• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

My Cat's Unexpected Vet Visit: A Frustrating Story

In summary, the cat was not vaccinated because of a bad reaction from 5 years ago, and the vet office mistakenly vaccinated the cat without permission. The cat threw up multiple times and the cost for the Benedryl shot was $33.
Tara1021
So, many of you may recall that I posted about my cat having a UTI last week. Yesterday, DH dropped her off at the vet so that they could keep her to get a urine sample to see if it was clear. The receptionist asked if she was vaccinated. He told her he thought so and left. Gets to the parking lot and calls me. I informed him that no, she wasn't vaccinated b/c of the bad reaction she had 5 years ago. So, back in he goes. Tells the receptionist that she isn't vaccinated. Receptionist informs him that she will be in with other animals and really should be. He told her no, we don't want her vaccinated. She said ok, we can just keep her separated. So he leaves.

Goes back to pick her up around 4. Pays the bill and leaves. Calls me (I'm at the hair place). Pulls into the driveway, grabs the paperwork, and a rabies tag falls out. They vaccinated her without our permission! He is on the phone with me as this is unfolding. So, he calls the vet. The receptionist says that he must have misunderstood her yada yada yada.

He left the cat at home and had to go back to work for an hour or so....Fast forward 2 hours. He gets home (again on the phone with me on my way home, fuming about the vaccination thing). Walks in the house. Cat has puked 8 times all over the house. Calls the ER vet b/c our vet is closed at this point. They refer us to website for Benedryl dosage. I get home, go get Benydryl. Attemt to get it in her with a syringe. NO GO. At this point, her ears and nose are blood red and she is having a hard time breathing. Threw up 4 more times in the 15 minutes I was gone to Walgreens. Anyway, we decide to take her to the ER. 2 hours later, we are home with a groggy cat fromt the Benedryl shot they gave her and a bill for 130 bucks.

Fast forward to this morning....DH goes trotting into the vet's office and they greet him with, "Mr Fields, we are so sorry. Is Wiggs ok?" Apparently the ER vet faxes records to the regular vet after treatment. They were expecting him. He said he could tell that there had already been discussion about what was going to happen. They said that they would call the ER clinic b/c they had a partnership with them and get our acct credited etc. An hour later, the head vet/owner of our vet clinic called Troy and told him that they had determined what had happened. The receptionist wrote on the chart "needs vaccinations" instead of "not vaccinated". Of course the tech takes that to mean give her shots, as any tech would. The receptionist was chewed out by the dr. and the dr. said that the ER vet was going to credit the 89.50 to our account for the visit, but wouldn't budge on the Benedryl charge for 33 dollars. He profusely apologized for all our problems and said that our account at the vet would be given a 33 dollar credit because it was their mistake that caused all the problems in the first place.

I tell ya what, I haven't been that mad in a long time. And if my cat had died from their incompitance, I would own a veternary hospital....and I'm not that kind of girl!

AHHHHH....I feel better now!

Oh you poor thing Tara - I hope your cat feels better & soon - what a nightmare to have your poor kitty go through! (and you too!)

Awww... poor kitty... hopefully she's doing okay now.

Oh my gosh, I'm so glad your cat is going to be okay! I would have been so mad as well!

My cat has not be vaccinated either. When we got her from the shelter she was so sick, almost died. I have been so afraid to take her in. The vet said if she gets too traumatized she could get sick again. She had what the vet called cat herpes so it stays in her system. This is another reason I have not had her declawed (besided her weight which I mentioned in another post). If she were put under she could get sick again.

Last edited:
So did your kitty get all three of the vacs or just the rabies? I worked as a receptionist at a vet hospital a few years ago to help out my friend (The Vet) and I have never heard of a cat having a reaction to a rabies vacc like that. Now some kittys have problems with the fvpp shots. Did you get your cats chart and computer cart flagged that there is a reaction to vaccs? I am sorry to hear that you guys had such a bad experience with your vet. There are pros and cons on vaccs. I have seen the bad and the good.

Good luck with your little kitty!

I have a kitty that likes heating vents....hehSorry to hear about that! Like KG says, you NEED a new vet!

Either that or a new receptionist.

Oh, and what part of Houston are you in? I lived there for the first 18 years of my life!

Sorry to hear about your kitty Tara - I'm glad she is doing better and would be VERY upset too.

I'm not a vet or vet tech or anything...but just taught Pet First Aid Wednesday night (and stayed at a Holiday Inn Express - just kidding) but I was learning a lot from my students as I was teaching them other things. I've always known about some allergies and conditions but didn't realize some of the reactions to shots or other things. Of course it makes perfect sense...it is just in the past pets would die from it because we wouldn't have the knowledge to recognize and treat the symptoms, but we learn more and more each day!

obxchef said:
So did your kitty get all three of the vacs or just the rabies? I worked as a receptionist at a vet hospital a few years ago to help out my friend (The Vet) and I have never heard of a cat having a reaction to a rabies vacc like that. Now some kittys have problems with the fvpp shots. Did you get your cats chart and computer cart flagged that there is a reaction to vaccs? I am sorry to hear that you guys had such a bad experience with your vet. There are pros and cons on vaccs. I have seen the bad and the good.

Good luck with your little kitty!

They gave her the yearly and the rabies, along with a non penicillin antibiotic. When this happend the last time, it was an antibiotic and the rabies shot. She did ok with the antibiotic last week, so we know it isn't that. Process of elimination...rabies shot reaction.

She's doing ok now. Has just kind of lounged around all day. She was quite traumatized after yesterday...we counted it up...5 sticks with a needle and 2 thermometers up the butt.

TKG....there will be a new vet, i guarantee it!

cmdtrgd said:
Oh, and what part of Houston are you in? I lived there for the first 18 years of my life!

I grew up in Klein and graduated from Klein Forest. DH and I live in Oak Forest, off of 610 and 290 and I teach in Klein. Where did you live?

Our vet is a save the animal at any cost!! I'm a save my kid at any cost my cat is a pet.
Our house cat died a year ago, we took her in for pnuemonia on a Wed., they wanted to see her twice a day until the Friday & gave me meds to give her at home. On Friday they wanted to put her in the cat emergency clinic in another town, just the stay was $800 a day not to mention the meds and the treatments. We refused, they said keep her on a heating pad 24/7 if she lives until her Mon. appt. she'll be fine.
Monday I take her in (we took turns sitting with her round the clock & forcing her to stay on the pad)
We get there they ask how she was doing with the baby food?? HUH?? The vet said the baby food you gave her with her medicine. No one told me to do that so they give her 2 shots put her on an IV & sent me home with jars of chicken baby food to give her with her pills. Within 45 minutes of returning home she is on my lap I feel her heart racing, she howls and got off my lap walks to the tile and died. I was hysterical we think they overdosed her, it took me a long time to trust our outdoor kitty to their care.

Tara1021 said:
I grew up in Klein and graduated from Klein Forest. DH and I live in Oak Forest, off of 610 and 290 and I teach in Klein. Where did you live?

Grew up in Clear Lake, graduated from Clear Lake High and my mom taught in CCISD and Friendswood ISD. What do you teach?

Tara1021 said:
He profusely apologized for all our problems and said that our account at the vet would be given a 33 dollar credit because it was their mistake that caused all the problems in the first place.

Tara, I think I would argue the cost of the shots your vet gave your kitty that you specifically asked him not to. Regardless of what the receptionist wrote, it was their mistake, it should be their bill, not yours.

--Jenny L

Tara...so sorry for your poor kitty and DH and YOU! Ahh!! The aggravation and trauma!! I hope that Wiggs is OK soon!

I definately agree with Jenny L.

cmdtrgd said:
Grew up in Clear Lake, graduated from Clear Lake High and my mom taught in CCISD and Friendswood ISD. What do you teach?
I taught 4th grade for 10 years and moved ot fifth last year.

She's pretty much back to her old self again...thanks for all the well wishes. I just can't believe all the incompetance...grrrrr!

1. What happened during the unexpected vet visit?

During the unexpected vet visit, my cat began showing signs of illness such as vomiting and lack of appetite. Upon examination, the vet discovered a blockage in her intestines that required immediate surgery.

2. How did you handle the situation?

I stayed calm and followed the vet's recommendations for surgery. I also made sure to keep my cat comfortable and monitored her closely during her recovery.

3. Was the surgery successful?

Yes, the surgery was successful and my cat is now recovering at home. The vet was able to remove the blockage and she is expected to make a full recovery.

4. How much did the unexpected vet visit cost?

The unexpected vet visit and surgery were quite costly, but my cat's health and well-being are priceless to me. I am fortunate to have pet insurance to help cover some of the expenses.

5. How can I prevent unexpected vet visits in the future?

Regular check-ups and preventive care are key in preventing unexpected vet visits. It's also important to keep an eye on your pet's behavior and any changes in their eating or bathroom habits. In case of emergency, having pet insurance can also help alleviate some of the financial burden.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
rennea
  • kristenlee
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
letscook04
  • lacychef
  • General Chat
Replies