• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Missing Mom's Beef Stew Recipe~

In summary, Teresa lost her mom's beef stew recipe and is missing her. She is also going through a lot of grief with her family members.
whiteyteresa
I have lost the book that I kept my mom's famous beef stew recipe in and right now I am missing her and that beef stew. A lot of things has been happening around here and some comfy foods sounds good right now.

Does anyone have a good old mom's homemade Beef Stew recipe? I could use one right now.

Thanks in advance.

Mom's are the best and love yours while you can because when she is gone, there is no second chances

To my mom

I miss you very much

Love, Teresa

~

Aww.... no recipe, but your post made me cry.

My dad's health is going down, I moved in with him a year ago, my marriage is falling apart, my daughter is having minor health problems, my business was great but now the host are canceling - which these host kept my mind off of everything, my nephew left for Iraq last Friday morning - he will be turning 21 years old on November 16, and now for some reason, all I can think of is my mom, she died 4 years ago last month. It seems that when I hear something or see something on TV, I want to pick up the phone and call her. I know that I only need to close my eyes and say a prayer but the tears keep coming - just like right now - to those that has loss their mom's - when does it stop hurting so much and when do you stop crying. I wasn't always the best daughter but she was always the best mom. So sorry to spill things on here but I didn't know where else to turn right now. So people in my family relativesare going through so much too right now so I can't turn to them. I may end up deleting this after I stop crying and start feeling better. Thanks for letting me post this.

~

(((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))

I don't know what I would do without my mom!

Teresa, I would love to be able to tell you that it is going to stop hurting soon but I don't want to lie to you...my dad passed away 6 1/2 years ago and I experience the same things...I think I wish I could tell my dad about this...I have a neice who is about 16 months old and I know that he would just love her to peices and it makes me sad to see her and think that she will never no such a wonderful man as him...Just know that even though you feel as if you might not have been the greatest daughter your mom still loved you with all of her heart. Now I have to stop typing because I am going to start crying for you and I am at work right now.

Teresa,
My mom just came thru a 3 hour surgery to remove a goiter. They just called from the hospital and it was the size of a grapefruit. She will be 82 this month and it was hard not being there, but I couldn't juggle my schedule enough to get to Iowa.

This is my mom's recipe nothing I loved better than a good crockpot of this and her homemade bread.

3 pounds stew meat (I usually just use a roast cut up)

Coat meat with flour seasoned with fresh pepper and seasoning salt
saute in a little oil, with 2 lg onions chunked and fresh crushed garlic.
Cook until it browns dump in 2 tsp worcestershire and 1 tablespoon kitchen bouquet Add 1 can beef broth & 1 can tomato paste
Stir in 3 28 oz cans of tomato sauce heat until bubbly.
Pour over carrot pieces and cubed potatoes.
Cook in a crockpot or oven
you can add frozen peas or mushrooms if your family likes it.

Teresa

Oh, Teresa ... I'm so sorry that your mom isn't here to comfort you. With all of the other stuff going on, it is no mystery why she is on your mind so much. I've said a prayer for you today and send tons of cyberhugs your way.

Stew around here isn't anything so special, but what my mom taught me was to coat my meat in seasoned flour, brown it in butter - add onion here if you like onion in it - garlic, too - then add a couple of cans of beef broth (I use the seasoned) and water until it looks like enough liquid in the pan! Let the meat simmer for 2-3 hours if possible. Then add veggies like potatoes, carrots, turnips - fresh are best, but Veg-All works if you drain it well. Cook until the veggies of choice are tender, thicken with a little flour (that's been mixed with cold water until smooth - I use about 3 tbs flour to about 1/2 cup water). Add a smidge of Kitchen Bouquet, more salt and pepper if needed. Serve with warm dinner rolls or bread.

I have stew meat in the freezer, but I'm making a roast tonight ...

Hang in there, sweetie. If it weren't for these low valleys, we'd never even realize when we are standing on the peaks, let alone appreciate the view!

Last edited:
Thank you all

I will try these recipes

Again, I am sorry to bug you all about my problem

You all are so nice

Thanks again.

Teresa - I hope your mother is fine and for you to see her soon.

~

whiteyteresa said:
Thank you all

I will try these recipes

Again, I am sorry to bug you all about my problem

You all are so nice

Thanks again.

Teresa - I hope your mother is fine and for you to see her soon.

~

Am I missing something...I thought that that was what we are all here for...to help each other with our businesses and life in general...that is what I have gathered from the month that I have been on here...(sorry for the sarcasm) My point is don't apoligize if we didn't want to know about it then we wouldn't read it. :D I hope things start straightening up for you.

Teresa
How was dinner?
Teresa

I am sorry Teresa.... sending big ((((((HUGS)))))) your way!!! I will look when I get home from work what my mom's stew recipe is...... I will say a few extra prayers your way!

Thanks for sharing everyone and today is a better day, Lucy was off school today for parent conference and it was nice to have her around.

Thanks Teresa, I tried your recipe except for the Kitchen bouquet, I couldn't find that at the market. But it did taste almost like my moms. She adds something else and as soon as I find that book I will let you know.

Thanks again Teresa

I believe between the Hugs and Prayers, it helped me to feel closer to her.

Thanks everyone

Teresa
~

Sorry about your mom, Teresa. I hope you continue to cherish your fond memories of her.As for beef stew, I don't have a recipe, so much as a series of guidelines and techniques. My whole extended family has raved about it, so I must have been doing something right. :)For the beef, make sure you use a flavorful cut with lots of connective tissue. In other words, chuck is better than round.Brown the beef really, really, really well in oil. This step is essential because it sets up a lot of flavor and all of the color in your final stew. You want to make sure the meat is not crowded, so you may have to work in batches. Brown the meat on all sides until it is a dark brown color.Add stock (salted and seasoned to taste), a bunch of bay leaves, and chopped or sliced onions, bring to a boil, then lower heat to a bare simmer. Continue simmering, covered, for about 3 hours.Your meat should be falling apart at this point. Very gently fish it out, let it cool, and then put it in the freezer to chill and firm it up. (This wasn't my original idea, but was loosely inspired by a recent episode of Good Eats. I tried it, and it works very well.)Add potatoes and carrots (carrots should be cut smaller than potatoes) to pot and simmer for half an hour (less if they're cut finely), until almost done. Adjust seasoning as needed. Then add your chilled cooked beef, sliced fresh mushrooms, and fresh or frozen peas, and simmer until done (probably another 15 minutes).If your potatoes are not starchy enough, you will need to thicken your stew. I like arrowroot or corn starch -- make it into a slurry by adding one part starch to two parts water or broth (V8 can be good too). Boil gently for about 5-10 minutes after adding your starch slurry.Enjoy!

I lost my mom 4 years ago and it still hurts tremendously. I've missed a lot of my mom's recipes and I learned to start writing my recipes down for myself and my kids, because so many of my mom's famous dishes were stored in her memory and not on paper - it hurts to know how many I can't re-create myself :(

*hugs* to you teresa

Carla

I know what you mean about the recipes being stored in memory. My mom was 1 of 11 kids and when there dad died two of my aunts - my mom older sisters had to guit school and help out at home. They worked beside there mother, making the meal by watching her. NO recipe. As I was growing up, my mom cooked mostly box meals because she wasn't there to learn the recipes like the rest of them. Don't get me wrong, she had make alot of her own recipes up too, but those old time recipes would be nice to have been written down. My one aunt - my daughter Lucy is named after - never really had recipes written down until one day my sister wanted her potato salad recipe, at one point while my aunt was making it in front of my sister and my sister was trying to measure the ingredients, my aunt said 'oh, shi*', well my sister put that on the recipe card and whenever she makes the potato salad she will say that when she gets to that part. It is always funny (well at least to us). My aunt, as far as I knew, never made anything from the box except for cake mixes, icing was homemade. She died Jan 1990.

Thanks for sharing.

Also Carla, I lost my mom on September 5, 2003. Four years ago.

~

Related to Missing Mom's Beef Stew Recipe~

1. What are the key ingredients for Missing Mom's Beef Stew Recipe?

The key ingredients for Missing Mom's Beef Stew Recipe are beef, potatoes, carrots, onions, celery, beef broth, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and a variety of herbs and spices.

2. Can I use a slow cooker for this recipe?

Yes, Missing Mom's Beef Stew Recipe can be made in a slow cooker. Simply follow the instructions for browning the beef and sautéing the vegetables before transferring everything to the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-6 hours.

3. How do I make this recipe gluten-free?

To make Missing Mom's Beef Stew Recipe gluten-free, use a gluten-free beef broth and Worcestershire sauce, and be sure to check the labels of all other ingredients for any hidden sources of gluten.

4. Can I substitute the beef for another protein?

Yes, if you prefer, you can substitute the beef for another protein such as chicken or pork. Adjust cooking times accordingly.

5. How long will this beef stew keep in the fridge?

Missing Mom's Beef Stew Recipe can be stored in the fridge for 3-4 days. It can also be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge before reheating on the stovetop or in the microwave.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• rennea
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
rlombas
  • jenniferlynne
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • kcjodih