• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Moving to Portland: A New Start for a Small City Business Owner

In summary, the conversation is about someone considering moving to Portland, Oregon for better job opportunities and a change of scenery. They are also interested in finding a group of active FDs to join. A fellow Pampered Chef consultant shares their positive experience of moving to Portland and the benefits of living in a larger city. They encourage the person to take the opportunity if it aligns with their goals and desires.
Kristina21
My DH wants to move us to Portland, OR...and I'm all for the move! The area we live in is...well crap. We have no jobs and prices are the highest in the country. My family all live in Portland or Seattle, I'll look forward to being so close. Plus I would love to just live somewhere different!

So my question is: How many of you ladies and gentlemen live in that area? I would love to find a cluster that would like a very active FD to join them!

Is it worth it to move from a small city to a very large one, business wise?

Would I be able to find a job more easily? I'm not sure what kind of job I'd be able to get but I'm confident in my ability to learn and keep up with the competition!

As a fellow pampered chef consultant, I can't speak for everyone who lives in the Portland area, but I can share my own experience. I moved to Portland from a small town about five years ago and I have absolutely no regrets. The job market here is definitely better than where I came from, and there are so many opportunities in a variety of industries. Plus, the cost of living is much more reasonable compared to other major cities on the West Coast. In terms of living in a larger city, it definitely has its pros and cons. On one hand, there is always something to do and see, and the cultural diversity is amazing. On the other hand, it can be overwhelming at times and the traffic can be a nightmare. But overall, I think the benefits outweigh the challenges. As for finding a group of active FDs, I'm sure you won't have any trouble. Portland is known for its outdoor activities and there are plenty of groups and clubs you can join to meet like-minded individuals. And with your family already living in the area, I'm sure you'll have a built-in support system. In my opinion, if you have the opportunity to move to Portland and it aligns with your goals and desires, I say go for it. It's a beautiful city with so much to offer, and I don't think you'll regret the decision. Best of luck to you and your family!

1. What are the top industries in Portland for small businesses?

Portland has a diverse economy with a strong focus on tech, healthcare, and professional services. Other popular industries for small businesses include food and beverage, tourism, and creative industries.

2. What is the cost of living like in Portland?

The cost of living in Portland is higher than the national average, but it is still considered affordable compared to other major cities on the west coast. The cost of housing and transportation tend to be the most significant expenses for residents.

3. What is the business culture like in Portland?

Portland has a laid-back and collaborative business culture, with a strong emphasis on sustainability and social responsibility. Networking and community involvement are highly valued, and there is a supportive community for small business owners.

4. Are there any resources available for small business owners in Portland?

Yes, there are many resources available for small business owners in Portland, including the Small Business Development Center, the Portland Business Alliance, and various networking groups and events. There are also numerous resources for funding, mentorship, and education.

5. What are some challenges that small business owners may face in Portland?

Some challenges that small business owners may face in Portland include high competition in certain industries, increasing costs of living, and navigating the city's regulations and permits. It is important to do thorough research and have a solid business plan before starting a business in Portland.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jcsmilez
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
3RingChef
  • pcsharon1
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies