• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Please Pray for Me and My Family. End of May We Unexpectedly Were

the contractor never came to look. A month after I moved in, I sent a work order in and the owner came to inspect... 5 days after we moved in. 1 week later I sent another work order and got a nasty letter back from the owner accusing me of putting dirty dishes in the sink, leaving my dog's urine in the room, not cleaning after my dog, having a dog that barks excessively and not cleaning up after it, and having a plant in my front window that is blocking the sun. I was never given the opportunity to correct any of these allegations. I have never had such a bad experience with a landlord before. The only explanation I can think of is that the owner is so
lockhartkitchen
Please pray for me and my family. End of May we unexpectedly were given 30 day notice to move (owner losing house). We invested all we had $3500 to move into a new rental. The first day we moved in we had many things wrong with the new house. I sent a work order. They came to look only 5 days after moving in. 1 week later sent a nasty letter (house not organized, dishes in sink, smelled like urine). They were convinced my dog had peed and were coming back to inspect.

My house was spotless 1 week later. Urine still smelled to them. I called the carpet company they suggested. He determined it was my couch. My old cat had sprayed it before we moved. I didn't get a chance to clean it. I got rid of the couch. One day after they came, my dog had an accident. I used professional cleaners to fix. I called a carpet company they reccommended back, to check the carpets and smell the house without the couch.

Everything in the house was fine as he checked the whole house except for a quarter size in my room. beeped.(where dog had accident). He told me to use my steam cleaner and it would be fine. Today I get an eviction notice because his report said there was urine crystals still in the carpet. No mention it was a quarter size. I have been given 10 days to vacate. I've never had anything like this happen. I'm a teacher, make great money, and live in a middle income neighborhood. It's unexplainable how I feel. I spent $60 on flowers I'm planning to dig out of the boxes. We go talk to them tomorrow, but needless to say, I don't want to rent from a place like that and I'm still going to be homeless.

Re: EvictionMan that sucks!! Sounds like you were doing everything you could to solve problem.
You may want to check the law but after they serve you with an eviction notice, You still have either 30 or 60 days to move.

Re: EvictionPrayers you will find a place for your family that isn't so ... anyway - Good Luck!!

Re: EvictionI'm so sorry you're going through this. I've prayed for peace, comfort, and a solution.

Re: EvictionJulie I am so sorry for everything you are going through.

Re: EvictionJulie,

I hate to hear about this. If the landlord is that anal (especially knowing in advance you had animals, which I'm sure you paid a pet deposit on), you probably wouldn't have been happy living there anyway.

Blessings on your new move.

Re: EvictionThank you all. Today I'm speaking with the rental company, pray I have strength.

Re: EvictionBest of luck - I wish I didn't know about such hardships but mine are more about losing a home and not making good money. I will pray for you guys as I know the only reason I have a roof over my head is due to God and prayer!

Re: EvictionWe will be praying!

Re: EvictionDid they know you had a dog before you moved in?

Good luck!

Re: EvictionI'm so sorry to hear about the troubles you've been having- you should check your state renter's laws... I live in MA and I know here you can not be evicted without 30 days notice and you can file for a 30 day extension based on various conditions.Typically renters have more rights than landlords do, so definitely look into it! Typically you can find your state rental laws by googling them- i.e. (your state)+rental laws. Just make sure it's a state government website you're looking at to be sure everything is accurate.Good luck and lots of prayers!

Re: EvictionI paid for the dog as this was a condition I made clear before renting. I found out today, the real reason the owner wants to end my lease isn't because of the one accident my dog made on the floor. I was sent a copy of an email today from the rental company saying that they had recently had a conversation with a contractor (working on my previous home I rented), which bad mouthed me. It scared the owner and that's why we've been told we have to leave. In our last house we had an old cat that before it died had peed on the carpet in numerous spots. Because we were friends with the owner, and I knew he was selling the house, I wanted to make everything in great shape before I left. I painted all the walls in the house, I replaced the entire house of carpet and paid to have it installed as well. We had a window break the day we were moving (bed pole fell), so I ordered the window and it's to be installed this week. The owner of the house had no issues with us. His contractor does work for my current rental company as well. He told them the carpets had been destroyed, he had to repaint the whole interior, etc. He had no right. He didn't mention we were the ones who replaced the carpet. Or that the only reason he was hired to paint, was because the owner was selling the house, and I didn't do such a "professional" job. I talked with my former landlord today, and suggested he talk to his "friend" and tell him how unethical he was in his comments. I meet with a new house owner prospect Saturday. I've already seen the house, and was the first showing. She's showing the house to a second couple and will then make a decision on who gets it. We have many friends praying. The sad thing: I've gone to dinner parties at the contractors house in the past. Not a Christian and now his true colors have shown.

Re: Eviction
lockhartkitchen said:
I paid for the dog as this was a condition I made clear before renting. I found out today, the real reason the owner wants to end my lease isn't because of the one accident my dog made on the floor. I was sent a copy of an email today from the rental company saying that they had recently had a conversation with a contractor (working on my previous home I rented), which bad mouthed me. It scared the owner and that's why we've been told we have to leave. In our last house we had an old cat that before it died had peed on the carpet in numerous spots. Because we were friends with the owner, and I knew he was selling the house, I wanted to make everything in great shape before I left. I painted all the walls in the house, I replaced the entire house of carpet and paid to have it installed as well. We had a window break the day we were moving (bed pole fell), so I ordered the window and it's to be installed this week. The owner of the house had no issues with us. His contractor does work for my current rental company as well. He told them the carpets had been destroyed, he had to repaint the whole interior, etc. He had no right. He didn't mention we were the ones who replaced the carpet. Or that the only reason he was hired to paint, was because the owner was selling the house, and I didn't do such a "professional" job. I talked with my former landlord today, and suggested he talk to his "friend" and tell him how unethical he was in his comments. I meet with a new house owner prospect Saturday. I've already seen the house, and was the first showing. She's showing the house to a second couple and will then make a decision on who gets it. We have many friends praying. The sad thing: I've gone to dinner parties at the contractors house in the past. Not a Christian and now his true colors have shown.

Totally unethical! They cannot kick you out because of that!

Re: EvictionHmm, I believe slander is a legal offense - oh, why, yes it is: this is from Nolo: Law Books, Legal Forms and Legal Software

A type of defamation. Slander is an untruthful oral (spoken) statement about a person that harms the person's reputation or standing in the community. Because slander is a tort (a civil wrong), the injured person can bring a lawsuit against the person who made the false statement.

I don't condone frivolous lawsuits, but I do think you should have a long talk with this contractor 'friend' and let him know he's setting himself up for bigger trouble than what he's caused you.

Re: Evictionwhy not call the contractor yourself and try to clear things up? People only get half info most of the time and make decisions. he's needs to hear all the story. I'm getting tougher in my older age. LOL!

Re: Evictionoh, my gosh I pray everything works out for you. A number of years ago we made a contract on a house, part of the contract said we had to be approved for the amount. We were not approved because the bank said the owner was asking too much. The owner then had their lawyer send us a letter saying we still had to buy the house because we had a contract. It was horrible; I remember crying @ work and saying these people go to church all the time. Our lawyer sent theirs a letter saying we were not obligated to buy because of we were not approved for a loan. It ended up we had to sign a paper saying we would not hold the ower liable for anything! The house ended up selling, but the new owners didn't get all the property and a big building that went with it; my understanding is the original owners kept it and rent it. It seemed all about the money.

Re: EvictionI meet an owner of a new house tomorrow. She wanted to meet with us in person. She says she rents by her gut instinct. Let's hope I've made a connection with her with my conversations on the phone, and she rents to us. I had to put PC on the back burner two months ago as we were in the moving process, now I've been in such a bummed mood, it's hard to get motivated. I do a small town fair tomorrow, I'm trying to stay positive.

Re: EvictionGood luck Julie. Let us know what happens. I will be praying for you and your family.

lockhartkitchen said:
I paid for the dog as this was a condition I made clear before renting. I found out today, the real reason the owner wants to end my lease isn't because of the one accident my dog made on the floor. I was sent a copy of an email today from the rental company saying that they had recently had a conversation with a contractor (working on my previous home I rented), which bad mouthed me. It scared the owner and that's why we've been told we have to leave. In our last house we had an old cat that before it died had peed on the carpet in numerous spots. Because we were friends with the owner, and I knew he was selling the house, I wanted to make everything in great shape before I left. I painted all the walls in the house, I replaced the entire house of carpet and paid to have it installed as well. We had a window break the day we were moving (bed pole fell), so I ordered the window and it's to be installed this week. The owner of the house had no issues with us. His contractor does work for my current rental company as well. He told them the carpets had been destroyed, he had to repaint the whole interior, etc. He had no right. He didn't mention we were the ones who replaced the carpet. Or that the only reason he was hired to paint, was because the owner was selling the house, and I didn't do such a "professional" job. I talked with my former landlord today, and suggested he talk to his "friend" and tell him how unethical he was in his comments. I meet with a new house owner prospect Saturday. I've already seen the house, and was the first showing. She's showing the house to a second couple and will then make a decision on who gets it. We have many friends praying. The sad thing: I've gone to dinner parties at the contractors house in the past. Not a Christian and now his true colors have shown.

I am very sorry that you are going through this, but this has nothing to do with religion. Just because someone is not a Christian does not mean they are not a good person or that their "true colors" are bad! I hope that everything works out for you, but please be careful what you post- I am not a Christian, and I (and others) consider myself to be a very good person. I also know many Christians who are not good people as well.

lockhartkitchen said:

This is a very good reason to go to court and apply for an extension on your eviction, if your state permits you to do so. This does not provide your landlord for grounds for eviction, at least based on my state's laws.

Re: EvictionI want to know what it matters to teh landlord that there were dishes in teh sink and the house was disorganized??? Is that really any of their concern?
WOW.... I understand the pee thing, but I have NEVER heard of it being any landlords business how disorganised the house is ect....

Is this normal in the U.S.?

:eek:

lockhartkitchen said:
Please pray for me and my family. End of May we unexpectedly were given 30 day notice to move (owner losing house). We invested all we had $3500 to move into a new rental. The first day we moved in we had many things wrong with the new house. I sent a work order. They came to look only 5 days after moving in. 1 week later sent a nasty letter (house not organized, dishes in sink, smelled like urine). They were convinced my dog had peed and were coming back to inspect.

My house was spotless 1 week later. Urine still smelled to them. I called the carpet company they suggested. He determined it was my couch. My old cat had sprayed it before we moved. I didn't get a chance to clean it. I got rid of the couch. One day after they came, my dog had an accident. I used professional cleaners to fix. I called a carpet company they reccommended back, to check the carpets and smell the house without the couch.

Everything in the house was fine as he checked the whole house except for a quarter size in my room. beeped.(where dog had accident). He told me to use my steam cleaner and it would be fine. Today I get an eviction notice because his report said there was urine crystals still in the carpet. No mention it was a quarter size. I have been given 10 days to vacate. I've never had anything like this happen. I'm a teacher, make great money, and live in a middle income neighborhood. It's unexplainable how I feel. I spent $60 on flowers I'm planning to dig out of the boxes. We go talk to them tomorrow, but needless to say, I don't want to rent from a place like that and I'm still going to be homeless.

Veevahchef said:
I want to know what it matters to teh landlord that there were dishes in teh sink and the house was disorganized??? Is that really any of their concern?
WOW.... I understand the pee thing, but I have NEVER heard of it being any landlords business how disorganised the house is ect....

No, it's not, and it's also not legal to be evicted because of it. The only problem I can see with dishes in the sink would be the potential onset of bugs and or rodents, but it doesn't sound like the case was nearly that extreme from the original post.

Re: EvictionI PM'ed you - I know a landlord in the region, but you may not be able to live as far away as their properties.

kdangel518 said:
I am very sorry that you are going through this, but this has nothing to do with religion. Just because someone is not a Christian does not mean they are not a good person or that their "true colors" are bad! I hope that everything works out for you, but please be careful what you post- I am not a Christian, and I (and others) consider myself to be a very good person. I also know many Christians who are not good people as well.

No need to be careful of what I post. You are taking out of my post, what you want to hear. I didn't say non-Christians were bad people. I said THIS person's "true colors" showed. (Meaning I knew him before as a friend- and "friends" (Christian or non-Christian) don't do this. "true colors" is a phrase meaning you get to see what a person is really like. Obviously this isn't a person who cares about others, or their feelings.) My comment of being a non-Christian, referred to this act he did. I don't know any person of true-faith that would intentionally stoop this low, without having a heavy heart. It has nothing to do with "being a good person".

Veevahchef said:
I want to know what it matters to teh landlord that there were dishes in teh sink and the house was disorganized??? Is that really any of their concern?

No. I've never had a problem before. I wanted to clarify to everyone that I used the word eviction (what I really meant was the owner chose to terminate the month-to-month lease). Eviction is the step after termination if I didn't leave.Sorry, I had used the wrong word.

I've never had any landlord say anything about boxes not unboxed, etc. before, and it's not a US thing. It was very weird. I really think that they were mad that I had sent them a list of things that needed to be fixed, and this was their way of dealing with it. Their letter said my complaint of ants would be dealt with by me not having "soiled clothes in the laundry room. and dishes in the sink." Mind you, my clothes were in a clothes basket and I had a small sink of dishes.

The ants are everywhere, not my kitchen. They are crawling up the walls in the interior of the master bedroom, master bathroom, my clothes and dishes weren't creating these. The ants were there the day I walked the house to see if I wanted it. I mentioned the ants as they were crawling everywhere in the cupboards, etc. without food. The company said they would be taken care of before I moved in. They never were.

Good news: I've applied for a house that I should hear back from by beginning of next week (credit checking, etc.). I'm crossing my fingers the call to the current rental company goes fine. They said they wouldn't "sandbag" me.

Re: EvictionGiven the landlord's reasoning, I would have contacted a Housing organization about this- sounds a little fishy (and slightly illegal) to me. I can't think of the name of the group- like you have Labor Dept for employee relations...seems there is something like it for landlord/renters, etc. But it sounds like he was trying to get you out- probably had a better offer or deal on the house and was grasping at straws. I don't think I would have been a very nice person in the same circumstances.
Good luck to you!!

Re: EvictionThanks Bobbi. I too, believe something was fishy, but I need a reference, so I couldn't push it.

Re: EvictionWas excited when I made a connectiion with a new potential landlord. He even gave us a move-in date. He called on references yesterday (my PC friend told me). Today he calls me and says we won't be in now. (I paid $70 to get a credit check, etc.). I asked him why. He said my current property management company when asked about the dog, said they would suggest he get extra deposits from us.

I called the property management today and asked what they had said. She said we were good tenants and paid on time. "He said you were moving out because of repairs so I "played" along." We are!! Nothing has been fixed. "that was it". I told her there was a conversation about the dog. "oh yeah". "Well, I have to be honest. Pets are the issue." "Did you get denied?". What the h... did she think? "Are you going to be actively looking?". Duh!! I told her it would be hard to get into somewhere if she continued with answers like that.

I decided to turn the tables. I called another rental company with a listing and was totally honest with EVERY detail about how no repairs have been done, I called a carpet company out that was recommended BY my current rental company, and they okayed all but a quarter sized spot (which I have now taken care of). I even invited him to come look inside my current residence. He said they look at things on a person to person basis, and it sounded like my problem was easily explained. He's checking with the owner to see if he will allow my dog, which was over the 25 lb. that he had okayed. I'll hear back soon. Today was the day we were to be out. Not happening.

Re: EvictionWhat an ordeal! Best of luck finding a good place soon!I'd also ask about that $70. It didn't cost him $70 to do all that...how pathetic. :(

Re: EvictionThat's a shame, people can be so mean and unsympathetic. Here's praying all ends up for the best.

janetupnorth said:
What an ordeal! Best of luck finding a good place soon!

I'd also ask about that $70. It didn't cost him $70 to do all that...how pathetic. :(

That's what I was thinking!

I had a landlord like that too, back when I was in college. Unbeknownst to us, she was coming in and sneaking around when we weren't there. This was in the South, and she was a racist through and through - she started making trouble for my roommate and myself, because we had friends over whose color of skin she didn't approve of. She trumped up all kinds of nasty things about us, and made it very difficult for me to rent when I left there. I had to ask for people to PLEASE talk to her husband for a referral, and not her!

Re: EvictionWhen the property management knew I had a place to move on Aug.15 they said that would be okay if it was a week or two after the deadline. Now tonight I get in an EMAIL:

Neal & Julie, regarding the notice to vacate. The notice period is up today and I understand that you still have not located another rental. We will have to file for Non-Compliance with the courts tomorrow, July 31, 2009. This will give you until August 10, 2009 to vacate the property or there will be a court hearing on the morning of August 11, 2009 for failure to vacate. You will then have an eviction on your record. The courts will give you until August 17, 2009 to vacate. At that time the sheriff will come and do a lock-out. If you vacate prior to 12:00 on August 10, 2009 and have returned the keys to our office, we can cancel the court hearing for August 11. 2009.

Needless to say, we're going to talk to a lawyer tomorrow. Even the house I found I can't get in until Aug.20.

Re: EvictionJulie, oh my gosh, what a nightmare you are going through. I royally dislike people that can get away with telling half truths to benefit thier cause. People like that should have to live on an island with people just like them, maybe then they would see what they have done to other people, how hurtful that can be.

Julie, I pray for you and your family to finally find peace and justice in this unjust situation.

Re: EvictionI'd go to the court hearing and explain to the judge all the work you've done and how you've been looking.

I'd also explain their failure to remedy situations at the current place and also how they've cost you quite a few places you've looked at!

Re: EvictionThank you for your continued prayers. We have a lot of faults in their "case".

All their communication to us has been through email, not a paper copy.

They accepted our monthly check through July 31, yet they are filing with the courts, because we're not out today.

They've never repaired any of the items.

My son has rights, because he is considered disabled with this diabetes. They can't leave us homeless.

Re: EvictionI don't understand these people at all. If you weren't paying rent, were trashing the place, and refusing to leave after receiving the notice to vacate, I can understand the need to go to court. But, not only is none of this true, they know you're actively looking for another home, and they have been the cause of at least one potential landlord turning you down. It's not even that they're trying to get you out sooner (than the agreed date of 8/15), since they admit the court proceedings would give you until 8/17. How are they benefiting from any of this? All it does is make them look like ignorant fools who don't know how to properly and professionally run their business.

Re: EvictionDo you have one of those News Channels that have their Reporters who take on dirt bags like this? We have a couple in our area and it's amazing how people change their tune when their face and name are on TV. Course, the flip side is if you wanted to be on TV.Definitely call the lawyer, and PRINT THOSE Emails! I don't see how they can give you a bad reference KNOWING you won't be able to secure a place, and then hold you to being gone by that date! You sound much more calm and cool in your posts, but I think I would have put my fist through the wall by now.I pray things work out for you. Is there anyway you can temporarily have someone else keep the dog for you until you can secure a place? Maybe by not having him right now, that will help at least get you into a home??? And then deal with that aspect later?

Re: EvictionI have saved all their emails, yes. I'm calm, but hurting inside. I went to the fair tonight to listen to Tracy Laurence. We left early. I just wasn't in a good mood. My husband saw a friend at the fair that is a lawyer, who told us to come see him tomorrow. I agree, "I don't see how they can give you a bad reference KNOWING you won't be able to secure a place,"

I'll keep everyone posted. We're taking photos of the problems in the house, that they have not fixed for the almost two months we've been here. I can't think of leaving my dog with someone. She's like one of my kids. After talking with the lawyer tomorrow, we should have a better idea of where we go from here. We do have a newschannel that does that, but unfortunately, I'm a teacher in this town, and I don't want my name all over like that.

Re: EvictionUpdate: We went and looked at a house with another property management yesterday. It was nice. I have been very upfront with this company about the issues with the current managment company. He doesn't seem concerned. Yeah! We invited him to our home Monday, so he could meet our dog and see our house. I wanted to show that I have nothing to hide, the house is well-kept,etc.

If we get this house, move in date is Aug.20, so we will be going to court on Aug.11 in front of a judge to explain the situation. We also want it public record with the poor business practices this company has used. We had another neighbor visit us yesterday with their support to come to court! I'll miss my great neighbors.

Re: EvictionThat's good news. Also, if you get the place, I don't think a judge would kick you out of your current place sooner!

Re: EvictionWow, I am so sorry that you are going thru this. I wish you all the best of luck in front of the Judge.

I am sure that there is some way to report this landlord. Hardworking decent people should not have to endure this type of treatment.

Re: EvictionWe've found a way! I can't remember if I posted about the large hole under the stove. Well, anyway, there is hole (about 1 foot in diameter) under the stove. THe stove is brand new and was put in before I came in, so the rental company was aware of this giant hole. This is against rental codes. Along with the hole (I found when cleaning under there) was a sizeable amount of mouse poo that had built up. Who knows what can crawl up through this huge hole. They also had put a piece of sheet metal over another part of the hole, so the stove could sit on something. I can see to the ground! We're filing with the city tomorrow for unsafe living conditions, along with all the maintenance that has not been fixed for decent living.

Showing of my house went well today. It sounds like we'll get the new house. I still have to go to court next Monday, because I won't have a move in date until after Aug.20. We're requesting a trial to bring a case against this management company.

Re: EvictionYou go girl!

Re: EvictionThank you Bobbi! You've all been a great support. I'm taking my mind off the house for the next few days. I'm covering ships at the fair Thursday and Friday. I'm hoping to get my August with more shows.

Re: EvictionBoy you are tired if you are covering ships. ;)So glad to hear of your good news!!!! Good luck fighting them!

Re: EvictionThanks Janet! My director called me last night. She is awesome! She knows everything that's been going on. She asked if I had goals for PC and what she could do to help. She's been keeping in touch with one of my recruits. My biggest help I told her, was if she could touch base with my recruits right now. I'm justing towing the line myself, and I really need my recruits, and theirs, to continue with some needed support. As soon as we here the new house is a for sure, I can feel some relief and get out of my mental slump. I try to do something each day with PC. My goal of 8 shows a month, seems like an unreachable goal, but I keep at it.

Re: EvictionI went and saw a legal aid lawyer today. She wasn't very hopeful. I go to court on Monday, where I have to agree to mediation or request a trial. We want to request a trial. The lawyer said, we might have a case on: the fact they gave us our eviction notice via email rather than written which is the law, but then they would just turn around and write a copy of an eviction. We have the list of repairs, but saying they are going after us in retaliation, is hard to prove. The fact that our dog did not pee in the livingroom where their meter beeped, is he said/she said, and hard to prove it was another pet. The hole under our stove, the mice, and the ants, and the mold, are things they could say they weren't aware of or are working on. I was very disappointed that there are laws that protect tenants, but no one enforces them. Unbelievable. I'm calling the new rental company tomorrow to see if we get the new house. If not, I honestly don't know what we are going to do. We'll know more Monday. Keep us in your prayers.

Re: EvictionPraying for you hon!!!

But please keep in mind that some lawyers would promise you the moon, drag you through a huge court battle, all while collecting lots of fee's and you would have learned this dissapointing news much later. An attorney I worked for had a couple of clients with a much lesser issue, after 2 years and $75 thousand in attorney's fee's they were awarded $10,000. BUT they weren't able to collect it and are STILL (this was 7 years ago) renewing the judgement.

Keep your chin up and do your best!

Re: EvictionI've been following your posts and am keeping you in my prayers. Truly sorry to read you are going thru such an ordeal.

Re: EvictionThank you. I continue to put everything out of my mind at times. It's the only way to get through it. Today my mind is at the fair while I work on getting hosts for September.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Sheila
  • Lisa/ChefBear
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Lisa/ChefBear
  • nikked
  • General Chat
Replies