• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Moving to Alabama: What to Do Before You Go

In summary, Dusty is moving to Alabama with her whole family in August and is looking for any information she can on the state. She is also excited to be moving closer to her sister in Florence.
sillylittlechef
Well, it is official we are moving to Alabama the end of August. I haven't even been to Huntsville before and now I am moving my whole family there! When do I need to let HO know my new address? Is there anything else I need to do as far as PC is concerned before I leave?

Have your director put in a request for a hospitality director for you. That way, you have the support you need locally!

Huntsville is a very interesting place. My brother, The Rocket Scientist, and his family live there. (I visit there about once a year.) My SIL owns a yarn store there, the largest yarn store in northern Alabama that seems to be really popular.There's also a plethora of really good coffee shops there.

I am in Birmingham. We have a great group here, but it would be a 2 hour drive for you.
Huntsville is a great place - lots going on. Plus, you are close enough to Birmingham, Nashville, Atlanta to do short road trips.

I'm in Mobile, so about 6 hours! Welcome to ALABAMA!

I am in Ardmore, a 20 minute drive north of Huntsville. There is one director that I know of in Hsv and she doesn't deal with hospitality. Email me when your director gives you a name and I will let you know if it is her. I have had talked to a few consultants that have quit going to her meetings and ended up getting out of PC. There is 2 more directors there that I haven't heard anything negative about.
You are also welcome to come to mine, like I said it is a 20 minute drive on the north side of Hsv. I will warn you though, mine are soo scattered that there may only be 5-6 there every month. I do try and get into alot of booths to help out consultants with bookings and you are welcome to join us.
Crystal

Wow! Good luck in your move!

My sister just moved from there. Her husband's family is still there. She didn't like Alabama-she's from California-but it's a whole different lifestyle. When I visited I found it to be beautiful! She lived in Jasper.

Hey Dusty, welcome to Alabama!! I live in Florence, which is about 75 miles west of Huntsville. My sisters live there. My director is in Pulaski TN. I don't know about any directors in Huntsville. I can't even go to my directors meetings because she is about 1 hour and 1/2 from me and my husband and I only have one car, and he doesn't get off work in time for me to attend, I hate it! I hope you enjoy it here, I am originally from up North, so I can't say I Love it here, my heart is in the Northwest!! But do enjoy it, it is HOT and humid here. Luckily you will be arriving close to the end of the icky months!! Welcome!!

I grew up in Ozark which is down below Montgomery and above Dothan by the Army Base down their.

Best of luck with your move! You can change your address right on consultant's corner under "my account" at the top right-hand side of the page.

I would also recommend ordering the CD on Supply: "Move it - You won't lose it!" (#AW25) - $2. One of the upper level directors under my ED is one of the speakers, and she's moved her business several times (military family) and has been very successful consistently w/shows and recruiting. It's possible to move your business and keep it going! :)

Hope it all goes well!

sillylittlechef said:
Well, it is official we are moving to Alabama the end of August. I haven't even been to Huntsville before and now I am moving my whole family there! When do I need to let HO know my new address? Is there anything else I need to do as far as PC is concerned before I leave?

Dusty, I just remembered I forgot to ask my husband about their school systems a few months back!SORRY!!!:eek:

We just went to Huntsville for the night a few weekends ago. I LOVED it! I told Russell if I could move my family there, he could apply for a teaching job there! SO many places to shop that we would need a HUGE raise!!!

On a Talk Radio Show I listen to, the other day they were talking about the 1000s of job openings in Huntsville b/c of so many businesses coming in and how much and fast Huntsville is growing. They were trying to recruit people to apply for the jobs. If you need any info on that go to www.rickandbubba.com and they are suppose to have info in their "guest information" section. I asssuming you may be moving b/c of a job but wanted you to have this info if you need it.

WOW! You guys are awesome. I haven't been on here much lately trying to get things ready. I post about moving and everyone is right here helping me out! Thanks so much.
We are moving because of my husbands job. He is currently in the military and he's trying to get out. He has been to Iraq once already and now slated to go back in Jan. Rumor is that instead of Iraq they might go to Kosavo (sp?) Either way it is another year away from the kids and they need their daddy. So, he is taking a job who does contract work for the military on helicopters, but it doesn't require military service. So, it's great for our family. The cost of living is lower in Huntsville than here so that's great too! I am looking for a part time job just until our current house sells. With the market you never know when that will be. Even with the lower cost of living poor DH can't support two houses on his own.
I will order that CD about moving your business, and am hoping to continue at the same rate I am going now. Just 2 shows a month. When I was trying to do more than that, I felt it took too much time away from my 3 kids. (But I am a complete dork and over do everything so one show might take me 3 times longer to prepare for than most people) I love PC and really don't plan to stop doing it.
Leah-- I actually lived in Ozark for about 6 months. He worked at Fort Rucker. I loved it there. I worked for FOX 34 in Dothan. My Dh and I actually got married in Panama City and spent every single weekend there at the ocean.
DebJ-- Thanks for the email too. That meetings sounds awesome. I am not sure if I can be there, we are trying to get to Alabama to start looking for a place to live and hopefully won't be gone that weekend.
JRStephens-- No problem, I have looked online and gotten some information, but it's so confusing. They say the schools are great, but they seem so segregated. Some schools are listed as 94% African American and some are listed as 94% White. I don't want my kids at either one. I would prefer a more diverse atmosphere for them. So, we are going to rent for awhile and check out the areas and then buy when we feel comfortable that we are choosing the right area. But definitely, any advice from your DH would be great too.
Thanks again everyone. My Dh is in shut down mode and no longer is speaking:) He is so stressed about making this decision and is it right for the family... so he doesn't want to discuss anything. It's just his way of dealing with things. So it's really nice to come on here and have so many people to talk to about this excited adventure!

Hey there. I live in Hartselle and grew up in Decatur, both of which are about 30 mins. away. We go to Huntsville about once a week. It's a great place to shop if you like shopping. They've got just about anything you want. Unless you want antiques and then Hartselle is your town. Also, as far as the schools go, you can get on greatschools.net to get any info you need. I personally am a Decatur girl myself. It was a very diverse school system. About 1/2 and 1/2 on the ethniticity, but I know there are some great ones in Huntsville as well. I'm assuming that your hubby and you will be living on the arsenal? If so, I've been over there a few times. They teach some college classes out there. It was very nice when I went there. It's been a few years ago, but I remember it being nice. Anyways, good luck with the job search. You may want to get on the Huntsville Times website and look at the classified adds. Best of luck in your move and I hope you love Huntsville like I do. I could tell you a lot of things that are fun to do... They have the space and rocket center, a Botantical garden, Decatur has a water park that is amazing called Point Mallard and it's definately worth the short drive, all kinds of parks, malls, eatting places, the list could go on and on. Anyways, I hope your transition is smooth.

Related to Moving to Alabama: What to Do Before You Go

1. What is the cost of living like in Alabama?

The cost of living in Alabama is relatively low compared to other states. According to a recent study, the overall cost of living in Alabama is 12.7% lower than the national average. The cost of housing, groceries, and healthcare are all significantly lower in Alabama.

2. What are the best areas to live in Alabama?

There are many great areas to live in Alabama, it ultimately depends on your personal preferences. Some popular cities include Birmingham, Huntsville, and Mobile. These cities offer a mix of urban and suburban living, with access to amenities and job opportunities. If you prefer a more rural setting, areas like Tuscaloosa or Auburn may be a better fit.

3. What are the top industries in Alabama?

Alabama has a diverse economy, with top industries including automotive manufacturing, aerospace and defense, agriculture, and healthcare. The state is also home to several Fortune 500 companies such as Regions Financial Corporation, Vulcan Materials Company, and O'Neal Industries.

4. Do I need to obtain any special permits or licenses to move to Alabama?

If you are moving to Alabama from another state, you will need to obtain a new driver's license and vehicle registration within 30 days of establishing residency. You may also need to obtain a business license if you plan on starting a business in the state. Additionally, if you are bringing any pets with you, you will need to ensure they have the necessary vaccinations and obtain a pet license.

5. What are some fun things to do in Alabama?

Alabama has plenty of activities and attractions for people of all ages. You can explore the state's rich history and visit landmarks like the Civil Rights Trail, or enjoy outdoor activities such as hiking, fishing, and camping in one of Alabama's many state parks. The state also has a vibrant arts and culture scene, with museums, theaters, and music venues scattered throughout. And of course, you can't forget about the delicious Southern cuisine and famous sweet tea that Alabama is known for.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jcsmilez
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
3RingChef
  • smarteez2
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
chefann
  • pcsharon1