• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Sister in Law Is Downer at Show!

In summary, the conversation revolves around a cooking show where the host's sister-in-law attends and constantly complains about the cost and lack of lid for a 12-inch executive skillet. The host's sales and bookings are negatively affected by her sister-in-law's behavior. Other consultants offer advice and insights on the issue, including the fact that the lid also fits a stir fry pan and the increase in price is due to supply and quality control issues. Ultimately, the host vents her frustration and thanks the forum for their support.
ksmedic
OK...I just want to vent for a minute.

I had a cooking show the other night and my sister in law attended. :yuck:

History - She has a lot of pampered chef stuff including a 12 inch executive skillet that she "had to have" last year for christmas from my mother in law. She doesn't have the lid to it and complains about that constantly....does she order one....nope....just complains that it didn't come with the skillet.

At the show- I give my blurb about our cookware, how it's the october host special and there is still time to book a show and what does she do??? You guessed it! Rant about the fact that the 12 inch skillet lid isn't included and she would like to have it. I tried to shift gears and turn this positive and then changed the subject all together. I finished the demo and went into the other room to do my personal check outs with guests and I over hear her in the kitchen ranting AGAIN :grumpy:about how much the lid costs and how ridiculious it is that the lid doesn't come with the skillet then about how much the deep covered baker is and how ridiculious it is that it is a host only item and how much more expensive it is than last year....OMG!!!! :mad:
Thanks sister in law for helping my sales crash and burn and getting me NO ZIP ZERO ZILCH bookings and recuits.....You're the best!!!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR:grumpy::yuck::eek::grumpy::mad:

:yuck:I'm so sorry your sister-in-law had a negative effect on your show. Make sure she gets the lid for a gift (soon) either birthday or Christmas. Lisa Amblo talks about this some on her awesome training, how she does not sell the 12 inch skillet without the lid, now I can see why. I know you are just ranting, and that's ok, we all need to do it some days. I'm not even going to ask why she doesn't just buy one... I am a new consultant and was suprised that the DCB went up, but would never voice that, especially at a show! But, prices go up on everything, everywhere, not just PC. Take this with a grain of salt, but I don't think I would invite her again, or would privately talk to her about this issue. But, that may make it a huge issue, which you don't want, and in that case, you are doing what I would do, rant. Hope I made you smile, sorry she was such a downer for you.

Why doesn't she host her how show so she can get that lid at 50% off?

I always tell people that the lid isn't included because it fits both the skillet and the stirfry pan and people just don't need 2 lids.

I believe the lid is sold separately for one simple reason...it fits the 12" skillet, but also the stir-fry skillet. If the lid was sold WITH them, you'd ultimately end up with two of the same lids if you bought both of them.

Hope that helps!

I'm sorry about that, that really stinks!
I'd just buy one for her for Christmas and SHUT HER UP!
And that's a great point about the skillet fitting both the stir fry and 12".

:angel:I just learned something new about the lid fitting both pans!! Thanks!

You're welcome! I guess Linda and I were typing our answers at the same time, but the important thing is, the info got out there!!
<grin>

I tell people the same thing ... it fits 2 items. Not to mention that others want it as well for their non-PC items that are the same size. You can be sure we'd hear tons of complaints if the pans included lids and went up as a result!The stock pot lid fits the 10 inch skillet tool :)

Sorry about your SIL. Sometimes family can be the worst ones to deal with.

Thanks so much you guys. This forum always helps me with great ideas and reinforcement! I didn't know that the lid fits the stir fry skillet too. That's good to know. I have more ammo for the next event she decides to rant at...
I normally don't get family PC gifts for holidays/birthdays because I don't want them thinking I'm only doing it because I get a perk...

I did suggest she have a show which she thought about but decided she didn't want to.

Oh well....Thanks for your feedback and thanks for letting me vent!

I was saddened to see how much the DCB went up, but based on why they discontinued the white one, it is a supply and quality control issue. Now that it is only offered to hosts, PC is buying fewer and fewer of them. Production costs for a few dozen items are more per piece than production costs for a few hundred items.

In the end, we are getting higher quality products because they aren't trying to crank out a bunch of mediocre DCBs

Yup, you have to learn to interrupt their rant with a comment about how they can get that lid for FREE or at a discount by hosting their own show ... then ... before they can react ... ask them when would be a good date & grab your calendar! If you put them on the spot in front of the group, they will either book or shut up. ;) But you have to use the "I'm trying to help you" tone, not the "I would love to duct tape your mouth shut right now" tone. ;)

lt1jane said:
I was saddened to see how much the DCB went up, but based on why they discontinued the white one, it is a supply and quality control issue. Now that it is only offered to hosts, PC is buying fewer and fewer of them. Production costs for a few dozen items are more per piece than production costs for a few hundred items.

In the end, we are getting higher quality products because they aren't trying to crank out a bunch of mediocre DCBs

There was never a quality issue and from what was explained to us is that they are trying to stock pile them for future orders which is why it's a host only item. The manufacturer couldn't keep up with the demand.

ksmedic said:
Thanks so much you guys. This forum always helps me with great ideas and reinforcement! I didn't know that the lid fits the stir fry skillet too. That's good to know. I have more ammo for the next event she decides to rant at...
I normally don't get family PC gifts for holidays/birthdays because I don't want them thinking I'm only doing it because I get a perk...

I did suggest she have a show which she thought about but decided she didn't want to.

Oh well....Thanks for your feedback and thanks for letting me vent!

I understand what you mean. The difference here is that you would be giving her something you know she wants, because she has been quite verbal about it!

Now, to salvage the situation, if possible. If the show isn't closed, I would do MAC calls, letting the guests know you're about to close the show, and ask if there is anything they forgot to add to their order, or if they would like to host a show. Now that they're away from her influence, one or two may change their minds. If anyone brings up SIL's rant, explain why it is the lid doesn't come with the Skillet, and maybe bring them into your 'confidence' that she just may be getting that lid for Christmas (unless, of course, you think someone may spill the secret).

Sheila said:
Yup, you have to learn to interrupt their rant with a comment about how they can get that lid for FREE or at a discount by hosting their own show ... then ... before they can react ... ask them when would be a good date & grab your calendar! If you put them on the spot in front of the group, they will either book or shut up. ;) But you have to use the "I'm trying to help you" tone, not the "I would love to duct tape your mouth shut right now" tone. ;)

Shelia - :thumbup::thumbup:
as for the bolded part - WAYYYYY too funny!!

Cheers,
D.

ksmedic said:
OK...I just want to vent for a minute.

I had a cooking show the other night and my sister in law attended. :yuck:

History - She has a lot of pampered chef stuff including a 12 inch executive skillet that she "had to have" last year for christmas from my mother in law. She doesn't have the lid to it and complains about that constantly....does she order one....nope....just complains that it didn't come with the skillet.

At the show- I give my blurb about our cookware, how it's the october host special and there is still time to book a show and what does she do??? You guessed it! Rant about the fact that the 12 inch skillet lid isn't included and she would like to have it. I tried to shift gears and turn this positive and then changed the subject all together. I finished the demo and went into the other room to do my personal check outs with guests and I over hear her in the kitchen ranting AGAIN :grumpy:about how much the lid costs and how ridiculious it is that the lid doesn't come with the skillet then about how much the deep covered baker is and how ridiculious it is that it is a host only item and how much more expensive it is than last year....OMG!!!! :mad:
Thanks sister in law for helping my sales crash and burn and getting me NO ZIP ZERO ZILCH bookings and recuits.....You're the best!!!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR:grumpy::yuck::eek::grumpy::mad:

The 12" lid IS included in the host special this month. #LA33 past host and #LA16 host - cost $15.20.

Sheila said:
But you have to use the "I'm trying to help you" tone, not the "I would love to duct tape your mouth shut right now" tone. ;)

Lol!! I was just thinking, yeah give her the lid for Christmas with a roll of duct tape!!!

I would probably give her the lid --but I'd expect her to have something else to be a downer about in the future.

sorry ksmedic. that must have been a difficult party to get through

Ha ha! I think that's great too, Sheila!

Funny story ... BFF was thinking of getting the lid .. she was SURE it would fit her cast iron pans! I thought for sure they were 10 inch. So today I picked her up from work and brought both lids along. Sure enough ...

Should I ever get the 5 pc set I'll give her my extra lid ... don't need it. I have a 10 inch lid that fits 2 pieces of cookware, and that's plenty!

1. How do I deal with a negative sister-in-law at a Pampered Chef show?

Dealing with a negative sister-in-law at a Pampered Chef show can be challenging, but here are a few tips to help you out. First, try to address the issue directly with your sister-in-law. Let her know how her negative attitude is impacting the show and ask her to be more positive. If that doesn't work, try to focus on the positive aspects of the show and keep the energy upbeat. You can also try to involve your sister-in-law in the show by asking for her help or opinion on products. Lastly, remember to stay professional and don't let her negativity affect your own attitude.

2. What should I do if my sister-in-law is making negative comments about the products?

If your sister-in-law is making negative comments about the products, try to address the issue directly with her. Ask her to share her concerns with you privately so you can address them. If she continues to make negative comments during the show, try to steer the conversation towards the positive aspects of the products and how they can benefit her. You can also involve other guests in the conversation and ask for their opinions on the products to create a more positive atmosphere.

3. How can I prevent my sister-in-law from ruining the show for other guests?

If you're worried about your sister-in-law ruining the show for other guests, try to involve her in the show as much as possible. Ask for her help with demonstrations or have her assist with passing out products. This will make her feel included and less likely to disrupt the show. You can also try to address her negative behavior directly and remind her that this is a party and everyone is here to have a good time.

4. My sister-in-law is constantly comparing Pampered Chef products to other brands. What should I do?

If your sister-in-law is constantly comparing Pampered Chef products to other brands, try to address the issue directly with her. Let her know that this is a Pampered Chef show and the focus is on the products being presented. You can also try to redirect the conversation by asking for her opinion on specific features of the products or asking her to share her favorite Pampered Chef product. Remember to stay professional and not engage in any negative comparisons.

5. How can I make sure my sister-in-law doesn't discourage others from booking a show?

If you're worried about your sister-in-law discouraging others from booking a show, try to involve her in the booking process. Ask her to share her experience with Pampered Chef and how it has benefited her. You can also offer incentives for guests who book a show, which may help encourage your sister-in-law to be more positive and supportive. Lastly, remember to stay positive and enthusiastic about the benefits of hosting a show and the amazing products offered by Pampered Chef.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • SDTeaGirl
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
maldvs
  • mirandalea
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies