• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Well Meaning Host Washed My Stoneware...

In summary, the person's stoneware cracked after being put in the dishwasher. They have to send it back.
jenwallace
Gold Member
I have a catalog show host that works at a day care. I took dessert in for the teachers on Friday. Didn't even think about giving her washing advice about the dishes I had left with her. She returned my rect. baker today, all clean...from the dishwasher! I have no idea if it is soapy tasting, yet. Haven't tried anything in it since it was returned. Anyone ever put their stoneware in the dishwaher? What are the results? What can I do to "detox" it if I need to? On a positive note...it's much cleaner looking than before! Doesn't look as seasoned.

You can soak it overnight in a sink full of clear water...do this a few nights in a row...changing the water each day...it should be fine.

Actually run it through the dishwasher again (yes I said that)...but WITHOUT soap and on the hot cycle. The hot, hot water should take out any of the soap that may have gotten on it.

I used to rarely use my stoneware because I hated to scrape/clean it until a former PC consultant taught me to put mine in the dishwasher in a separate load without the soap. They clean great and I have never in about 8 years of doing that found any hint of soap residue in taste or smell (I was leery at first and looked/smelled closely!).

I now use stones a lot and then put them all in a load at the end of the day.

jenwallace said:
On a positive note...it's much cleaner looking than before! Doesn't look as seasoned.

The hot water of the dishwasher tends to slow down the seasoning process a little...

I would never put stoneware in the dishwasher. It voids your warranty as the use and care says specifically not to do it. The heat and high pressure can cause hairline cracks.

I've had hosts wash my stones at shows in hot soapy water and they turn out just fine.

If they taste soapy, roll out crescent rolls all over the surface of your stone and bake them. They'll absorb the soap and help reseason your stone.

Ok my sil says that her stones have been washed in the dishwasher and they are fine. I would not want to take the chance. I do have a question though, I know my dishwasher takes jet dry in the door, as do many others, would that make a different in the stoneware? I was just thinking about that.

DebbieJ said:
I would never put stoneware in the dishwasher. It voids your warranty as the use and care says specifically not to do it. The heat and high pressure can cause hairline cracks.

I'll have to look at that - of course mine that go through the dishwasher are out of warranty anyway...

The person who taught me the dishwasher trick said it came from PC at the time that it could be done...of course it was 9 years ago...they probably found something new....

I dont' recommend this, but I have a host who only washes her stones in the dishwasher. She loves her stones and uses them often. She refuses to have anything in her house that can't survive the dishwasher.

maryhenderlite said:
Ok my sil says that her stones have been washed in the dishwasher and they are fine. I would not want to take the chance. I do have a question though, I know my dishwasher takes jet dry in the door, as do many others, would that make a different in the stoneware? I was just thinking about that.
Sure would! Jet Dry is one of those things that is great for keeping spots off your dishes, but would leave a residue on the stone. Ew!

When my mother ever so kindly did all my dishes for me one day, she washed all my stones with soap. I put a baking soda paste on them for a little while, then rolled out crescent rolls on them and cooked them. I threw that batch away and cooked another batch of crescent rolls on them to taste amd make sure there was no soap residue. It worked great.

great advice...good to know

I would clean it with a paste of baking soda and water, then cook a batch of bacon in it to re-season it.

I wash all my stones with soap and water now and it hasn't taken any seasoning off and nothing tastes likes soap. I wouldn't reccomend putting it in the dishwasher though.

I have a goofy question. How do you cook bacon in stoneware?

I mean, what temp, how long, do you need to cover?

My husband put my cranberry coverd baker in the diswasher it's cracked... now I have to send it back.... DON"T put them in the diswasher.... buy the brush in the catalog.... works as good as the scrapers..... I love my stoneware...

i would cry if something happened to my stoneware. :LOL:

I just heard that you could put the stones in the dishwasher without soap from time to time. This was on one of the DVD's or something. That's kind of scary!

1. Can I still use my stoneware after it has been washed with soap?

Yes, you can still use your stoneware after it has been washed with soap. However, it is recommended to re-season the stoneware to maintain its non-stick surface.

2. How do I re-season my stoneware after it has been washed with soap?

To re-season your stoneware, preheat your oven to 400°F. Then, lightly coat the stoneware with a small amount of vegetable oil, spreading it evenly with a soft cloth. Place the stoneware in the oven for 30 minutes and let it cool down before using it again.

3. Will the soap affect the taste of my food when using the stoneware?

No, the soap will not affect the taste of your food when using stoneware. However, it is important to thoroughly rinse the stoneware after washing to remove any soap residue.

4. Can I use my stoneware in the dishwasher?

No, stoneware is not dishwasher safe. It is recommended to hand wash stoneware with warm water and a mild detergent.

5. How often should I re-season my stoneware?

It is recommended to re-season your stoneware every 5-6 uses to maintain its non-stick surface. However, if you notice food sticking to the surface, it may need to be re-seasoned sooner.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• MrsCaleb
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
Amanda Goode
  • kcjodih
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
Amanda Goode
  • cheflorraine