they came open when you took them out of the wall mount.. I was always afriad that my little girl would get them and cut her self.... I really like the new ones.. I haven't had any problems with them!!:D

reba515 said:
I don't like them either ! they seem too much like regular scissors. I like the way the old ones feel sturdy in my hand - like they will cut through anything!

I haven't tried yet but I doubt these new ones will cut a penny.
NO i don't go cutting pennies often but seems like every time I have a guy at a show he needs to try it!!:rolleyes:

Cut a penny?? Are you serious?:confused:

I loved the old ones and I LOVE the new ones even more! I could no cut a straight line in paper with the old ones but the new ones are great for that along with everything the old ones did.

I just tried putting the new shears in the old mount. They fit in there and don't fall out or pull the mount off the wall. You could probably buy some black spray paint and paint the mount to match the new shears??

BTW, LOVE the new shears. I liked the old ones too, DH didn't, but he really likes the new ones...

Thanks, Diane. I got home too late last night to try it. Good to know.

don't like them at all...I have used them 3 times and each time they open and close the first time and then once food is on them they open or close. Love the old ones and don't want to even share the new ones with customers

Grrr
karlene said:
don't like them at all...I have used them 3 times and each time they open and close the first time and then once food is on them they open or close. Love the old ones and don't want to even share the new ones with customers
Used the kitchen shears at a show today to open the bag of cake mix. TERRIBLE! Luckily it was a party where everyone was talking and there were 3 times the amount of kids than adults. I was glad they weren't paying attention.
And then I was so anxious to measure the oil and water in the new measuring cups....they leaked terribly. I made sure they were snapped in ok and still the same results. I will be e-mailing PC tonight. I will not show these products. SO frustrating because they are very attractive and I was looking forward to using them. When I first started 7 years ago, the adjustable spoons did not keep liquid in them. They finally got that solved and now it is back to the same. I am so disappointed and hate to be negative but I believe so much in our products but I will not sell a product that does not do what it says it does.

I hear ya, Ann!

I got my replacement shears today (just in time for my show) and they STILL do not cut through plastic like they should.

Guess I'll be sending them back again!

ok, so I'm glad it's not just me.......Mine worked fine on cereal bags, but at my show it would not cut thru plastic. :( And what was really embarrassing was that I had just said how much I really liked them and how great they were at cutting, blah, blah, blah, then NOTHING!
Of course, that's been my luck at shows lately......Oh, well. Still booking shows, and selling so it's all good! Not sure if I should return them or not after reading the other posts, maybe I'll just need to work with them more?

Has anyone tried sheering herbs with them yet? ...like in the picture??

Yes! It worked awesome! I like the new ones much better! My old ones all stuck together after about 1 month!

I am not a big fan of the new shears, either.

Something I have noticed though, that helped me cut open plastic bags (frozen veggies, cake mix, etc.) is not to let the plastic go all of the way back in the "V" of the shears. Don't let them open all of the way and it will cut smoothly. If they open up all of the way and the plastic gets too far back, it's like it gets stuck back there and it jambs instead of cuts. Clear as mud?!?!

I was cutting up a SMALL stick today (making a date tree for bookings...) and I tried to cut with the shears: surprisingly, it cut! They just seem so flimsy to me.... I still like the old ones better, but these are starting to grow on me!

KellyTheChef said:
Something I have noticed though, that helped me cut open plastic bags (frozen veggies, cake mix, etc.) is not to let the plastic go all of the way back in the "V" of the shears. Don't let them open all of the way and it will cut smoothly. If they open up all of the way and the plastic gets too far back, it's like it gets stuck back there and it jambs instead of cuts. Clear as mud?!?!

I noticed that too! I was just about to post it on this thread, but you beat me to it. :p I closed the shears down just a little and they zipped right through the plastic. I wonder if they're dull or something down near the end? Or if the "V" shape goes too close to the plastic hinge and has nothing to cut with?

No I don't like mine. My blades rusted after two weeks and the blades don't open all the way. They just don't seem as sturdy as the old

I just sold a half dozen of the shears at my last fundraiser (catalog show), so hopefully, they work ok! I'm afraid I'll be getting lots of phone calls about them!

MeesMom3 said:
No I don't like mine. My blades rusted after two weeks and the blades don't open all the way. They just don't seem as sturdy as the old

Sounds like a defective pair. I'd contact the HO.

Okay, okay, they are growing on me the more I use them.... :)

I love both pairs too! I haven't tried to cut a penny, but I did try to cut a can lid (after it was opened -- it was something I was told the old ones did, so I tried). It worked great, and I show it now at shows. Also, the herb stripper is AWESOME! First, let me say, I'm the dummy that didn't really know you were supposed to strip herbs like thyme. So, I feel great about informing guests about that so they can be informed too. And, now we have a super tool to do that stripping. The herb stripper alone is worth the shears in my opinion!

I have also used them to cut apart a chicken, and they worked great!

My only concern is that food might get stuck down inside them, which rather grosses me out.

janezapchef said:
I love both pairs too! I haven't tried to cut a penny, but I did try to cut a can lid (after it was opened -- it was something I was told the old ones did, so I tried). It worked great, and I show it now at shows. Also, the herb stripper is AWESOME! First, let me say, I'm the dummy that didn't really know you were supposed to strip herbs like thyme. So, I feel great about informing guests about that so they can be informed too. And, now we have a super tool to do that stripping. The herb stripper alone is worth the shears in my opinion!

I have also used them to cut apart a chicken, and they worked great!

My only concern is that food might get stuck down inside them, which rather grosses me out.

Jane~

They cut through the bone when you were cutting it up into pieces? I will need to try the can lid thing...I haven't tried that or cutting up chicken yet, since they just look so darn flimsy to me!

KellyTheChef said:
Jane~

They cut through the bone when you were cutting it up into pieces? I will need to try the can lid thing...I haven't tried that or cutting up chicken yet, since they just look so darn flimsy to me!

Kelly,
Its a GREAT cross sell with the can opener. After you are done opening it & showing everyone that there are no sharp edges, you take the lid & show how GREAT the shears are by cutting through the lid!

Well, they didn't cut through the middle of a bone, but I didn't try that. I was just cutting a chicken into pieces, and they did a great job!
And, I second what Ginger said about the cross-sell with the can opener.
Hope that helps,
Jane :)

janezapchef said:
Well, they didn't cut through the middle of a bone, but I didn't try that. I was just cutting a chicken into pieces, and they did a great job!
And, I second what Ginger said about the cross-sell with the can opener.
Hope that helps,
Jane :)
Yea, I guess technically you don't cut through bone...but through the joints of the chicken. I will certainly use them for cutting through the next can lid that I open to test that out...I guess they are sturdier than they appear to be!:D

I had the same problem
sarahlegare said:

My sheers wouldn't cut soft plastic. I called HO and they're sending me a new pair, I was going to ask if your new ones worked better, I guess not. I don't think I'll be able to sell them if they don't work properly. Almost everything I cut is either plastic bags or soft ftuff, I had to use my NON PC sheers today to snip my green onions- they were too soft. Anyone else having this problem? HO said they didnt know of anything wrong with them.

Nope I don't like em.

I had the same problem
sarahlegare said:

I called HO and had them replaced, the new ones werent cutting either. Then for some reason I tried cutting with the front (tip end) of the shears and the cut plastic. They're the opposite of reg. scissors I guess. I like my shears now, they cut everything I need them to cut. HTH

I've returned a pair already for a customer, she said her's didn't open up hardly at all. She got her new pair and loves them. I just called a few days ago to get mine replaced... the blades seem to be too far away from each other and, like many have already posted, have trouble cutting bags open. If I forcefully hold the handles to make the blades come closer, they work fine. Hopefully the new pair will work better, but I think they are going to be doing a lot of product replacement with these scissors. I didn't have the old ones but had what I think are the exact same ones (made by Kuhn?)--now those scissors could cut ANYTHING, but I don't really use them for food just for packaging, wire, etc.

Related to New Kitchen Shears~Anyone Like Them??

1. Why aren't the new kitchen shears cutting through plastic packaging?

It's possible that the shears were not properly sharpened or the blades may be dull. We apologize for the inconvenience and will gladly send you a replacement pair. Please contact our customer service team for assistance.

2. What should I do if the new pair of kitchen shears I received also doesn't cut through plastic?

We apologize for the inconvenience and will gladly send you another replacement pair. Please contact our customer service team and they will assist you with getting a functional pair of shears.

3. How can I sell a product that doesn't work as promised?

We understand your frustration and want to ensure that all of our customers are satisfied with their Pampered Chef products. Please contact our customer service team for assistance with getting a functional pair of shears to use for demonstrations or sales.

4. Can the spring in the shears be fixed to make it more "springy"?

The spring in our kitchen shears is designed to be durable and long-lasting. However, if you are experiencing difficulties with the spring, please contact our customer service team and they will assist you with finding a solution.

5. Has anyone else had problems with the new kitchen shears not cutting through plastic?

We strive to provide high-quality products to all of our customers and we apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. If you are having trouble with your shears, please contact our customer service team for assistance.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Letsgetcookingnow
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • StacieB
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
baychef
  • cpaylor