• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Boost Your Sales with the 30-Second Rule: Tips for Holiday Shopping Success

great post and reminder!This is a great article. I will make sure to keep this in mind at all of my shows from now on. The tactic of getting the products in the customers hands is a great way to increase sales.
esavvymom
Staff member
I found this article in a woman's magazine this month and it was relating to saving money on the holiday shopping....but this one particular item stood out to me as a way to INCREASE our sales with PC.
Know the 30-second rule!You're more than twice as likely to purchase an item if you touch it for more than 30 seconds, even if you're not thrilled with it! Why? Touching something makes you subconsciously develop an emotional attachment to it - and the longer you touch it, the more you want it. The proof? Study volunteers were asked to bid on a mug at an auction: Some folks held it in their hand for 30 seconds, while others were told not to touch it at all. During the auction, the ones who held it often bid twice as much as it was worth - and sometimes offered three times the retail value!
What I took from that- GET THOSE PRODUCTS in the customer's HANDS! If you can't get them using them in an interactive show, then pass them around as they sit on the couch! *haha - as most of my guests seem to like to do! Going to work on that this year.* But either way - if they won't use them, pass them around. Hopefully, it works! Happy New Year!

Great post..I will make sure to keep this in mind at all of my shows from now on.

Definitely worth a shot & doesn't cost anything to try, right? ;)

I've found that the customers who DO try the items, or ask me about something (and then I give it to them to hold while explaining it to them) are FAR more likely to purchase. (-: Great tip and wonderful reminder! Thanks!

makes total sense!

Just a question out of curiosity...You may remember that a consultant told a story on here about how she was explaining the UM, and was explaining that without the guard, it wouldn't slice. She had an accident, and sliced her fingers as she described this. If I am showing my guests the UM... and they're absentmindedly doing something like this consultant did... who is liable to the injury to the guest? That is precisely what holds me back from letting people use some of my tools. I do give a good warning about how to use items safely, but, let's face it, people can be careless sometimes, especially in a group or in a party atmosphere.I apologize for taking this a bit off track... I think generally it's awesome to get the items in people's hands and I appreciate the "science" behind why it works!

magentablue said:
Just a question out of curiosity...

You may remember that a consultant told a story on here about how she was explaining the UM, and was explaining that without the guard, it wouldn't slice. She had an accident, and sliced her fingers as she described this.

If I am showing my guests the UM... and they're absentmindedly doing something like this consultant did... who is liable to the injury to the guest? That is precisely what holds me back from letting people use some of my tools. I do give a good warning about how to use items safely, but, let's face it, people can be careless sometimes, especially in a group or in a party atmosphere.

I apologize for taking this a bit off track... I think generally it's awesome to get the items in people's hands and I appreciate the "science" behind why it works!

WOW. I do this all the time @ my shows & have never cut myself. Guess I'll have to re-consider.

Re: your ? I'm not for sure, but I think our liability insurance we carry would cover any injuries. I usually don't pass around sharp objects or at least tell them (with the pineapple wedger for example) don't put your fingers on the bottom of this it will cut you!

esavvymom said:
I found this article in a woman's magazine this month and it was relating to saving money on the holiday shopping....but this one particular item stood out to me as a way to INCREASE our sales with PC.

What I took from that- GET THOSE PRODUCTS in the customer's HANDS! If you can't get them using them in an interactive show, then pass them around as they sit on the couch! *haha - as most of my guests seem to like to do! Going to work on that this year.* But either way - if they won't use them, pass them around. Hopefully, it works!

Happy New Year!

LIKE> LIKE> LIKE.
Thanks for sharing!

magentablue said:

You may remember that a consultant told a story on here about how she was explaining the UM, and was explaining that without the guard, it wouldn't slice. She had an accident, and sliced her fingers as she described this.

If I am showing my guests the UM... and they're absentmindedly doing something like this consultant did... who is liable to the injury to the guest? That is precisely what holds me back from letting people use some of my tools. I do give a good warning about how to use items safely, but, let's face it, people can be careless sometimes, especially in a group or in a party atmosphere.

I apologize for taking this a bit off track... I think generally it's awesome to get the items in people's hands and I appreciate the "science" behind why it works!

UGGH!! :eek: That was ME! I still have no feeling in the tip of my finger! :D I would be cautious about which items you pass around most likely. Like- I don't know if I'd pass around a Forged Cutlery item for someone to drop (I heard of a woman who dropped her santoku and instinctively reacted to catch it- and stabbed herself in her stomach)
Back to the UM though....IF you were to pass it around, show them how they can see the blade from the BOTTOM while sliding the holder/guard over the top. :D But there are still plenty of OTHER items we CAN pass around, and then just have a cutting station they can try out the others- if you so choose.

In a Personal Sales class I took in College, one of the tips I remember is that if the customer does not touch the product, you have to work harder to sell it. If you can get it in their hands (or behind the wheel) 3/4 of the sales pitch is done.

Just jumping in here .... I play the left right game withthe garlic press, a bamboo spoon, 1 seasoning. I always sell all of these items to all my guests, even if they already have them. Touching them does work.

magentablue said:

Isn't this the reason we are charged the $2 a month for insurance from Pampered Chef?

Amyskitchen2 said:
Just jumping in here .... I play the left right game withthe garlic press, a bamboo spoon, 1 seasoning. I always sell all of these items to all my guests, even if they already have them. Touching them does work.

Awesome idea! Do you hand them out as the prizes?

akrebecca said:
Awesome idea! Do you hand them out as the prizes?

No I want them to purchase these items so they get to pick a prize out of my basket (SBs, mini whipper, Twixits,etc...) And let me tellyou that mini whipper is always a huge hit!

I learned to pass things around as well. Pass just a few of my favorite things like the Quickstir. The Meat Tenderizer...And at the end of the night, tell them they are welcome to come up and see and touch anything they want.

I do totally interactive shows and it works great!! I have hit my year anniversary in November and I have not had any issues with any of the tools. With the knives, I always make sure I mention how sharp they are and to be careful. Plus, I make sure we are on a sturdy surface and I keep a watchful eye on how they are using the product. Touching the products really work. Thanks for the article.

Karen Chisholm

I noticed too that when I do have guests cooking and using tools, they tend to buy those tools. I think I need to start passing more items especially since i too do not get many volunteers. If I get them into the hands of people who are just sitting, then maybe the "gushing" I do about a product will make more sense to them. Thanks Bobbi!

What is the 30-Second Rule?

The 30-Second Rule is a food safety guideline that recommends discarding any food that has been dropped on the floor and left there for more than 30 seconds. This is to prevent the spread of bacteria and potential foodborne illnesses.

Why is the 30-Second Rule important?

The 30-Second Rule is important because it helps to prevent the consumption of potentially contaminated food. Bacteria can transfer from the floor to food within seconds, and can cause food poisoning if ingested.

Does the 30-Second Rule apply to all types of food?

Yes, the 30-Second Rule applies to all types of food, including dry and wet foods. Even if the food is wrapped or packaged, it can still be contaminated by bacteria on the floor.

Can I still follow the 30-Second Rule if I have a pet?

Yes, you can still follow the 30-Second Rule if you have a pet. It is important to keep pets away from the area where food is being prepared and to clean any surfaces that may have come into contact with the pet before continuing to handle food.

Are there any exceptions to the 30-Second Rule?

The 30-Second Rule is a general guideline for food safety, but there are a few exceptions. If you are in a controlled environment, such as a laboratory, the 30-Second Rule may not apply. Additionally, if you are at home and drop food on a clean surface, such as a kitchen counter, the 30-Second Rule may not apply. However, it is always best to err on the side of caution and discard any food that has come into contact with the floor.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Laurenncraigory
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
Wildfire
Replies