• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Laptop for Business: Recommendations & Must-Haves

I'm not sure if you can take it to get fixed though.No, you can't take it to get fixed. If something goes wrong, you need to take it to the store where you bought it, or to the manufacturer.
chrpangel
I'm looking into getting a laptop primarily for my business (and other stuff too but mainly for biz. What do you guys have that you recommend? Is there one that's better than the others? What is a must have for the notebook?

As much RAM as you can afford!

Larger screens are nice, especially if you like to have a lot of things open at once, but remember that the bigger the computer, the heavier it is. And even 1 additional pound makes a huge difference toting it around.

Thanks ANN!

Minimum 2 gig's of RAm especialy if you are going to run Vista. Like Ann Said if you can afford more get it.

Make sure to go to the comp stores and actually try them out. Especially if you are thinking of going for a smaller model.

As far as brands.....I just saw a spot on The Today Show, and it was about "generics" vs. "name brands" w/ Electronics - including Laptops. According to the report, brand is really not that big of deal. They talked specifically about Acer (more a generic) vs Bigger Name Brands, and said that you could save a couple hundred dollars by purchasing the Acer, and you would be getting pretty much the same computer - it seems that they actually are the manufacturer of computers for some of the Brand Names.

My bias is well-known, but I recommend Macs to everyone. They're easy to use and less prone to viruses than Windows machines. However, the hardware is more expensive (although they come loaded with all sorts of great software from Apple), and you will need to get special software and jump through some hoops to get PP/P3 to run. (I just got a Mac notebook to replace the Toshiba I'd been using for 4 years. I LOVE it! Thanks, DH!)

I don't suggest getting a Dell. If you have a local computer store (not necessarily the big stores), that's the best. They have complete knowledge of computers, vs just selling off the shelf. They'll also be sure to make sure you have what you need. Dell makes it so that if you want to update/change things later, it's VERY hard to! My dad fixes computers and runs into that when people need more memory. There aren't always enough slots or have limits.

I have an Acer and am very happy with it.

Jules711 said:
I have an Acer and am very happy with it.

After watching that Today Show report....I'm seriously thinking of getting one. I have LOVED my Sony Vaio - but it's old, and only has so much memory (Even with adding memory) and I'm not going to be able to run P3 quickly until I upgrade.

Don't get aDell. My boyfriend bought me a Inspiron two years ago this October. I JUST found out it was recalled. It gets REALLY hot REALLY fast. My son likes playing games on it and I wont let him put it on his lap because it heats up fast....

lol and we were thinking of getting a dell!

I think they've fixed it......but lets say you buy a laptop at BestBuy...you can take it back there to get it fixed. If you buy a Dell, you're going through them. You have NO other choice. That will be on my wish list someday...maybe Christmas. I have the bigger screen which is AWESOME. But if you're lugging it to shows on top of the rest of your stuff, it gets cumbersome. Its quite heavy but mine is two years old. Please let me know what you end up with and what sold you on it!

That's what the silicone hot pad/trivet is for - a laptop pad!

Too funny.......you are a vet, arent you?!

Denarella said:
....you are a vet, arent you?!
Me? No, I'm a professional nerd. I'm a mainframe programmer by day, PC consultant by night!

lol! ChefAnn you are too funny! We have a dell desktop. We've had it for four years. It keeps having parties I'm not invited too and shuts down. When I reboot it said it shut down for a thermal event. I'm thinkin that's one hot party! I don't like the fact that I can only work with dell. I just went and got my ink filled at walgreens (10 for black 15 for color) and while it prints, my printer is still reading ink low! I was looking for a dell b/c we have an account with them. Drats. so lots of memory and trivets for my lap!

I love my dell. Mine does get warm but I got a $25 fan to sit it on at home and it's great. My DH is a computer geek so I never need to worry about customer service.

chrpangel said:
lol! ChefAnn you are too funny! We have a dell desktop. We've had it for four years. It keeps having parties I'm not invited too and shuts down. When I reboot it said it shut down for a thermal event. I'm thinkin that's one hot party! I don't like the fact that I can only work with dell. I just went and got my ink filled at walgreens (10 for black 15 for color) and while it prints, my printer is still reading ink low! I was looking for a dell b/c we have an account with them. Drats. so lots of memory and trivets for my lap!
There's a thing called a "coolpad" that you can get, although it's for using a laptop on a desk, instead of on your lap. It raises the back of the computer an inch or so, which a) angles the keyboard so it's more like a standard desktop computer keyboard; and b) allows more air to circulate through the ventilation ports, keeping the computer cooler. If you're using your computer on your lap, make sure your clothes (or in my case, my chubby legs) aren't blocking any of the vents.

We have a Dell Desktopand I absolutely LOVE that.....Printer/scanner thingy is awesome too....(Im a technical wizard as you can see)

Doesnt your Dell get hot when you take it to shows or does your fan go with you? Must be nice to have connections, Beth...

I really never thought of taking it to shows. But that's a great idea. We have our desktop in the kitchen on that built in desk. This way we can see what the kids (10,11,13) are doing on the computer/internet. I'd like the laptop so I can actually use it in other rooms of the house and not be stuck in the kitchen. I too have vent blocker legs! lol. So does anyone LIKE the Dell laptops?

On the reverse... I have a Dell XPS Laptop and I looooove it. I also worked for several years in the IT deaprtment of my old company and that is all we have used for the last 8 years. My XPS reliable, lightweight, fast and . XPS machines are made for higher end gaming/aphics based work so they tend to havehave more ram, faster processing and more efficient thermal intake/output. Also -- XPS machines have enchanced tech support as well.

In my many years of dealing with tech support from Dell -- they outsource a lot of it, but if that's not a problem for you and you're patient to listen to someone with an accent they have been VERY helpful and thorough. Many people complain about the accent, but most of those people have their mind made up about the help they are going to recieve before they even attempt to listen with patience and an open mind.

If I had to do it all over again, I would stick with my dell -- no doubt in my mind!

Good luck -- you're going to love Laptop land :)

so go for xps vs insperon right?

After tons of questions, lots of window shopping, etc I finally bought a laptop - primarily as a gift to my daughter but she's sweet enough to let me have it for shows! It is an Hp paviliion. We all really love it so far. Before this, we only had 1 desktop in the house for 4 of us, well really 3, my husband won't touch the thing!

Its nice having something portable. My daughter is going into 9th grade and my son into 6th so, it will definitely get used between the 3 of us.

I worked with HO tech support last night to correct the vista problem for Pampered Partner. I asked him about MAC's and he told me that there will be a time in the future that home office has a Mac version for Pampered Partner...without having the special software.

Melinda

melindag said:
I worked with HO tech support last night to correct the vista problem for Pampered Partner. I asked him about MAC's and he told me that there will be a time in the future that home office has a Mac version for Pampered Partner...without having the special software.
YAY! The tech guy I spoke to at Conference mentioned that, too.

chrpangel said:
so go for xps vs insperon right?

Absolutely. :) It's a little more pricey but a much higher end machine.

OOH -- I would also steer away from a laptop smaller than 14 inches -- I had a mini Sony Vaio which was a nice machine (but not worth the extra $$ paid for it comparitively speaking) at my job for when I would travel. While it was somewhat lighter, the keyboard feels soooo crammed and it really slowed my productivity down greatly.

It's nice to hear that my Dell laptop isn't the only one that has wild parties and shuts itself down! Well, kinda nice...I'm not alone, but I wish it wouldn't do it! I'll have to get one of those proper-upper things! (Can you tell how technical I am!?!) Maybe that will help.

jenwallace said:
It's nice to hear that my Dell laptop isn't the only one that has wild parties and shuts itself down! Well, kinda nice...I'm not alone, but I wish it wouldn't do it! I'll have to get one of those proper-upper things! (Can you tell how technical I am!?!) Maybe that will help.
The one I have rotates, so the whole computer swivels. But you can make one by propping the back (hinge side) of the laptop up on thread spools.

Denarella said:
and I absolutely LOVE that.....Printer/scanner thingy is awesome too....(Im a technical wizard as you can see)

Doesnt your Dell get hot when you take it to shows or does your fan go with you? Must be nice to have connections, Beth...
No I don't take the fan to shows. It's only on for an hour or so and doesn't heat up in that time. The fan is thin and light weight but not necessary for such short times.

I know I'm lucky but it can be expensive - he always needs all those bells and whistles! Actually I married him because he knew how to turn on the computer I had purchased. [What was it called?? It was an early 80's computer, among the first - not windows not mac... - come on Ann - you know!]

A TRS-80?
Commodore 64?
Apple II?

a *gasp* Lisa?!?!?

My toshiba shuts the computer down 1-20 times a day. Its out of warranty and I can't imagine going without a computer for over 3 weeks while it is in for service so I just keep hoping we can replace it, then I'll get it fixed, and it would become our backup machine. Everytime we think we are going to be able to replace it we get hit with some unexpected $2k+ emergency repair on the house. :(

chefann said:
A TRS-80?
Commodore 64?
Apple II?

a *gasp* Lisa?!?!?
Commodore 64! I knew you'd know! What a piece of junk but how did I know?! Craig just came into my life a couple months too late to save me from buying it. - and I really could not make it work (turn it on!)!! LOL

tlennhoff said:
My toshiba shuts the computer down 1-20 times a day. Its out of warranty and I can't imagine going without a computer for over 3 weeks while it is in for service so I just keep hoping we can replace it, then I'll get it fixed, and it would become our backup machine. Everytime we think we are going to be able to replace it we get hit with some unexpected $2k+ emergency repair on the house. :(

I'm right there with you! lol

I have a Dell laptop which has had some issues but I have ordered another one. It was supposed to ship Monday but the other day I looked and it is now this coming MOnday. I can't wait. Mine at home is having issues of not getting a good connection to charge. (have to admit that the account was part of the reason why I went with them again too though)

I work at a very large company and they go Dell all the way.

My mom also has a Dell and she has had it for 5 or 6 years. It is still working fine for her. She loves it.

Related to Laptop for Business: Recommendations & Must-Haves

1. What do you recommend for a laptop primarily used for business?

At Pampered Chef, we recommend our Lenovo ThinkPad series for business use. These laptops are known for their durability, long battery life, and powerful performance.

2. Is there one laptop that stands out as better than the others?

While all of our laptops are high-quality and suitable for business use, the Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon is our top pick. It offers a lightweight design, excellent battery life, and advanced security features.

3. What is a must-have feature for a business laptop?

A must-have feature for a business laptop is a strong processor, such as an Intel Core i5 or i7. This will ensure smooth and efficient performance for tasks like multitasking, video conferencing, and data analysis.

4. Are there any additional features or accessories that are recommended?

We highly recommend investing in a solid-state drive (SSD) for your business laptop. This will provide faster boot-up and load times, as well as enhanced data protection.

5. Can the laptop be used for other purposes besides business?

Absolutely! Our laptops are versatile and can be used for personal tasks such as web browsing, streaming, and basic photo and video editing. They are also great for students and remote workers.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Jess_K
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Jess_K
  • tx_deputyswife
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
tx_deputyswife
Replies