• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dealing with Non-Payment for Order: Tips and Advice from a Direct Sales Expert

In summary, the customer never called back after I left a voice mail on Thursday of last week saying that I would be coming by to pick up the check for the order. I called her on Thursday afternoon, but she never returned my call. I called her again last night, but she didn't answer. I am worried that she may have lost the order, and I want to make sure that I get a refund for the items.
momoftwins
Hey gals! I submitted a show almost 2 weeks ago now and there was a credit card on it that was declined. I contacted the customer (this was on a Wednesday) and she said there wouldn't be any money in there until Friday. I told her well can you write me a post dated check and mail it to me - she said yes. She happened to be driving at the time so I told her to call me later that night to get my address to mail me a check the next day. So I called HO to resolve that show so it would ship. I got the show on Friday. The customer never called me back that Wed night to get my address. I called her on Thursday afternoon to let her know I would be close to her house that evening and that I could come by and pick up the check. She never returned my call. I called that night as I was coming home from my event and told her (again in a voice mail as she did not answer) that I would have the products that next day and for her to call me and set up a time where she could come to my house and pick up her products and pay me.

Needless to say this was last week and today is Tuesday. I STILL have not heard back from her. I was going to be in the area of her house again last night so I called her yesterday afternoon to let her know that and to call me (again had to leave a voice mail) so I could stop by and give her her products (with her paying me CASH) and of course she didn't call me back.

I did inform the host about this just in case the customer calls the host. The host stated that maybe she was embarassed.

The order totalled $61. I am just not sure what to do. I am tempted to call her again today and leave yet another voice mail (I only have a cell phone number for her) that states if I do not hear back from her by Wednesday at 5pm that I will call PC and have them pick up her items.

What do you think?? What would you do?? She was an outside order for this show so I don't even know what she looks like.

Thanks in advance!!!

momoftwins said:
The order totalled $61. I am just not sure what to do. I am tempted to call her again today and leave yet another voice mail (I only have a cell phone number for her) that states if I do not hear back from her by Wednesday at 5pm that I will call PC and have them pick up her items.
What do you think?? What would you do?? She was an outside order for this show so I don't even know what she looks like.

Thanks in advance!!!
That is exactly what I would do.

Just make sure you are smiling when leaving the message. Its just a business transaction, not something personal.

So did you have to pay for these items or did the host? If PC picks it back up will you get a refund for it?

You've done enough! Maybe try approaching the host and see if she wants to cover for her friend? If not, have Fed Ex pick up that package ASAP!

Maybe see if PC will run the cc again and if it goes through just drop the stuff on her door. Or, if it goes through, do nothing, and make HER come out and get her items!

chefsteph07 said:
So did you have to pay for these items or did the host? If PC picks it back up will you get a refund for it?

when her CC was declined and she was going to write me a check I just told HO to take it out of my debit card. So I paid for these items. Yes if PC comes and picks it up I will get a refund for it.

chefsteph07 said:
Maybe see if PC will run the cc again and if it goes through just drop the stuff on her door. Or, if it goes through, do nothing, and make HER come out and get her items!

I don't know if PC can run the credit card again since the show already shipped. I guess I could call finance and find out.

I left her a message Thursday of last week stating to call me to set up a time where she can COME TO MY HOUSE and pay me as well as pick up her items. I am NOT driving to her unless I happen to already be in that area.

vwpamperedchef said:
You've done enough! Maybe try approaching the host and see if she wants to cover for her friend? If not, have Fed Ex pick up that package ASAP!

Unfortunately I doubt the host would have the money to cover for her friend.

I recieved a bad check a couple of weeks ago from a very good friend of mine. The thing that got me was she thought it was no big deal. She sent me an email saying the check bounced and the bank didn't cover it for her. That it would be coming back to me. What do I need to do to make it right with you? I told her she could just pay me cash....she already had her items so I couldn't really hold those until she got the money to me. This was on a Wed. I sent her numerous emails and ate lunch with her one day and mentioned she needed to take care of the check. I even told her that I had to pay for her items out of my personal money($75). Nothing seemed to work. So 2 weeks later I went to the bank (we bank at the same bank) to see if the check would go through it did. Then she called me and said thanks for taken care of it but it would have been nice to let her know that I was taking it to the bank b/c it really messed up her checking account!!!!
It is amazing how people think we are made of money!

Sounds like a great friend Sarah, some people just amaze me. Did you have to pay for lunch too;) At least it did go through and you got your money.

PCSarahjm said:
I recieved a bad check a couple of weeks ago from a very good friend of mine. The thing that got me was she thought it was no big deal. She sent me an email saying the check bounced and the bank didn't cover it for her. That it would be coming back to me. What do I need to do to make it right with you? I told her she could just pay me cash....she already had her items so I couldn't really hold those until she got the money to me. This was on a Wed. I sent her numerous emails and ate lunch with her one day and mentioned she needed to take care of the check. I even told her that I had to pay for her items out of my personal money($75). Nothing seemed to work. So 2 weeks later I went to the bank (we bank at the same bank) to see if the check would go through it did. Then she called me and said thanks for taken care of it but it would have been nice to let her know that I was taking it to the bank b/c it really messed up her checking account!!!!
It is amazing how people think we are made of money!

I'm in utter disbelief at how some people treat us. If the roles were reversed.... I'm sorry you had to go through that. $75.00 is a lot of money. I just kindly tell people that I only keep enough money in my account to cover the show, and if they can't get a check out to me, my Italian husband and his three brothers will pay them a visit to help them find a way to get me the money. People laugh:D

but it would have been nice to let her know that I was taking it to the bank b/c it really messed up her checking account!!!!

I'm thinking her account was already messed up? lol

RebelChef said:
I'm thinking her account was already messed up? lol

No doubt! That's hilarious!!!

well I left a message for the customer and told her if I do not hear from her by this Thursday at noon about payment I will call PC and have her items returned. So the ball is again in her court - we shall see if she returns it!

I had a 11/15 individual order not ship due to a credit card declined. I did not contact HO about it as I didn't get the e-mail until the last day given to resolve it. SO, I got a check from the guest, and submitted her order with a party a friend had.

HO ran the card again on 11/30, it went thru and they shipped the order (both of them...) Still working to contact the guest and straighten this out.

Long story short: Ask HO to run the card again. Can't hurt :rolleyes:

It amazed me that she is a good friend and didn't feel like it was a big deal to take care of the bad check!
So now my question is do I still take checks from her??? How do you handle this type of situation?

Well I have not heard from the customer so I made one last call to her today at 5pm and low and behold she actually answered her phone. I was actually shocked!!! She said she was sorry to have wasted my time (she wasn't able to come to the show but she wanted to see a catalog so I mailed her one and then called her for her order), etc but she was unable to afford the items. I told her that was fine and that I would call PC to have them return them. UGH!

PCSarahjm said:
It amazed me that she is a good friend and didn't feel like it was a big deal to take care of the bad check!
So now my question is do I still take checks from her??? How do you handle this type of situation?
No more checks. Sorry, in a situation like that, it's bad for your business (and your bank account!) to accept any other checks from her. Make sure it's cash or money order!

PCSarahjm said:
If she is a "good friend" does that mean she lives close and banks close? You can take her check to her bank to make sure there is money to cover it. Cash it at her bank, or just tell her you accept credit cards and cash only.
Didn't you get charged a fee for the check bouncing? If so, did you eat that or did she pay you for it?

It is utterly rude that a "friend" would treat you like that. No more checks from her. It must be cash or credit card. I had only one bad check, items had already shipped. I had to call the husband's cell and tell him I was on the way to get my money. She wouldn't even come to the door. The husband gave me the money at the door. Needless to say, I don't have her as a client anymore.

What should I do if a customer does not pay for their order?

If a customer does not pay for their order, the first step is to reach out to them and remind them of their outstanding balance. It's possible that they simply forgot or have not seen the invoice. If they still do not pay, you can consider offering a payment plan or setting a deadline for payment. If all else fails, you may need to take legal action.

How can I prevent non-payment from happening in the first place?

To prevent non-payment, it's important to have clear payment policies in place and communicate them to your customers. You can also require a deposit or full payment upfront before placing an order. Additionally, make sure to keep track of all orders and payments so that you can follow up with customers who have not paid.

What should I do if a customer disputes the charges on their order?

If a customer disputes the charges on their order, try to resolve the issue with them directly. If necessary, provide evidence of the order and payment to support your case. You can also involve your company's customer service team to help mediate the situation.

Is it ever appropriate to cancel an order due to non-payment?

In some cases, it may be necessary to cancel an order due to non-payment. For example, if a customer has not paid after multiple reminders and the deadline has passed, you may need to cancel the order to protect your business. However, this should be a last resort and should be communicated clearly to the customer.

What can I do to recover lost profits from non-payment?

If you have already shipped the order and the customer does not pay, you may need to write off the loss. However, if the customer has not received the order yet, you can try to sell the products to another customer or offer a discount to incentivize payment. It's also important to review your payment policies and procedures to prevent similar situations in the future.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• byrd1956
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • 3girls
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Brenda.the.chef
  • byrd1956