• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

He's Leaving the Military: Advice Needed for Moving to Huntsville

In summary, the Blackhawk helicopter tech called his wife to tell her that he is moving to Huntsville to be closer to her and their children. He is worried about leaving his home and family, but is willing to make the move if it is what will make him happy. He recommends looking at http://www.greatschools.net/ for information on great schools in the area.
sillylittlechef
maybe and leave the military, and calls me from 16 hours away to tell me this so that I can't strangle him!

He is a Blackhawk helicopter tech with the National Guard and has also done this active duty army and as a civilian contractor. Well, he is supposed to go back to Iraq in Jan for a second tour. He is very proud to serve, and doesn't want to give that part up, but right now, he drives an hour and a half to work (on a good day) to Chicago's Midway airport. and it's atleast 2 hours to get home at night. We hardly ever see each other. They send him all over the place to pick up/drop off helicopters (no extra pay). He's stuck in AL right now because the helicopter broke. Who knows when he'll make it home. Anyway......
He called tonight to ask me what I would think about moving to Huntsville. (We lived in Ozark, AL for awhile before) I didn't mind that so much because atleast we were only an hour from the ocean. (We got married there.) I told him that if he thinks he will be happier with his job, drive, home, life...then it would be fine with me. So, I have spent all evening searching the real estate sites. My gosh homes are cheap...and taxes for a year are what I pay in two months!
So, anyone know that area and can give me any advice about the area, schools, neighborhoods....
Or just advice in general. I'm trying to be supportive of him and I know he has been so unhappy living where we are (this is where I grew up.) But, at the same time this is home to me, I am afraid to leave it. I've left before for short periods of time, but always came back. But once my children are in school we are staying put. So, this time is crucial -DD starts kindergarten in a year.
any advice out there?

The NASA space center is in Huntsville-we went there 2 years ago with a field trip. The area looked very nice. Not sure about schools, but with all the brainiacs there with NASA, I'm sure they want good schools for their kids. Just a thought.

Be sure to get the "Move it, don't lose it" audio from your next supply order so you can keep your business running when you move.

My husband was supposed to get out last june from the military too. And yet they kept him in and sent him to Iraq for a year (again) last jan. There are no gurantees. Talk it over and look at ALL the military options/regulations and possibilities they may throw at him to keep him in. You'll have to decide if you want to stay where you have family and friends to help you out, or if you want to move to a new place and have him shipped off shortly. It's a rough decision to make, so my advice is to look at every aspect and possibility. Good luck.

1. What are the best neighborhoods in Huntsville for military families?

The most popular neighborhoods for military families in Huntsville include Madison, Hampton Cove, and South Huntsville. These areas offer great schools, community amenities, and proximity to Redstone Arsenal.

2. How is the job market in Huntsville for military spouses?

The job market in Huntsville is very strong for military spouses. The city is home to many government contractors and technology companies, providing a variety of job opportunities. Additionally, there are resources available such as the Military Spouse Employment Partnership that can assist with job placement.

3. Are there any military-specific resources available in Huntsville?

Yes, there are several military-specific resources available in Huntsville. The Redstone Arsenal Army Community Service offers a variety of services including relocation assistance, employment assistance, and spouse support groups. There is also a USO center located on Redstone Arsenal.

4. What are some fun things to do in Huntsville for military families?

Huntsville has plenty of family-friendly activities for military families to enjoy. Some popular options include visiting the U.S. Space and Rocket Center, exploring the Botanical Gardens, and attending a Huntsville Havoc hockey game. There are also many outdoor recreation options, such as hiking and camping in nearby Monte Sano State Park.

5. How can I find affordable housing in Huntsville as a military family?

There are a few ways to find affordable housing in Huntsville as a military family. The Army Community Service can assist with finding on-base housing options at Redstone Arsenal. Additionally, there are many military-friendly real estate agents in the area who can help you find off-base housing within your budget. Finally, utilizing resources such as the Military By Owner website can also be helpful in finding affordable housing options.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ahammons
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
vwpamperedchef
Replies
Views
raebates
  • pcsharon1
  • General Chat
Replies