• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Author of 'The Cat Who' Series Dies at 97 in Sc

In summary, Lilian Jackson Braun, the author of the popular "The Cat Who..." mystery series, passed away at the age of 97 in South Carolina. She almost quit writing after her third book was published due to changing popular tastes, but her husband encouraged her to continue. Despite a 18-year hiatus, she resumed writing and her books became bestsellers, translated into 16 languages. Her characters, including the beloved Jim Qwilleran and his Siamese cats Koko and Yum Yum, were so real that readers wanted to meet them. Braun's books redefined the mystery genre and her editor remembers her as a strong and dedicated woman who spoke her mind. Braun wrote her books in longhand and typed
kaiser
Gold Member
Author of 'The Cat Who' series dies at 97 in SC

LANDRUM, S.C. – The author who wrote 29 books in the "The Cat Who ..." mystery series almost quit writing after the third book was published because popular tastes had changed so much, but a casual conversation with her husband convinced her to try again.

Lilian Jackson Braun, who died last week in South Carolina, took an 18-year hiatus between "The Cat Who Turned On and Off" and "The Cat Who Saw Red," published in 1986. She resumed because her husband encouraged her to return to writing after she retired from The Detroit Free Press in 1984.

Braun and her first publisher parted ways when she refused to add sex and violence to her fourth book, her husband, Earl Bettinger of Tryon, N.C., told The Associated Press on Tuesday. On a rainy day years later, she asked Bettinger if he wanted to read the rejected book. "And I said, `Lilian, everything about this book demands that you send it back to your agent.'"

So she tried again, and Berkley Publishing Group, an imprint of Penguin Books (USA), not only accepted her book but also reprinted her first three mysteries.

In an obituary provided by Penguin, Braun discusses that time: "They wanted sex and violence, not kitty-cat stories. Gore was not my style, so I just forgot about `The Cat Who.'"

Braun, 97, died Saturday of natural causes at the Hospice House of the Carolina Foothills in Landrum. She had lived in Tryon, N.C., for the past 23 years. She wrote 31 books, including two short story collections, and worked 30 years at The Detroit Free Press.

"The Cat Who ..." books began with "The Cat Who Could Read Backwards," published in 1966. They ended when Braun retired from writing in 2007 after the publication of "The Cat Who Had 60 Whiskers." Her books about Jim Qwilleran and his Siamese cats, Koko and Yum Yum, were regulars on the New York Times bestseller lists and were translated into 16 languages.

Her characters were so real that people wanted to meet them, Bettinger said. "A woman from Germany called and said she was coming to America and said she would like to meet Jim Qwilleran," he said. "That's how real her characters were."

Braun's books were so popular, he said, because her characters weren't mean and the cats didn't do anything that a cat wouldn't do. "No cats danced and no cats sang," he said.

Her books redefined the mystery genre, said Natalee Rosenstein, Braun's longtime editor and vice president, senior executive editor of Berkley Books, a Penguin Group imprint.

Rosenstein said in a statement that she loved the books when she first read them, but "it did take me awhile to figure out what genre it belonged to.

"She ultimately created a whole new chapter in the American mystery, and our wonderful working relationship spanned more than two decades. But most of all, it is Lilian the person I will remember — a strong, dedicated feisty woman who would always speak her mind and not be intimidated by anyone."

Braun wrote her books in longhand, then typed them herself, according to her publisher.

But the woman who wrote about cats didn't own any in the last years of her life. She was losing her sight, and a kitten kept getting underfoot, Bettinger said. She nearly fell three times so the kitten was sent back to the woman in Atlanta who had given the cat to Braun; the older cat had to be euthanized. The couple had about five cats over the years, all Siamese and all named Koko and Yum Yum, he said.

Braun was born June 20, 1913, in Chicopee Falls, Mass. She was preceded in death by her first husband, Louis Paul Braun; sister, Florence Jackson; and brother, Lloyd Jackson.

No memorial service will be held.

Sad to hear of her passing. My Grandma started buying these for me when I was young - because I had a high reading level, and wanted to read adult type mysteries...and she knew these would be a gentle but fun read.

Through the years, my Mom and I continued to collect "The Cat Who..." books, because they were still a gentle but fun read, and also out of memory of my grandma. I've actually read a couple of them out loud to my son - who gets a big kick out of the adventures of KoKo and YumYum. These books are a part of my heritage and history. Thank you for all of the gentle joy through the years, Lilian Jackson Braun. :love:

Wow, what a fascinating story. It's amazing that Lilian Jackson Braun almost quit writing after her third book, but her husband's encouragement and support ultimately led her to continue and become a successful author. It's also interesting to hear that her books were initially rejected for not having enough sex and violence, but she stuck to her style and eventually found success. It's sad to hear that she passed away, but her legacy will live on through her books. Rest in peace, Lilian Jackson Braun.

1. Who was the author of "The Cat Who" series?

The author of "The Cat Who" series was Lilian Jackson Braun.

2. How old was Lilian Jackson Braun when she passed away?

Lilian Jackson Braun passed away at the age of 97.

3. Where did Lilian Jackson Braun die?

Lilian Jackson Braun passed away in South Carolina.

4. How many books are in "The Cat Who" series?

There are 29 books in "The Cat Who" series.

5. What genre does "The Cat Who" series fall under?

"The Cat Who" series falls under the genre of mystery.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Tara1021
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Tara1021
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies