• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

My Cat's Unexpected Pee Problem: Ideas?

In summary, the older cat is peeing on the carpet in the living room instead of the box. The spot was last week and another one was this morning. The cat has been taking drugs and is on a special diet to treat a UTI.
Tara1021
I have 2 cats. One is 10 and the other 8. Out of the blue, the older one has started peeing on the carpet in the living room instead of the box. She doesn't do it all the time. We noticed a spot last week and then another and this morning, i caught her in the act. :mad:

Nothing has changed...litter is the same. We did get a new box a few months ago, but that's it.

any ideas???:(

I am having the SAME problem with one of my cats. It's making me CRAZY!!!
:(

It could be a UTI - call your vet and see if they can get her in.

my husband is out of town and he said to take her to the vet as well. the only thing throwing me off is that shouldn't it smell really bad if it's a uti?

Nope - it might not smell any different. This happens to my dog all the time. She never wets on the floor unless she has a UTI. As soon as we put her on antibiotics, it stops. Cats are very prone to UTIs, too, so that's probably what it is, esp. if you haven't really changed anything. HTH and good luck!

Another thing with cats is that their problems are usually pretty far along before they show us any symptoms. As soon as you see something out of the ordinary, take them to the vet. Plus, it is another chance for you to put out your catalogs in the waiting room and get orders from the staff! :D

I will be the boss of that!

I have a show tomorrow night, so I'll take her on Thursday afternoon. Thanks for your help!!!

BTW...how does the vet know...do I have to find a sample?:yuck:

They usually extract urine from the bladder.

--Jenny L

Last edited:
for my cat they put him in a teeny cage with a litter box filled with popping corn, and once he had pee'd they just poured the sample out for testing.

I took my cat to the vet back in May and he ended up having a UTI. I noticed because it seemed like everytime I was going by a litter box he'd be in for a second and then done. We also started to notice that it smelled like pee by our back door and I caught him jumping in my empty laundry basket and peeing in there 3 times! So we took him to the vet, and they did a urine sample gave him some drugs, put him on science prescription food to regulate his alkalinity levels. He's supposed to take the food from the vet from now on, but I just upgraded him to iams/science diet instead, and seems to be well.

The biggest kitty problem I have is that people bet out of turn. When you're playing poker, you're supposed to bet and call in order so the kitty is right. I hate winning a hand when the kitty is short.

As cats age, I've found they start to develop health problems that (as noted above) aren't easily seen. If you go to your vet, you'll probably be referred to a special dry food for older cats. I would strongly recommend doing this.

Even cats teeth can cause problems....if they aren't clean, they'll cause infection and that can go on for ahwile before anyone notices. The cat could be peeing outside the box just for something this simple.

The other thing I've noticed is as my cats get older, they really want their litter box cleaned more often. I scoop twice daily now after I had a series of days when they were peeing outside the box. They had just been to the vet so I knew they were healthy. Scooping box more often seemed to make a difference.

You might look at places like amazon.com to see about books that might have some humorous yet helpful info on cat behavior, litter box issues being a biggy. Even if you moved the box recently, that can tick the cats off. I have a book like that at home...will try to remember to get the title and post it hear later.

Cats rule, everyone else drools....

Good luck!

OMG! My cat is doing the same thing!!! She is 12, she still goes #2 in the box, the only thing I can think of is, that my office started to get cluttered, and thats where her box is (and of course the only room with carpet).

The vet said its normal (check up was a week ago) and I did change the litter, but have since gone back to Arm and Hammer litter. HOPING she goes back to the box. I am so sick of this.

put her in a dog crate with the box to retrain her

It might be interesting to watch if the dog is still in there.

As I mentioned above, my cat Christmas, is having the same trouble. Although I like the idea of re-training her my DH says "thats mean". Anyway prior to telling him that idea, I had called my vet. They just called back. Wouldn't it figure Christmas was just in for her annual visit 2 weeks ago and I stressed to the Vet I cannot afford the exam fee.

Anyway, their suggestions were first to get a urine sample (in most cases, easier said then done) and the cost to send it to lab is $56. UM NO. So I said do they have an alternative ideas?:(

Here's what the vet suggested.:thumbup:

Get two litter boxes, one with a lid one without. Put in the general area of where the cat is peeing on the rug (in my case). I said it was all over. Anyway, two boxes will be spread out in my case. One with clumping litter, one without clumping litter. Try it out for a week or so. (I also put newspaper down).

Also, their recommendation is to go to PetSmart or a Pet supply store and get this plug in item called Feel Away or Fel-Away. (not sure of the spelling). But apparently it is a hormone that will calm the cat down so she can relax a little.

Our cat is a very active 12 year old. Quick by all means. Her eye has had a little discharge for the past two weeks (hence why we went to the vet to begin with). I was given some $20 eye drops for that.:eek:

Anyway, hope this helps some of you in the same predictament!! Thanks to whomever started this thread. Gross :yuck: but helpful....

My cat did this too. Sorting out medical problems is obviously the first route, but until that works I used those puppy training pads to save the carpet (and my sanity!)

Just got home from the vet. They tried to express her bladder manually and that didn't work, so they stuck a needle in her belly and got it that way. She does have a minor bladder infection and they gave her a shot and gave me some pills to give her, starting tomorrow, for a week. Now, that's gonna be a blast! grrrrr I have to take her back next Thursday for a follow up urinalysis. They want me to drop her off in the morning and pick her up in the afternoon so that they can get a sample the easier way. Said we got lucky to get it with the needle. DH can deal with that trip! :0)

I'm glad to know that it isn't more serious. Thanks for all the advice!

Hey, KG, quit pussy footing around...us Kat Ladies take our babies quite seriously!!!:p

I could go further, but I would get kicked off CS!!!!!

ANYWAY....interesting conversations. Moose, the boss and big hairball of the house, is due for his physical and distemper shot. The last time he was at the vet was to get his bottom shaved. (He is a Maine coon and when his hair is long and he has cute pantaloons, he has poo problems. Many bad hair days if ya know what I mean!!!:eek:)
When we left the vets office, he had to have a towel over his cage because everytime he saw anyone but me, he was growling and his hissing was on steriods!!! They had to put him to sleep to give him a shave. When the anastesia (too lazy to look up correct spelling) he is cranky and acts as if he is on a bad acid trip from Woodstock.
He was so rude, he was in a room by himself with a towel over the cage. We had to leave by the back door!!! Where did I go wrong as a mother?!?!?:angel:

I just can't wait to take my little Pumpkin to the vet again!!! I just have visions of him being like the Tazmanian Devil on the exam table. He is onto them at the vets now!!!

Related to My Cat's Unexpected Pee Problem: Ideas?

1. What are some possible reasons why my cat is suddenly peeing outside of the litter box?

There are several reasons why your cat may be experiencing an unexpected pee problem. It could be due to a medical issue such as a urinary tract infection or bladder stones, stress or anxiety, changes in the household or routine, or the litter box not being cleaned frequently enough.

2. How can I determine if my cat's unexpected pee problem is due to a medical issue?

If you suspect that your cat's pee problem is due to a medical issue, it is important to take them to the veterinarian for a check-up. They will be able to perform tests and exams to determine if there is an underlying medical condition causing the behavior.

3. What can I do to reduce stress and anxiety for my cat?

Stress and anxiety can be a common cause of unexpected pee problems in cats. To help reduce stress, make sure your cat has a quiet and comfortable space to retreat to, provide plenty of play and exercise opportunities, and consider using calming pheromone sprays or diffusers.

4. How can I discourage my cat from peeing outside of the litter box?

There are several steps you can take to discourage your cat from peeing outside of the litter box. Make sure the litter box is clean and easily accessible, try different types of litter to see if your cat has a preference, and use positive reinforcement to reward your cat when they use the litter box appropriately.

5. Are there any products or remedies that can help with my cat's unexpected pee problem?

There are products available, such as enzymatic cleaners, that can help remove the smell of urine and deter your cat from returning to the same spot to pee. You can also try using a litter attractant or adding a second litter box in a different location. However, if the problem persists, it is important to consult with your veterinarian for further advice and assistance.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• nancycookspc
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pampered1224
Replies
Views
pampchefrhondab
  • lockhartkitchen
  • General Chat
Replies