• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

My Host's Classic Rectangle Baker: Why is it Flaking?

In summary, the host's classic rectangle stone flaked because of food debris on it and the seasoning was coming off because she wasn't using the scraper to clean it.
kcjodih
Gold Member
At my show tonight my host asked me about her classic rectangle baker that's flaking. She pulled it out and it's entirely black except for the inside bottom that is black AND natural. Natural only because the years of seasoning is flaking off. She said she was stirring a macaroni and cheese that had been in the oven and there was pieces of the blackened stoneware coming off into the macaroni and cheese. She hasn't used it since then.

Does anyone know why it would be flaking? What the cause would be? If it can be fixed, scraped or cleaned so that she can still use it?

Thanks for any and all help!

Is she using soap on it? Could it be cleaning the seasoning off?

I had a host once who was really proud of how seasoned her stone was. Well, when I got there she showed it to me. It was really seasoned looking. BUT, it also had food debris on it. So I went to clean it and a lot of the seasoning layer was coming off. I think she wasn't using the scraper to clean it when she was done. Or wasn't really cleaning it at all since she was doing pizza over and over again. Some people think that's okay. I think if she takes the scraper and just uses a baking soda paste and goes to town on it, it may take more of the seasoning flaking part off, but that eventually it'll do it's thing and hit a point where it'll stop. But I would ask the test kitchens about this. Maybe they've heard of this before and it's some other reason.

I've had a customer tell me that she actually puts her stones in the oven while it is going through the self cleaning process. I almost dropped. That can be very hot!!! I told her I would not recommend doing so but she said she had done it for years. Lucky her! I wouldn't try it but if it works!!! I would not replace it if it broke. Has anyone heard of this before?

Hi there! Thank you for reaching out about your host's classic rectangle baker. It sounds like there may be some buildup of residue or seasoning on the stoneware, which can cause it to flake over time. This can happen with regular use and is nothing to be too concerned about. To clean it, I recommend using our Stoneware Cleaning Brush or our Nylon Pan Scrapers to gently remove any buildup. You can also try soaking it in hot water and using a mild dish soap to help loosen the residue. Once it's clean, make sure to dry it thoroughly before using it again.If the flaking continues, it may be time to replace the stoneware. Our stoneware comes with a 3-year guarantee, so if your host purchased it within the last 3 years, she can contact our customer service team for a replacement. If it's older than 3 years, unfortunately it may not be covered under the guarantee.I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Happy cooking!

1. Why is the coating on my Classic Rectangle Baker flaking?

The coating on the Classic Rectangle Baker is designed to release food easily and provide even baking, but over time it may start to flake. This can happen due to excessive use, improper cleaning, or exposure to high heat.

2. Is it safe to continue using the Classic Rectangle Baker if the coating is flaking?

No, it is not safe to continue using the Classic Rectangle Baker if the coating is flaking. As the coating flakes off, it can mix with your food and potentially be ingested. It is recommended to stop using the baker and replace it with a new one.

3. Can I prevent the coating on my Classic Rectangle Baker from flaking?

Yes, you can prevent the coating on your Classic Rectangle Baker from flaking by properly caring for it. Avoid using metal utensils, abrasive cleaners, and harsh chemicals on the baker. Also, make sure to let the baker cool completely before cleaning it.

4. How can I clean the Classic Rectangle Baker without causing the coating to flake?

The best way to clean the Classic Rectangle Baker without causing the coating to flake is to hand wash it with mild soap and warm water. Avoid using abrasive sponges or scrubbers. If there are stubborn stains, you can soak the baker in warm, soapy water for a few minutes before gently scrubbing with a soft cloth.

5. Can I still use the Classic Rectangle Baker if the coating is completely flaked off?

No, it is not recommended to use the Classic Rectangle Baker if the coating is completely flaked off. The coating is an important part of the baker's design and without it, the food may stick and not bake evenly. It is best to replace the baker with a new one.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jenne
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
jenne
Replies
Views
chefann
  • jenwallace
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies