• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Molten Lava Chocolate Cake - Rice Cooker Recipe

In summary, the author attempted to make a Molten Lava Chocolate Cake using a rice cooker recipe with unclear directions that resulted in more "lava" than intended. Some people have had success with this recipe, while others have had less successful experiences. The recipe recommends using a lid and cooking for 10 minutes, but it is possible to cook for 11 minutes in a high wattage microwave. The cake can also be made in a fluted pan.
LakesideMom
I was trying out a rice cooker recipe tonight for the Molten Lava Chocolate Cake. The directions were a bit sketchy but I tried to push through. I ended up with more 'lava' than I should have - I think. Has anyone done this recipe successfully and know what to expect?

Here's the info: It is a chocolate cake mix with ingredients needed to make the cake and 1/2 jar of frosting. You mix the cake with ingredients in rice cooker. Add 1/2 jar of frosting using small scoop. Then cook in the microwave for 8-10 minutes until tester comes out clean.

Sounds easy enough, right? My first question was whether or not to put the lid on the rice cooker. I did and it seemed to come out fine. My microwave cooks hot so I did the 8 minutes and then checked it. A toothpick came out clean and the top looked great - just like a cake should look. I inverted it onto a platter and let it sit for a few minutes. That's when the lava came oozing out - lots of it! It seemed very runny and seemed more like batter than frosting. Of course it was very hot and thus may be why it was so runny. I guess I should try it again and just go the full 10 minutes to see how it comes out.

Any feedback on this would help if you've done it successfully! TIA!

I always cook this cake for at least 10 minutes. Usually 11. I usually add four medium scoops. You probably had too much frosting and uncooked batter. Try again. This is a great recipe once you get it right. It's always a huge hit at my shows! (I put the cover on.)

Could you do this in the large micro cooker? I don't have the rice cooker.

I wouldn't recommend using the large micro-cooker. The Rice Cooker has a 3 qt capacity whereas the Lg Micro-Cooker has just a 2qt capacity. When I've done a cake in the Rice Cooker, I notice that the batter expands at least to the rim of it, sometimes just above. I suppose you can give it a go, but be ready for spillover. :)

it will not work in the micro cookers..

you are not supposed to put the lid on when you do the cake...then it cannot expand as much as it needs to to cook

you also need to cook it the full 10 minutes usually...and testing it with a toothpick/cake tester will show that it is done when it is not.

Thank you so much for the info!!! I will try again!

My first attempt came out like yours. I was cooking it in my low wattage microwave and I think I did it for about 11 minutes. A knife pulled out clean, but when I inverted it, it blorped all over the platter, the counter and onto the floor. Thank goodness I didn't do it at a show without trying it first, LOL!

The second time, I did NOT use the lid and cooked it longer. Now I know that the cake begins to pull away from the sides when it is done. In a higher wattage Microwave, this might be in as little as 9 or 10 minutes. (I have done this cake successfully at a couple of shows now.) In mine, it is 13 minutes.

I let it sit for about 10 minutes before attempting to invert it, too. Now the top is cooked, the frosting oozes over the sides and it isn't such a huge amount of goo. I use about a 1/2 can of frosting too.

Try it again! It is a handy item to throw in for a lull in a show.

And you sell rice cookers!

BTW, I made it in the fluted pan, too. Same thing: when it began to pull away from the sides, it was done. I sold a fluted pan AND the SA platter because that's what I served it on. Sprinkled with powdered sugar, so sold the flour/sugar shaker too!

R

That is great - it is such a great summer time recipe. No one wants to heat up their kitchen by turning on the oven. I'm hosting a show for my sister-in-law and she is in a very hot part of AZ. I plan to use this one! I was going to ask what products to promote in this demo but you already answered my question. :) Thank you!!

Oh! One more question - what do you use to mix the ingredients? I used the nylon whisk and it seems to have left some small scratches at the bottom of my rice cooker. Do you use one of the metal whisks?

I thought I had the same problem when I did mine, but it's actually just the icing. The icing gets very liquid during the cooking, but if you look at it when it's cool (if the cake lasts that long, LOL!), you'll see that the cake is done and the icing has made kind of a hollow area on the bottom/top of the cake.I cooked mine with the lid on. At home, my microwave was too powerful and it started exploding out the top at about 5 1/2 minutes! I'll try it with the top off next time. However, I made it at work and it was perfect in 9 minutes. I let it sit a couple of minutes with the lid on until the steam stopped hissing.

LakesideMom said:
Oh! One more question - what do you use to mix the ingredients? I used the nylon whisk and it seems to have left some small scratches at the bottom of my rice cooker. Do you use one of the metal whisks?

use one of your silicone scrapers.

Second attempt - SUCCESS!!! I didn't have any more chocolate cake mix so I used a yellow mix with chocolate icing. The nice thing is - I can now see if it is undercooked cake mix vs. icing. Chocolate with chocolate was impossible to tell! I let it sit the 10 minutes after it finished in the microwave and I did leave the lid off this time. It is BEAUTIFUL! Can't wait to dig in . . .

good for you!

Your guests will love it too!

RachelNguyen said:
BTW, I made it in the fluted pan, too. Same thing: when it began to pull away from the sides, it was done. I sold a fluted pan AND the SA platter because that's what I served it on. Sprinkled with powdered sugar, so sold the flour/sugar shaker too!

R

I made this in the fluted stone tonight for the first time - - - the cake was collapsed in the center area where the frosting was. It didn't look very good, thank goodness it tasted great. Was it supposed to look like that? Did I do something wrong? Help!

Make Sure You Break All Of The Egg YolksSeems simple, right? I had made this at least a dozen times, then at one show I guess I didn't break all of the egg yolks and when I flipped it over, there were two, bit yellow "eyes" looking back at me. Luckily, the guests couldn't see them, so I flicked them off the "cake" into my trash bin. :rolleyes:

The best thing about this recipe is that it won't come out perfect, that it looks like a volcano, so just keep practicing until you feel confident.

I tried the cake in the rice cooker and it worked but was pretty messy looking. My director told me to do it in the fluted pan instead. It is more expensive so you can make more of a profit. I will probably talk about both ways to do it and let the customer decide. I did make a cake tonight in the fluted pan, but I don't think I added enough frosting so I will add more next time. You can also make a chicken in the fluted pan (there are several recipes on this website) which is a great selling point with the pan.

I have made this lots of times in the rice cooker with the lid on and had a problem only once - a very low watage old microwave.

I make the cake in the stoneware fluted pan too but I do not put the frosting in with the cake. Instead after the cake has cooled I use the microcooker to melt some canned frosting (13 seconds) and drizzle it over - sells another product ;)

Lately I have been doing the fluted pan more than the rice cooker because: the fluted pan is a higher $$ product and it also gives me the opportunity to promote other stoneware too.

Anne,

That is really funny!!! You definitely learn how to roll with the punches doing PC.

I have a question. I have made a few cakes in the rice cooker and they've come out great!!! I used the directions from the box. I was reading a thread about 123 cakes (1 cake mix, 2 cups sour cream, 3 eggs). This, apparently, is what is used for the micro cakes in the fluted pan?? Are you using this 123 recipe for the rice cooker as well, or are you using the ingredients from the back of the box???

mgressaffa said:
Anne,

That is really funny!!! You definitely learn how to roll with the punches doing PC.

I have a question. I have made a few cakes in the rice cooker and they've come out great!!! I used the directions from the box. I was reading a thread about 123 cakes (1 cake mix, 2 cups sour cream, 3 eggs). This, apparently, is what is used for the micro cakes in the fluted pan?? Are you using this 123 recipe for the rice cooker as well, or are you using the ingredients from the back of the box???

I would be interested in hearing the answer to this as well?

What ingredients do I need for the Molten Lava Chocolate Cake?

To make the Molten Lava Chocolate Cake using a rice cooker, you will need 1 box of chocolate cake mix, 1 box of instant chocolate pudding mix, 4 eggs, 1 cup of milk, ½ cup of vegetable oil, and 1 cup of chocolate chips.

Can I use a different type of cake mix for this recipe?

Yes, you can use any flavor of cake mix you prefer. However, using a chocolate cake mix will give you the traditional molten lava chocolate cake flavor.

Do I need to grease the rice cooker before adding the cake batter?

Yes, it is recommended to lightly grease the rice cooker with cooking spray or butter before adding the cake batter. This will make it easier to remove the cake once it is cooked.

How long should I cook the Molten Lava Chocolate Cake in the rice cooker?

The cooking time may vary depending on your rice cooker. Generally, it takes about 30-40 minutes on the regular white rice setting. You can check if the cake is done by inserting a toothpick into the center - if it comes out clean, the cake is ready.

Can I add any toppings to the Molten Lava Chocolate Cake?

Yes, you can add toppings such as whipped cream, ice cream, or fresh berries after the cake has been cooked and cooled. These toppings will add extra flavor and texture to your cake.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• marion foucher
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Meigs
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
Meigs
  • nickywsn