• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Making the Most of My First Holiday Season as a Direct Seller

In summary, the author has started their business in June, and they are already struggling due to overspending. They want to make the most of their holiday season, but they are concerned about whether it is worth it to spend more money on incentives to try to get bookings and orders. They feel like they have a scarlet DS on their chest in most of the eyes of their family, who usually are very supportive, because they have started something new. They suggest that hosts try to be selective in what they spend money on, and also suggests that if a month is particularly busy, a consultant can provide ingredients or help
princessmeshelle
ok, i started in june. this is my first holiday season and i want to make the most of it as well as the SAT. i just put in my kit enhancement order and i finally got around logging in my commission into P3 and out of curiosity i had it make up the income and expense report. to make this as short as possible, i have spent more than i have made already there is more that i would like to get from the supply order, like door prizes. i am planning a black friday sale, and the 12 days of chrustmas competition looked like fun. i know if coach well, i should make the money back on incentives, but is it worth it? i want to make money and so far i haven't. and for me my 7 week old is not an excuse to relax on my biz. i think PC offers great incentives for hosts, but with my list of 100, it doesn't seem to be enough. i feel like i have a big scarlet DS on my chest in most of their eyes. i mean, my family (usually VERY supportive) didn't even bother to do the usual pat on the back "good for you" responses they would normally give for ''hey i started something new''. anyway,let me stay positive, i have then next 4 weekends booked solid. (one is our retreat:D) i need to start booking up the rest of nov, dec,and jan. so, is it worth it to come out of pocket more for extra incentives to try to get those bookings and orders. if i hadn't taken a hard look and income vs expense i wouldn't be asking, i would be spending. any words of advice to get me back on track?

ps- sorry it was so long!:)

I have rarely given booking incentives but that is me. I know plenty of peole do it. I do not feel comfortable spending a lot of $ to get bookings. I have done a monthly competition before where I gave a prize to the top show for that month. That way you have host wokring off each other to beat the other and you are only out one prize.

I give my business to God and depend on Him to provide, so, I guess you could say He is my booking incentive.

I tell my consultants never to spend money until they make money. You have to treat it like a business and pay yourself or you won't make money. It's very easy to justify spending it all on more products. I once heard a rule of thumb to pay yourself 50% and reinvest the other 50% of your income. That's what I do and it keeps everyone happy here. :)ETA: I rarely give booking incentives either. Our host benefits and fast, easy, and affordable recipes are incentive enough.

I agree with Deb. Solid host coaching and providing a great show are the best things you can give your host. PC is so incredibly generous with our hosts. :)

My thoughts are if you are buying products you personally want, that's fine. Otherwise, be selective in how you invest back into your business. The trifle bowl and DCB provide a great return. So do several other products.

As for doorprizes, keep it simple. I know it sounds cheap, but I generally give away the citrus peeler. I get genuinely excited about it...not because it's a citrus peeler, but because it's great for separating cakes from the sides of cakes pans and it's the perfect do-hickey for various tasks when working with the mini-muffin pan. I love that product. I also stock up on the SBs. I use the current one as a gift for the host and previous ones as doorprizes.

For door prizes I give a Season's Best, although the citrus peeler is CHEAPER and is also a great tool...

I don't try to spend too much money either, unless it is on supplies and then I usually wait till the last minute to order! LOL

The MOST I ever spend on my business if for conference, and that has been so helpful that the money spent out is well worth it, but I do agree, don't buy products that you don't want or aren't going to use, don't put too much into raffle prizes or door prizes for events...this is supposed to be for YOU to make money...the benefits from PC are so great you really shouldn't have to offer anything. Now, of course, if there is a month that you NEED filled, offer to do something like provide ingrendients or something, but I'd make the few and far between.

A thought I just had (is that an Ah-ha moment?) is that if we have to "bribe" people with incentives to book, what does that say about the company we represent and their hostess benefits? I think it de-values the company we represent, and their wonderful benefits.

I only give SBRC to my host at their show. For door-prizes I give old SBRC's, Quikut Paring Knife, Twixit samples (I make packs of 3 - s,m,l - and put them in a snack size zip bag.) When I have hosts that really work to have a good show I sometimes add something to their order - usually a spice or seasoning.

great input everyone, really loved reading this thread it will help me out with my future bookings/shows.

THANKS!!!

I keep drawings/door prize gifts on the inexpensive side, as well. I use twixits, pairing knives, small bamboo spoons (open packet), SB's, and recently I've found some recipe card sets at Michael's for $1, which I think is a nice complement to PC.I've only been in the business for 1.5 years, and initially used about 50% of my income to "reinvest" in my business, but now I have so much PC I don't need to do that much anymore. People really do buy what you show them at sales, so make sure you get a few of the more expensive items each season to show and sell.

Oh, twix-its and paring knifes are great too! I get exicted about both of them and share why:

Twix-it: "Bet you think all twix-its are the same; not true! I've been using these on my brown sugar for two years and love them, because the sugar NEVER hardens."

Quik-Cut Knives: "These are phenomenal and stay sharp for years! And when they do dull a little, I have the perfect use for them. I keep a couple just for opening boxes...so DH doesn't go and grab a dinner knife or one of my forged cutlery knives."

Afterwards, I always get add-on orders for these. :)

legacypc46 said:
Oh, twix-its and paring knifes are great too! I get exicted about both of them and share why:

Twix-it: "Bet you think all twix-its are the same; not true! I've been using these on my brown sugar for two years and love them, because the sugar NEVER hardens."

Quik-Cut Knives: "These are phenomenal and stay sharp for years! And when they do dull a little, I have the perfect use for them. I keep a couple just for opening boxes...so DH doesn't go and grab a dinner knife or one of my forged cutlery knives."

Afterwards, I always get add-on orders for these. :)

HEY! My brown sugar doesn't harden either! How come the twix its have to do with that? I've had my brown sugar for EONS...and never had a prob w/ it!

I use the small Twix-it for my strings on the tea bags, when I make Sun tea- Just clip them all in, before putting in jar of water, and I just have to pull out the twix-it, not fish for all of the strings.

My wife would love ya'll if she read this, because I usually spend more than I make. It has alot to do with only doing about two shows a month and giving away my commision if it's a fundraiser that I like.

What are some tips for managing my time during the busy holiday season as a direct seller?

1. Plan ahead: Create a schedule for your holiday events and parties, as well as your work obligations. This will help you stay organized and prioritize your time.

2. Utilize technology: Use social media and email to reach out to potential customers and promote your products. This can save you time and reach a larger audience.

3. Delegate tasks: Don't be afraid to ask for help from friends or family members. They can assist with packaging, delivering orders, or even hosting parties for you.

4. Stay organized: Keep track of your inventory, orders, and expenses to avoid any last-minute stress. This will also help you plan ahead for future holiday seasons.

5. Take breaks: Don't forget to take breaks and relax during the busy holiday season. Self-care is important for maintaining your energy and enthusiasm as a direct seller.

How can I stand out from other direct sellers during the holiday season?

1. Offer unique products: Consider offering limited edition or holiday-themed products that are exclusive to your direct selling business.

2. Provide exceptional customer service: Go above and beyond for your customers by offering personalized gift wrapping, quick responses to inquiries, and timely delivery of orders.

3. Host themed parties: Plan fun and festive holiday parties for your customers that showcase your products in a unique and creative way.

4. Collaborate with other direct sellers: Partner with other direct sellers to offer bundle deals or cross-promote each other's products.

5. Show your appreciation: Send handwritten thank you notes or small gifts to your loyal customers to show them how much you appreciate their support during the holiday season.

How can I effectively market my products during the holiday season?

1. Utilize social media: Take advantage of popular social media platforms to promote your products and reach a wider audience.

2. Offer deals and promotions: Consider offering discounts, free shipping, or bundle deals to entice customers to purchase your products during the holiday season.

3. Attend local holiday events: Set up a booth at holiday markets or fairs in your community to showcase your products and reach potential customers.

4. Create holiday-themed content: Use festive graphics and language in your marketing materials to catch the attention of holiday shoppers.

5. Engage with your audience: Interact with your customers on social media, respond to comments and messages, and ask for their feedback. This will help build a relationship and loyalty with your customers.

How can I balance my direct selling business with my personal holiday responsibilities?

1. Prioritize: Make a list of your personal holiday responsibilities and prioritize them. Focus on the most important tasks first and delegate or postpone others if necessary.

2. Set boundaries: It's important to set boundaries and communicate with friends and family about your availability and commitments as a direct seller during the holiday season.

3. Use downtime effectively: Use any downtime during holiday gatherings or events to promote your products or follow up with potential customers.

4. Take advantage of online tools: Use online tools and resources to streamline your business and save time, such as scheduling social media posts or using online invoicing systems.

5. Don't be afraid to say no: It's okay to decline invitations or commitments that may interfere with your direct selling business during the busy holiday season. Remember to prioritize your business and personal responsibilities.

How can I prepare my business for the post-holiday season?

1. Plan for sales and promotions: Consider offering sales or promotions for customers to take advantage of after the holiday rush.

2. Evaluate your inventory: Take inventory of your products and determine what items may need to be restocked or discontinued for the new year.

3. Reach out to potential hosts: Use the new year as an opportunity to reach out to potential hosts for future parties and events.

4. Thank your customers: Show appreciation to your customers by sending thank you notes or offering exclusive discounts for their continued support.

5. Reflect and set goals: Take time to reflect on your business's performance during the holiday season and set goals for the upcoming year. This will help you stay motivated and focused on growing your business.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
pampered1224
  • cmcchef
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
lesliec
  • lisasfuncooking
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies