1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: My microwave caught on fire using the chip maker!!

1. sherri lynn

sherri lynn Member

Hi ya'll. I was using the chip maker and I guess it got too hot and caught on fire. I see PC changed the cook times, but wanted to warn anyone not to cook them too long!

Sep 1, 2011
  2. vmgcooks

vmgcooks Member Gold Member

Sorry that happened to you. Thank you for the warning.

Sep 1, 2011
  3. flemings99

flemings99 Veteran Member Gold Member

Holly Smoke. Guess @ least it was at your house and not a party.

Sep 1, 2011
  4. NooraK

NooraK Legend Member Gold Member

They also changed the directions to state that you should allow the microwave to cool down if it gets hot during use. The previous directions just instructed to reduce cook time.

Hope the microwave was the only damage. Make sure you call HO in the morning to let them know. It wouldn't hurt to ask if that's covered by their insurance...

Sep 1, 2011
  5. sherri lynn

sherri lynn Member

You are right, I'm so glad it didn't happen at a party! :)

Sep 1, 2011
  6. Sheila

Sheila Legend Member Gold Member

Uh oh! :(

Sep 1, 2011
  7. ChefCKHall

ChefCKHall Advanced Member

You know I love my chipmaker but...shouldn't this have been tested and tested and tested and tested and tested and tested and tested to the upteenth time before releasing??

How on earth are we going to keep our hosts from playing with these things! You all know how much they REALLY listen to us at times.

Getting worried, would hate to have someones house burn down cuz the kids were making chips....and then.....

Sep 1, 2011
  8. cincychef

cincychef Advanced Member

My microwave over heated and broke using the chip maker the first day I had it. I borrowed one from a friend for now,but it doesnt fit the DCB or the chip maker :( I have been lost at dinner time.

Sep 1, 2011
  9. Sheila

Sheila Legend Member Gold Member

:( This is not good!

Sep 1, 2011
  10. esavvymom

esavvymom Legend Member Staff Member

My NED was saying she heard a few others had fires also....I didn't see the emails she was reading and referring to, but not cool!

To me, it's surprising. I can cook my chicken in the microwave for 30-minutes...but I can't do several batches of these chips without fear of it overheating?? I know when I tried it one day, I think I did 5 or 6 single batches. MAN was the inside of my microwave hot. I finally stopped.

Sep 1, 2011
  11. RossDeb2

RossDeb2 Member Gold Member

I thought it was just my microwave that did this. I made 3 batches of chips and my microwave overheated and wouldn't work for 20 minutes. I had waited a few minutes in between each batch so I didn't feel it should over heat. Is this safe to sell?

Sep 1, 2011
  12. cindylpal

cindylpal Member Gold Member

This is scary....Newsletter went out today, and the ONLY comments I've received is regarding the Chip Maker!!!!

Sep 1, 2011
  13. cochef

cochef Veteran Member Gold Member

After three double batches my "overheating" fan came on to cool the microwave - and that was even letting it cool off a bit in between while getting the next batch ready!! It was VERY hot inside. The DCB must absorb more of the heat than the light weight chip maker and chips. There is not much use of doing just one batch because they are getting eaten so fast - you just want to keep doing more :D

Sep 1, 2011
  14. wadesgirl

wadesgirl Legend Member Gold Member

I wonder if this is the biggest thing. Everybody who is having issues, make sure to tell HO about it!

Sep 1, 2011
  15. Teresa LM

Teresa LM Advanced Member

I am glad that they changed the times, since mine only took 3 minutes or so. I was doing embroidery before PC and there was a potato bag that everyone liked. I don't do them any more, due to safety issues. I don't know that I can sell the chip maker if there is an issue.
    :( This scares me!

Sep 1, 2011
  16. Jolie_Paradoxe

Jolie_Paradoxe Senior Member Gold Member

Can I ask how long it was in the micro when the fire broke out? Just curious.

I had seen the chip maker version on qvc and the number 4 min in micro stuck in my head and have been doing it along the lines of the updated times. I have a short attention span and have only done 3 batches at a time, but am curious to know how many batches are too many? Also how long before the danger of fire is at risk?

17. babywings76

babywings76 Legend Member Gold Member

My problem is that I just never got them to be cooked right. They were either soft or overcooked. I burnt so many batches trying to figure out the timing, I gave up after a while.

Sep 2, 2011
  18. mountainmama74

mountainmama74 Advanced Member Gold Member

It killed my microwave too! I was making a few batches for my Fall Preview show, and I guess it overheated? I'm going to call HO today, I didn't realize this was an issue. Maybe they'll take care of it.

19. crissy11

crissy11 Member Gold Member

I am not going to even try to sell this... this is waaay too many people having problems that should not be.. you get teens or inexperienced cooks using this and there are going to be some homes burned down or someone will burn themselves.. it won't be long before HO will pull this product and then I don't want to have to deal with all the backlash of returning and refunding.. I was very excited about this product but $5 commission is not worth the headache or worry..

Sep 2, 2011
  20. Becca_in_MD

Becca_in_MD Veteran Member Gold Member

You can check out the reviews from when QVC was selling this product a month ago. They sold something similar to the simple slicer with it.

Orka Set of 2 Silicone Microwave Chip Makers w/Mandolin - QVC.com

No fires reported.

I thought it was my micro that was freaking out. I had made the Autumn Risotto then started on the chips. On the 2nd or 3rd patch of chips the over-the-range exhaust fan went on. I couldn't get it turned off. My husband ended up tripping the circuit. I haven't tried making chips again - yet...

Sep 2, 2011
  21. raebates

raebates Legend Member Staff Member

I think the overheating issue is because you have so little in the microwave when you have the chip maker in there. After all, turning on a microwave with nothing in it will cause it to catch fire. If your microwave is hot, you'll want to let it cool down. Period. That goes for anything you put in a microwave.

Sep 2, 2011
  22. Brenda.the.chef

Brenda.the.chef Advanced Member Gold Member

I just used mine the other night, but it took WAY longer than the suggested 3 minutes to cook them! It was more like 8-10 minutes. I did let the microwave cool down though, so no problems. I will just tell my customers to make sure they let the microwave cool down between batches.

23. esavvymom

I'm thinking that when you have problems, or try the chip-maker, make notes of exactly what you are doing. If it's after only 2 batches for example you start noticing weird things in your microwave, make note!

And then report it to HO. They will definitely need to monitor this- because if we start selling these to customers and THEY start having problems (you know how folks read/follow instructions! and lets be honest- using it for 10-15 minutes in most peoples minds "should not make my microwave catch on fire.") I too think it has something to do with not enough being in the microwave to prevent the overheating.

But HO will be replacing alot of microwaves or returns on the chip maker from unhappy customers. I don't think I can in all honesty SELL the product, without at least clearly explaining it! And once you do that, they won't want to buy it anyway. not worth the risk. If someone asks, I think I may just say "As much as I love the company and all of our products, this is one that I would ask you wait a bit on. There seem to be issues with figuring this product out, and until they do, I don't feel it is a product I can recommend at this time."

Sep 2, 2011
  24. ShellBeach

ShellBeach Veteran Member

I'm excited to get mine - I just put in a sample order!

Thanks to you all for posting about this. I'd be very upset if I ruined my microwave with this. I really appreciate the heads-up to be very, very careful making chips untilI figure out how my microwave deals with this thing.

Also curious on what HO has to say about the burnt microwaves.

Sep 2, 2011
  25. esavvymom

I think the chipmaker is great- if you are only doing ONE potato worth of slices. :) about enough for ME! haha. Definitely not if you are trying to make enough chips for your family.....too much time.

Sep 2, 2011
  26. mountainmama74

For those of you having microwave issues because of this - please call HO. They need to know. I've called and am working on filing a personal property claim because of it. I'll let you know how that goes. But they definitely need to know there are issues!

27. esavvymom

Yes. I'd rather they know NOW, versus after a lot of sales, and then they need to issue a recall or stop-sell.

Sep 2, 2011
  28. Shawnna

Shawnna Senior Member Gold Member

This is very serious...nobody bothers to read instructions. To be honest I think most people will just do what we tell them when we demo. But really, I don't want to tell my customers that this could cause their microwave to catch on fire. The wiring in my house is not the greatest...can't run the coffee pot and the microwave at the same time...so this really scares me to even try it out.

Sep 2, 2011
  29. pamperedlinda

pamperedlinda Legend Member Gold Member

I haven't used mine yet. Thinking now I'll wait until they get all of this figured out.

30. chefjessicah

chefjessicah Novice Member

I've used mine quite a bit and haven't had any problems, so I was surprised to read all of this. But because I almost burnt the first batch, I cut the times way down on the rest and all has been fine. Maybe they're being cooked too long which is what's causing the problems?

31. esavvymom

But if folks who are having the most trouble aren't burning the chips, then it can't be "too long" in terms of the food results. Yes- I can see if they were burning them. :confused:
    I know for mine, it takes right around the 5 minutes - just as the U&C guide said. But by the time I got to the 3rd or 4th tray (one potato worth of slices), my microwave was REALLY hot inside....hotter than I've noticed it with other things (like DCB cooking for 30+ minutes).

Sep 2, 2011
  32. mountainmama74

When I called in my claim the guy told me that with the new instructions, there shouldn't be any problems. He also said that our customers will be getting the new instructions, not the ones we got.

33. esavvymom

Ok...so I just compared the previous times with the new times. I don't know that it would even work in mine. 2 minutes for a single tray. When I cooked my potato chips - single layer (and these were SUPER thin) - took 5 minutes to get them perfect, which was the original time set. I'll be surprised if 2 minutes does enough....but I'm willing to try.

But I'm a little confused by this statement referring to Double-Racks:
    Any ideas what that means? Do you cook them double for the minutes recommended (so 3 minutes for potatoes), then 30 second intervals till done? Or do you have to rotate them every 30-seconds the whole time? If it's the whole time, no thanks! It's a pain to rotate those trays every two minutes, let alone every 30-seconds. (haha- I know. Complaining.)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
    Sep 3, 2011
  34. babywings76

babywings76 Legend Member Gold Member

I hear ya! It just doesn't seem worth all the hassle for a few chips.

Sep 3, 2011
  35. Nanisu

Nanisu Veteran Member Gold Member

I made a bunch of different chips today, some with our spices, some with Mrs. Dash and Spike (my dh loves Spike). I did one tray a time and just switched them out. got over 130 chips with one large russet potato. Average cooking time 3.5 min. Did 3 min and checked, then 30 sec more if it needed it. I will be pre-making chips before my shows and taking them with me in the glass storage thingy. My family's favorite was the parmesan ones, added a little salt. No oil on any of them.

Sep 3, 2011
  36. jbondr

jbondr Member Gold Member

I finally tried the chipmaker and was under impressed. I felt like it was a lot of trouble for just a few chips. One batch burned and made the whole house smell awful. I am not sure I will even try this product again. Not sure what went wrong since I was watching it the whole time. I don't see this being a product I even want to talk about with my customers at this point.

Sep 5, 2011
  37. wadesgirl

wadesgirl Legend Member Gold Member

You have to start out with the shortest cooking time and then go up from there. Mine took over 5 minutes with two trays. It's like blaming the pan you are cooking a cake in for overcooking your cake.

I made a batch today and they cooked up perfect. No overheating, no problems with my microwave!

Sep 5, 2011
  38. jbondr

jbondr Member Gold Member

I did use the new cooking times and tried to pay close attention but they went from light to burnt in seconds. I am not saying it is the products fault but just didn't seem like it was worth all the trouble. I might give it a try in the future after I have had time to forget the awful smell it made my house. I am afraid I would have the same result at a show. Yikes, that would be a memorable show for all the wrong reasons.

Sep 5, 2011
  39. raebates

raebates Legend Member Staff Member

I've had a few people ask if I was going to use this at shows. No. Microwaves vary too much, and you really need to play with the timing the first few times you try anything.

That said, the jicama chips were good.

Sep 6, 2011
  40. mountainmama74

I wondered how jicama would do! What did you season them with?

Have something to add?