• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Mom Just Diagnosed With Breast Cancer

In summary, my mom was just diagnosed yesterday (Feb 19) with a small malignant tumor in her breast. She is going in next Tuesday to have it and some or all of her lymph nodes on the right side removed. She and her Dad and her 10 year old niece - they are her guardians) live in Ft. Collins, CO. They moved there two years ago after living in one place for almost 30 years, so her support group there isn't huge. Plus, I'm not sure if she has told the family and friends there what is happening to her. There is a possibility of 6 weeks
There are a lot of factors that go into choosing the radiation or chemo protocols. The right circumstances also dictate both, consecutively or, if you're really lucky,
rolleye0001.gif
concurrently.

One of my college chums lives close by but it seems the only time I see her is at the store. Radiation patients go to "planning" where they get tattoos and grease paint lines for targets that the technicians use for laser aiming of the radiation machine. Since my tats and lines were all around my neck, I was wearing my shirt color wide open to keep the lines intact and the ink off my collar.

After I left "planning," I went to the drugstore to get a script filled, and there was my college friend! We chatted briefly, then she pointed at my lines and said, "Someone's getting radiation!" I was stunned, but even more stunned when she started to open her blouse :eek: right there in the middle of Walgreen's, to show me her tattoos. Turns out that she's not only a breast cancer survivor, but she went to the same center and had the same oncologist!

She's now 13 years cancer free and I'm 9 years free.

Kate - just wondering how your mom is doing?

bumping...I was thinking of your mom, Kate, while putting together some HWC fundraising packs...

Janet - I missed your post last month. Thanks for asking.Diane - thanks for asking. She started chemo last week and had her worst day today. She was quite nauseous and called the cancer care center like they told her to. The gal who talked with her told her to throw up...when they gave us the intro thing they specifically said "if you are at all nauseous, we are not doing our jobs". So, I told her I was sorry and to call back and talk to someone else. Otherwise her spirits are up. I was able to go out a couple of weeks ago and spend time with her...got her first wig and did power cooking for them. I'm going back at the end of June/beginning of July. And, I'm working on 31 shows and 2000 pink products in May.

Kate - good time to bump this since I referred Diane to the thread...How is your mom right now? Did you get to visit again?Is she handling treatment better?

<h2>1. How can I support my mom after her breast cancer diagnosis?</h2><p>There are many ways you can support your mom during this difficult time. Some suggestions include offering emotional support, helping with household tasks, attending appointments with her, and researching treatment options. It's also important to listen to her and let her know you are there for her.</p><h2>2. Should I try to be there for her surgery?</h2><p>It's ultimately up to you and your mom to decide if you should be there for her surgery. If you are able to travel and it would provide her with comfort, then it may be a good idea to be there. However, if it would cause more stress for either of you, it may be best to support her from a distance.</p><h2>3. How can I help her during her recovery?</h2><p>There are many ways you can help your mom during her recovery. This can include helping with household tasks, running errands, providing emotional support, and researching support groups in her area. You can also ask her directly what she needs and how you can best support her.</p><h2>4. How can I support my mom during radiation treatment?</h2><p>Radiation treatment can be physically and emotionally taxing, so it's important to offer support during this time. This can include attending appointments with her, helping with transportation, providing meals, and offering emotional support. It's also important to encourage her to take care of herself and listen to her needs.</p><h2>5. How can I help my mom cope with a cancer diagnosis?</h2><p>Coping with a cancer diagnosis can be overwhelming for both the patient and their loved ones. Some ways you can help your mom cope include being a good listener, encouraging her to talk about her feelings, helping her stay positive, and finding ways to reduce stress. You can also suggest seeking support from a therapist or support group to help her process her emotions. Most importantly, let her know that you are there for her and that she is not alone in this journey.</p>

1. How can I support my mom after her breast cancer diagnosis?

There are many ways you can support your mom during this difficult time. Some suggestions include offering emotional support, helping with household tasks, attending appointments with her, and researching treatment options. It's also important to listen to her and let her know you are there for her.

2. Should I try to be there for her surgery?

It's ultimately up to you and your mom to decide if you should be there for her surgery. If you are able to travel and it would provide her with comfort, then it may be a good idea to be there. However, if it would cause more stress for either of you, it may be best to support her from a distance.

3. How can I help her during her recovery?

There are many ways you can help your mom during her recovery. This can include helping with household tasks, running errands, providing emotional support, and researching support groups in her area. You can also ask her directly what she needs and how you can best support her.

4. How can I support my mom during radiation treatment?

Radiation treatment can be physically and emotionally taxing, so it's important to offer support during this time. This can include attending appointments with her, helping with transportation, providing meals, and offering emotional support. It's also important to encourage her to take care of herself and listen to her needs.

5. How can I help my mom cope with a cancer diagnosis?

Coping with a cancer diagnosis can be overwhelming for both the patient and their loved ones. Some ways you can help your mom cope include being a good listener, encouraging her to talk about her feelings, helping her stay positive, and finding ways to reduce stress. You can also suggest seeking support from a therapist or support group to help her process her emotions. Most importantly, let her know that you are there for her and that she is not alone in this journey.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• wadesgirl
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
aried
  • ChefPeg
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
esavvymom
Replies