• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Bringing a Laptop to Your Show: Is It Worth It?

well, it was a disaster. I couldn't keep up with the software on the netbook and when we had to enter all the info on P3, it was a mess. I also like having the bigger screen.Absolutely! A laptop is a great idea. You can't beat the price, and they come in handy for writing down the orders and such.
California Girl
do you bring a laptop to your show? is it wroth it? I dont have one anymore since mine crashed! so im thinking about getting one, could i write it off as a business expense? sorry for all the questions

Absolutely! It's easy to make a math mistake or for them to write the wrong price down without it.

I tell them I have a laptop with me so they don't have to worry about the math for taxes, etc because the program PC gives us does all that for us. We can party and who wants to think when they're partying. They get a laugh and I get to state another benefit of being a consultant.

I say what Beth says...and I get thrown off if I get distracted while doing math or even answering questions. The first party I tried to enter all their info in, and since then I've learned a couple of time savers:

• I just use their first name at the show
  • Make sure they go over the credit card number with you AND write it on the order so you can tell them which one it was if there are problems later
  • DO use the check number
  • If you have time, you can enter the guest list ahead of time.

I love using the laptop, don't think I could do this without it. My AD doesn't use hers, though.

P3 uses a lot of memory, I can't run it on my netbook, so whatever you get, be sure it has enough memory (many netbooks do!)

As to taxes, if you are getting it for business (wouldn't get it otherwise) it sure sounds like a write off to me. Others would know if you should use it exclusively for business to make it a write off.

Good advice. Definitely write down the CC number. If they didn't fill it in I just put the number on the receipt and then enter it all on P3. I tell them that it's very secure. Not all info is anywhere. The # is truncated on P3 and the rest of the info isn't on the receipt (plus I shred once the show is cleared).

One difference: I put in first and last name at the show (often there are more than one with the same name).

Taxes: Absolutely deductable. You just have to determine what percent of use is for business and the deduction is calculated from that.

Why do you feel it important to put the check number in? I have never needed that info. Just curious.

BethCooks4U said:
Why do you feel it important to put the check number in? I have never needed that info. Just curious.

Maybe it's my demographic, lots and lots of older women (70's and up), but sometimes they ask me--"what check number did I give you?"....and if they are ordering for someone else, ship direct, I put it in the recipient's name for receipt and delivery purposes, then I have one more way to tie the check to the order when I am sorting it all out at home.
I'm sure I don't really need it, but until I'm more confident in my organization, I'll probably keep doing it.

BlueMoon said:
Maybe it's my demographic, lots and lots of older women (70's and up), but sometimes they ask me--"what check number did I give you?"....and if they are ordering for someone else, ship direct, I put it in the recipient's name for receipt and delivery purposes, then I have one more way to tie the check to the order when I am sorting it all out at home.
I'm sure I don't really need it, but until I'm more confident in my organization, I'll probably keep doing it.

I think if I'd ever had anyone ask me for the number I'd be putting it down too. It is a good habit to cover all your bases. Also, my bank prints out a receipt with copies of all the checks so I can get that info from there. ;)

I can't imagine having a show without a laptop. I wouldn't know how to tally the orders without it!

yes, a new laptop IS tax deductible. You can deduct the whole thing one year or amortize it (deduct it over several years) laptops are cheap, I would go with deducting the whole thing.

The salesman who helped us find our computer had a family member who was a consultant and was familiar enough with P3 to recommend getting the laptop instead of a netbook. You can find inexpensive laptops especially this time of year for the same price as a netbook. Bonus is they have a CD drive and a larger screen.

I have a MacBook that I take to every show! I did my first two without it and learned very quickly how easy it is to make a miscalculation. Not again! It doesn't take that long to enter their name and get their order in with a total in less than a minute if they know what they want when they come to your full service check out.

lt1jane said:
yes, a new laptop IS tax deductible. You can deduct the whole thing one year or amortize it (deduct it over several years) laptops are cheap, I would go with deducting the whole thing.

I think this may be changing in 2011, so you may want to double check with a professional or on the IRS website, and decide if you want to buy it before January 1st.

I did buy a laptop to take to my shows - I tried it several times, several different ways - and I can't do it. I am much faster and find it much easier to talk to my guests and keep myself on track if I do it all by hand. I don't even try to take it anymore. Yes, it takes me a little while when I get home to add them into the program but I work much better without it.

Now, as I say that, if you do it from the start it may work for you. I've been doing PC for a looonnnnngggg time. When I started the program was an additional $90 to purchase and I didn't even have a computer. I did PC for about 5 years before I even got a computer and the program. And even then I wasn't connected to the internet and printed out the final show to mail.

I just work better by hand I guess - and now I'm going to go before I say anything else that makes me sound like my grandma.

I love using my laptop at shows. I got a relatively inexpensive Toshiba that even has a keypad built in. I don't make mistakes on math, can double check easily that the item number and description they gave me match, and it makes my job look SO easy. I still use the duplicate forms to have them fill out, I just put the total at the bottom.

I have used my laptop since the beginning and can't image going without it. I had a host this month who was a past host, but didn't have her number. What a hassle it was to figure her order!! Pantry items are tax free here in NY, so I had to figure her total w/ shipping, but without tax on some items, plus 10% off...I'm just not used to doing it!!! I knew who her consultant was and almost called her for the girls host number!! Later my director told me that I could put in a bogus host number just to get the total and then put in her actual number when I had an internet connection. Anyway, all that to say I would get the laptop! I send invitations, so I input the guest list before the show which saves time and sometimes I will input information if I have time while ladies are eating and making their orders (from the drawing slips).

Yes I take mine, and love it, wouldn't do it any other way.
The only thing I don't like about mine is that is doesn't have the 9-key, and I am not very good at typing numbers in the other way, although after 41 shows I am getting better.

I use a good ol' calculator at shows. I've never had any problems with miscalculations. The order sheet is pretty foolproof. The only time I need P3 to double check is with the host order - and usually if I'm not in a hurry and I actually focus I can do that right without it too.

I've only been doing this for 6+ months and the last 2 months I decided to try using my laptop. It has made my life so much easier! I hate having 1 more thing to carry, but I have had zero errors since making the switch. My biggest problem was always that guests never separated pantry items as indicated on the form, which are non-taxable where I am, and I wasn't catching it. So, I was constantly having to correct those after the fact. It's also saving me time since I'm not having to enter all the orders when I come home. And it's much easier for me to tell the host what her rewards are at that moment because P3 tells me. You have to decide that a laptop will really be worthwhile for you. I already had mine when I started so it was a decision to bring it, not to buy it.

cmcchef said:
I've only been doing this for 6+ months and the last 2 months I decided to try using my laptop. It has made my life so much easier! I hate having 1 more thing to carry, but I have had zero errors since making the switch. My biggest problem was always that guests never separated pantry items as indicated on the form, which are non-taxable where I am, and I wasn't catching it. So, I was constantly having to correct those after the fact. It's also saving me time since I'm not having to enter all the orders when I come home. And it's much easier for me to tell the host what her rewards are at that moment because P3 tells me. You have to decide that a laptop will really be worthwhile for you. I already had mine when I started so it was a decision to bring it, not to buy it.

This was always an issue for me too. But what I love the most is not having to enter anything when I get home! My show is all set when I leave, and all I have to enter are any outside orders after the show, and the host's order. LOVE THAT! :love:

I took my laptop to my show last week and LOVED it... It made things so much easier and faster... Then when the show closed, I just printed all the receipts on PP on the printable receipts and was done... I will be taking it from now on...

I always take my laptop. I make sure to update P3 the day of the show or night before. I'm actually good at math but get flustered figuring out the tax by hand at shows.
I just enter their first & last name at the show, and wait until I'm home to fill in the other contact info.

yep, thats what i did too.... I loved taking it...

I LOVE having a laptop at my shows. NO errors and all info is inputted while at the show so there's really no other info to input when I get home.
If someone wants to know the price of something (and I am not sure of the price) it's so easy to look it up in p3 rather than fumbling thru a catalog.

I also love that I can take care of replacement parts orders at the show as well.

cmcchef said:
My biggest problem was always that guests never separated pantry items as indicated on the form, which are non-taxable where I am, and I wasn't catching it. So, I was constantly having to correct those after the fact. .

I do this, too, sometimes when I do not take my laptop. So, I just call the person, apologize, and ask if they want the change back with their order, or do I just use it to Round Up their order. I have only given back one person's change ;)

Mine is a love-hate relationship with the laptop at shows. I love that it calculates everything and I know at a glance where the host is for rewards. But I hate that it's one more thing to drag in. I bring too much stuff as it is.

I used to use my Laptop at my shows. Now I just bring my orders home and enter them there. I was spending too much time copying over the info the customer had placed on their form. Also I think the little netbook that I was using just did not have enough memory to support P3..therfore it took a long time to power up. I better computer would resolve the issue.

I take my notebook with me to all shows.. I only enter the customers name and items ordered, that allows me to get the total correct and the host gets her tally right away too. When i get home I enter the rest of the customers information. I would be lost without my laptop.

I've been taking mine and love doing so. Twice, I've even printed receipts for the host then and there...now that's awesome!

flyerscott1853 said:
I was spending too much time copying over the info the customer had placed on their form.

I found this to be true too when I first started bringing my laptop to shows. Now I just tell the guests to write their first and last name on the receipts and they'll verbally tell me the remaining info when I check them out. That shaved off a lot of time. I type fast so when they tell me their address/email/phone it's fast to enter it in.

lesliec said:
The only thing I don't like about mine is that is doesn't have the 9-key, and I am not very good at typing numbers in the other way, although after 41 shows I am getting better.

If you will notice on your keyboard the 9 key is there- on mine it is the area starting with 7,8,9. If you turn on your number lock you can use those keys and they will enter numbers instead of the alpha. Once you get to the point of entering item numbers turn it on and try it! (I will say that I just realized this when I was reading your post so I am going to try it myself at my next show!)
LOL!

I bring my laptop to my shows too!!! I got a new laptop last year that was lighter than my other one and it makes it so much easier to carry to shows.

As for writting it off on your taxes double check with your tax professional and the IRS website they have CHANGED ALL of the Tax laws this year so their are things that you can't claim like you usually can. Since everyone's tax situation is different it really depends on a lot of things so be sure to double check. It's always better to play it safe and find out for sure.

My main computer was getting too slow, so I got a Lenovo Notebook just for Pampered Chef and moved P3 off my old computer. That thing is so light -- lighter than a book. I love it! :love: I only enter first name and last initial and the contact info at home. What it helps me remember to do is Aske every guest about the biz and if they would like to host a show -- I just treat that like a regular question as I go. I love having the totals for where the host is at, too. Also, if I am meeting a host to close a party, I can just toss it in my purse b/c it is so light and small.

Sandi

lesliec said:
When I bought my laptop this was my one requirement - the 9-key. I know it's in the keyboard of most laptops, too, but that's really hard to use for me. So I made sure mine had it!!

However, you can buy a 9-key pad for pretty cheap at office stores. It just plugs into a USB. I have one for my work laptop!

alabama pc cons. said:
I took my laptop to my show last week and LOVED it... It made things so much easier and faster... Then when the show closed, I just printed all the receipts on PP on the printable receipts and was done... I will be taking it from now on...

wow, so I really miss out not having my director or even a cluster near me! I had no idea you could print receipts! What are the printable receipts?? (sorry to get off topic)

I love having my laptop at shows :) I need to figure out how to write it off in taxes. I'm a newbie to PC & taxes AND writing things off!!

Do you bring a laptop to your show?

Yes, many Pampered Chef consultants choose to bring a laptop to their shows. It can be a useful tool for displaying product information, recipes, and host specials. However, it is not required and many consultants are successful without one.

Is it worth it?

It depends on your personal preference and the type of show you are hosting. If you have a lot of digital content to share or if you are doing a virtual show, a laptop can be very helpful. However, if you prefer to stick to traditional methods, it may not be necessary.

I don't have one anymore since mine crashed! So, I'm thinking about getting one.

That is completely up to you. If you feel that a laptop would benefit your business and make your shows more successful, then it may be worth investing in a new one. However, if you are comfortable without one, there is no need to purchase a new laptop.

Could I write it off as a business expense?

Yes, if you use your laptop primarily for Pampered Chef business purposes, you may be able to write it off as a business expense on your taxes. It is always best to consult with a tax professional for specific advice on deducting business expenses.

Sorry for all the questions!

No need to apologize! We are here to help and answer any questions you may have. It's important to make informed decisions about your business, so don't hesitate to ask any and all questions you may have. That's what we're here for!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• amyscookinggear
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
BlessedWifeMommy
  • otisbg
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
otisbg
  • SweetThang