• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Maximizing Network Connections: Navigating Ethical Dilemmas in Direct Sales

In summary, the customer's c oworker referred her to do shows, but has not contacted the consultant in over a year. The original customer shows up at a bridal fair and is interested in a shower and the registry. The consultant tried to call the c oworker, but did not get an answer.
dannyzmom
Gold Member
Ok - this is going to be difficult to follow - so please bear with me...

Last year I had a guest who was unable to attend a party (Janet) -- she called me and wanted to book a show. Insisted it had to be on a Wednesday. I don't work Wed's so I passed her on to one of my downline (Bev). She hemmed & hawed with this consultant and never set a date. Then this same guest (Jan) shows up at one of my shows and books with me before I even realize that she is that same person.

Ends up being a $1000+ show AND Jan gives me the contact info of a coworker of her who was unable to attend but wants to host a show. So I call her coworker and book a show - end up recruiting her (the co-worker) and she is now a FD on my team.

It's been just over a year since Jan's party...so when I got the "PHD expiration email" I told my FD...call your coworker - see if she is ready to host another show...Jan has been hemming and hawing about booking a show with her.

Jan works for another DS company.

Last month I had a customer at one of my shows looking for a rep from Jan's company. So this week I email Jan and give her my customer's contact info.

She write back with:

You are the best. I have been thinking about having a pampered chef
party. Should I use you or Roseann??? I think your email just made my
decision. Let me know.

WHAT DO I DO???

So Roseann is your downline FD and she is the coworker of Jan, the woman who wants to host? Well since you are the original consultant and Jan has presumably done no business with Roseann up to this point, I think the show is yours.

Of course in the end it's up to Jan.

I had a situation where the guest had to choose between me and the another consultant (although this consultant is not on my team). I let her decide and she chose me. :)

Agree with Debbie...it is Jan's choice in the end, you were trying to give Roseann the opportunity as a courtesy, but if Jan didn't jump on that and is saying this now...you have to book with her!

I just feel so badly - I adore Roseanne - she is a great member of my team and I don't want her to feel snubbed.

Things like this happen though. When I first signed, I asked all of my close co-workers to have parties for me...and one of the ladies that did, is my director's SIL!! But she did it for me, and my director was great about it. I haven't done any calls to try and book from the guests since most are my director's normal customers....just outta respect, these things happen. (Especially when my director and I are working on the same campus, AND there is another consultant at the same college) paths cross, and she was your customer in the first place, and she gets to pick. Just think it could have been the other way around...

I agree with everyone. If she wants to work with you...let her.

I know I know - but Roseanne has really been trying to book her - I just feel so bad.

Just say that you really hope she doesn't take it personally, and that you aren't trying to steal her at all, she simply asked to book a show off of you...

jenniferknapp said:
Just say that you really hope she doesn't take it personally, and that you aren't trying to steal her at all, she simply asked to book a show off of you...

Yeah - it's just this Jewish guilt thing...I can't get away from it.

dannyzmom said:
I know I know - but Roseanne has really been trying to book her - I just feel so bad.
Tell Roseanne that Jan contacted you, that you suggested that Roseanne do the show but you got the impression that Jan wanted to keep work and PC separate. That just might be it?!

The host chooses who does the show. Period.

Beth,

Good point about keeping work and PC separate. That is polite way to word it. I have a customer who referred a c oworker to me as a constulant. The consultant did three shows this summer and then nothing else She does not have a website and is looking at this as a hobby vs a business. I did contact her recently and she said she might start back up in March. Now the original customer showed up at a bridal fair and is interested in a shower and the registry. I tried to call once and the customer was busy but have been wondering how to word things when I talk to her. I don't want my downline to think I'm moving in on her groups but she also has never asked anything and the customer did come to me vs saying she would talk with my downline. I'm hoping I can get ahold of the bride today and try to get something settled.

"Yeah - it's just this Jewish guilt thing...I can't get away from it."

I was raised Catholic and suffer from the same guilt symptoms!!! I like the avoiding mixing work with PC, but I have done several shows with people that I work with so I too would wrestle with the guilt.

Once I was in a similar situation with one of my downline. I was very honest with the consultant and explained that I was going to leave the choice up to the host. I also explained to the host how I felt about possibly hurting the other consultant. She ended up choosing me. I tried very very hard to not hurt feelings by explaining to each person what was taking place and how I felt. I think that any hurt feeling that the consultant felt were towards the host and the host's friends that ditzed her behind her back.

Not only was I raised Catholic, but I am a Libra...decision making is near impossible sometimes and I want everyone to get along!!!:eek: :eek: It's a hard job keeping everyone happy!!!:(
Ann

I was raised Mormon so I know the guilt thing all to well as well, if it were me how ever, it sounds like Jan is most comfortable with you and wants to work with you, Iwould say Jan wants to keep work and Pc seperate. It is a tough one, I know. I haven't beenin the same situation YET, but things like this do happen.

Keep Your chin UP!!

Is it quite possible that Jan simply doesn't LIKE Roseanne? Because I'm just that nosy, I'd probably wind up asking Jan if there was a particular reason she wants me to do her show rather than Jan, and word it as if I wanted Jan to understand that MY feelings would not be hurt if she wanted her co-worker to do the show for her! Let the ball go in to her court!!

Good point, Laura!

I think I would word it how Laura would word it, unless it was someone in my upline then I would just do it. (sorry off topic). Carolyn I can see why this is bothering you.

1. How can I ethically navigate potential conflicts of interest with my network connections?

As a direct sales consultant, it is important to be transparent and honest with your network connections about any potential conflicts of interest. This includes disclosing any relationships or affiliations you may have with other companies or products. Additionally, always prioritize the needs and interests of your customers over your own personal gain.

2. What should I do if a potential customer in my network works for a competing company?

In this situation, it is important to be respectful and professional. You can still offer your products and services, but make sure to disclose any potential conflicts of interest and give the customer the option to make an informed decision. Additionally, avoid badmouthing or disparaging the competitor's products or company.

3. How can I maintain ethical boundaries when selling to friends and family?

When selling to friends and family, it is important to treat them like any other customer and maintain professional boundaries. This includes not pressuring them to make a purchase and respecting their decisions, even if they choose not to buy from you. It's also important to avoid using personal or emotional connections to manipulate sales.

4. What should I do if I accidentally make a mistake or misrepresentation to a customer?

If you make a mistake or misrepresentation to a customer, it is important to be transparent and honest about the error. Apologize and make things right by offering a solution or refund if necessary. It's also important to take steps to prevent similar mistakes from happening in the future.

5. How can I protect my customers' personal information and privacy?

As a direct sales consultant, it is your responsibility to handle customers' personal information with care and respect their privacy. This includes obtaining their consent before sharing their information with anyone else, keeping their information secure, and not using their information for any other purposes without their permission.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• AMTC
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
jwpamp
  • raebates
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
musicalglow
  • GingerChef