• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cat Scratch Fever: Beware of the Barn Cat and Her Kittens

In summary, a person is waiting for the third bad thing to happen after their son's collar bone injury and their cat attacking their husband. The cat had kittens and the person's husband was bitten and scratched by the cat, resulting in a visit to the ER and antibiotics. There is a discussion about the seriousness of cat bites and the importance of proper cleaning. Another person shares their experience with cat scratch fever.
crystalscookingnow
Gold Member
Bad things happen in threes, right? Well, now I'm waiting for the third. First Samuel's collar bone, now DH...

We have a cat that is a barn cat (we live on a farm). We think she was someone's pet that was dumped. We usually feed her on our sidewalk b/c the kids love cats, but we can't have them in the house - I'm allergic. This cat had kittens about 5 weeks ago.

She brought one of the kittens to the steps Friday night. DH went out & was going to bring kitty in the house so that the kids could pet it for a bit. Momma kitty didn't like that at all. She attacked DH. Literally attacked him. She bit & clawed up his arm & across his chest. When he got away from her, she went at him again, this time biting him three times on the legs & clawed him up pretty good as well. He was trying to get away from her again & fell against our concrete steps. He landed on his bicep & leg. He's got a black & blue bruise across his muscle.

The bite marks started swelling last night, so I took him to the ER. They gave him anti-biotics for it, but said that it could get even worse, even on the meds.

Sheesh... I'm hoping that the third thing just by-passes us! Two ER visits in one week is more than enough for me!

Cat bites have to be specially cleaned. Their teeth are skinny and sharp enough that the bacteria from their mouths get really deep into flesh and won't come out with a simple swipe of antibiotic. I'd take him to a different clinic to have it properly cleaned.

I kind of thought that they might scrub it or something, but they didn't even do that. They gave him oral antibiotics for 10 days. The bites have scabbed over. Should I take him somewhere else to have them break the scabs open & clean it?

That's a judgement call. The oral meds might take care of it. My sister's coworker was bitten and didn't have it cleaned well (nor did she get oral meds) and her whole hand swelled up pretty badly, and she had a nasty infection. But that was without meds.
Keep an eye on it for the next couple of days. If it's still pink, sore or swollen, definitely send him back in.

I'll definitely keep an eye on it. I don't want the infection to lead to staph or spread to his bloodstream. :yuck:

I would call another doctor.

My 4yr old had surgery and the next day he was REALLY SICK. :yuck::yuck:I called the dr many times that day and finally I said I was taking him to the ER. Well we went and at 11 pm the er dr came in and said that Matthew's white blood count was Abnormally high. Of course I said WHAT? What does that mean? She instantly said that he has cat scratch fever or Leukemia. I cried so hard that night and he was hospitalized for a week! It turns out that he had gotten an infection at the same day surgery center and it was his body trying to ward off the infection. He had to have a second surgery 2 days later to release the infection (man, it looked TERRIBLE!) and was finally released from the hospital. Now I don't mess around and take them in if I think it deserves a second opinion.

Good Luck. :)

Did they not give him a tetanus (sp?) shot??

When my son was three... my Mom called me home from work wanting to know if I had noticed the golf ball size knot on my sons neck. I hadn't but when she pointed it out I got horrible mommy guilt and flew him to the Dr. Turned out he had cat scratch fever. He was fine with in a week with meds. I wouldn't stress to much! :) I wanted to add my son's was from a scratch on his arm not a bite!

They should of cleaned it, usually they soak it.

I had a friend who was cat sitting and the cat really scratched her in the face. She got cat scratch fever and was in intensive care for awhile, almost didn't make it.

Ann R

Jenni said:
When my son was three... my Mom called me home from work wanting to know if I had noticed the golf ball size knot on my sons neck. I hadn't but when she pointed it out I got horrible mommy guilt and flew him to the Dr. Turned out he had cat scratch fever. He was fine with in a week with meds. I wouldn't stress to much! :)

I wanted to add my son's was from a scratch on his arm not a bite!

YES! This same thing happened to my friends then 2 yr old, except her knot was in her armpit! The drs though she had some infection in her lymph nodes and she eventually had to have surgery on Thanksgiving weeked of all times and it was a mess! They were dealing w/ everything until after New Years! Glad your dh got some meds for it! Hopefully he is feeling better soon!

I am HIGHLY allergic to cats and have been scratched a few times. In fact, I spent a whole day in the ER in July because of allergic reaction and ended up having a panic attack (long story.) Anyways, if your hubby is showing signs of allergic reaction (pink, swelling, soreness and itching) then he needs to take benadryl and possibly have an epinephrin shot. That, along with the antibiotics, should clear up the bacteria. Also, if the scratches have already healed (scabbed over), keep neosporin on it for a few days. Cool compresses help with the swelling and itching.

Hope he feels better. And we'll keep your family in our prayers.

Well, he seems to be doing better this morning. The swelling & the redness have gone down slightly. Not a lot though. He says he's not going back unless it's bad. Stubborn men. :p

I have to be honest here, I had never heard of "Cat Scratch Fever" until a few weeks ago, when my daughter-n-law said her sister had it and was having to have a lump removed. I thought ok whatever, as she is always coming up with something stupid, like mascara is bat crap or the AUSSI brand of shampoo's are made with kangaroo sperm. SO I blew it off.... So, I guess I owe her an apology. I'm off to goggle this for more infomation. Crystal, glad you hubby is doing better, Keep an eye on him, those stubborn men are something else.

crystalscookingnow said:
Well, he seems to be doing better this morning. The swelling & the redness have gone down slightly. Not a lot though. He says he's not going back unless it's bad. Stubborn men. :p

Glad he is better!

As long as re responds to the antibiotics your husband should be fine. The debate on cleaning the area or not is still up for grabs, mostly it depends on the antibiotic itself. It more than likely is a stronger antibiotic so no need to scrub the area. From the sounds of things he went later in the evening and not at the time of the bites. If that is the case it can be more harm to try to open up the already covered over areas. :eek: The body is a wonderful thing.

Do keep an eye on your DH's bites, and if any puss or streaking is noted than he needs to go back to the Dr. This could mean the antibiotic is not strong enough. Make sure he uses an antibacterial soap such as Dial and wash the area 3x's a day and dry it completely. It has been found that doing this seems to increase the healing time on any type of open areas. :cool:

If you have any other questions or concerns call your local clinic or Dr's office, or you can pm me if you wish. I am a Critical Care Nurse and have been for over 16 years so don't hesitate to contact me if you have questions. I may or may not be able to answer, but I will find out whatever it is you need.

I hope your DH gets to feeling better soon.:)

Thanks a bunch everyone for all of your wisdom. I just talked to DH again & looked at his arm. It has gotten significantly better. Lisa, he did wait two days to go to the ER. The prescription that they gave him was Keflex 500 two times a day.

PS - I told him that the general concensus here was to get a second opinion. This morning he told me "Go tell your Chef girls that I'm tough, I'm a man & I don't need a second opinion". He said it in loving jest b/c he knows how much I rely on you guys! :D

Sounds like I might be married to him myself!

cwinter474 said:
I have to be honest here, I had never heard of "Cat Scratch Fever" until a few weeks ago, when my daughter-n-law said her sister had it and was having to have a lump removed. I thought ok whatever, as she is always coming up with something stupid, like mascara is bat crap or the AUSSI brand of shampoo's are made with kangaroo sperm. SO I blew it off.... So, I guess I owe her an apology. I'm off to goggle this for more infomation. Crystal, glad you hubby is doing better, Keep an eye on him, those stubborn men are something else.

rofl!! She sounds like something else!

Gah! Reminds me of the time my mom bent down to pet a cat at the same moment the cat noticed her dog in the distance. The cat jumped up, sunk its claws into her neck, and was literally HANGING from her neck by its claws!! She had some real nasty wounds from that one.

What is "Cat Scratch Fever"?

"Cat Scratch Fever" is a common term used to describe a bacterial infection called cat scratch disease. It is caused by a bacteria called Bartonella henselae and is most commonly contracted from a scratch or bite from an infected cat.

What are the symptoms of "Cat Scratch Fever"?

The symptoms of "Cat Scratch Fever" can vary, but typically include a small bump or blister at the site of the scratch or bite, followed by swollen and tender lymph nodes near the area. Other symptoms may include fever, headache, fatigue, and body aches.

How is "Cat Scratch Fever" diagnosed?

A doctor will typically diagnose "Cat Scratch Fever" based on the symptoms and a physical examination. They may also order a blood test to check for antibodies to the bacteria, or perform a biopsy of the affected lymph nodes to confirm the diagnosis.

How is "Cat Scratch Fever" treated?

In most cases, "Cat Scratch Fever" will resolve on its own without treatment. However, a doctor may prescribe antibiotics if the infection is severe or if the patient has a weakened immune system. Over-the-counter pain relievers may also be recommended to help with any discomfort.

How can I prevent "Cat Scratch Fever"?

To prevent "Cat Scratch Fever", it is important to avoid rough play with cats and to wash any scratches or bites immediately with soap and water. It is also recommended to keep your cat's nails trimmed and to discourage them from scratching or biting. If you have a weakened immune system, it is best to avoid contact with cats altogether.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
rennea
  • kaiser
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • kcjodih
  • General Chat
Replies