• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is the $60 for the Guest Sales Hurting Your Sales?

In summary, Ginger believes that the company would sell more if they went back to $50, and that an average order at her shows is $45. She feels that it was super easy to sell $5 more in order to get the special, but now guests have to spend $15 more to get it.
cookn' katie
I think the $60 in sales to earn the guest special is hurting my overall sales. I really believe the company would sell more if they went back to $50. I feel that an average order at my shows is $45. It was super easy to sell $5 more in order to get the special. But now guests have to spend $15 more to get it. And that seems huge to me. I think it would me easier to get 3 guests to spend $5 more to earn it than 1 to spend $15 more. Does this make any sense. I have a hard time typing what my brain is saying. Let me know your thoughts.

I totally agree. I have been having a hard time convincing people to round up to $60 for a $12 item than I did at $50. Like you said, my average order was around $45.

I hope they change that back. Maybe if enough of us complain they will?!

I think it helps my overall sales - my average sale is usually around $50 so it has not been hard to bump people up.

I think it has hurt a lot. My aunt was going to spend $60 to get the ice cream sandwich maker, and her husband was like "just buy it for $12 instead of spending more to get it free", so that is what she did. I've even had people less than $10 away that won't bump it up. Of course, if you don't have kids, the ice cream sandwich maker isn't that appealing. I am hoping the batter bowl and the quick-stir pitcher will bring in better sales. I was very happy to see those two things as the upcoming guest specials.

I agree! I used to have two or three people get the guest special at least. My last show had none!!

If they are going to increase the amount, they need to offer a proportionately valued products for free. Spend $60 and get the ICSM? It is a great tool, but people just didn't want it. I think it should go back to $50.

Totally agree!!

I think its also because last last 3 months we have had some pretty so so guest specials. March & May they didnt need the 60$. I have not been excited about the guest special since January ( the pink towels) I'm excited about July & August, so I'll have to let you know then.:D

Ginger:cool:

I didn't have hardly anybody spen $60 to get the ICSM, but at my first July show on Saturday I had 5 or 6 people get the free Batter Bowl. I think it is because the batter bowl is so much better for a variety of people than the sandwich maker. I would be more excited about the batter bowl than the sandwich maker.

amya said:
I didn't have hardly anybody spen $60 to get the ICSM, but at my first July show on Saturday I had 5 or 6 people get the free Batter Bowl. I think it is because the batter bowl is so much better for a variety of people than the sandwich maker. I would be more excited about the batter bowl than the sandwich maker.
Me too. There are quite a few people that don't eat icecream, which I found shocking. LOL

I am really excited to tell all my guests about the batter bowl! I don't have the ICSM or even know how to use it, but I only had one catalog show in June so I didn't really need to know!

I'm hoping that when the holiday season starts, the $60 will actually increase our sales by increasing the average order. It would be great to keep it at $50 during the spring/summer months.

I'm not having that much of problem with people spending the $60 but not that many people were interested in the icsm, but this month and next month should be good for everyone b/c even if they have a batter bowl at home they could spend the $60 get one free and give it away as a gift....

I agree!I agree I think that PC should go back to the guest $50 purchase to get their FREE item.
I mean they did increase shipping, and the prices of some of our items.

I know prices go up, gas prices are up and everything like that, but that June guest special was pretty stinky! I didn't even want that ice cream sandwich maker! It is so tiny and in my opinion not worth $12!

I would really like to see some of these items offered FREE to guests:

Stainless steel scoop (med)
Large serving spatula
Classic Scraper
Nylon Tool set
Large serving tongs

Granted I have been selling PC for about 19 months so I might have missed these being offered FREE or wasn't paying attention. What would you like to see offered?

Debbie:D

I really don't see much use for the icsm because you can pretty much do the same thing with the Meaure All Cup...and it is more manageable to eat!

jenniferlynne said:
I think it has hurt a lot. My aunt was going to spend $60 to get the ice cream sandwich maker, and her husband was like "just buy it for $12 instead of spending more to get it free", so that is what she did. .

I totally feel that same scenario happening!

I think it all depends on what the guest special is for the month. I agree, that the ice cream sandwich maker was not a good choice. It didn't make any of my guests want to spend $60 to get it free. I think this month with the free batter bowl, and then next month with the quick stir pitcher we will see more people willing to spend $60. I think as long as they pick a stong selling item the $60 will work.

I totally agree that $60 is too high. Especially for so/soI totally agree that $60 is too high. Especially for so/so incentives. I talked more people into spending more at the $50 level. I'm looking forward to seeing if the batter bowl and the pitcher will change that!

DebbieSAChef said:
...but that June guest special was pretty stinky! I didn't even want that ice cream sandwich maker! It is so tiny and in my opinion not worth $12!

I would really like to see some of these items offered FREE to guests:

Stainless steel scoop (med)
Large serving spatula
Classic Scraper
Nylon Tool set
Large serving tongs Debbie:D
I couldn't agree more. And those suggestions are things that I would want for free!

Anything are better choices than the ICSM that has to have just the right buyer to want it for free. The batter bowl and QSP are better to appeal to a larger crowd.

we actually had the classic scraper as an incentive over here (UK) and it wasn't a very good one to be honest....people just thought it was an overpriced spatula, and that wasn't appealing!

Our spend was £30 and has gone up to £40 for this month...that's even MORE than what you lot have to get them to spend!!

Here is Canada it's $75.00, and it can be a very hard sell as well!!!!

I agree that the ICSM wasn't a strong incentive. I bought one just so I could show it off and frankly, it doesn't impress me. I can't quite figure out why you can't just put a scoop of ice cream between a couple of cookies and call it a day, LOL.

But the mini batter bowl is a GREAT incentive, I think! I am going to be bringing my batter bowl to shows this month and will see how it goes!

The product makes all the difference.Personally, I would not give you two cents for an Ice Cream Sandwich Maker no matter whose it is. I found that my guests just did not want it so they didn't try to earn it. I think the Batter Bowl might work except, if you have mostly "oldies" at your parties, ten bucks says they already have one or two now so...
The pitcher may be a different story though. I had a July booking to get the 19.50 one for 7.40 and she already has two of the gallon ones from the old line. So maybe the newer modle will make a difference.
Let's hope!!!

Well I got a few people to get up to 60- for the ice cream maker, although a few people that bought more than 60- didn't want it for free...so I agree, even though I just started...and as it was said before most Pampered Chef lovers already have a batter bowl...hopefully the September will bring something really cool!;) because I just started I know which things would make me want to spend 60-, but haven't seen them yet *fingers crossed*:rolleyes:

I actually had a guest say that she didn't want the ICSM and that I should keep it for a give away...now that's bad!!

cookn' katie said:
I think the $60 in sales to earn the guest special is hurting my overall sales. I really believe the company would sell more if they went back to $50. I feel that an average order at my shows is $45. It was super easy to sell $5 more in order to get the special. But now guests have to spend $15 more to get it. And that seems huge to me. I think it would me easier to get 3 guests to spend $5 more to earn it than 1 to spend $15 more. Does this make any sense. I have a hard time typing what my brain is saying. Let me know your thoughts.

Yes, I agree. My average order has gone down since they switched to $60. In my opinion the company is starting to get "greedy". What I mean by that is evey incentive is getting higher in totals to reach.

The sell a thon was $1,500 for the bottom level last swtitch over it was $1,250 for all the new products, right?

Hmmm...Have you ever wondered if maybe they are getting rid of the ICSM? I mean think about it, when it wasn't the freebie for June, how much did they sell? And how much did WE sell it? My guess..it's going away and they were trying to get rid of a HUGE stock of them...haha ;)

I think the ICSM was a good freebie because it was a fun item that people may not buy, but fun to get for free.

Of course, nobody can have too many silicone scrapers, hot pad/trivet would be good, pizza cutter, slice n serve, small bowl set, ice cream dipper, cookbooks, set of spices.

I actually did get quite a few people at each show who tried to order $60 to get the ICSM free. 7 out of 12 people at my first June show hit the $60 mark! But when the purchase minimum is $50, I usually have almost everyone order $50 to get the free product!

I had more people go for the $60 once I actually demoed the ICSM. Helped me sell the Ice Cream Dipper as well. :)

I am just happy it is July now and I can start bribing people with the small batter bowl :)

I had people at my June shows add items to get the Ice Cream Sandwich Maker. In my opinion they probably did it because it is something they would never purchase themselves, but they think it is a fun item so they decide to get it for free. I remember before I was a consultant there was always another item I wanted to purchase. When my consultant pointed out I could get something for free, I always chose to purchase that one more item to get the free item.

When the dollar amount required was raised to $60 at first I was disappointed, but then I started to think about how seldom Pampered Chef has raised prices since I became a customer and consultant. I am not sure how long the Food Chopper has been $28.50, but I know it was that price in 2002. I think that says a lot for Pampered Chef!

I love the Small Batterbowl and QuickStir Pitcher as Guest Specials. Customers are going to be very excited!

My director told me that the Large Round Stone is actually CHEAPER NOW than it was when she started 14 years ago.

I believe the ICSM boosted my sales. I made sure to get one and demo it at the end of every show. It made a nice and easy desert. I made cookies with boxed cake mix, 1/3 cup oil and 2 eggs. mixed it up and put it on stoneware to bake. I made the cookies at home and used them to demo the ICSM. Everyone just about loved it. When there were kids at the show I would get the kids to come up and make their own, the kids had sooo much fun which encouraged the adults to want it. Then I had the adults make their own and they said it was fun. So for me it worked well. I also sold some ice cream dippers too. One thing I found out is that whatever I demo usually sells pretty well. So I believe it all depends on how you present the free gift. Maybe it did well here in Tucson because it's very hot. LOL

However, I do feel that the small batter bowl will be a better item.

i do not thin it boosted or hurt my sales. i do belive like some of you if it was set at $45 or $50 it would boost them though. b/c i had a lot of people that were about $20 off but did not want to spend $20 to get $11/12. sometimes we can out price ourselves with to high of a goal i think! i knoe we need higher goals but sometimes smaller ones are easier to achieve and then add up to more in the long run.

Does enyone even know why they changed it from $50 to $60??

My guess to why they changed the price from $50 to $60 is b/c so many people were buying the things at $50 that they kept running out of the products, which caused things to go on backorder which upset some people, so maybe this is the cause of the prices going up!!!

tiffanypc05 said:
My guess to why they changed the price from $50 to $60 is b/c so many people were buying the things at $50 that they kept running out of the products, which caused things to go on backorder which upset some people, so maybe this is the cause of the prices going up!!!

Hmmm. That's kind of you. Perhaps I'm cynical (okay, I know I am) but my guess is they wanted to make more money.

This is for the something that was said on the 2nd page about earning the free product!!!!

As for the $1250 that was probably for the mid-season products, and even if it wasn't the mid-season products, you have to be logical and think about how many new products are coming out! My director has been selling for 6 yrs. and she said since she's been selling there has never been over $900 worth of product come out at one time that you could earn that she can remember....This past catalog there was more than $900 BUT you couldn't earn all of it at one time(the executive pots)! I don't think it's the fact that they are getting greedy but PC is giving you the chance to earn all the new product and why would they want to let you earn more product without having a higher sales goal?

Last edited:
Hmmm. That's kind of you. Perhaps I'm cynical (okay, I know I am) but my guess is they wanted to make more money.-chefjeanine

Well I see where you are coming from! BUT Warren Buffet is already giving away all of his money...Why would he need more?

tiffanypc05 said:
Hmmm. That's kind of you. Perhaps I'm cynical (okay, I know I am) but my guess is they wanted to make more money.-chefjeanine

Well I see where you are coming from! BUT Warren Buffet is already giving away all of his money...Why would he need more?
...well we do have a lot more managers there at HO and they have to pay their salaries somehow.

I can't believe how cynical I have gotten lately... sorry!

I think the classic scraper was a spend $50 get a scraper free some time last year before I signed cause I know I did not buy one and I have a few

I think it is okay to raise it to $60 if the free products is a best seller or something really great like the QSP and small batter bowl. I don't know what they were thinking when they chose that as the guest special! I think there is a big difference in people's heads between getting a $10 item free as opposed to getting a $15 item free.

I liked the garlic press as free item last year when guests spent $50. I also liked the free cutting board in February. I do kind of wish it was still spend $50 and get free item but I don't think it has really hurt my sales.

The cutting boards had to be successful since they ran out!!

I think its a good idea to have an incentvive like that, but its great when its an item people like, something that's popular like the small batter bowl. People went nuts for it last night!!

I think that HO needs to go back to allowing individual orders get the guest special for the month like they did a year ago. I have alot of people who just order when they want something and what if an individual order is $100; I think that they should be able to get the free product just as much as any other customer. Why should they be punished because they did not order at a show?!?

They want people to go to shows instead of placing individual orders because the orders tend to be larger, but if someone places such a large ind. order they should get it too. I try to put as many individual orders as I can on to open shows I already have so they can have the special.

Chef Becca KY said:
Have you ever wondered if maybe they are getting rid of the ICSM? I mean think about it, when it wasn't the freebie for June, how much did they sell? And how much did WE sell it? My guess..it's going away and they were trying to get rid of a HUGE stock of them...haha ;)

I actually thought the same thing!! My PC nut for a friend and I both bought it when it first came out. We both laughed and said what a joke (definitely not worth $12). She actually gave me hers when I started selling PC!! I asked her what I was supposed to do with it? She said she didn't care it was cluttering her kitchen. So now I have 2 (that I have no use for)!!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Becca_in_MD
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
legacypc46
  • Rebeccascabinet
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
PampMomof3
Replies