• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Rant Navigating the "Learning Curve" of Hosting Parties: One Week of Experience

In summary, the person is feeling frustrated and overwhelmed with their first few parties as a consultant. They have experienced issues with shipping and credit card declines, as well as difficulty getting hosts to qualify for the SAT promotion. They are considering quitting, but are reminded to focus on their initial excitement and goals. They are also advised to borrow supplies from their director or local consultant and to make shows about the guests and host rather than themselves. The conversation also includes tips on recruiting and staying motivated.
candiejayne
I've closed 5 parties in the past week, and most of them have shipped and are arriving. Since these were my first shows, I'm screwing up left and right, but not all of its my fault. I've had to make 2 adjustments on one show today, I've had my first credit card declined, and I still have 2 shows out where the hosts are dragging their feet and I'm not going to get them to qualify for SAT this month... grrrrr. If I knew they didn't have stoneware on them I would just see if they would go with the december specials, but I can't unless I want to eat a crapload of cost for it to count for dec too!

This is turning out to be more work then I want. I'm so aggervated right now, I just want to quit!

Sorry that you are having those frustrations but realize that we all have things like this happen - you're just getting them at once and at the beginning. It'll get better and even if not make the best of it while you can. Give yourself 3 to 6 months to try. If it doesn't work out you can at least say you did what you could and move on.

Remember why you signed and share your excitement. Find new people to share your goals with and to build your business with.

It's okay.

I honestly just signed because I wanted the kit for the price. When I got 7 shows right away I was so excited about it, but now I don't have another show until maybe February, and a couple interested for the new catalog in March.

I'm stuck in a spot where I need more business supplies, but nothing coming up to buy them, but at the same time it will be hard to continue without them. OY! lol

I think I'm taking it so hard because it all happened on my BFs moms show, and I've been trying to get her to like me for so long. She's just one of those people that you can not read. One minute we can be like best friends, and the next it's like she wants nothing to do with me.

Guess I just need to sleep on it, and be happier in the morning!

candiejayne said:
Guess I just need to sleep on it, and be happier in the morning!
That's a good idea.

Don't give up if you are liking it. Maybe your director or someone local can loan you the essentials you need for now.

Make your shows about the host and guests and what all they can get (everyone loves a deal or something free - have you ever wandered through the store to find one more thing so that you could get that discount or cheap freebee - I have). Sounds like that show you mentioned was partly about you. She probably already does like you but she may be one of those people that holds her feelings close. Don't worry about her - she's just one person in this whole world.

We all have shows that are a comedy of errors. What can go wrong does. Just shake those off and go on.

...Sounds like you already fulfilled your original goal so what is your new one? Sleep on that too!

Do you have a catalog tote? If not, PC Logo wear? If neither, how comfortable would you be going to a fast food place and browsing your PC catalog and making notes... Someone may see it and ask.:love: That's how I got my first recruit. I had a perm done today and was telling my beautician all about my success since September. The girls there are now going to try to get up $150 in orders for a catalog show to close tomorrow because the Manager's mom wants stoneware!:thumbup: I never expected that one, but I keep packets with me all the time, so you never know!

Pull up those big girl panties and work harder!:thumbup: You can do this!:chef: Look at your "WHY" list again. YOU GO GIRL!!!:angel::sing:

You'll get free PC$ for the shows you do turn in. Don't get discouraged! We've all been through that. Trust me, there are those kind of hosts out there. Usually you don't have to deal with them all at once. Don't focus on SAT, the shows are about your hosts! If for some reason they cannot turn it in, it wasn't meant to be.

wadesgirl said:
You'll get free PC$ for the shows you do turn in. Don't get discouraged! We've all been through that. Trust me, there are those kind of hosts out there. Usually you don't have to deal with them all at once. Don't focus on SAT, the shows are about your hosts! If for some reason they cannot turn it in, it wasn't meant to be.

Exactly! The consultant promotions/incentives are there to help us get off our butts and get those hosts/new consultants to make it about.

Do we still have until the 15th to turn in for the stoneware specials, or is everything messed up with the holiday?

Just a thought--any business, or job, has its growing pains and learning curves. The fact that you got 7 shows right away is amazing--remember you have to learn to crawl before you walk. Mistakes and adjustments are part of the business--and remember it's the holidays. Life is too short to get P.O'd about this kind of stuff. Deep breath and don't let this get to you--you are doing great!!!!If you were my consultant I'd be giving you tons of "attagirls"!

candiejayne said:
Do we still have until the 15th to turn in for the stoneware specials, or is everything messed up with the holiday?

Yes but you lose any credit towards the SAT. If it is November shows, if they don't go in at 12 midnight CST 30th, you got nothing for either month! Is there any way to close them tomorrow night? I'd hate to see you do all this work and not get SAT credit for it!

LOL Thanks, my recruiter actually sucks! Sorry if your on here and read this, but I dont think she is. She doesn't answer the phone when I call, she doesn't reply to emails, and I've actually taken to contacting her recruiter. She's scatterbrained too though, and I just don't get the help I need from them. Thats why I love you guys cause you are all here to help everyone, and you are all so wonderful! I'm not gonna quit, I was just having a pity party for myself for a bit, I'm pretty much over it now!

candiejayne said:
LOL Thanks, my recruiter actually sucks! Sorry if your on here and read this, but I dont think she is. She doesn't answer the phone when I call, she doesn't reply to emails, and I've actually taken to contacting her recruiter. She's scatterbrained too though, and I just don't get the help I need from them. Thats why I love you guys cause you are all here to help everyone, and you are all so wonderful! I'm not gonna quit, I was just having a pity party for myself for a bit, I'm pretty much over it now!
Do you know who your upline director is? You can always go to them if you aren't getting the help you need. Of course we are always here for you!

Definately talk to your Director/trainer/upline, whoever you have that will give you what you need. They should be the one you turn to for ideas and motivation -- everyone here is great, too, but the one-on-one with your upline is really the way to go.

And don't give it up! It took me a while to get to where I wanted to be with shows. I know it's frustrating, but if you stick with it, everything will pay off in the long run. 3 contacts a day are key, the list of 100 and online training are a must.

You've closed 5 shows this last week and you want to quit? WHAT? You are doing GREAT, just keep moving forward.....don't let the "no's" get you down, they are not personal, and you have to have them to get to a "yes".

Keep your chin up and you will see results from all your hard work!

pcchefjane said:
Yes but you lose any credit towards the SAT. If it is November shows, if they don't go in at 12 midnight CST 30th, you got nothing for either month! Is there any way to close them tomorrow night? I'd hate to see you do all this work and not get SAT credit for it!

Not true. You don't get SAT credit but you do get commission and it counts toward raising the commission level for December (might get you to the $1250 or $2500 level of pay structure) - not the SAT Dec. credit but all else. Of course, in a perfect world it would be great to get that SAT credit too but sales are sales and a happy host who got what SHE wanted is much more valuable than the free products for you - she will bring you new business - future shows, sales, referrals...

CandyJayne, your a great influence on the newbies, including me..Dont give up..The beginning is the hardest! I also signed up "just for the kit" but now, I want it ALL! and a decent paycheck....you can do it!!

Thank you for your kindn words everyone...

I'm not gonna quit, but I may strangle his mother! haha! Now she wants a refund... nothing like getting all of my learning expirence over in one shot! OY!

On the bright side, our front yard is beautifully covered in a white blanket of snow and it's still coming down. I'm going to take my afternoon home alone today and make it about me. I've recently started weaving baskets, I have only done them in classes so far, but a lady at work bought a kit and has asked me to put it together, so I think I might attempt that this afternoon. They are a pain to do, but once they are done, they look so nice, and all of that pride washes away all of the bad feelings of putting it together!

Have you done the online training on CC? I'm also very new - just finishing my first month - and have found them very helpful and motivating. You might want to head over there for ideas on how to get shows and make them better.

Are there holiday fairs in your town? Maybe you could do a booth. Offer fundraisers to local schools. Get out your list of 100 and start making calls!

You'll do fine!

Thats great that you can do something to help rid the stress! when I was stressed out, I would take my jewelry making goodies out and make bracelets! It really helped me!

I'm going to work on a newsletter today, to send out tomorrow. Next weekend I'm going to do my CC calls and see if anyone has changed their minds, I know a long shot, but all of their stuff is due to arrive in the next couple of days, so I thought maybe talking to them after they get their stuff, that maybe that might help!

We do have booths around here, but we also have a TON of consultants. I haven't had any luck with getting a booth yet, but I have my name on a TON of list for next year if the consultant this year doesn't re-sign next year.

I have offered a couple fundraisers, but have gotten no response from them, they just arent interested.

Couple of questions. I know my 2 catalog parties will count for Dec. commisions, but if thats all I turn in, how long before I go inactive? I know I have things coming up after the first of the year, but I may not turn anything in until February, although I would love to get a jump start in January. BUT March is looking great for me with 2 shows already in the works. I have one host that rebooked, and another that is waiting for the new catalog. Plus, I'm planning a host appreciation dinner at my house for those that have already hosted for me, so they can get one of the first peeks at the new catalog, I'm going to make that a mystery host event too. If I do go inactive what does it take to get reactivated?

Oh, and I have done all of the online training. Also, I have a mystery host thing I'm going to try next Saturday, we'll see how it goes.

And one more... when do we get the November commission check? I have direct deposit, I thought my upline told me the 3rd, but I was under the impression that we got it on the 8th. That is going to make a huge difference to me since I could use that money for my PC stuff. With the Mystery host thing for next Saturday, I want to offer people things for the number in which I recieve their order, but without the extra cash, I won't be able to afford it.

I get my PC money the 15th but it wasnt direct deposit..but I did sign up for it so, what a nice surprise that would be...Ugh..I have a rant.One Catalog show, which was supposed to be my biggest one, cant turn in until Tuesday, which means December!:*(
oh well I guess.....

The direct deposit payment is made on the 8th and 22nd unless they are on a weekend or holiday and then it is the next business day.

We all go through periods were we have ups and downs and just think of all the experience you will have on some of these things.

As far as going inactive goes you have to submit at least $200 every other month to stay active so if you turn in at least $200 in December for example you are good until February.

I hope this helps and am sending good wishes your way!!

Thank you! If I submit my 2 November catalog shows in December does that count for me?

candiejayne said:
Thank you! If I submit my 2 November catalog shows in December does that count for me?

Yes, it will count as December commissionable sales but not for any of the current promotions.

sweet! then I'll be safe if I dont have a show until Feb! woohoo!

Atleast something is going right today! The basket I am attempting to make is really getting to me, so I quit that, and started working on my digiscrap program to make my friends wedding invitations, they look great, but I can not get them to print right, grrr...

:D Other good news is we had dinner with his parents, and she didn't have anymore complaints about her show, AND she was trying to get the waitress to have a show for me LOL! I told you I can not read that woman for nothing!

1. How do I prepare for my first party as a new host?

As a new host, it's important to familiarize yourself with the Pampered Chef products and the party process. Take some time to go through the catalog and make a list of any products that stand out to you. You can also reach out to your Pampered Chef consultant for tips and advice on how to host a successful party.

2. What are some tips for getting guests to attend my party?

One way to get guests to attend your party is to create excitement and hype around it. Share your party on social media and invite friends and family. You can also offer incentives, such as a free gift or a discount, to those who bring a friend to the party. Lastly, make sure to follow up with your guests a few days before the party to remind them and confirm their attendance.

3. How can I make my party more engaging and interactive for guests?

One way to make your party more engaging is to incorporate interactive activities, such as a cooking demonstration or a game. You can also ask guests to participate by helping with food preparation or trying out products. Additionally, make sure to have a variety of products on display so guests can touch and feel them.

4. How do I handle sales and orders during the party?

During the party, your Pampered Chef consultant will take care of all sales and orders. However, it's important to be present and engaged during this process to answer any questions your guests may have. You can also offer suggestions and recommendations based on your own experience with the products.

5. What should I do after the party is over?

After the party, it's important to follow up with your guests to thank them for attending and to see if they have any questions or need any assistance with their orders. You can also share any upcoming specials or promotions to keep the excitement going. Lastly, make sure to clean and organize your space so you're ready for your next party!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• wadesgirl
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
Replies
Views
vhadley
  • melissaboyd
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies