• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Navigating Ethical Dilemmas in Direct Sales: A Consultant's Perspective

In summary, the host received a call from a woman who did a Habitat for Humanity fundraiser with the host. The fundraiser was a flop, but the host did get a booking from it. The chairperson said she talked to the woman and the host's host was very pleased. The chairperson's friend had a PC show and there are some issues they are having with the consultant. The host is moving and doesn't have any shows, but she would like to help her out. The host is going to get the money and orders back from the consultant.
AMTC
Gold Member
I just got a call from a woman that I did a Habitat for Humanity fundraiser for - she was the chairperson. The fundraiser was a flop, but I did get a booking from it and the show was average, but I was happy with that. The chairperson said she talked to the woman who I did the show for and my host was very pleased.

Now it turns out the chairperson's friend had a PC show (I'm assuming catalog, she didn't say in the voice mail) and there are some issues they are having with the consultant. She said in the voice mail that her friend doesn't entirely trust the consultant so the chairperson is going to collect the orders and money from from her friend and she wants me to submit the show.:eek:

I'm right in the middle of moving to the next town over and since I had to cut back on my bookings this month it would be great for me, but also I really would love to help her out, but I don't want to step on anyone's toes.

I have a call into my director, but I'm wondering is there any PC code of ethics on this and what would you do??????

The host can choose who the consultant is. However, if it was a live show, I wouldn't take it. I'm not sure if I would take it from a catalog show. Give them the 888-OUR-CHEF number and have them deal with HO. This is not your job.

Before she does all of that the host needs to talk to the other consultant and let her know that she is not going to be doing the catalog show. She doesn't have to go into detail, but she needs to give the other consultant that courtesy. We don't know the details. If this was a cooking show that has already been done, she needs to give the orders to the other consultant because she put time into it.

Even if it was a catalog show, the other consultant spent her catalogs, money mailing, time on the website, and probably time on the phone. I'd say it's still hers.

Maybe that's what happens to all the catalog shows I do and never hear back from them!

I just got the rest of the story from the host-

The PC Consultant was new and a friend of hers (the hosts) from High School. The Consultant held the show in her (the consultants) home for the host. I think she was getting started, the host lives in a small apartment etc. But here's where it starts to not make sense.

The show was in March. The consultant said everyone would have their product in 2 weeks. At the end of March the host called to see where the products were and was told by the consultant that PC told her that she had to send them more money for shipping? :confused:

At the end of April, beginning of May the host called again because naturally her guests were not happy and was told by the consultant that PC sent her back a check and said they were cancelling the show. The consultant said she's had it with PC and she's not going to be doing it anymore. So now the host has to go get the money and the orders back from the consultant.

Now here it is June and the host asked her guests if they just wanted their $$ back or if they wanted her to contact another consultant that she knew (that would be me:D ) And MOST said they wanted their PC stuff. She said one is on the fence. So I told her to get the $, get the orders and I'll meet with her and if there is someone who wants to cancel their order, then give me their phone number and let me talk to them before they do.

I don't think it's a big show, it might just qualify, but I'm moving this month, I've got no shows, but I have enough time to take care of this.

So I'm thinking I don't see a need to contact the consultant. It sounds like she is done with PC, even though I'm thinking the issue may have been with her more than Home Office.

My bet is the other consultant took their money and ran. I highly doubt your friend (the host) will get the money back. It just doesn't work that way.......
So, if anyone wants to order, I absolutely say you should take the orders. And, go one step further and call each one of them and re-assure them that what happened was not at all typical and offer your services for any future needs. Good luck with this and keep us updated!! :)
Also, I would strongly recommend that you have the host call HO (same # we call) just to confirm her story or to report that she never received her show products.

I recommend you also call HO on Monday too and explain it to them. ...just to cover you...

If she does get the money back and you submit all this, you never know if one of them may finally call to complain about the other consultant and when they look up the show they see your name.

...make sure to get it "on the record" that you are filling in and weren't the original problem.

BTW, after 3 months, I think she is going to have a hard time getting money back...I think the consultant may have been a little dishonest. I'm sure the people paid properly for their stuff...

janetupnorth said:
BTW, after 3 months, I think she is going to have a hard time getting money back...I think the consultant may have been a little dishonest. I'm sure the people paid properly for their stuff...
<giggle> A little dishonest? Is that like being a little pregnant?:D (I totally agree with what you are saying though!)

I was wondering if she just took the money and ran - I could not imagine how she could process the order without full payment OR if HO EVER cancels an order and sends the money back? :confused: It just didn't sound right - for now I put the ball in the host's court and told her to get me the money and the orders - I DID offer to call everyone also or to meet with them as well - My director did tell me to document everything and I have and will continue!The host said she did e-mail HO, but never received a reply. I don't know if HO could identify her - if she didn't mention the consultant by name and if they never received the order then they would probably have no idea who she is. I should probably have her forward me a copy of the e-mail.Of course I didn't mention ANY of this to the host - I didn't want her worrying worse than she already is now.At this point, it's less about what I get out of it - I just can't stand it when people give over their money in good faith and then get treated like this.

ChefBeckyD said:
<giggle> A little dishonest? Is that like being a little pregnant?:D (I totally agree with what you are saying though!)

Yeah, a little pregnant, like when the bulge is just a little fat from the last one...he-he...

TRYING to be nice and not totally bash this person, although she may deserve it. :)

This sounds VERY similar to a situation I was in with a TW consultant. She kept giving me excuses about why I hadn't received product when she actually used the money to pay her rent. The worst part about that was that I got zero response from the TW HO (I sent them a letter).I guess I'm trying to say that I completely understand what the host and guests are going through. They're probably very frustrated. The more information she has that she can use to call HO, the more likely they are to be able to help her. And if the guests can provide copies of checks and receipts, that's good back-up, too. And then everything is in order in case they have to take the other (former) consultant to court (that's what I had to do to the TW lady).Definitely stress to the customers that we are independent consultants, and they shouldn't take the actions of one bad apple as typical.

Yikes! I agree that you should definately call HO and encourage the Host to do so as well.

When all is said and done, and (HOPEFULLY) they have their money back, order the show for them.

It only takes ONE bad apple, doesn't it?

Good Luck!

1. What is "Uh-Oh What Would You Do?"

"Uh-Oh What Would You Do?" is a fun and interactive game from Pampered Chef that challenges players to solve cooking dilemmas and make quick decisions in the kitchen. It's a great way to test your cooking skills and have some laughs with friends and family.

2. How do you play "Uh-Oh What Would You Do?"

To play "Uh-Oh What Would You Do?", you will need a set of the game's cards and a timer. Each player takes turns drawing a card and reading the cooking dilemma out loud. They have a set amount of time to come up with a solution and the rest of the players vote on the best answer. The player with the most votes wins the round.

3. Can children play "Uh-Oh What Would You Do?"

Yes, "Uh-Oh What Would You Do?" is a family-friendly game that can be enjoyed by children and adults alike. The game is recommended for ages 8 and up, but younger children can also participate with some help from adults.

4. Are there different versions of "Uh-Oh What Would You Do?"

Currently, there is only one version of "Uh-Oh What Would You Do?". However, there are expansion packs available that feature new cooking dilemmas and challenges for even more fun and variety.

5. Is "Uh-Oh What Would You Do?" only for experienced cooks?

No, "Uh-Oh What Would You Do?" is designed for all levels of cooking experience. Whether you're a seasoned chef or just starting out in the kitchen, this game is a great way to have fun and improve your cooking skills at the same time.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• MEChefJulie
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
KellyTheChef
  • dannyzmom
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
pamperedalf
  • chelynn