• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

My Microwave Caught on Fire Using the Chip Maker!!

In summary, the chip maker released and changed the cook time and instructions and people are having fires. Holly Smoke had a fire using the chip maker. PC changed the cook time but warned people not to cook them too long.
esavvymom said:
Honestly, I think it has little to do with a dirty (a.k.a. NORMAL) microwave. I think that was a customer service rep who didn't know what else to say.
Now, the SERIOUSLY filthy...that's another story! LOL

Okay I'll admit, mine's dirty and I had no problem! :)

Wow! I was really wanting to order this too. Not only am I not ordering it, I'm not going to sell it either. Until further notice. = (

I got mine in the mail the other day. I'm afraid to try it after reading all of the issues. We made some at our team meeting last night and nothing bad happened, but I have a cheap little microwave.This is too bad. I have a lot of customers that were really excited about this product, and I'm just not sure how comfortable I feel selling them.

I just wanted to let everyone know that I sent a message to the test kitchen and PC called me today asking questions about my use of the microwave chip maker. They seemed to take me seriously, much more than customer service did...

So sorry to hear about those that have had bad results with the Chip Maker, but I have to chime in and say I LOVE it... once you've figured out what times work for your microwave, the chips are amazing!! I will continue to sell it, just mention the cautions in letting microwave cool down in between batches.
It's definitely not something you can use to make a ton of chips for a large group, but for a small snack it's great.

I am not going to promote this product at all. If anyone asks me about it, I'm going to tell them the horror stories about it and if they still want it, at least I'll have warned them.

Ok. Has anyone else tried the chip maker with the NEW times given by HO? I just finished doing half a sweet potato worth (about 4 -5 trays). Two Minutes is NOT ENOUGH. It's taking 4 minutes minimum in my microwave.The original times worked- in my microwave. Anything less than that you just make hot/warm potato slices - still very soft, but slightly wrinkled. Customers will not be happy with that, if the U&C guide says 2 minutes for a tray of potatoes, but it takes 2x or 3x as long. I know microwaves vary. But THAT MUCH?? no. That won't sit well.Still not liking how hot my microwave gets, but I don't pay much attention when I cook other things- so I'll have to be more observant when I cook other things. I'm sure it gets hot then too.By the way- what do you season sweet potato chips with? Salt isn't a good choice.

katem51 said:
I am not going to promote this product at all. If anyone asks me about it, I'm going to tell them the horror stories about it and if they still want it, at least I'll have warned them.

I would discourage you from telling horror stories. Even if you stick to just one product, you're giving the company and all your other products a bad name. The logical thought pattern would be "Well, if this one is such a horrible item, but it's still in the catalog, what's wrong with all the other items?"

You are not required to promote it, and if you do have someone who asks about it or orders one, you can tell them it's one of those products, like our can-opener, that's a bit trickier and requires some special instructions. Then let them know about those instructions, and if they still want to purchase it, let them.

esavvymom said:
By the way- what do you season sweet potato chips with? Salt isn't a good choice.

Try Cinnamon or the Cinnamon Plus and let me know how it comes out. Or, after they're cooked the Sweet Cinnamon or Sweet Caramel Sprinkles.

katem51 said:

Totally agree with another poster when they said that you shouldn't talk bad about a product. You can always just tell them to make sure they watch their microwave closely while cooking this as mentioned by our HO.

esavvymom said:
Ok. Has anyone else tried the chip maker with the NEW times given by HO? I just finished doing half a sweet potato worth (about 4 -5 trays). Two Minutes is NOT ENOUGH. It's taking 4 minutes minimum in my microwave.

The original times worked- in my microwave. Anything less than that you just make hot/warm potato slices - still very soft, but slightly wrinkled. Customers will not be happy with that, if the U&C guide says 2 minutes for a tray of potatoes, but it takes 2x or 3x as long. I know microwaves vary. But THAT MUCH?? no. That won't sit well.

Still not liking how hot my microwave gets, but I don't pay much attention when I cook other things- so I'll have to be more observant when I cook other things. I'm sure it gets hot then too.

By the way- what do you season sweet potato chips with? Salt isn't a good choice.

Mine too took the original times as listed. Better be safe than sorry.

I have one on the way, so I am curious to see what happens when I try my microwave!

Don't use the Sweet Sprinkles, or at least, don't use them before cooking. Remember, the instructions say not to add sugar. Your chips won't crisp. You can, of course, add those after cooking. The heat would help them stick.As for sweet potato chips, we sprinkled them with PC cinnamon and they were very tasty.

Just used mine for the first time. First thing, I read the use and care guide very carefully. Impatient that I am, I used the red potatoes from my pantry. A little ripe/soft, so don't know if that made a difference in texture outcome. Also, I could have blotted dry a little better as well.

I made 4 trays. 3 minutes for 1 tray, 4 minutes for 2nd single tray, 5 1/2 minutes for 2 trays stacked. The observation of the first tray is tastey, but not too crispy. The 2nd tray - about the same. The stacked tray for 5 1/2 minutes - I found that the bottom layer seemed the most crispy. A good healthy snack yes, but not a lays potato chip. Once again, I didn't blot them dry as good as I could have. BTW, notice that I increased the amount of time with each batch.

Lets have a little chuckle about my house to give perspective to the burning microwaves. We just bought our house - brand new appliances. The microwave has an awesome exhaust fan on it. The annoying thing is that if I want to cook anything - stovetop, oven, microwave - I have to have that exhaust fan on. The first week in our new house, I set off the smoke detector. I hollared out - dinner is ready!!! The next thing I know our security system starts blaring really ear hurting loud. Since I didn't have a code, I didn't know how to turn it off. Eventually, when the minor smoke was gone, the thing shut off on its own. How embarrassing! Even more embarrassing was the police woman officer that showed up 15 minutes later, lol. Turns out they got lots of calls about the house alarm going off. Glad I have neighbors concerned enough to call the police!!!!

Anyway, I didn't have any issues of my microwave getting too hot. I did notice a lot of moisture inside the microwave, but it wasn't hot to the touch. I wonder if that affected the texture of the chips!! Also hope there won't be an issue later with the moisture.

My advice is to instruct people to read their use and care carefully. Seems to me that all of the issues posted here seem to have a caution/solution in the use and care guide. I find when I have a problem, it is because I misunderstood something I read in the instructions, especially on recipes. Take your time, stay close to the micro and give it a chance. Good Luck all! VA

I am one of the few, it seems, who LOVES my chip maker. I am thankful I've personally had no issues of over heating, but my microwave makes them perfectly crisp at 2 min 20 sec. In fact, my coworkers are munching on a bowl right now and my husband took a bowl to an off-site team meeting today and just texted me ... HE sold 3 chip makers, 2 simple slicers AND booked a party for me. LOL! Love my hubby!

I will certainly strongly encourage any buyers to allow their microwaves to cool down in between batches, but will continue to use mine, as I absolutely love it!

mountainmama74 said:
I wondered how jicama would do! What did you season them with?

No Jicama, or carrots as was mentioned earlier.

ONLY use potatoes, sweet potatoes, apple, and yucca. Nothing else.

Jicama was good. It's essentially the same texture and sugar content as yucca or white potato. Carrots have too much sugar.

I was making chips for my show tonight and the chip maker killed my BRAND NEW microwave!!! I followed the directions, let it sit and cool a couple minutes, etc. I had only done 2 rounds of chips.

I no longer love this product! Am waiting for a call back from HO to see about them replacing my microwave.:grumpy:

<h2>1. What should I do if my microwave caught on fire while using the chip maker?</h2><p>If your microwave caught on fire while using the chip maker, immediately turn off the microwave and unplug it if possible. Do not open the microwave door until the fire has been extinguished. Use a fire extinguisher or baking soda to put out the fire. Once the fire is out, contact Pampered Chef customer service for further assistance.</p><h2>2. Has Pampered Chef made any changes to the cook times for the chip maker after this incident?</h2><p>Yes, Pampered Chef has made changes to the cook times for the chip maker to prevent any further incidents. It is important to follow the updated cook times provided by Pampered Chef to ensure safe and successful use of the chip maker.</p><h2>3. Can you provide any tips for preventing my microwave from catching on fire while using the chip maker?</h2><p>One important tip is to always use the chip maker on a microwave-safe plate or dish. Make sure the chip maker is not touching the walls or ceiling of the microwave. Also, do not exceed the recommended cook times and keep an eye on your food while it is cooking. If you notice any smoke or unusual smells, stop the microwave immediately.</p><h2>4. Is it safe to continue using the chip maker after this incident?</h2><p>Yes, it is safe to continue using the chip maker as long as you follow the updated cook times and use it properly. However, if you have any concerns or experience any issues with the chip maker, please contact Pampered Chef customer service for assistance.</p><h2>5. Are there any other precautions I should take when using the chip maker?</h2><p>Yes, in addition to following the updated cook times, make sure to always use the chip maker on a microwave-safe plate or dish. Do not use the chip maker in a microwave that is not working properly or has any damage. And as always, be sure to read and follow all instructions provided by Pampered Chef for safe and successful use of the chip maker.</p>

1. What should I do if my microwave caught on fire while using the chip maker?

If your microwave caught on fire while using the chip maker, immediately turn off the microwave and unplug it if possible. Do not open the microwave door until the fire has been extinguished. Use a fire extinguisher or baking soda to put out the fire. Once the fire is out, contact Pampered Chef customer service for further assistance.

2. Has Pampered Chef made any changes to the cook times for the chip maker after this incident?

Yes, Pampered Chef has made changes to the cook times for the chip maker to prevent any further incidents. It is important to follow the updated cook times provided by Pampered Chef to ensure safe and successful use of the chip maker.

3. Can you provide any tips for preventing my microwave from catching on fire while using the chip maker?

One important tip is to always use the chip maker on a microwave-safe plate or dish. Make sure the chip maker is not touching the walls or ceiling of the microwave. Also, do not exceed the recommended cook times and keep an eye on your food while it is cooking. If you notice any smoke or unusual smells, stop the microwave immediately.

4. Is it safe to continue using the chip maker after this incident?

Yes, it is safe to continue using the chip maker as long as you follow the updated cook times and use it properly. However, if you have any concerns or experience any issues with the chip maker, please contact Pampered Chef customer service for assistance.

5. Are there any other precautions I should take when using the chip maker?

Yes, in addition to following the updated cook times, make sure to always use the chip maker on a microwave-safe plate or dish. Do not use the chip maker in a microwave that is not working properly or has any damage. And as always, be sure to read and follow all instructions provided by Pampered Chef for safe and successful use of the chip maker.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• DebPC
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • minirottie
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
gaddischef
  • Jennie50