• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What laptop brand should I choose? Need recommendations!

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a new laptop and the importance of choosing the right brand. The individual currently has a Toshiba but is dissatisfied with its battery life and fan performance. Consumer reports recommended a Sony Vaio, but it is no longer available. Dell and Gateway are also mentioned as potential options, with Dell being preferred due to a discount available through the individual's workplace. Other individuals in the conversation also recommend Dell laptops, citing their satisfaction with the brand's performance and functionality. Other brands such as Compaq and Mac are also suggested as potential options. The general consensus is to invest in a high-quality, powerful laptop for optimal performance and longevity.
nikkijo
I'm getting a new laptop and I need help in picking out the brand. I currently have a Toshiba and I hate it. The battery life sucks and the fan doesn't work the best. Last week I only had the laptop on for 10 min on the kitchen table (so well vented) and it shut itself off :mad: DH finally gave the go ahead for a new one :D but I have to do my research.

I subscribed to consumer reports online...well that was a waste of money. I know that I'm getting a small screen the 12.1" and what they recommended (last updated in July 2006) was a sony viao but here's the kicker..they don't make that model anymore. All of the sony ones in this size that are currently being sold are $2,000+. DH doesn't want me to go over $1600. Consumer reports didn't list any dell laptops (we have a pc from them and love it) The other one that Consumer reports listed that had good ratings was a gateway. I don't know anyone that has a gateway computer.

Where my DH works we can get a discount with dell, but I don't want that to be the only reason we get a dell. What are your recommendations?? Which ones do you like or dislike and why??

thank you!!

I have a Dell Inspiron 9400 that I got in Feb of this year .... I went to the small business side and found it. My father is a business owner so that is how I was able to find it... I haven't had any problems with my laptop, I used to have a Toshiba as well and had the same problems plus many more. My laptop fits in my rolling crate with all my stuff for shows really nicely. So my vote is for dell!!
:) I have a 17' screen on mine too... makes doiing PC and school stuff so much eaesier!!!

Last edited:
My DH and I both have Dell laptops, and we could not be happier with them. We have had them for 4 or 5 years and they work great. I highly reccomend the Dell's.

Tracy

I have a Inspiron E1505 and I love it. I built my own and it only cost $1300. That included an extra battery(the one with the longer life), a cordless mouse, an external floppy disk drive, and the duo processor. I can't think of the rest of the "extras" I got right now. My battery is great. It goes for hours and hours. I only usually have to charge every few days.

HTH

I'm thinking of getting the dell xps 1210. I'm glad to hear that others like there dell. I know that I will be getting the extended warranty.

nikkijo said:
I'm getting a new laptop and I need help in picking out the brand. I currently have a Toshiba and I hate it. The battery life sucks and the fan doesn't work the best. Last week I only had the laptop on for 10 min on the kitchen table (so well vented) and it shut itself off :mad: DH finally gave the go ahead for a new one :D but I have to do my research.

Sorry to hear about your bad results with Toshiba. I bought my Toshiba laptop a year ago October and I absolutely love mine. It has been a godsend to me since I had a PC before that. I have had no problems with mine, and I keep my fingers crossed that it stays healthy for a long time to come!!

Good luck on the laptop research!!

:rolleyes:

I would suggest a dell ....or what about a Mac? (the new MacBook is 13" and has the intel core duo....which you can install Windows XP through bootcamp) I am on mine now...I mainly use the windows side for PP and windows only programs, and the mac side for my design programs that run better on macs....it is the fastest windows machine i have ever used!! :)

I have a dell Inspiron 9200... it's two years old this month. Works awesome!!! I have the larger 17 inch screen because I like to see alot when I work on spreadsheets, etc. But that's a personal preference.

My only suggestion would be get the "biggest baddest" one you can afford. Most memory, power, etc. I thing that's the reason I am still happy with mine.

my husband has compaq, it was only aroung 1100 with the extra warranty (and all the bells he chose).. he is a truck driver (so it gets alot of travel, shaking and being jarred).. after 3 years, it is still holding up great.. I saw an ad, a week or two ago, that office depot had several under 1000.. I would check them out before you buy (just to see what they got) and compare.. just my opinion:)

I currently have a 17 inch screen and it is nice but the battery doesn't last longer than an hour and a half. Some of my classes that I have are 2 hours long so I have to make sure that I sit by an outlet. Plus they don't have a lot of cute bags in that size. I just think the 12 inch will work better for school.

Did I read this right? Mac's can also be used with Window's?? Does it then work for word, excell and power point?? What about if you have window based games?

yes you read it right!! The new macs (has to be an intel-based core duo or 2 duo processor) .....there is a program called bootcamp that you can download for free (beta right now, but will be included in the next OS..leopard...in the spring) Anyway, when you instal bootcamp, you can then install Windows XP (you need your own copy of XP...doesn't come with the system). then when you boot you hit the alt key, and can choose which OS you want to boot up. and then you can install and run and windows programs when you are on that OS! it is amazing...i hate not using mac, but some programs aren't made for mac yet (PP) ....let me know if you have any other questions or if i confused you!

Thank you Jennifer...that cleared it up. This is very intresting...I know that mac's have a lower risk of the viris and worms because they tend to target windows. Thank you so much, you have given me a lot to think about :)

Nikki

Well remember that you basically partition your hard drive, and boot up your windows, that partition is open to viruses....

I've had an Acer for a year now and I love it.

I have an HP pavillion, I got it "built" at Office Depot (don't know if our PC discount applies or not on this one) and I absolutely love it. My daughter has a Dell Inspirion and loves hers, too. We have had no problems with either one. I'd shop around, but I have to tell you I love the customer service I get at Offfice Depot.

nikkijo said:
Thank you Jennifer...that cleared it up. This is very intresting...I know that mac's have a lower risk of the viris and worms because they tend to target windows. Thank you so much, you have given me a lot to think about :)

Nikki

Check with HO or your director or upline - I do not believe that PC has mac software for PP?? Just seems that I heard (read) that somewhere ?? Double check before making the big purchase - I would hate for yu not to be able to electronically send your orders via PP :eek:

I run it all of the time on the windows side of my MacBookPro. I have the same problem with other programs that aren't out for Macs...so this is a great solution for me. When you have one of the new Macs, (intel core chip) you can install windows xp on it through a program called bootcamp. and you can actually boot up in windows....and install and run any program. (you can press the alt button on boot and choose which operating system you want to boot up in) I am a Mac nut...so if you have any other questions about it let me know.

PCGINA said:
Check with HO or your director or upline - I do not believe that PC has mac software for PP?? Just seems that I heard (read) that somewhere ?? Double check before making the big purchase - I would hate for yu not to be able to electronically send your orders via PP :eek:

To run PP on a mac one needs 2 additional pieces of software. One I believe is free and is called bootcamp. And one has to buy Windows XP which is not cheap although copies can probably be gotten cheaper in january or february when the new vista windows operating system is released. I'm simply repeating what a couple other members have shared about the mac. I also would like to remind everyone that owns a mac that you should email HO with a request for a mac version. If enough consultants want it they may bring it back.

Od...
Nanisu said:
I have an HP pavillion, I got it "built" at Office Depot (don't know if our PC discount applies or not on this one) and I absolutely love it. My daughter has a Dell Inspirion and loves hers, too. We have had no problems with either one. I'd shop around, but I have to tell you I love the customer service I get at Offfice Depot.

I totally agree, I PM her the info too. :)

Liz

cool, now I want one :)
jenniferknapp said:
I run it all of the time on the windows side of my MacBookPro. I have the same problem with other programs that aren't out for Macs...so this is a great solution for me. When you have one of the new Macs, (intel core chip) you can install windows xp on it through a program called bootcamp. and you can actually boot up in windows....and install and run any program. (you can press the alt button on boot and choose which operating system you want to boot up in) I am a Mac nut...so if you have any other questions about it let me know.

Are these pretty expensive?? I know you'd be getting more though :)

You can go to the "store" tab on www.apple.com ...but the 13" macbook starts at $1099...not bad at all! then a copy of windows xp is about 100 or maybe a bit cheaper and the other piece of software, bootcamp, is free...

I have an HP compaq nx9030 and love it. It's about 2 years old. I have not had any problems at all and at the first show I took it too, unsupervised children poured a full QSP of lemonade in it and it's still working like brand new after two years and lemonade.

What are the minimum system requirements for a laptop recommended by Pampered Chef?

The minimum system requirements for a laptop recommended by Pampered Chef are: Intel Core i5 processor, 8GB of RAM, and 256GB of storage. This will ensure smooth performance when using our online tools and resources.

Do I need a specific operating system for a laptop recommended by Pampered Chef?

No, we do not require a specific operating system for our recommended laptops. However, we recommend using a current and updated version of either Windows or MacOS for optimal compatibility.

Is a touchscreen necessary for a laptop recommended by Pampered Chef?

No, a touchscreen is not necessary for our recommended laptops. While it may offer some convenience, it is not a requirement for using our online tools and resources.

Can I purchase a laptop from any brand for it to be considered a recommended laptop by Pampered Chef?

Yes, you can purchase a laptop from any brand as long as it meets our minimum system requirements. However, we do have partnerships with certain brands and may offer exclusive discounts or deals for our consultants.

Are there any additional features or specifications I should look for in a laptop recommended by Pampered Chef?

Aside from the minimum system requirements, we recommend looking for a laptop with a long battery life, a lightweight and portable design, and a high-quality display. These features will enhance your overall experience when using our online tools and resources.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kcjodih
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
kcjodih
Replies
Views
babywings76
Replies
Views
etteluap70PC