• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

My First Show Was Not Good. as a Matter of Fact, I'm Thinking I

issues with some of your friends. What type of issues? What do you suggest doing to combat that before it gets worse?Deb,You might want to reach out to your recruiter and upline for some ideas on how to combat this before it gets worse. Maybe host your own show or do a blog-style write-up on your journey to date. It sounds like you're motivated and have some great ideas, so please don't give up on this yet!
Where's that list of 118 ways to get bookings? That list has some ideas that are easy to implement (although as Colleen said in another thread, the passive ideas are the easy ones, but the active ideas are the ones that get results).I always indicate "Bring a friend and get a gift" on show invites - it can help boost attendance and get your name in front of new circles of people.

BethCooks4U said:
Always take Pampered Chef recipes in Pampered Chef products to every event.

This is a GREAT idea!

With strangers: Start your conversations with some observation about THEM. If you start it by telling them you are a consultant they will be turned off thinking you are pushy even if they love the product. People will open up to you once they feel you care about them as people first. It's amazing how easy it is to bring any conversation around to The Pampered Chef when it's the right time.

Christ Follower said:
One thing that has got me several leads and orders is to take out my catalog and set it on the counter when I reach into my purse for my wallet or checkbook. I almost always get a response from it.

And this is a GREAT idea, too!

Thanks Ann, Beth and Joy. No one is trying to act like the police; everyone just wants to help, and part of that help is ensuring the rules are followed (I know I'd rather get a post from a Cheffer than a call from Home Office!)

Back to the subject, keep on trucking, Deb. The leads are out there. There has been so much good advice offered. You said your list of 100 got you nowhere. Can you expand on that? Were they just not interested in hosting right now, or not interested at all, or ??? Maybe you can ask for referrals. All you need is that one yes, and it will open doors.

Keep holding your head up high. It will happen!

BethCooks4U said:
With strangers: Start your conversations with some observation about THEM. If you start it by telling them you are a consultant they will be turned off thinking you are pushy even if they love the product. People will open up to you once they feel you care about them as people first. It's amazing how easy it is to bring any conversation around to The Pampered Chef when it's the right time.

I like this...great insight.

dianevill said:
Back to the subject, keep on trucking, Deb. The leads are out there. There has been so much good advice offered. You said your list of 100 got you nowhere. Can you expand on that? Were they just not interested in hosting right now, or not interested at all, or ??? Maybe you can ask for referrals. All you need is that one yes, and it will open doors.

Keep holding your head up high. It will happen!
And stay excited!!:love: :chef:

Chin Up!My Nana always said "a bad beginning makes a good ending" - so hang in there, baby!

A couple of suggestions, definitely host a Grand Opening Show - you may even want to do a spring Launch or Preview (I'm holding mine on march 1) - tell people it's not a buying show (but they certainly can place orders if they like) but merely a peek at the new products, recipes etc. Hold a draw for people who book - either the new Grilling cookbook or the salad cookbook (to be ordered at their show - you put it under their name and use their discount, so it doesn't cost much). You can also hold a draw for a "free" show (that's where you pick up the groceries).

don't deliver flyers for such a show, but mail out personal invitations to everyone on your street and the streets surrounding and include either the catalogue or the mini catalogue. make the new SS 2008 recipes.

Also, go to your local arenas etc. and find out what local clubs are around and offer fundraiser shows! they all count, don't forget.

And, remind everyone on your email list of the discontinued items - only avail until Feb 29. Good luck!

ChefJoyJ said:
I'm not going to try to debate you. Please don't attack me again.

Great. So if you don't agree with what I have to say I'm "attacking" you. :rolleyes:

Listen. Let us just end this discussion because apparently this is going know where. You clearly don't see my point. :rolleyes:

I hate to have to chime in here but it seems my fingers are already typing....

I think it was more of HOW it was said, not WHAT was said. Nothing personal against Ann (Dear lord we'd be lost without her insight. lol) but the post lacked a little personal touch. "Just the facts, Ma'am" kind of attitude that I can see how it could rub someone the wrong way

So Deb - Just be consistant with your efforts. They will pay off. Some days you'll have a ton of leads, then there could be long gaps where nothing happens. True success doesnt happen overnight. Its a well planned struggle. Happy struggling. :)

Bookings--I 'knew' not to prejudge, but still was reticent about talking to my club associates about PC (after a poor reception in my workplace).

In passing at a gardening club meeting, mentioned to the President that I'd missed 2 recent meetings because right now, I'm concentrating on building my Pampered Chef business.

Golly...I was invited to be the 'guest speaker' next month!:sing: President of another local club will be there 'and she is always looking for speakers".

Lesson learned.

Many of the members are singles and empty nesters, so will be featuring the smaller stonewear, 8" skillet, etc.
I love gardening and Pampered Chef. :love:

vtodd71 said:
Did you stop and think that maybe Allison didn't WANT anyone looking out for her. Besides, I'm sure she knows the Internet Policy herself. Maybe she just choses to ignore it. Guess what? THAT IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!!!! :mad:

I guess the point she and I were making is that we are sick of these "I'm going to run to the teacher" types who constantly monitor everyones "illegal" activities. Stop it! :mad:

Glad I didn't start this one! ;) :) :angel:

Bookings are just like everything else in this business. It is a numbers game. If you talk to enough people you will get enough bookings. And once you get out of the "oh my goodness that is so expensive" crowd you will be better off! Some people just need to do some comparison shopping. I had one lady who pulled the "I can buy that at Wal Mart much cheaper." And after talking myself blue in the face about the guarantee, you get what you pay for etc...this is what I told her, "yes, you can get a version similar to this one at Wal Mart. If you are interrested in that one, by all means try it out. Let us know how it works when we see you at Julie's show next month." Guess what, she bought it, tried it, broke it (2nd use) and HATED it!! And she of course shared that at the next show! Gotta love it!!!

Last edited:
vtodd71 said:
Did you stop and think that maybe Allison didn't WANT anyone looking out for her. Besides, I'm sure she knows the Internet Policy herself. Maybe she just choses to ignore it. Guess what? THAT IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!!!! :mad:

I guess the point she and I were making is that we are sick of these "I'm going to run to the teacher" types who constantly monitor everyones "illegal" activities. Stop it! :mad:

If people don't want someone to point out they may not be following policy, they shouldn't post on a public forum what they are doing;)!

Deb chin up. YOU are definitely not alone in this scheme of things. When I first started the biz. My family and friends complained none stop my sister was even ugly about it. I just scratched her off my list of people to ask. I went outside the box and found out about local festivals. It was a little out of pocket money that I really didn't have at the time but it started paying off that was where I got my first host and then later at my church. Good Luck give your self a little more time. Drag out the dreaded phone book and circle the names of all the people you know. Or better yet I just called people out of the blue. You have to fill up the 100 no's to get a yes. So count up all your No's so far.

Keep us posted on how it goes.\

pam

pampchefrhondab said:
If people don't want someone to point out they may not be following policy, they shouldn't post on a public forum what they are doing;)!

I will agree with you on that point. However, Allison didn't need the Chef Police showing up and shooting her down either. I've come to the conclusion there are some people in this world who get a thrill out of pointing out mistakes and "violations of policy." I suggest they get a new hobby, Oh I don't know, maybe working their business and minding their own business while they are at it. ;)

fruit76loop said:

Well, leave it to me to start trouble again. ;) Actually I was just trying to defend another member who had good intentions but got shot down.

vtodd71 said:
I will agree with you on that point. However, Allison didn't need the Chef Police showing up and shooting her down either. I've come to the conclusion there are some people in this world who get a thrill out of pointing out mistakes and "violations of policy." I suggest they get a new hobby, Oh I don't know, maybe working their business and minding their own business while they are at it. ;)

I have been hands off of this, and I know I should probably just mind my business and not even bother reading this thread but it bothers me that someone was simply asking for help and now has a controversy going on in her discouraged thread. Hmmm... wonder what is going to discourage her now. We are here to help each other, the last thing we want to do is have her worry that her next question will spark a debate. You should probably stop trying to have the last word. It is continuing an argument that has no end or purpose anymore. What has needed to be stated has been stated. Lets be adults and stop. It's between Allison and Ann really, I don't even know where you come in. And since they are no longer posting about the issue maybe that tells us something.

I have an idea...why don't we all just chalk it all up to a difference of opinion and continue on with the original subject of the thread!

wickednoodle said:
I have an idea...why don't we all just chalk it all up to a difference of opinion and continue on with the original subject of the thread!

Yes ma'am. ;)

fruit76loop said:

I had one lady who pulled the "I can buy that at Wal Mart much cheaper." And after talking myself blue in the face about the guarantee, you get what you pay for etc...this is what I told her, "yes, you can get a version similar to this one at Wal Mart. If you are interrested in that one, by all means try it out. Let us know how it works when we see you at Julie's show next month." Guess what, she bought it, tried it, broke it (2nd use) and HATED it!! And she of course shared that at the next show! Gotta love it!!!

LOVE IT!!!!! :):)

pampchefrhondab said:

ITA!!!!!!!

DebbieJ said:
ITA!!!!!!!
Hey Debbie - I can figure out most acronyms, but not this one......help me out here.

Oh, I think I got it.....I totally agree too!

pamperedlinda said:

It took me a minute to Linda. Oh Debbie your SO cool:D

pamperedlinda said:
LOL, I had to think about it too Linda!

Deb, I hope you've gotten some great advice inbetween the negativity here. Best of luck to you; just hang in there...the bookings seem to come more naturally the longer you're a consultant! What I love, is when I tell someone that I sell PC; the thing I always here is "oh I love PC!". It's a name brand now that (most) everyone loves!:chef:

(& sorry but I have to say to Allison, at least someone pointed out what you did wrong to you first. When I got reported, I wish someone would have asked me about it first; instead of just going straight to HO. Ann was just trying to help. It's wrong to blatently ignore the company rules)

clarification!
pampchefrhondab said:

Here is my issue with being anyone who publicly points something out to someone.

1) The person who pointed out the Policies and Procedures assumed that I was talking about Meetup: World's largest community of local Meetups, clubs and groups! - Meetup.com and that I had I put "I'm Allison and I'm a Pampered Chef consultant" on my online profile.

2) Because that person assumed it, they were so quick to point out that I did something wrong and INSTEAD of Pming me to let me know. I would have gladly edited my post (because we can do this) and clarified it.

3) If that person was REALLY looking out for me, they would have emailed me or pmed me, it's on my signature. Of my error or of my misinformation on my post and how I should modify my post so I don't lead people to the wrong idea that it is okay to break the rules.

Instead I was pulled out in front of the class and was spoken about, but not spoke to!

So let me clarify it!

Yes, it was Meetup: World's largest community of local Meetups, clubs and groups! - Meetup.com.

But on my profile I put, "I'm Allison and I'm a kitchen & entertaining consultant, I'm here to meet others mommies because I am a new mommie myself."

No link to my website, no actual wording of PC anywhere!

I'm so glad that there are people feeling the need defend me, but really the ones who feel they have "god" complexes need to be reprimanded!

allisonserna said:
PS: I joined a new moms meetup group, and I have a show this month and in April just from putting I am a PC consultant on my profile. They haven't even met me, tomorrow is my first meetup to attend, and they have already booked their dates with me. So joining different group's to network helps as well.
allisonserna said:
So let me clarify it!Yes, it was Meetup: World's largest community of local Meetups, clubs and groups! - Meetup.com.But on my profile I put, "I'm Allison and I'm a kitchen & entertaining consultant, I'm here to meet others mommies because I am a new mommie myself."No link to my website, no actual wording of PC anywhere!I'm so glad that there are people feeling the need defend me, but really the ones who feel they have "god" complexes need to be reprimanded!
I thought this had died and was over but since you brought it back up....which is it? You specifically said in your first post that you put PC in your profile. Now you say "someone" assumed you put that in and that they should have PM-ed you to clarify. Seemed pretty clear to me. It's been almost two weeks...let it go. Everyone has already taken their stand. The majority believe that it's better to clarify policy so that new consultants don't receive wrong or misleading information. While receiving a PM telling us we are wrong might be preferable, it's not always feasible. Some people don't check PM's or emails often. In the meantime, cheffers are reading the original post and "storing" wrong information. Posts are quicker than PM's.

Last edited:
Allison - If you came back to stir up more trouble, give it a rest. Your "thanks" thread stooped to an all new low of attacks on people here in general and frankly those who only visit do not need to see attitudes like that within PC.

I did not see anyone on here with a "god" complex except your postings of I'll do what I want so Chef Police leave me alone.

This is a great forum and we don't need anyone spoiling that.

Personally, I could care less what other sites you were on...

vtodd71 said:
If some of us didn't comment when we found such errors in posts a lot of new consultants would be getting in trouble with HO when they did what they thought was okay because someone here said it was.

(Todd is it?): I am really wondering what your agenda is here. Many of your comments appear to me to be said to get others upset. People are just trying to help here. As far as Allison is concerned, she is obviously able to speak for herself. It doesn't look like she needs defending.

Allison, I think you need to lighten up. No one was attacking you, just pointing out policy. Your reaction has been way too strong, in my opinion.

I too thought this issue had been put away. Enough is enough. We don't need this kind of pot stirring. Let's just help each other IMPROVE our businesses!

Once again she posted and ran to stir up trouble, let's just let this die again...

I completely understand how you are feeling, I have done several shows from my home, mainly due to the fact that no one in my neighborhood wants to deal with the mess, At this point, I love to have it at my home, I get to choose the menu, the hours and the commute is a breeze.
You will always have people who are not as excited as you are about the product. I have worked fairs before where I was lucky to get even one bite. Stick to it, It will become easier. I head been doing it for four years and this is the first year I finally feel like I am ahead.
I take catalogs with me everywhere. The denist the hospital, the doctor, the oil n go, the mcdonalds, the school, I have even taken it to sams club, some days I get a bite others nothing, it is hit and miss but the hits are GREAT

Get a life!
vtodd71 said:
You got to watch it Allison. Some people on this board just LOVE to point out violation of policy and other faults. It makes you wonder if they spent less time trolling this board looking for "illegal activity" and more time on their business, their sales would hit the roof. :rolleyes:

By the way, I've saved several of your Word Documents and found them very helpful. Thank you!

My goal this year is to use Chefsuccess for it's helpful uses: flyers that I don't have to reinvent the wheel on. Also, to give needed help to someone who ask for it. It's obvious who has a life and takes PC seriously. Good for you Todd. You're pointing out the obvious. Some people like "the goddess of PC" needs to get a life and stop using this forum as a personal soap box. I got my spring $3000 in sales free products. Did she? NO!! I spend my time working my business.

Listen up here!

I was working my business!

I have a new born and am doing this PC thing full time - I'm here to clarify!

I had 4 shows in the past 2 weeks, so unlike other people. I dont have time to go back and forth here.

remember something called double points. I was busy working my business and trying to get as many double points as possible!

Why not try it, instead of saying I have nothing better to do but stir up things!

Also remember something called 3-2-1? Well I do something called 5-2-1. And so far I'm on track!

Sitting here online "stirring up stuff" isn't my intension! I'm here to get things done. I just now got around to reading the posts about me and my issues with being treated unfairly, and gosh sorry I didn't do it sooner, but I didn't have the time! Please forgive me! But golly what a sorry excuse, that you out there have plently of time! I wish I could barrow some. But honestly I'm glad I dont have the time to sit online here for 5+ hours and go on and on and on!

secondly, as far as my "exact wordings online". We are in a PC world when we come to such websites as this. We tend to use PC terms such as "Clusters", "director", etc. So when I said; I'm a PC consultant on my profile. I meant that for our website, in such a way as you know I put something along the lines of being a consultant both you and I know that means being a PC consultant!

Gesh people, for me to defend every word I say online really makes this part of the business a real PAIN!

lockhartkitchen said:
My goal this year is to use Chefsuccess for it's helpful uses: flyers that I don't have to reinvent the wheel on. Also, to give needed help to someone who ask for it. It's obvious who has a life and takes PC seriously. Good for you Todd. You're pointing out the obvious. Some people like "the goddess of PC" needs to get a life and stop using this forum as a personal soap box. I got my spring $3000 in sales free products. Did she? NO!! I spend my time working my business.

Wow. I am amazed at the vehemence in some of the postings in this thread. Either you are unaware of how your tone is perceived or you don't give a damn.

Please be considerate of others. We are here to share ideas, ask questions and educate. If you are unable (or unwilling) to consider how your postings will affect others, please don't bother to post.

Most of what is done on this site is done with good intentions. It is better to hear from another Consultant that something you are doing could get you in trouble with HO than to have HO call and say "you're in trouble".

In this situation, a private email would not have stopped other (less experienced) Consultants from reading an idea that doesn't follow HO guidelines. That (I believe) is why the message was posted.

The written word (no facial expression and no vocal inflections) is hard to interpret. Many times I've read messages (and there are a few in this thread) that feel like someone is screaming. That is unacceptable behavior.

If you wish to share an idea or question, great. If you plan to attack, don’t waste our time or your “breath”.

chefjeanine said:
Wow. I am amazed at the vehemence in some of the postings in this thread. Either you are unaware of how your tone is perceived or you don't give a damn.

Please be considerate of others. We are here to share ideas, ask questions and educate. If you are unable (or unwilling) to consider how your postings will affect others, please don't bother to post.

Most of what is done on this site is done with good intentions. It is better to hear from another Consultant that something you are doing could get you in trouble with HO than to have HO call and say "you're in trouble".

In this situation, a private email would not have stopped other (less experienced) Consultants from reading an idea that doesn't follow HO guidelines. That (I believe) is why the message was posted.

The written word (no facial expression and no vocal inflections) is hard to interpret. Many times I've read messages (and there are a few in this thread) that feel like someone is screaming. That is unacceptable behavior.

If you wish to share an idea or question, great. If you plan to attack, don’t waste our time or your “breath”.

FINALLY!! Someone with the words my fingers couldn't type. Thank you, Jeanine! PUT THIS TO REST YA'LL!!!!!!!!!

lockhartkitchen said:
It's obvious who has a life and takes PC seriously. Good for you Todd. You're pointing out the obvious. Some people like "the goddess of PC" needs to get a life and stop using this forum as a personal soap box. I got my spring $3000 in sales free products. Did she? NO!! I spend my time working my business.

Ouch Julie!!! Why so nasty?

Dang. I popped the PC popcorn last night, and don't have any left for this show.

who is the "goddess of PC" may I ask? I've always wanted that title, so who am I gonna have to talk to about gettin' it????!!!!

blestmom, most of my extended family doesn't cook. They are 2 incomes and get a lot of take-out. They are the ones who complain about PC being expensive. And for them, it would be...if they only cook one or two meals per month, why invest in good cookware or even a garlic press, for that matter?

Not saying your family is like this...they might not to cook because they have awful tools, though.

You'll get there, eventually. I talked to my accountant before I started. She told me most direct sales reps need 2 years to build a business of repeat customers.

Hang in there!

I am the goddess of PC. I have made every recipe in every PC cookbook.

snort

I shoulda known, Kay!

really, who ARE these folks talkin' about when they type "the goddess of PC"???

No idea, don't care, and this thread is turning into another train wreck I have to keep looking at.
I can see both sides' points, but I don't have a dog in this fight.

I have my guess, and I'm sure it's right, but right now I'm really looking for the smiley that says...

"Don't feed the trolls"

It's definitely needed right now!!!

didn't we have this "troll talk" elsewhere Janet??? ;)

I am no longer even gonna look here, as I have my guess too and I can't justify adding fuel to a fire only a few are flaming.......going to "work my business" and make some calls!

All I can say is tsk, tsk, tsk. What a childish waste of time.

The original poster wanted help and look what happened. :eek:

Someone tried to help, someone gave misinformation, someone corrected it so the new consultant would know what our company expects, and it is reduced to this...

Just one additional clarification on the internet ploicy....it is a lot stricter than most realize. I recently made an inquiry to HO about the on-line directory of a small business association I belong to. Even vague references such as 'kitchen consultants' or 'consultants for a well-known company that sells stoneware', etc is a violation. The policy is nada, zilch, no way jose.

Just sharing so those who want to run their business according to the policies (whether we agree with them or not) know.

legacypc46 said:
Just one additional clarification on the internet ploicy....it is a lot stricter than most realize. I recently made an inquiry to HO about the on-line directory of a small business association I belong to. Even vague references such as 'kitchen consultants' or 'consultants for a well-known company that sells stoneware', etc is a violation. The policy is nada, zilch, no way jose.

Just sharing so those who want to run their business according to the policies (whether we agree with them or not) know.

WOW! That is much more restrictive than I realized and I read "the rule book" cover to cover. Thanks for the info!

Now, I can understand how people would be likely to know what a "kitchen consultant" is, but what about just "independent consultant"... which, in theory, would lead people to ask for which company. Is that wording allowed? Since you talked with HO directly, what IS allowed... if anything?

I specifically asked about alternative wording with no direct reference to the company. No can do.

The rationale has to do with ensuring that cooking shows remain the focus of our business. The concern is internet contacts could cause on-line ordering to take the forefront....and we already know from ebay how easily that could happen.

So, two ways of looking at it: the company is overly strict with us or intentionally protective of us. I'm going for the latter view....even though I think the logic is a little flawed. (I'd rather work my business than get bogged down with policy wrangling.)

Christ Follower said:
One thing that has got me several leads and orders is to take out my catalog and set it on the counter when I reach into my purse for my wallet or checkbook. I almost always get a response from it.
This is an excellent idea! I think I'm going to borrow this idea, too!

<h2>1. What can I do to improve my first show?</h2><p>It's common for first shows to not go as well as expected. One thing you can do is to reflect on what went wrong and try to improve for future shows. Maybe consider practicing your demonstrations beforehand or asking for feedback from other consultants. Don't give up - it takes time and practice to become a successful consultant.</p><h2>2. How can I handle negative comments about the prices of Pampered Chef products?</h2><p>Remember that not everyone will see the value in our products, and that's okay. When faced with negative comments about prices, try to focus on the quality and guarantee of our products. You can also mention the opportunity to host a show and earn products for free or at a discounted price. And don't take it personally - some people just have different spending habits and priorities.</p><h2>3. How can I find more hostesses for future shows?</h2><p>Don't limit yourself to just friends and family - reach out to other potential hostesses in your community or through social media. You can also offer incentives for hosting a show, such as free products or discounts. And don't be discouraged if some people decline - just keep asking and promoting your business.</p><h2>4. How can I handle feeling discouraged after a bad show?</h2><p>It's completely normal to feel discouraged after a bad show, especially when it's with friends or family. Remember that one bad show doesn't define your entire business. Take a break if you need to, but don't give up. Focus on the positive aspects of your business and try to learn from any mistakes made during the show.</p><h2>5. Is it common to have a slow start when starting a Pampered Chef business?</h2><p>Yes, it's common to have a slow start when starting any business. Building a customer base and finding hostesses takes time and effort. Don't be discouraged - keep promoting your business and showcasing the value of our products. With dedication and perseverance, your business will grow and become successful.</p>

Related to My First Show Was Not Good. as a Matter of Fact, I'm Thinking I

1. What can I do to improve my first show?

It's common for first shows to not go as well as expected. One thing you can do is to reflect on what went wrong and try to improve for future shows. Maybe consider practicing your demonstrations beforehand or asking for feedback from other consultants. Don't give up - it takes time and practice to become a successful consultant.

2. How can I handle negative comments about the prices of Pampered Chef products?

Remember that not everyone will see the value in our products, and that's okay. When faced with negative comments about prices, try to focus on the quality and guarantee of our products. You can also mention the opportunity to host a show and earn products for free or at a discounted price. And don't take it personally - some people just have different spending habits and priorities.

3. How can I find more hostesses for future shows?

Don't limit yourself to just friends and family - reach out to other potential hostesses in your community or through social media. You can also offer incentives for hosting a show, such as free products or discounts. And don't be discouraged if some people decline - just keep asking and promoting your business.

4. How can I handle feeling discouraged after a bad show?

It's completely normal to feel discouraged after a bad show, especially when it's with friends or family. Remember that one bad show doesn't define your entire business. Take a break if you need to, but don't give up. Focus on the positive aspects of your business and try to learn from any mistakes made during the show.

5. Is it common to have a slow start when starting a Pampered Chef business?

Yes, it's common to have a slow start when starting any business. Building a customer base and finding hostesses takes time and effort. Don't be discouraged - keep promoting your business and showcasing the value of our products. With dedication and perseverance, your business will grow and become successful.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ShelbyMichalek
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Sheila
  • mylilchunkymonkey
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Julie Bastuk
  • littlemaisyPC