• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Affordable Pet Vaccinations: Is It Necessary for Indoor Cats? | OT

In summary, growing up, my dad never did for the dog and two cats we have. DH never did for the cat he still has. But last month we got a new kitten who was still on his kitten shots. At the time I figured we might as well get our older cat vacinated too. Well, he was sneezing last visit so the vet wouldn't vacinate him. He gave us some antibiotics and told us to bring him back for the kitten's last shots. I called today to see if we still had to pay the vet visit charge since it wasn't our fault we have to bring him back (the vet refused to vacinate him last time). Well, that would be another $70 to get him
wadesgirl
Gold Member
I know there was a discussion last year about vacines for your kids but I was wondering about those who vacinate their pets. Growing up, my dad never did for the dog and two cats we have. DH never did for the cat he still has. But last month we got a new kitten who was still on his kitten shots. At the time I figured we might as well get our older cat vacinated too. Well, he was sneezing last visit so the vet wouldn't vacinate him. He gave us some antibiotics and told us to bring him back for the kitten's last shots. I called today to see if we still had to pay the vet visit charge since it wasn't our fault we have to bring him back (the vet refused to vacinate him last time). Well, that would be another $70 to get him the shots! We just paid $120 last visit for both cats and it would be another $120 total this time. I really don't have the money to pay for this right now. Is it that bad if our indoor cats don't have their vacinations? I will still get the kitten's last shots since it's already set up. I just know DH is going to freak that we have to pay again for the older cat.

You can vaccinate your own pets with the exception of rabies. Rabies is the only one that has to be done by a vet!

I had two indoor cats and never had them vaccinated. I couldn't wrap my brain around how they'd be exposed to what they were being vaccinated for, so I didn't get them inoculated. I had a friend who became anti-vaccine for animals after she had a cat develop some kind of cancer (sorry can't remember what kind) after vaccination (again, I can't remember which one of those either) and the doc admitted that he'd seen it happened before though wouldn't admit it was completely causal. Life is a gamble, but if your animals aren't at risk, I don't see how vaccination would be a benefit to them. *shrug* That's just me though and I'm sure others will pipe in with their thoughts/ideas/comments.

On cats, indoor cats are pretty good without vaccines. They can still catch some things though...You are required by most states to have them licensed and vaccinated against rabies.Just remember, if you have to kennel them for any reason, you need to show proof of vaccination.PM me if you have more specific questions...

Correction: my cats would get the occasional rabies shot when they were at the vets cuz it's the law around here - even for indoor cats.

Oh, and what state are you in again? I forget? MN has some different laws than others...

I know we are already breaking the pet license law. Shhh... don't tell anyone. It just seems weird that we have to pay to have a cat in our own home. They aren't a bother to anyone else and we take special precautions so they do not get outside. I don't see a reason we would ever have to kennel him, we have a lot of family who would take them if we needed it. Hmmm... maybe I'll talk with DH and see what he thinks.

wadesgirl said:
I know we are already breaking the pet license law. Shhh... don't tell anyone. It just seems weird that we have to pay to have a cat in our own home. They aren't a bother to anyone else and we take special precautions so they do not get outside. I don't see a reason we would ever have to kennel him, we have a lot of family who would take them if we needed it. Hmmm... maybe I'll talk with DH and see what he thinks.

Our town sends people door to door---to see if you have a dog. I dont think cats need to be licensed here. But I remember when we had a dog they came around to check. LOL

I think it's rabies and distemper that they want to give him this time. DH also wasn't too excited about the price of the flea/tick/heartworm medication the doctor recommended (Revolution). It was almost cheaper to do all three with one application that it was to do just the flea medication DH wanted to purchase.

wadesgirl said:
I think it's rabies and distemper that they want to give him this time. DH also wasn't too excited about the price of the flea/tick/heartworm medication the doctor recommended (Revolution). It was almost cheaper to do all three with one application that it was to do just the flea medication DH wanted to purchase.

There are other options for that too...I'll PM you...

Your indoor cats can still get disease when they aren't given their shots. The main one to look out for is Feline Lukemia. It is bad. It is airborne and you can bring it in on your shoes etc. Fleas and ticks can carry disease and parasites as well, especially tape worms. Owning pets is expensive. Check with your local Humane Society, they may be able to tell less expensive places to go. I know various pet stores do vacinations w/o charging an office visit. I also know some vet clincs do as well, get out your phone book and start calling around. As a previous post said, not getting shots is a gamble, but if your pet gets sick, wait until you see that vet bill!! (Dad and Sister are vets)

I talked to DH and he wants to look around for another vet to see if we can find one cheaper.

Oh, and since you have a dog and a cat, do not use Biospot or K-9 Advantix on your dogs (anything with permethrin). These products are not good for cats to be exposed to.

I never got them for my old cat after the kitten ones - he lived to be 18. He did have the feline lukemia ones as a kitten. I would get those for sure.

I was really glad I didn't get his shots because he would have had the one that was causing cancer in a lot of cats! I probably would have lost him much younger.

janetupnorth said:
Oh, and since you have a dog and a cat, do not use Biospot or K-9 Advantix on your dogs (anything with permethrin). These products are not good for cats to be exposed to.
Oh no, we only have two cats (an older cat around 10-12 years and the kitten around 3 months). I had a dog and two cats growing up.

Ah, reread it now...sorry...you're fine then...

janetupnorth said:
You can vaccinate your own pets with the exception of rabies. Rabies is the only one that has to be done by a vet!
Not in MN you can't. In the rural areas farmers are allowed to buy vaccines, but not in the cities. They did away with that a few years ago.

The pets I've had that have been given all the vaccines that vets told me to give have lived shorter lives than those that I just vaccinated when I remembered or could afford it.

I would call around & check w/other vets. My vet is an old timer & he is about half or more less than all the others around.

My pup is on a plan. We don't pay for office visits, vaccines, when he was fixed and certain other things. We pay $21.95 a month.....in his two and a half years of life we have saved a TON of money by having him on the plan. We could go to the vet on base but it is a HUGE hassle. He is the system so to speak and I like that we can transfer him around without a problem as we move often!

Kitchen Diva said:
Not in MN you can't. In the rural areas farmers are allowed to buy vaccines, but not in the cities. They did away with that a few years ago.

The pets I've had that have been given all the vaccines that vets told me to give have lived shorter lives than those that I just vaccinated when I remembered or could afford it.

Yup Kacey - if you go back to my prior posts I asked her if she was in MN. You still can vaccinate your own (except rabies) in MN but need a vet's prescription to acquire the medications.

check around and see if any of the local vets offer a low cost vac. clinics
all of the vets in our area ( 6 in a 12 mile area) offer it the first Sat of every month
you can get all the shots they need for a flat fee of $30 regular cost about $141 (don't ask me how I know)

I don't know about cats...but here you can buy rabies vaccine at the farm store. It is true however that if your dog bites someone and a vet did not administer the shot that they may not take it into consideration. I can understand that because you really have no proof that you gave the shot. My husband vaccinates all of our animals...we live in a small rural community...but his vet also has all prescriptions mailed directly to us (for cattle and horses).

DH is not really "in" to vaccinating pets, but we do try to give them their parvo and rabies shots. It is aweful to see a puppy die from parvo and their are too many skunks around here to go without a rabies vaccine. My husband has "cow" dogs, "hog" dogs...for trapping wild hogs and moving them somewhere else. They really tear up pasture land...and coon dogs. All ugly dogs if you ask me, and you aren't suppose to play with them because they are working dogs...lol. But I personally have 2 shi tzus that receive all of their vaccines. We might want to raise puppies one day. DH does not like pet vet bills, but oh well...that is why I work too, so I don't have to care if he likes it or not...lol

janetupnorth said:
Yup Kacey - if you go back to my prior posts I asked her if she was in MN. You still can vaccinate your own (except rabies) in MN but need a vet's prescription to acquire the medications.
Yeah, I lept before I looked again. Sorry :(

Kitchen Diva said:
Yeah, I lept before I looked again. Sorry :(

Hey no problem! Not everyone knows that! I only know because of where I work.

janetupnorth said:
Hey no problem! Not everyone knows that! I only know because of where I work.

Still, you think I'd stop getting so excited about posting, and actually finish a thread before I go hog wild! :)

How's the shoulder? Oh that package should arrive tomorrow via UPS...not USPS...

Kitchen Diva said:
Still, you think I'd stop getting so excited about posting, and actually finish a thread before I go hog wild! :)How's the shoulder? Oh that package should arrive tomorrow via UPS...not USPS...
A little better - the chiropractor worked on it more today and worked on some pressure points. I see a massage therapist tomorrow and she is going to try and work on it some more. I normally get the "treat" of a massage about once a year but after all this it was worth a shot. I've been behaving (until tonight) - I played softball. :blushing: Chiro said I could if I stretched well, behaved and iced. I behaved pretty well. I lightened up a bit and only hit base hits rather than homeruns. The guys came in on me like they usually do (you know 'cause I'm a girl), so I couldn't resist cranking one along the left field line. Got a double on that one...oops - a little overkill...Yeah and thanks on the package - I'm so excited! I'll yell when it is here!

All of my "kids" get their yearly shots and check ups. My cat that passed away about 2 years ago was 21, she never went a year without her check ups and shots.

My "kids" do cost me a lot of money but it's worth it :)

1. Are affordable pet vaccinations necessary for my indoor cat?

Yes, affordable pet vaccinations are necessary for all cats, whether they are indoor or outdoor. While indoor cats may have a lower risk of exposure to certain diseases, they can still be exposed through contact with other animals, insects, or even humans who may have come into contact with a sick animal. Additionally, some diseases can be transmitted through shared household items or through open windows and doors.

2. What are the most important vaccinations for indoor cats?

The most important vaccinations for indoor cats are usually against rabies, feline distemper, and feline leukemia. These diseases can be deadly and easily transmitted, even to indoor cats. Your veterinarian may also recommend additional vaccinations based on your cat's lifestyle and potential exposure to other diseases.

3. How often do indoor cats need to be vaccinated?

The frequency of vaccinations for indoor cats can vary depending on the type of vaccine and your cat's individual risk factors. Most vaccines are given annually, while others may be given every 3 years. It's important to follow your veterinarian's recommended schedule for your cat's vaccinations to ensure their continued protection against diseases.

4. Can indoor cats get diseases from other pets in the household?

Yes, indoor cats can still be at risk for diseases from other pets in the household. Even if your other pets are vaccinated, they can still carry and transmit diseases to your indoor cat. It's important to keep all pets in the household up-to-date on their vaccinations to protect all animals in the household.

5. Are there any risks associated with pet vaccinations for indoor cats?

While there is always a slight risk associated with any medical procedure, the risk of not vaccinating your indoor cat far outweighs the risk of potential side effects from vaccinations. Most cats experience no side effects from vaccinations, and any minor reactions can be easily treated by your veterinarian. The benefits of protecting your cat from dangerous and potentially deadly diseases far outweigh any potential risks.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• crystalscookingnow
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Hathery
  • Tara1021
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Tara1021
  • kaiser