• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Neighbor's Daughter Died Suddenly

In summary, Vickie's daughter died suddenly Monday morning and she was on a new medication. Not sure what caused her to have seizures and die, but her heart is broken. Vickie and her husband are going to be busy in the next few days/weeks and would appreciate any suggestions or ideas for food that can be prepared easily.
ChefJoyJ
My neighbor's daughter died suddenly Monday morning. She was on a new medication (not sure for what), when she had some seizures and died. Not sure what all they know, or how she was found (since she was grown and lived on her own), but my heart is broken for my neighbor. I can't imagine losing a child.

I know how busy they are going to be in the next few days/weeks and I want to prepare some food for them, but I'm not sure what. I would love some suggestions/ideas. It doesn't have to be PC, either.

Please include Vickie and her family in your prayers. I know that when her husband told us, and we realized we had just seen her on Sunday, it made us hug our two little girls a lot tighter.

I'd say something that can be re-heated easily, or refrigerated and taken out in portions. I suppose that's why casseroles and lasagnes are common in these kinds of situations.

How sad Joy:( Praying for your neighbor and their friends and family. May they find comfort and peace in a tragic time.

My prayers are with that family. My in-home day care provider lost her 18 year old DD a year and a half ago, and she still struggles every single day.

As far as suggestions: chicken spaghetti, enchiladas, king ranch chicken casserole, manicotti.......any item that can be covered/frozen/re-heated, etc. I'm sure anything you can contribute will be greatly appreciated!

Fresh fruit, a loaf of bread, a jar of mayo, and fixings for sandwiches (lunch meat, cheeses, pickles, etc...). Maybe a bag of chips. Bar cookies. A simple pasta salad.

I was in college when my brother was killed in a car accident, and I still remember that these were what was most appreciated. We had a TON of casseroles, etc....but we just wanted simple stuff that didn't have any clean up to it.
We also appreciated paper plates and cups, napkins, and toilet paper.

I agree with you Becky - I had a cousin die when she was 20 and there was so many casseroles (and so many dishes to clean) and that's really the last thing people want to do when they are grieving. And way too many plants and flowers (although appreciated) there were so many we were giving them away - it was kind of morbid in the house with all the huge arrangements.

ChefBeckyD said:
Fresh fruit, a loaf of bread, a jar of mayo, and fixings for sandwiches (lunch meat, cheeses, pickles, etc...). Maybe a bag of chips. Bar cookies. A simple pasta salad.

I was in college when my brother was killed in a car accident, and I still remember that these were what was most appreciated. We had a TON of casseroles, etc....but we just wanted simple stuff that didn't have any clean up to it.
We also appreciated paper plates and cups, napkins, and toilet paper.

You're absolutely right. When my grandmother (closely followed by my grandfather) died, these were what we went for first. Things that you could just pull out and eat, w/o any prep or much clean up. Ease is what we gravitated towards when we were at their house and/or "dealing" with funeral stuff.

I need to talk to DH and see what we can do. Since I'm a SAHM, I monitor my expenses since we live on a budget. I think dessert, simple side dishes, and some paper products will probably be what we go towards.

paper plates, plastic silverware, cups and napkins. Then a cold cut plate, bread, mayo was what my family used the most when we had a family death. Its easy, and eveyone can make their own sandwich and no clean up. Also some one brought us milk, juice, soda and bottled water, that was very useful too.

use an aluminum pan from the store if you take a dish to them. that way they don't have to wash them and remember who to return it to.. we had plenty of casseroles and pasta dishes when my wife passed.

thoughts and prayers are with you and the family.

Stauffer's lasagna. Then there is no container to worry about returning.
And I agree on the plants and flowers. When my Mom passed, people knowing that I loved plants and flowers sent me tons. As unreasonable as it sounds, it bothered me trying to keep the plants alive and then whenever I had to throw something out because it had died.
When my dog that was 15 years old died, a friend sent a donation in her name to a Vet research facility and they sent me a wonderful note. That really touched my heart. So if you could find out more on her condition, a donation might be appreciated.

Joy,

We really appreciated paper plates/cups/forks/spoons/knives that our friends brought us....and someone even brought coffee (reg/decaf). Others brought bottles of water or drinks.

I used to always worry about what to bring. After going thru a family death, I realize it doesn't matter what it is, it is all very much appreciated. Me, I'm a baking kinda girl so I usually do cookies/bars or something.

colegrovet said:
use an aluminum pan from the store if you take a dish to them. that way they don't have to wash them and remember who to return it to..

A favorite dish of mine that taste great reheated: one can of cream chicken, one can cream mushroom, one can cream celery. 2 cups white rice (minute rice or long cook doesn't matter). Place 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts on top with a pat of butter on the top of each.

Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees until the rice is completely cooked and the chicken. Usually about 40-50 minutes.

Pretty much anything you do right now will be appreciated. But please remember to call her or send her a note that you are thinking about her on special occasions ... her daughter's birthday, mother's day, the anniversary of her death, etc. The most important thing to a parent who's lost a child (of any age) is to know that people haven't forgotten about the child.

Related to Neighbor's Daughter Died Suddenly

1. How can I support my neighbor after their daughter's sudden passing?

One way to support your neighbor is by offering your condolences and being there to listen if they want to talk. You could also offer practical help, such as bringing them a meal or helping with household chores. It's important to respect their privacy and boundaries during this difficult time.

2. Should I attend the funeral or memorial service for my neighbor's daughter?

It's ultimately up to your neighbor and their family to decide if they want you to attend the funeral or memorial service. If you are unsure, you can ask them directly or reach out to a family member to express your condolences and ask if there is anything you can do to support them.

3. How long should I wait before reaching out to my neighbor after their daughter's death?

There is no set timeline for when to reach out to your neighbor after their loss. It's important to be respectful of their grieving process and give them space if needed. You can check in with them periodically and offer your support, but avoid pressuring them to talk or share details if they are not ready.

4. Are there any resources or support groups available for families who have lost a child?

Yes, there are many resources and support groups available for families who have lost a child. You can suggest these to your neighbor or offer to help them find support in their community. It's also important to remind them that it's okay to seek professional help if needed.

5. Is there anything I can do to honor and remember my neighbor's daughter?

You can honor and remember your neighbor's daughter by asking your neighbor if there is a specific way they would like to remember their child. This could include making a donation to a charity in their child's name or planting a tree in their memory. It's important to respect their wishes and not impose your own ideas for remembrance.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• lockhartkitchen
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pcchefjane
Replies
Views
mrssyvo
  • raebates
  • General Chat
Replies