• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

My First Show Was Not Good. as a Matter of Fact, I'm Thinking I

issues with some of your friends. What type of issues? What do you suggest doing to combat that before it gets worse?Deb,You might want to reach out to your recruiter and upline for some ideas on how to combat this before it gets worse. Maybe host your own show or do a blog-style write-up on your journey to date. It sounds like you're motivated and have some great ideas, so please don't give up on this yet!
blestmom
My first show was not good. As a matter of fact, I'm thinking I shouldn't even keep trying. Here's what happened:

A friend of mine from church offered to host a show. She invited 13 people. What she didn't tell me, until I got there, was that it was only 2 moms, and the rest kids. The show itself went well. I thought I demonstrated well. But what really bothered me was the 2 moms, who are (or at least I thought) were my friends. One lady kept talking about how much everything cost, and how you could get it cheaper at W**lMart. I very tactfully mentioned the quality of PC items, and the guarantee. But she just wouldn't stop.

The other lady, a friend of mine, took the catalog home. My daughter spent the night there, and when I went back today to pick up my daughter, all I heard was the high cost of everything. She complained about the Ultimate Mandolin being $60, and her husband just went on and on and on about the ridiculous price of the cookware. I mentioned how they could get if for 1/2 off or free if they hosted a show, and then they just complained about selling to your friends, etc.

I was almost in tears when I left. I don't care that they didn't buy anything, but geez...I was hoping for maybe some support and encouragement from my friends as I start a new business. I certainly did NOT get that.

Then my Mom called when I got home. She and some of her friends ordered a few things from the catalog in a catalog show, but they also complained about how expensive everything was.

So, I don't know. I'm sitting here almost in tears. I have no other shows on the books, I've exhausted my friend list, my list of 100 (that got me NOWHERE) and my husband tried but no one at either of his jobs is wanting to host a show.

Anyway, I don't mean to sound discouraged, but I am.

Deb

Hold your head up, talk to your recruiter and drum up some ideas for shows and get outside your circle. There are SOOOO many people out there that love PC and appreciate the quality. Don't let a few bad apples spoil the bunch, figure you just got them now rather than later!

Sorry your first party wasn't so good. I didn't have the best of luck when I first started either. Have you tried hosting your own first show as a Grand Opening?

I'm so sorry you were treated this way by "friends." Trust me, we've all heard those criticisms. I hope you don't let this experience chase you away from PC. Please give it a chance. Janet's right. (I know you love hearing that. :)) Talk to your recruiter. If she's not your director, talk to your director. They should have some ideas for you. If not, come back here. We'll help you out.

Deb,

You gotta just hang in there. I know it's not easy. Some people seem to take off with a flying start, but for others, like me, it takes time and a lot of hard work. And, honestly, sometimes it's easier when you get outside your regular circle. Like Janet suggested, work with your recruiter and try to find outside ways of getting leads (look for fairs, bazaars, etc., at which you can set up a stand). Obviously, you don't want to overinvest at start-up, but, sometimes you really do have to spend money in order to make some.

Good luck. Try to not get discouraged. You can always come on here to vent and look for words of encouragement. Most of us have gone through a dry spell. Just try to keep your eyes looking ahead (and upward) and stay positive. If it's meant to happen, it will. It may just take some time...

Take care,

Tammy

The first time you rode a bike wasn't perfect. What you need to do now is eat some chocolate, take a nap, whatever will get you into a better mood by pampering yourself. Then, talk to your recruiter and upline and get ways to combat that BEFORE those types of comments happen. Then, get on the phone and outside of your friends and family as much as possible. You started this business for some reason and you need to share that with people. Tell them about the changes the products have made in your cooking, too.

I'm so sorry to hear that Deb - shame on them for bursting your bubble! You mentioned having a daughter - how about asking her teacher to do something or see if you can doa fundraiser with her school. Does her school have a newsletter? If so, put an ad in it. See if your local grocery store has a community bulletin board and put up a flyer there. Drop off catalogs & business cards at nail & hair salons in your area. See about doing someting at your dentist or doctor's office. Is there a Curves or Ladies Workout place near you? Maybe you can put a drawing box there to gather contacts - offer a 'free cooking show' or a $25 gift certificate redeemable with you.

It's depressing when you think you've run out of leads. Go ahead and have your pitty party - then as Rae would tell you "Pull up your big girl panties and move on!" LOL Don't let a little obstacle like the lack of a host stop you....think ouside the box and go find a host. You CAN DO IT. You just have to be creative sometimes.

Look in the files here too, there are lots of good ideas.

Two things that helped me in the beginning. I belong to my local Curves. Our manager allows members to set up a display and leave it there for a
week. I had a basket for folks to put a drawing slip in and offered a prize
drawing at the end of the week. I picked up my first $1000 party out of
one of the slips that was from a person new to our area who loved PC.

Second, I noticed that we had several new homeowners in our neighborhood, based on the fact that I had seen realty signs down, and vans with folks moving in. I called the neighbors on either side and asked if they had met the new neighbors? I then offered to have a get acquainted party, and asked when they could come. I then got the phone numbers they new neighbors had given them, and called to say we all wanted to meet them.
I had seven attend. Got one booking from the new neighbor, which led to two other booksings.

Now that I am telling you this, I should get busy and do the above again, and pump up my own business.

Consider buying the PC black bag with the clear plastic front, and start carrying it rather than a handbag. Be sure the PC catalog shows as you carry it. Take it to all your appointments, and offer to share it with the
receptionist, and others waiting with you. I got an order from a woman in
my dentist's office, and one from the radiology tech that way. Every little
bit counts, and pulls you along for one more day of persevering.

I am sorry that happend to you Deb, it is sometimes discouraging but you have to keep your chin held up high and smile. Try making some flyers and putting them on bulltin boards like at the grocery story, or dry cleaners, ask if you can leave catalogs at the salons, florest, if their is a bridal shop ( wedding regsistry), call and see if you can leave business cards at the local chamber of commerce. Check into county fairs. I was really discouraged my first year but I held on and kept at it. Don't give up. See if their are any Bridal fairs in your area that are coming up. Like Rae would tell you " Pull up your big girl panties and move on!" YOU CAN DO IT!!! don't let things get in the way of your dreams. Think outside of the box......

Really sorry about your showI am really sorry about your show. How horrible that your own friends wouldn't support you. Which is why I always encourage every Pc consultant I know, including my recruit, to book outside of your social circle.
I know, I know everyone insists that you should start within your social circle to start having shows but I tend to disagree now. I don't want to be dependent on friends, and family before I actually have a good customer base.

I mean most of my friends, honestly, don't have the spending cash to buy many pampered chef items. That's just the way it is for them. They have limited budgets and can't imagine spending hundreds of dollars on cookware, stoneware or anything else for that matter, even at 50% off.

Now not all of my friends are on a tight budget, about 15-20% are not and those are the friends I first introduced PC to. Now I have found people outside of my social circle who love PC and don't complain as much about prices and so forth. You can't please everyone, that's for sure. The ones that did complain, now hear from other people how great PC is and ask if they can have a catalog or have a show.

I feel much more comfortable when friends and family ask me to do a show for them or place an order, instead of the other way around. Only cause I don't want them to feel like I am taking advantage of them or I am forcing them to do it. I have friends who will do it because they don't want to say no. I don't want them to do that.

Now don't get me wrong there are some friends who I told "You are having a show for me and that's it!" But I knew they would support me 100%. Including my mother and mother in law. We have a good relationship.

My husband's has an aunt that went on and on about how expensive Pc was but it's because she didn't have the money for these items, period. I tell them it's not for everyone. It's for those who truly appreciate good quality kitchen tools and products. Those who use them each day and can benefit from not having to run to Walmart to replace cheap products. (With no warranty I might add after only a few months). I tell them I have plenty of customers who book shows and place orders because they love PC. That's what I want, not someone who is going to complain and place an order against their will. I want happy, loyal customers.

Debbie :D

I have a huge family and only a few of them have hosted shows for me and I really appreciate that they did. However, family and friends are not the greatest help when you are starting your business. Not everyone is positive and they want to "protect" you by pointing out the negative. When my best friend told me that she joined Tupperware :eek:, I offered IMMEDIATELY to have her first show. Yes, I had encouraged her to join PC and her thought was that we shared family and thought that would limit her (yeah...NOT so much!) and people in her area didn't really know about PC (yes, again...hello...I WISH that I had that problem a little anyway...people that don't have everything). Her mom complained (had a show, but not supportive). It happens to everyone and in every company.

Do not give up. Just do some of the suggestions. Sometimes, when I need sales, I get some other consultant friends (from other companies) together at a local coffee shop and have an open house. They don't charge (we just "have" to eat lunch there) so if it doesn't go well...no biggy. We invite our customers, but much of MY sales are from others. My customers know they can contact me anytime.

I think if you do a little research about the prices of certain "expensive" items such as our knives, cookware, or mandoline, you will see we are quite comparable in price. With much better quality I might add and a company with a solid guarantee! Look into that and next time you will have something to defend yourself with. Also, I can't remember the exact percentage... but someone does on here for sure! How much of our catalog is under $10 and $20?

Don't get discouraged !:p I have had several very slow months and yes I got those it's cheaper at ____ comments as well. What I explain is that when you buy the cheaper items you get what you pay for. Cheaper is not always better! Before I joined TPC I was replacing my cheaper items every year, buring cookies, scraping off food with a knife, etc. With TPC I have not only saved money in the long run, but I beleive I am cooking my meals better and healthier for my family.

:chef:

Sometimes Family and Friends are the worst! :grumpy: I felt better once I broke thru my F&F circles....
Maybe pamper a business....your doctor or dentist office, your salon, your local blood bank! (I got orders by donating a double cell donation once, it takes over an hour to do and you just take your catalogs and work from the chair!), do your own fundraiser for your favorite charity, call your local relay for life office to offer to do shows for the team captains, call your local schools PTA chairs to offer fundraisers for the kids, contact your local chamber of commerce to find events you might be able to have a booth at, get your kids involved (my daughter got me a catalog show last weekend!).

Stick with it, we all have ups and downs in this business! If you persist, you will succeed!
{hugs!}
Michelle

I know how you feel, I was discouraged at first too. I have friends too who said "its all so expensive". Well after my first show resulted in NO ORDERS. I started trying to find ways to lure in customers. Well, I created the $10 & under list (before seeing it on this site!).
I was out with some friends and mentioned I was now a consultant....they immediately started with "I am not having at party" my response "thats fine, but if you ever want anything buy it from me!" Then I said "BTW did you know that there are about 90 items $10 and under" - their eyes got big and wanted to hear more. It was right before thanksgiving and the one friend does goody bags for xmas. She wanted the list. so I sent an email with the list and I did a $232 catalog show from that email.
I am still doing slow, my first party is rescheduled for next week (fingers crossed). But there seem to be some great ideas here! keep trying!

I'm so sorry this happend to you - hugs are coming your way!!

Unfortunately like many others have said, your friends and family are always the worst. I've been in the business over 3 years and only had two shows w/a family member and one show w/a friend. All of the others I have found doing booths, talking about it to people I meet at my kids schools, at my day job, dentist office, etc., but mostly booths.

I know it is discouraging having to start this business working hard, but trust me you will be better off. I have always had to work the business and have stayed in it longer then about 20 people my director has recruited over the years. Many of them came to their first meetings w/thousands of dollars in sales, but then ran out of family and friends (they only have so much money) and quit. You will be better off learning how to work this business from the beginning.

I have said this on the boards before. I knew I would have to work this business from the beginning to build a customer base. I made a commitment to myself to give it 5 years! I know it sounds like a lot of years, but at my age it goes by in a flash:)! This commitment to myself has kept me from quitting several times (thank God)! One thing they don't worn you of when you sign the agreement is the ups and downs. The ups make the downs feel so much better. You will get there!

I received some great advice when I worked a booth from another direct sales consultant. She told me, "Just when you feel like giving up, don't - that is when things will turn around."

Good luck and don't give up! Come here for support and ideas!

I agree with everyone else. The right circles recognize the value of our products. I actually know a consultant who had a similar story, except that it was the HOST who kept talking about buying things cheaper at the same store you mentioned above. She claimed she bought "the exact same thing" for only $ compared to $$. When she said that about the stone, he said "Really? Can I see it?" Then he turned it over and dropped it! Of course, it shattered and the host was upset. He said, "Don't you have a 3-year guarantee on it? You said it was the exact same thing!" Of course, he paid for a new PC stone on her order, but it drove home the point to everyone at the show that PC stands behind their guarantee and sells superior products.Lots of people have given you recommendations about how to get more bookings (I might start using some myself!). Another tip on combating the price comparisons is to ask your recruiter and director how long they've been using their Small Mix N Scraper (like you got in your kit). Then at your shows, you can say "I know this product is $11.50 and you could buy a less expensive one at a discount store, but this one won't melt in your food and it won't crack or peel. My director has been using hers for 5+ years. This will last and costs less in the long run!" (The Classic Scraper was in my kit and it's a selling point to say I've been using it for almost 8 years!) You can also buy the cheap ones and burn them or melt them in your pan at home, then bring them to your show and say "Anyone ever had this happen when trying to cook scrambled eggs? I guarantee it won't happen with ours!" Or with the Food Chopper, I tell people that while over 70% of our catalog is priced at $20 or less, this is one of the more expensive items at $29.50. Then I show them how great a tool it is for releasing stress and say that $29.50 is a lot cheaper than an hour of therapy. Plus, it is re-usable and productive. You can fix dinner while venting out your frustrations with traffic! Basically, if you acknowledge that some items don't appear to be a bargain, but then explain why they are, you can change their way of thinking about the prices.One last thought on bookings. When I first signed up, my sisters both lived in different states and my best friend was in a different city. I had all of them do catalog shows to help me out. I know you said you've already exhausted your friends and family, but did you think about those that are long-distance? Or did you stick with those where you could actually do shows? If your in a slump, you may want to consider who can do a catalog show for you to keep your business active while you restrategize. The Feb. host special is so incredible, someone is bound to want TWO items at 60% off since that is easier to do than earning two 1/2 price items with a $400 show. You can even offer an extra incentive of your own, like letting them get the Ultimate Mandoline for only $15 if they have at least 12 adult guests at their show. (You would pay the extra $8.80, but wouldn't it be worth it if there was a good turnout?) When I first hosted, I was offered a free Classic Stone if I had 15 people there; it inspired me to make sure people were coming and I had an $800 show! (Now you know why she recruited me!) Be creative and remember that the only way that this business does not work is if you don't!

One of my most discouraging experiences was when one of my good friends hosted. I just felt I was imposing on her and she wanted extras and did not want to do any of the things I coached her to do in order to have a successful party. People out of your circle treat you better. It's not you. Just move on and toward success.
'

Hang in there!Deb,

As another consultant said to me: Friends and family can suck. ;)

I had a slow start with my business, also. And what's interesting is I heard the same excuses that you heard. ("Too expensive") I heard from someone that about 60% of our product selection is under $20.

As for the "Wal-Mart Syndrome" - I bring my cursed Kitchen Aid Garlic Press with me to every show, along with my beloved Pampered Chef's Garlic Press. Here's what I say:

"You know, before I became a consultant, I did what many other people do after attending a Pampered Chef show. I loved the garlic press but thought, 'You know, I bet I could get that for less at Wal-Mart.' Well, I went to Wal-Mart and found this Kitchen Aid Garlic Press for $7.50. I thought, 'Wow, what a buy! Great name and I'll get my press!' (I then chuckle) Well, it ended up a total wash. The Kitchen Aid Garlic Press was woefully inadequate and had a poor design to boot. It couldn't press hardly any garlic out and the hopper kept getting stuck with the pressing lever. It was a total waste of money!

Now. If I had bought the Pampered Chef Garlic Press to begin with, I would have had a superior product and saved myself $7.50. Our Garlic Press comes with a two-year warranty and a beautiful attachable cleaning tool. Let me show you what this cleaning tool does..."

If I have a recipe that uses garlic, I then proceed to press the garlic. And I rave about our tool!

Lower price rarely equates quality. I brag on our Pampered Chef Solution Center and tell everyone that we have the best customer service!

It's funny. Now that I've been doing Pampered Chef for a little over a year, I don't hear the "PC is too expensive" comment as often. I think some people just are prejudiced toward anything coming from direct sales. I try to overcome objections with information but if I sense the facts aren't going to make a difference to them, I shake the dust off my shoes and move on.

I've done the "Pampering Your Business" idea and it gave me a catalog show plus some outside orders. I've built a relationship with that business (a hair salon) so I consider myself now "their" representative. :)

Don't let your friends or family discourage you. This is one of the best direct sales companies in existence and the home office does so much to support the consultants. There are plenty of people out there who love Pampered Chef. It's like Halloween. Some homes are dark or they don't answer the door. But if you keep knocking, soon you will get the treat!

Finally, this is a GREAT place to keep your motivation high! Wonderful ideas are shared here. Hope you stay the course so you can enjoy the fruits of your efforts! :chef:

Julie, in the Bible there is saying (and Jesus said it...) "A prophet is not without honor except in his own country and in his own house." (Matt. 13:57)I love that verse because it is so, so, SO true! No matter what endeavor we embark upon, rarely will our family "get it." I have many stories to testify to this but I'll just leave it at that. ;)

Funny Mary Rose, because i bring a melted & stained Rubbermaid scraper with me (that I stole from my mom!)
and ask them "so where do you suppose all the rest of this is??" I usually sell several scrapers ! :)
I also had a Kitchen Aid garlic press it had a plastic handle which split/cracked and flew everywhere when i put a hard peice of garlic in it.(i liked it because the handle was pretty blue :eek: ) But I also say the same thing - good brand, not too cheap, must be okay...wrong.

so just keep it up telling them about the warranty,quailty and the no hassle customer service.

Wow! When you have friends like that who needs enemies. I'm sorry you had that bad experience. I'll echo everyone else and say that I believe EVERYONE has had some negative person in their life give them a hard time about PC. Just don't give up.

Call me crazy but I actually LOVE when negative people speak up at a show, especially those who complain about the price. I've got to where I bring several knock off tools with me and have them compare. I'll ask them which one would they rather have. Funny that they ALWAYS pick the PC product. ;)

I've always been a firm believer that you get what you pay for. I admit some of the PC is a little high but I'd rather pay for something that cost more and get a better product than buying some cheap knock off.

Deb! Smile you have us!! I completely understand what you mean because some of my friends won't even host a show!

Guess what?? Find shows around every corner. People from your job, childs day care, your gym, your every day contacts (post office, bank, Dr's etc).

And someone on here may have already stated but there's some ridiculous number like 80% (don't quote me) is under $20! in the catalog! So next time some one tells you "its expensive" you can tactfully reply "Well ---% of our catalog is UNDER $20!" I always reply with that. Gets 'em everytime!

Don't give up! Good luck!

I agree with everyone...hold your head up high. You felt good about the presentation - that is AWESOME! We all have met people like that and just have to move forward. Talk with your recruiter and director, and at the very least offer the wonderful consulting opportunity to your friend. It sounds as though they may be strapped for cash and we all know this is the best job to have!

Last fall I did a reverse lookup search with street names on whitepages.com and hosted a mystery host show with just my neighbors. I didn't get a huge turnout($450), many did respond and say they were working. It got my name out there and I've gotten some calls saying, so and so gave me your name. I did it as an open house - will never do that again! I would do a cooking show instead, more fun!

You never know!

julie,
I am sorry to hear that to. Hang in there girl you can do it! Yes sometimes friends and family can be discouraging, And I have noticed the prices as well but where can you get real quality cook ware now days? A real cook spends thousands on things for the kitchen and they look for quality and the price is not a issue.
You see a man can spend a lot of money on tools and needs to have the right one to do the job ...same with pampered chef I heard it said this way and I joined right after I heard this at a show..."men have their tools in the garage right like kraft man's and colman ...I know that they would have a great hammer screw drivers,wrenches and electric saws... these are call power tools you need theses to do almost everything.." "well in pampered chef we have power tools for the kitchen, the ultimate mandolin,forged German steal knives,food chopper,microplane adjustable cheese grater, saute' pan and an cutting board." These Are our tools and we used theses every day just ." take a look at the quality ... and did you know that pampered chef stands behind their products? Its a convenient to order and it comes to your home . Did you know you can get half price items or items for free if your interested ask me and I can tell you how."
Yes it can be hard in the beginning but you can do it don't give up !Don't for get about all of the support you have and I am sure that it will be ok.
l monninger

Last edited:
UPDATE:

Thanks for your kind words. I took a break for a couple of days, then reminded myself why I love Pampered Chef, and how I can share that with others. I may have a little slower start than some, but that's okay. I've got my excitement back, and I really, truly do believe in the not only the Pampered Chef products, but I know how happy they make me...they make me want to cook, and that means happy meals with my family. As my kids are getting older, and I realize how very precious mealtime is with my family, and that's the kind of enthusiasm I want to share.

So thanks again for your encouragement. I'm not going to let a couple of grumpy friends get me down.

:)

Deb

I am so sorry to hear how awful your first show's guests were, but try to stay positive. We all have had some shows were the guests aren't that great. Just think, it can only get better and hopefully you will be able to laugh this off in a few months.

Deb - I'm glad you're feeling better after a break. I'm sorry things have gotten off to a rough start, but I think you can honestly say now that you're prepared for ANYTHING at a show! You've gotten some of the worst behind you. So hang in there.

Hi Julie:

My friends and family wouldn't even do a show for me when I first started! That was 8 years ago yesterday and 548 shows ago! Hang in there--ever business has its bumps and lumps, you just get to get yours out of the way now!
Have you made your list of 100? Has your director helped you with that if you haven't? Merill has some post cards that say "Guess what I found at a Pampered Chef show....my own Business" or something like that. If you can't afford them, make up your own flyers or send out your own email that says something like "I'm so excited--I started my own business!". Just keep plugging at it--do craft fairs, talk to the grocery checker ("oh, I'm, buying this fresh basil because I'm a Pampered Chef consultant and I'm trying out the Tomato Basil Squares recipe for a show down the road--have you heard of Pampered Chef?"), talk to the lady at the post office counter : (I'm so excited to be mailing out this catalog to a friend, I am selling Pampered Chef--do you like to eat?"). You can do this!

Hang in there!

Sorry, Deb, It's late here--I know your name isn't Julie....

I've said this a couple of times on different PC groups/boards but family and friends really sabitoge us when we are trying something new, just go out and meet new people...

Wear the PC logo wear, and or buttons, or even purse items, go door to door and meet your neighbors and give them a catalog/recipe and then one of these letters (I attached). Just be excited and happy when you go places, the bank grocery store, church, and people will ask you why you are so happy. You might not getting bookings right away, but you'll meet some really friendly people, who will pass your info along to others and you'll get referrals out of the blue.

I'm constantly working against my DH and my mother, and the rest of my family, who are there to show me direct sales doesn't work period, and that I'm not a people person. If you follow the 3-2-1 or in my case the 5-2-1 every other day, you will see your business increase and things will get easier.

email me if you need more docs. I have tons~!

PS: I joined a new moms meetup group, and I have a show this month and in April just from putting I am a PC consultant on my profile. They haven't even met me, tomorrow is my first meetup to attend, and they have already booked their dates with me. So joining different group's to network helps as well.

Attachments

• A PC Consultant is in your Neighborhood Flyer.doc
    46.5 KB · Views: 327
  • A PC Consultant is in your Neighborhood Flyer 2.doc
    728 KB · Views: 321
  • A PC Consultant is in your Neighborhood Flyer 3.doc
    751 KB · Views: 312
  • Let Me Be Your PAMPERED CHEF LADY.doc
    38 KB · Views: 297
  • Where to find customers when you run out of family and friends.doc
    37.5 KB · Views: 388
allisonserna said:
I joined a new moms meetup group, and I have a show this month and in April just from putting I am a PC consultant on my profile. They haven't even met me, tomorrow is my first meetup to attend, and they have already booked their dates with me. So joining different group's to network helps as well.
This is against policy.

From page 22 of the Policies and Procedures document:
Other than signing up for a Pampered Chef® Personal Web Site or approved vendor sites, do not list the company name when filling out personal profiles on the Internet.

chefann said:
This is against policy.

From page 22 of the Policies and Procedures document:
Other than signing up for a Pampered Chef® Personal Web Site or approved vendor sites, do not list the company name when filling out personal profiles on the Internet.
Not to hijack, but isn't that just for the internet? I am involved in MOPs (Mothers of Preschoolers) and we have mom profiles for our new moms that are just front and back sheets of paper that are for the group leaders to get to know the moms better, and sometimes for newsletters and the like. That doesn't count, does it?

Yes, that's different. I assumed that it was internet-based, because it said "Meetup group." Meetup is a social website for setting up in-person get-togethers.

I'm not even going there! MY POINT IS GET OUT THERE AND TELL OTHER PEOPLE ABOUT YOU BEING A CONSULANT - DON'T BE SECRET AGENT NOT TELLING ANYONE THAT YOUR ARE A PC CONSULTANT, AND THEN WONDER WHY YOU DON'T HAVE ANY BOOKINGS....

Should I tell those hosts to cancel because I violated policy ~ puh-lease

I hate chef police ~ if you aren't part of HO don't bother me!

Last edited:
allisonserna said:
I hate chef police ~ if you aren't part of HO don't bother me!

You got to watch it Allison. Some people on this board just LOVE to point out violation of policy and other faults. It makes you wonder if they spent less time trolling this board looking for "illegal activity" and more time on their business, their sales would hit the roof. :rolleyes:

By the way, I've saved several of your Word Documents and found them very helpful. Thank you!

I'm just going to jump in here and say that people are just trying to look out for their fellow consultants - they are not "policing" or trying to "point out faults". As a new consultant, I've found their points informative and educational. I sure would hate to be violating policy and not have anyone tell me that I am...just leaving me high and dry to get caught on my own. Or let my actions make other new consultants think it is okay. I don't think anyone's comments were to be "ugly", just trying to help. Try to take them in the spirt in which they were meant.

Allison - no one was suggesting you cancel those shows, but just trying to be friendly and helpful. If you want to continue to advertise on the internet, go ahead, but in the end you will get caught and I personally think I'd feel worse knowingly breaking the rules than unknowingly and having another consultant point it out so I could fix it before I came onto HO's radar. Just my 2 cents.

Oh, also - this thread was started by a newer consultant who was seeking advice on how to generate more bookings. Let's try to help her do it in a way that is not in violation of her agreement. Joining a MOMS group was a great suggestion! :) When you attend a meetup, let it be known then that you are a PC consultant. That would be a great way to do it! Actually, I was thinking of joining the MOMS group in town (interaction for DD and me, plus new contacts), but last time I looked into it, before I signed with PC, the meetups were all during DD's nap times. Now, that her nap times have changed a bit, I think we'd be able to make it to some of the meetups - yeah! :D Thanks for bringing that group back to mind! :)

3-2-1 and WEAR BUTTONS/LOGOThese two practices have completely revolutionized my business since September. I have people coming out of the woodwork to host shows!

After focusing on making 3 live contacts a day, I became a director as of Jan 1st, and have a FULL calendar for February! (10 shows!)

I started wearing my PC button on the front of my coat, and have had people practically chasing me down in the stores to get to me! I'm amazed! I thought my area was saturated!

Don't give up! You're providing a valuable product and service for people who need it! Once they get their hands on these products, they'll see the difference!

I'm a newbie, tooAlthough I haven't had quite the same type of problem, I was also very discouraged after having a less-than-positive show.

In a nutshell...the crowd of 10 were not a very engaging crowd (no one would even throw me a bone in terms of asking a question or looking remotely interested in what I was saying), the sales were PATHETIC, not one booking, and to top it off, when someone asked me specifically about the mandoline, I SLICED MY FINGERS on it while demonstrating it! Blood everywhere! One woman rolled her eyes, and I felt like a total hack...which, by the way, I am NOT.

I was really embarassed, and it was my last show before starting up again in Jan (my first month was Nov, so I booked what I could then took Christmas off). When Jan rolled around, I really didn't care if any bookings I had cancelled or not, since I really didn't want to get up in front of anyone again. But no one cancelled, and thank god they didn't because I've now learned from my mistakes, as well as not to take people personally, such as the woman who rolled her eyes.

I can only imagine how discouraging it would be to start out with everyone telling you how expensive things are, instead of the positive response most people give when they hear about PC. Those people are out there.

Two suggestions...
Try doing a fundraiser for some local businesses or charities.
Also, if you have any DECENT friends who live far away, ask them to do a catalog show for you.

I may not have learned much since starting PC, but what I do know is that this is a community full of some pretty great people who will help you out in any way they can.

Good luck.

ChefJoyJ said:
I'm just going to jump in here and say that people are just trying to look out for their fellow consultants....

Did you stop and think that maybe Allison didn't WANT anyone looking out for her. Besides, I'm sure she knows the Internet Policy herself. Maybe she just choses to ignore it. Guess what? THAT IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!!!! :mad:

I guess the point she and I were making is that we are sick of these "I'm going to run to the teacher" types who constantly monitor everyones "illegal" activities. Stop it! :mad:

ChefJoyJ said:
I'm just going to jump in here and say that people are just trying to look out for their fellow consultants - they are not "policing" or trying to "point out faults". As a new consultant, I've found their points informative and educational. I sure would hate to be violating policy and not have anyone tell me that I am...just leaving me high and dry to get caught on my own. Or let my actions make other new consultants think it is okay. I don't think anyone's comments were to be "ugly", just trying to help. Try to take them in the spirt in which they were meant.

Allison - no one was suggesting you cancel those shows, but just trying to be friendly and helpful. If you want to continue to advertise on the internet, go ahead, but in the end you will get caught and I personally think I'd feel worse knowingly breaking the rules than unknowingly and having another consultant point it out so I could fix it before I came onto HO's radar. Just my 2 cents.

Oh, also - this thread was started by a newer consultant who was seeking advice on how to generate more bookings. Let's try to help her do it in a way that is not in violation of her agreement. Joining a MOMS group was a great suggestion! :) When you attend a meetup, let it be known then that you are a PC consultant. That would be a great way to do it! Actually, I was thinking of joining the MOMS group in town (interaction for DD and me, plus new contacts), but last time I looked into it, before I signed with PC, the meetups were all during DD's nap times. Now, that her nap times have changed a bit, I think we'd be able to make it to some of the meetups - yeah! :D Thanks for bringing that group back to mind! :)
Joy,

This is a very insightful post. You hit perfectly on what was meant by posts made by those who are trying to guide (especially new) consultants to ethical ways to do their business and help them not make mistakes. It is very stressful to get the email or call from HO that one has "broken the rules". We are here to help each other.

Thank you!

I can't help but wonder why there is so much hostility in the posts that are critizing those who are only trying to help. tsk. tsk.

As Joy pointed out, the original poster wants help getting bookings. Let's try to help her with that and stop attacking those that are trying to help her do it right.

BethCooks4U said:
I can't help but wonder why there is so much hostility in the posts that are critizing those who are only trying to help. tsk. tsk.

As Joy pointed out, the original poster wants help getting bookings. Let's try to help her with that and stop attacking those that are trying to help her do it right.

Allison was trying to help a new consultant too and got slammed with a "you are violating policy" remark. Did anyone stop and consider HER feelings? She was only trying to help. I only posted what I did to let Allison know she wasn't alone in her thinking.

I'm just sick of the "Chef Police" trolling around! I bet they have HO on speed dial just waiting to report someone. That is my point! These people need to mind their own business. Period.

vtodd71 said:
Did you stop and think that maybe Allison didn't WANT anyone looking out for her. Besides, I'm sure she knows the Internet Policy herself. Maybe she just choses to ignore it. Guess what? THAT IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!!!! :mad:

I guess the point she and I were making is that we are sick of these "I'm going to run to the teacher" types who constantly monitor everyones "illegal" activities. Stop it! :mad:

No need to attack me, I was just trying to put a positive spin on things. I'm sorry if you feel it is none of my business, and maybe it's not, but as a "cyber-friend", I try to treat my fellow "Cheffers" as I would treat my friends. If one of my friends was breaking the law (you know what I mean), I would tell them. If they chose to continue, then that is their choice, I might try to discourage it, but I can't stop them. I value my fellow Cheffers and their different points of views - I've learned so much from being on here - but I don't want people who are knowingly and flagrantly ignoring the rules to influence new people who migh not know that it is wrong. And wouldn't it be terrible if someone got in trouble with HO and quit PC b/c of doing something they saw on here and they didn't know it was wrong?

I don't consider it running to the teacher if someone tells someone else they are breaking the rules. What if they don't know? Aren't we a group of PC consultants who are supportive and helpful of one another? Doesn't that include making sure we are following the rules?

I'm not going to try to debate you. Please don't attack me again.

vtodd71 said:
Allison was trying to help a new consultant too and got slammed with a "you are violating policy" remark. Did anyone stop and consider HER feelings? She was only trying to help. I only posted what I did to let Allison know she wasn't alone in her thinking.

I'm just sick of the "Chef Police" trolling around! I bet they have HO on speed dial just waiting to report someone. That is my point! These people need to mind their own business. Period.
WOW!:eek:

Take a breath! Ann was only stating a fact to HELP a fellow consultant and more important to point out to NEW consultants that this behavior is against policy. And Joy was VERY NICELY pointing out that we are just trying to help each other follow our company's policy. This helping each other is why this forum exists in the first place.

If you don't like the fact that some of us are ethical about our business you don't have to read our posts.

I can't help but wonder why you are so defensive? (Please don't answer this on this thread. Let's let Deb learn how to get bookings here. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss this further.)

Last edited:
So... Deb,

What kind of things are you doing to get your business off the ground? It's not about who we know but who THEY know.

Start a list of all the people you know and all the people you know through them. Not just your immediate family and close friends - everyone!

Wear something that says Pampered Chef or carry a catalog or cookbook in a way that people will see it. When they ask for a catalog be sure to get their contact info so you can check back with them.

Get into a fair or two to meet new people.

Always take Pampered Chef recipes in Pampered Chef products to every event.

...a few ideas to start with.

vtodd71 said:

Allison was trying to help - you are right - but what she mentioned was in violation of the consultant agreement. Breaking the rules to get bookings is not necessarily the best way to go about it.

vtodd71 said:

I don't recall anyone saying they were going to turn her in or anything of that nature. It was simply a friendly reminder of the consultant agreement we all signed and *agreed to abide by*.

BethCooks4U said:
Joy,

This is a very insightful post. You hit perfectly on what was meant by posts made by those who are trying to guide (especially new) consultants to ethical ways to do their business and help them not make mistakes. It is very stressful to get the email or call from HO that one has "broken the rules". We are here to help each other.

Thank you!

Thanks Beth! :) I agree - let's brainstorm some positive ways to help the orginal poster! :chef:

One thing that has got me several leads and orders is to take out my catalog and set it on the counter when I reach into my purse for my wallet or checkbook. I almost always get a response from it.

Deb - I've gotten a booking and a few potential bookings by mentioning PC. People love PC and are excited to find someone who sells it. Always carry your calendar and a few cattys or mini's (or business cards with your info). And make sure to get their info!! :)

Always ask for referrals (easier said than done, I know).

Do you do a newsletter?

These are a just few thoughts... :)

Christ Follower said:
One thing that has got me several leads and orders is to take out my catalog and set it on the counter when I reach into my purse for my wallet or checkbook. I almost always get a response from it.

Great idea! I need to start doing that too! :)

<h2>1. What can I do to improve my first show?</h2><p>It's common for first shows to not go as well as expected. One thing you can do is to reflect on what went wrong and try to improve for future shows. Maybe consider practicing your demonstrations beforehand or asking for feedback from other consultants. Don't give up - it takes time and practice to become a successful consultant.</p><h2>2. How can I handle negative comments about the prices of Pampered Chef products?</h2><p>Remember that not everyone will see the value in our products, and that's okay. When faced with negative comments about prices, try to focus on the quality and guarantee of our products. You can also mention the opportunity to host a show and earn products for free or at a discounted price. And don't take it personally - some people just have different spending habits and priorities.</p><h2>3. How can I find more hostesses for future shows?</h2><p>Don't limit yourself to just friends and family - reach out to other potential hostesses in your community or through social media. You can also offer incentives for hosting a show, such as free products or discounts. And don't be discouraged if some people decline - just keep asking and promoting your business.</p><h2>4. How can I handle feeling discouraged after a bad show?</h2><p>It's completely normal to feel discouraged after a bad show, especially when it's with friends or family. Remember that one bad show doesn't define your entire business. Take a break if you need to, but don't give up. Focus on the positive aspects of your business and try to learn from any mistakes made during the show.</p><h2>5. Is it common to have a slow start when starting a Pampered Chef business?</h2><p>Yes, it's common to have a slow start when starting any business. Building a customer base and finding hostesses takes time and effort. Don't be discouraged - keep promoting your business and showcasing the value of our products. With dedication and perseverance, your business will grow and become successful.</p>

Related to My First Show Was Not Good. as a Matter of Fact, I'm Thinking I

1. What can I do to improve my first show?

It's common for first shows to not go as well as expected. One thing you can do is to reflect on what went wrong and try to improve for future shows. Maybe consider practicing your demonstrations beforehand or asking for feedback from other consultants. Don't give up - it takes time and practice to become a successful consultant.

2. How can I handle negative comments about the prices of Pampered Chef products?

Remember that not everyone will see the value in our products, and that's okay. When faced with negative comments about prices, try to focus on the quality and guarantee of our products. You can also mention the opportunity to host a show and earn products for free or at a discounted price. And don't take it personally - some people just have different spending habits and priorities.

3. How can I find more hostesses for future shows?

Don't limit yourself to just friends and family - reach out to other potential hostesses in your community or through social media. You can also offer incentives for hosting a show, such as free products or discounts. And don't be discouraged if some people decline - just keep asking and promoting your business.

4. How can I handle feeling discouraged after a bad show?

It's completely normal to feel discouraged after a bad show, especially when it's with friends or family. Remember that one bad show doesn't define your entire business. Take a break if you need to, but don't give up. Focus on the positive aspects of your business and try to learn from any mistakes made during the show.

5. Is it common to have a slow start when starting a Pampered Chef business?

Yes, it's common to have a slow start when starting any business. Building a customer base and finding hostesses takes time and effort. Don't be discouraged - keep promoting your business and showcasing the value of our products. With dedication and perseverance, your business will grow and become successful.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ShelbyMichalek
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Sheila
  • mylilchunkymonkey
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Julie Bastuk
  • littlemaisyPC