• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Humor Help: What Am I Doing Wrong - Chip Maker?

In summary, the speaker shares their experience using a chip maker and trying different cooking methods and seasonings. They mention the importance of blotting the potatoes and allowing the microwave to cool in between batches. They also suggest using different types of potatoes and caution against using sugar as it can cause the chips to burn.
scottcooks
Gold Member
So I excitedly took out my chip maker, got out my Costco bag of Yukon gold potatoes, quickly scrubbed and dried, started slicing. I was surprised at how wet the potatoes were.

I blotted both sides with a dishtowel, then spread slices on microwave chip maker, did 2 minutes, and - blah. thin, not entirely cooked dryish potato wafers.

So I did 2:22 and they seemed more cooked, but still flimsy.

I put some in at 3 mins and they were just kind of potato papers. Never crisp never crunchy.

I went and got a bag of kettle chips :grumpy:

I tried oil spritzing, they tasted better, but still not chippy or crispy. What am I doing wrong?:(

A double tray of potatoes in my Microwave take about 7 minutes. I take them out and rotate the trays every 2 minutes.. leaving my microwave open to cool in the process.

oh.. and I don't just blot.. I PRESS down pretty good.

try try again!

Not to mention that every potato and every microwave is different, it is a trial and error test of your will!

I started at 2 minutes and went up 30 seconds after that until they were smaller and starting to get crispy. It took 6 minutes in my microwave. Then you have to let them set a little and they will totally crisp up.

trial and error for sure! But once you figure out the secret of how much to blot; how much (if any) seasoning, and cook times to crispiness preference.... beware. It IS addictive!Make sure you leave that door of your microwave open while preparing the next batch to allow it to cool off.

It may be the potato itself. Try russet potatoes.

I used sweet potatos and in my microwave it took about 7-8 minutes. Yum-O! Keep trying their totally worth it. When they come out of the m.oven, I spritz them with EVOO and then salt & pepper them...so good!

I just used the normal red potatoes in the bag that you get in bulk. I also dried the potato slices off at first, but then I just layed them out on the tray without drying them, sprinkled them with seasoning, and microwaved them from 8-10 minutes. I had no problem with them getting crunchy or sticking. The creole seasoning sprinkled on them is awesome.

I had the same problem and worried about doing a chip & dip party because every microwave is different.
It took 7 minutes to make the regular potato chips in my microwave, and I have a fairly new microwave. My favorite is granny smith apples. Yummy!!!! They took 8 minutes.

I had a host ask to demostrate the apples at a show recently. She didn't ask ahead of time, just during her show. I cored the apple and thinly sliced with the SS. Some one had an idea to put the cinnamon sprinkles on them before they went in the microwave. BIG MISTAKE! THey burned (most likely becasue of the sugar). We did another batch, but needless to say, I didn't sell one microwave chip maker at that show.

Next time, I will make them ahead of time, or loan my tray to the host ahead of time and have her make them for the show.

Does anyone else have any ideas? I am afraid of doing a chip and dip show.

I don't use the double trays--i do one tray at a time for about 3:15+ and switch them out. I use salt/pepper, chile lime, citrus basil and my husband's favorite, SPIKE.

Sweet potato fries are awesome too.

ChefSandyR said:
I had the same problem and worried about doing a chip & dip party because every microwave is different.
It took 7 minutes to make the regular potato chips in my microwave, and I have a fairly new microwave. My favorite is granny smith apples. Yummy!!!! They took 8 minutes.

I had a host ask to demostrate the apples at a show recently. She didn't ask ahead of time, just during her show. I cored the apple and thinly sliced with the SS. Some one had an idea to put the cinnamon sprinkles on them before they went in the microwave. BIG MISTAKE! THey burned (most likely becasue of the sugar). We did another batch, but needless to say, I didn't sell one microwave chip maker at that show.

Next time, I will make them ahead of time, or loan my tray to the host ahead of time and have her make them for the show.

Does anyone else have any ideas? I am afraid of doing a chip and dip show.
I think the U&CG online says to not use any sugar on the items as it will burn in the microwave. If you are going to do them at a show, someone suggested before to make a couple batches ahead of time so you know how the host's microwave works and then do one during the show. Not much help when the host drops it on you like that but hopefully in the future it can help for you!

I don't blot mine off at all - just a bit of salt and seasoning. I do them after the demo...basically the last thing I show is the SS. We lay them on the chip maker and then I let them shop and eat while I clean up and put the chips in the microwave.

I'm really frustrated with it as well - I've tried two batches and yucky poo!!

It takes me about 4.5-5 minutes to make potato chips. I only use one layer of the racks at a time -- I have to keep rotating and adding more time when I stack one on top of the other, I find it takes way too much monitoring and checking and they don't really cook as evenly. So for me, doing one tray at time takes me less than one minute longer than doing them stacked, and it's a better product. I make them in advance and serve at the Show, and I am able to add seasonings while cooking them, as long as there's no sugar in it, and it works fine.

I have done the chips before the guests arrive so I can figure out how much time it takes in their microwave. Then I hand them out as people come in and they love it. I never make them while they are there I just show them how its done. Russett potatoes work the best.

Scott...i can't make it work right either! the ones in the middle of the chip maker burn and the ones on the outside are flimsy....arrrrrggghhh!!! i've been trying for 2 months now and STILL can't get it to do right!

I have shown the microwave chipmaker 3-4 shows and get great results each time. Some microwaves take less time, others more. Just slice with the simple slicer and lay potato slices on 2 layers of paper towels. Sprinkle with salt and wait a few seconds. Blot with 2 more layers of paper towels. I use only one maker at a time and put them on for 2 minutes. Then start adding time. Checking at 30 second intervals. They will start to get little brown spots on them when they are getting done. Then let cool a bit before pushing them up from the bottom. People are amazed at how good they are. I have sold several slicer/chipmaker combos.

I didn't have a lot of luck - some batches good, the next fail. One of my consultants demoed the chips at MY house and every batch she made came out perfect. She used one piece of paper towel for all the batches, just laying the chips on it, no patting the top. 2 1/2 minutes. It's not just the microwave that is a variable, it's also the user...Also, if doing apples do not core. The slices are so thin the core just disappears.

We've used it more successfully since then - I think it just needed to cook longer. Still - seems like a LOT of work for a few potato chips. The blotting thing, putting them near one another without touching edges, all take their toll... It's like 15 minutes of work before you can even cook them. I wouldn't show it at a show, too fussy. Someone who is having a good experience with it - anything you've particularly noticed? Tips? Tricks?

I did a booth today and was next to a 31 consultant who is a Facebook Friend of mine but we'd never met (turns out she is the DIL of a former longtime co-worker of mine....small town! LOL!) Anyway I had my simple slicer and she proceeded to tell me how she LOVES the chip maker and makes them all the time. She only does one tray at a time and just has the other ready to go in with a new batch. She blots A LOT and said the time takes a good bit longer than the instructions say. I am going to try mine again because I hated the thing! My sweet mom/show dishwasher said that was the WORST PC thing she ever tasted and I should NEVER make them again!

1. How do I use the Pampered Chef Chip Maker?

To use the Chip Maker, preheat your oven to 375°F. Slice your desired fruit or vegetable into thin, even slices and place them on the Chip Maker. Microwave for 3 minutes to remove excess moisture, then bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes until crispy.

2. Why are my chips coming out soggy?

Your chips may be coming out soggy if they are not sliced thinly enough or if they are not evenly spread out on the Chip Maker. Make sure to also microwave them before baking to remove excess moisture.

3. Can I use the Chip Maker on the stovetop or grill?

No, the Chip Maker is designed to be used in the oven only. Using it on the stovetop or grill may result in uneven cooking and potential damage to the product.

4. How do I clean the Chip Maker?

The Chip Maker is dishwasher safe, or you can hand wash it with warm, soapy water. Make sure to dry it thoroughly before storing.

5. Can I make chips with cheese or other toppings on the Chip Maker?

Yes, you can add cheese or other toppings to your chips before baking them in the oven. Just make sure to keep the toppings in a single layer and not to overcrowd the Chip Maker for even cooking.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• LoriLions
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • ChefetteDuJour
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
ChefetteDuJour
Replies