• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

My Hostess Was Great, But Host Coaching Her Was Harder Than Heck!

In summary, the hostess feel like they are being critiqued the entire time and it is harder because they think they know what they are doing.
mommyhugz1978
Gold Member
I had a show last night, my hostess was great... she is a Marykay consultant.... but it was harder than heck to host coach her..... it wasnt' that she didn't want to listen to me about things.. I just felt like I was be crituqe (sp?) the whole time.... does anyone else have this same situation arise and how do you deal with it?

yes, it is harder because they think they know what they are doing.

With Mary Kay, for example, they LIKE their shows to be smaller so the guests get more attention. But we like our shows to be BIGGER so there are more sales.

So you really do have to spell it all out for them.

And yes, then they are comparing their company and ours the whole time. :)

The one thing that she did that kinda erked me was she wanted to call all of her guest she didnt' want to mail out invites.... well I understand when you are a Dr's wife.. and half of your guest work in a hosptial things tend to happen... so three guest out of 12 showed up.. she felt bad..... but then she handed me a huge wish list.... she said if I wasnt' a director with Marykay I would sell both.... my eyes poped out of my head!!!! She wants to host another show for me in the spring time!!

Yes, I had the same problem as well! One of my good friends sells Southern Living. She was very excited about hosting, but not very willing to listen to my host coaching!! I also felt as though she was critiquing me the entire time!! Oh well.... Her show was an 'alright show,' but I have definately had better!

I have this problem with my friend that sells Creative Memories. She sells mainly for the discount, and doesn't care that she doesn't really make any money as a business. When she hosted a PC show for me she kinda had the same attitute- like she didn't really care if people showed up or not. It was a $400 show but only because my sister ordered one of each glazed stone while they were on sale.

Not for me, since neither MK or CTMH does any host coaching themselves for their parties! Which I was totally shocked to find out! No tips sheets, no emails or calls nothing! In fact I had to do my own host coaching with myself with the CTMH gal and asked her all the ??? and emailed her to confirm head ct. , told her where should do the demo and asked what to serve for food and asked if I needed any supplies for the guests!?? ARe you kidding me!!

Have a show on the 15th with a MK consultant - so far so good, but we'll see...couldn't get her up to the 40 invites, but she has been using the website also for invitations and checking up on people and getting some OOs.

I have a good friend from church that sells CTMH..... and NO HOSTESS COACHING WHAT SO EVER!!1 I was furious... I asked do you want my guest list ? she was like for what.. to call my guest to remind them of the party she goes that is your job..... :eek: ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? I have a co-worker who I just recurieted and asked mewas like so how do I get a discount if I want to order I said you dont'... unless you have a show..... or it's kit inhancement month... OH she told me!!

heat123 said:
Not for me, since neither MK or CTMH does any host coaching themselves for their parties! Which I was totally shocked to find out! No tips sheets, no emails or calls nothing! In fact I had to do my own host coaching with myself with the CTMH gal and asked her all the ??? and emailed her to confirm head ct. , told her where should do the demo and asked what to serve for food and asked if I needed any supplies for the guests!?? ARe you kidding me!!

Leah--I'm confused by your post. Do you mean that you send invitations and do reminder calls for your hosts, and that's what you expected your CTMH consultant to do for a show you hosted? I do agree that some other direct sales don't focus on host coaching like PC does, but I don't really see why that would make you furious...
I am hosting an Arbonne show this Sat. and I don't expect my consultant to do reminder calls to my guests. I don't do them for my hosts.
Or am I missing your point all together. and we do get 20% off when we place an order through PP, don't we? I have never done it, but even if we don't we still get our commission? I hope you don't lose a recruit because she thinks she has to pay full price on everything.

Not furious... I was a little shocked!!! becasue that is what we do for our hostess.....

I am confused too- I offer reminder calls to my hostesses as a courtesy but not many take me up on it. And it is their job to do invitations since most of my hosts hand them out instead of mailing.

Also- not 5 minutes after I typed this about my CM friend did she call and book an April show saying she also wants something in November! Boy, do I feel badly!

I guess it just goes to show why we have the highest Average in the industry!!!!

I personaly mail out the invites, and do reminder calls..... that is just part of my hostess coaching...... it was the way I was taught by my recuriter.... whats their to be confused about?... that when your used to hosting coaching one way..... and another consultant from a differnt company doesn't do the way I do it.. It kinda shocked me becasue I thought that is what we ALL did... remeber I have only been doing this 1 YEAR!!

I understand your confusion, Leah. You were trained a certain way and thought that was the "official" way. To the best of my knowledge there is no policy about whether we mail out the invitations or make reminder calls. Personally, I don't do either. In my host coaching I make suggestions about when to mail out the invitations and when to make reminder calls. I know others who, like you, do both for their hosts. Still others do one or the other.It sounds, though, like your MK person didn't give you any clue as to who was expected to do what with her/your party. That's definitely a lack of host coaching.

I not only mail out the invites and make reminder calls..... for my hosts, but I also buy the ingridence as well... I want my hostess or host to have the least stress as possible.......but that is just me.....

I buy the ingredients for them but they do reimburse me (unless its for a FREE show) and they usually mail out their own invites (but these days most people Evite rather than hand out hardcopy invites).

Leah - we absolutely do get a discount on personal orders. Is that what your co-worker was asking? If she's a new consultant then her discount would be 20% off anything she wants; if she's past her $15,000 then it's 22% (in the US). I just want to make sure that you're not telling her something that's not true - some people stay active just to keep the discount on their personal orders! That's a HUGE benefit of being a consultant!

Hope that helps,
=) Jen

Where in Pampered Partner is the 20% off for a consultant order?? I have never had that when I order products for my personal use?

You'll want to click on the icon that looks like a magnifying glass. It's for non-commission orders. It takes the discound automatically.

I never knew that....... I told her the best way to get a discount to host her own show!!

When does it take the 20% off?? IT is shown me full price on stuff.....

After you add the items to your personal order, if you look at the order total at the bottom, it will subtract your discount there.

It depends on the host. I have one DS Host who has AWESOME shows every time, and a few others who don't. Some understand that they have work to do, they're the host, others forget that they're the host and expect it all to happen magically ;)

Leah,
I like the way your director trained you to send invites and make reminder calls. It is an option, but after implimenting sending the invites for my hosts, my show attendance and sales have increased. I finally started doing what she has trained you to do after 5 years in business! She wants you to grow fast!
I do offer to make reminder calls and the response is mixed. I have one host who wants to have a $1000 show this month and she was all for me making reminder calls!
We are all trained a different way...myself...I received very little training when I started and soon found out that training yourself just adds to any training you may or may not receive.
Personally, I don't swap parties out...because of my work schedule, I would be a bad host unless the consultant did all of the things we offer to do! (She'd have to clean my house too!!:eek: That's one service I will not offer to my hosts!!) My worst shows have been with consultants of other companies! Not 100% are poor hosts, but 90% are! We all have different experiences, however.
My friend is a TS consultant and even though she host coached me verbally, I have to SEE something to follow it and to this day I don't know what a host is entitled to with TS!!!

I have a friend who sales TS, all I got for TS hostess packet was the ingridence that TS provides to hostess... that's it... and some invites...... I have know clue what a hostess rewards are for TS either!! I have my frist recurit all ready, when I am host coaching I let them know when they book their show, that I need their guest list with names and phone numbers, becasue I will be mailing out the invites and I make reminder calls for their show.... sometimes I get the numbers and sometimes I dont' but I let them know up front what I need. I have never had a problem getting address either.... my MK host... she booked her party of another party and her's was a week later so their wasnt' alot of time to Mail out invites.....but her show is turning out better than I thought it was going to do when I left. I love the suprise effect!!! :D

baychef said:
Leah,
I like the way your director trained you to send invites and make reminder calls. It is an option, but after implimenting sending the invites for my hosts, my show attendance and sales have increased. I finally started doing what she has trained you to do after 5 years in business! She wants you to grow fast!
I do offer to make reminder calls and the response is mixed. I have one host who wants to have a $1000 show this month and she was all for me making reminder calls!
We are all trained a different way...myself...I received very little training when I started and soon found out that training yourself just adds to any training you may or may not receive.
Personally, I don't swap parties out...because of my work schedule, I would be a bad host unless the consultant did all of the things we offer to do! (She'd have to clean my house too!!:eek: That's one service I will not offer to my hosts!!) My worst shows have been with consultants of other companies! Not 100% are poor hosts, but 90% are! We all have different experiences, however.
My friend is a TS consultant and even though she host coached me verbally, I have to SEE something to follow it and to this day I don't know what a host is entitled to with TS!!!

mommyhugz1978 said:
I had a show last night, my hostess was great... she is a Marykay consultant.... but it was harder than heck to host coach her..... it wasnt' that she didn't want to listen to me about things.. I just felt like I was be crituqe (sp?) the whole time.... does anyone else have this same situation arise and how do you deal with it?

I don't know if they are all hard to coach, but I have found and have read here that MK reps are the hardest. I guess they think they know everything already.

I am doing a show for a Tupperware consultant and she is very open to the coaching. She's doing great and looking for ways (out of the box) to get bookings.

What is host coaching and why is it important?

Host coaching is the process of guiding and supporting a party host in order to help them have a successful and enjoyable Pampered Chef party. It is important because a well-informed and engaged host can lead to more sales and bookings, which benefits both the host and the consultant.

What are some common challenges when it comes to host coaching?

Some common challenges with host coaching include getting the host to understand the importance of their role, finding a time that works for both the host and consultant to do the coaching, and getting the host to invite enough guests to the party.

How can I make host coaching easier and more effective?

One way to make host coaching easier is to provide the host with a detailed timeline and checklist of tasks to complete leading up to the party. This can help them stay organized and on track. It's also helpful to communicate regularly with the host and provide them with tips and resources to help them be successful.

What are some ways to get the host more involved in the party?

Encouraging the host to participate in the planning process and allowing them to share their own experiences with Pampered Chef products can help them feel more involved. You can also suggest hosting a theme party or offering incentives for the host to invite more guests.

What should I do if the host is not responding to my coaching efforts?

If the host is not responding to your coaching efforts, try reaching out to them through different channels such as email, phone calls, or even in person. You can also offer additional support or resources, or consider involving the host's friends or family members in the coaching process to help motivate them.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• KBender295
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
rlombas
  • Cookin_With_Amanda
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • melaniepc