• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is It Wrong That I Took This Booking?

In summary, a consultant was asked to cover a show for a sick colleague and was promised the bookings and sales from the show. However, after covering the show, the colleague asked for the orders to be entered into her own account. The consultant is wondering if she is being selfish for wanting to keep the bookings and sales from the show, and others in the conversation agree that she should receive credit for her work.
sarahsellcm
Silver Member
To be able to answer this question I have to set the story for you. I am in Sears purchasing a new oven and I get a phone call from a fellow Pampered Chef Consultant. It was 5:10 and she said she needed me to cover a show for her because her daughter was sick. The show was at 6:30 so I had to quickly go home (luckily I had my grandmother with me to watch my kids) and get ready for the show. My fellow consultant said to call her when I get home to tell her what the orders were so she could enter them into P3. I told her that if she was taking the orders I was taking a booking. Is that wrong? I feel like I did the work tonight at the last minute and think I should get something out of it. Am I being selfish with this? She doesn't seem to mind I am taking the one booking (two bookings from the show, she got the one before hand and I got the one at the show by asking) but I just want to make sure I am not being mean. I personally would give the entire show the whoever covered it for me because they did the work but that is me not what everyone would do.

ANy feedback greatly appreciated.

Sarah

Sarah,

I know you two were in a rush, the rule I have with my team is...you can't do the show, you give it to another team member, the show becomes theirs. Since they DID the show. The original consultant gets the bookings.

No it's not wrong. IMO, what IS wrong is her taking the show to enter into HER P3. If I give a show for whatever reason to my director, downline or fellow consultant I do just that - give it. Bookings, commission, sales for incentives, everything. Same with if I'm given one. I can't believe the nerve of her calling with just over an hour to start time and then when you do come to her rescue she takes the show! The initial booking SHE got beforehand fine, but nothing else. JMO!!!

I have never been in this situation but I would have assumed that since you worked the show, you should get the sales from it. I guess in the future, you need to set up the agreement before covering for someone else. Don't think you are being greedy at all.

kcjodih said:
No it's not wrong. IMO, what IS wrong is her taking the show to enter into HER P3. If I give a show for whatever reason to my director, downline or fellow consultant I do just that - give it. Bookings, commission, sales for incentives, everything. Same with if I'm given one. I can't believe the nerve of her calling with just over an hour to start time and then when you do come to her rescue she takes the show! The initial booking SHE got beforehand fine, but nothing else. JMO!!!

I totally agree!

In our cluster - if you can't do a show, and you give it to someone else, it becomes theirs. Completely! The only thing that should have been hers is the booking she got herself. Everything else should belong to you!

My jaw kink of dropped when I read that she told you to call her and give HER the orders. WHAT? I agree with Jenny, I am not sure that I would do a party for someone and give them the credit.

QUESTION: Is she one of YOUR recruits? I might do it in this situation, but I would either take the show total OR the bookings.

I dont' think you did anything wrong

Just my opinion she should (or I would in this case) have given the consultant doing the show for me the sales and then leave it up to the guests who book who to have the future show with. They maybe good friends of that consultant or have done shows with her in the past.
If not then I probably would split them or take the bookings if I gave her the show sales.

edited: After reading some of the above posts though, for calling you an hour before the show I have to agree that the bookings, sales, everything should be yours.

Kelly V

Last edited:
I think you should get everything, you did the work. She is being selfish taking the sales. I would give whoever took over for me the sales and the bookings. So do not feel guilty!

I'm with Ginny, it's your show. If she is a good friend and you want to work something out that is another story, BUT for her to tell you to do the show and tell you to give her the orders(?) I can't believe she even thought that.

She has never done a show for these girls. We met this host at a craft fair together but we split the names in half that day and she got the host at that time. The girl that booked knows my hubby so that is how I got her to book a show by talking to her about that. My hubby is upset that I wasn't home tonight and made nothing off of it but I can live with that I guess. She is not my recruit just a friend that I met by being a consultant. She made me feel really guilty that she needed the money this month or I would have wanted to take the sales. I am happy to know that I am not being selfish. I was wondering if I was handling this right. Thank you all!

Kitchen2u said:
Sarah,

I know you two were in a rush, the rule I have with my team is...you can't do the show, you give it to another team member, the show becomes theirs. Since they DID the show. The original consultant gets the bookings.

I agree, and that's how I've dealt with that issue in the past! :)

sarahsellcm said:
She has never done a show for these girls. We met this host at a craft fair together but we split the names in half that day and she got the host at that time. The girl that booked knows my hubby so that is how I got her to book a show by talking to her about that. My hubby is upset that I wasn't home tonight and made nothing off of it but I can live with that I guess.

She is not my recruit just a friend that I met by being a consultant. She made me feel really guilty that she needed the money this month or I would have wanted to take the sales. I am happy to know that I am not being selfish. I was wondering if I was handling this right. Thank you all!

No you're not being selfish, you're being nice - WAY too nice ;) But thankfully, what goes around, comes around so your turn WILL come!
Karma baby ;) :D

kcjodih said:

Totally agree with you, too! :)

whoever does the show gets the sales, booking, recruits etc. Someone who books a show after watching you, wants to book the show with YOU. You got the sales, no one else. I have given away many a show before I got serious about my business... my problem, no one elses!

i agree with everyone else, the sales should have been yours! Plus you are entitled to the booking. The customer may have not booked with the other consultant.

I wouldn't give her the sales...did you discuss this with her before you took the show? What did she say when you said you were taking the bookings?
If someone in my cluster had a situation like this, I'd do the show, take the sales and then discuss splitting the bookings maybe if there was more than one. But, it would depend on if you are "friends' w/ this consultant or what...I think it's totally your call. What would she have done if you couldn't take the show?

When I have had this come up, I have kept the sales as well as the booking. Yes the original consultant did the host coaching and sent the packet, but you did all the work. I would take the show and the booking.

If I'm not mistaken (and I could be) this used to be addressed in the Policies and Procedures but it's not there anymore. I believe it stated that the future bookings went to the consultant who actually held the show. The sales from the show also go to the person who held the show. I can't find it written in P&P now but I know at one time it stated that it was against policy for any consultant to turn in orders for a show that they did not personally do. It's to keep people from giving their recruits sales in order to get awards themselves (at least that is the way it was put to the consultant I knew who got in trouble for it several years back) - like the trip points and now the money for having a recruit qualify. I know this is a different sort of situation and I think they leave it up to us as consultants now, but I agree with everyone else that you shouldn't have to give up the sales from the show. The bookings are between the two of you.

Kitchen2u said:
Sarah,

If the booked shows go to the consultant that originally had the show, then the host looses the benefit of the host special when her friend that booked has their show. If I were the one calling for help I would feel I was giving away that show and any future shows from that show.

byrd1956 said:
If the booked shows go to the consultant that originally had the show, then the host looses the benefit of the host special when her friend that booked has their show. If I were the one calling for help I would feel I was giving away that show and any future shows from that show.

The booking benefit goes with the host not the consultant. That shouldn't matter. But I still think everything should go to the person doing the show.

Wow! I had to give a shower to another consultant when my sister passed away and I DID enter the show b/c she just wasn't very active and appreciated not having to deal with it then (after all bridal showers can be a little more work). I'd done all of the work leading up to the shower, of course, and literally had to cancel two days before. I called the hosts & bride to let them all know what was going on after asking my friend to do it. I entered the show and gave her my commission!I figured that she did the real work and saved me from ruining a shower b/c I would NOT have been there. B/c of the situation, she didn't even want the commission (not that she said no twice :)). I SO appreciated it. I appreciated that I got the points or whatever so it's kind of like we split it. I don't understand how someone can call in desperation and then expect the same pay off. Can someone do my next show and I still get paid? I think I'll go get a massage.

The massage thing is just too funny...

pcsharon1 said:
The booking benefit goes with the host not the consultant. That shouldn't matter. But I still think everything should go to the person doing the show.

So, how would that work in P3? I'm just thing that the show is generated from the original host when you check that the guest is booking. How does this information go into the other consultant's P3 program? Maybe I am trying to think too much and there is an easy explaination....

The booking benefit is not tied to a consultant. It is tied to the host. It doesn't matter who does the show. I had a party with a lady here in TX. Her mom came and wanted to book a party of her own in Nebraska. I entered her as a booking then she had her cooking show in Neb with someone else. Her daughter in TX got the booking benefit because it is tied to her not me.

Looks like everyone agrees. You should have the booking and the sales. How weird of her to be so....well....rude. I am sorry you are dealing with this. I would make sure people know what it means to "cover" a show from now on. You bailed her out. Oh my goodness...my jaw is just on the floor!

Looking at this thread, I know that I am in the minority. BUT. I don't think that you were wrong taking the booking. But I don't think that she was wrong for getting the sales. Didn't she do host coaching. So I think that she should at least get something out of it for that. But I do agree with you taking the booking.

If something happened and you needed your PC insurance to cover it you are the one doing the show I would be worried because if down the road she says you scratched her counter or whatever... You will be paying for as you did not turn in a show. She would have to say this other person did it... I would not give her the orders. My director did a show for me when I was sick for a friend of mine's booking she kept the sales and bookings (well tried ) the friend wanted me to do her show but never did I think to tell her to give me the sales.

Whoever DOES the show SUBMITS the show. If I give away a show the other consultant gets the sales and bookings. If the group are personal friends, I could see where the bookings would stay with the original consultant, otherwise it all goes to the one who did the show.

I did a show for my director once and she said it was totally mine. I was pretty new and felt uncomfortable doing all that and didn't really ask for bookings like I normally do, thinking I'd be stealing them. I was also intimidated that my show wouldn't compare to hers even though I never, ever went to one of my director's shows - I was a HO lead and did my own first show. I learned from that: If I give someone a show I will TELL THEM that they need to forget where they got the show and go for the gold!

I think you pretty much got the information you were looking for. That being said, if this girl is your friend I would have a conversation with her soon, so that if the situation should arise again I would let her know that you cannot go out again for the evening and work without the benefit of payment. Let her know your family was not happy that you were gone for the night and that you weren't compensated for it. I would also say that it was ok this ONE time but you wanted to be clear if it happened again you would help but the sales, bookings and recruit leads would go to you.
This situation just sets an icky precedent that I would hate to see you having to deal with again.

I've "received" several shows this way, when another consultant couldn't do the show. My director explained it to me this way. If you take the show, you do the show, you get the sales AND bookings and pay the other consultant $5 or something as a show of consideration. (I thought there was something in P&P somewhere, but I can't find it either).

The people who were at the show and booked mostly likely booked because they liked YOU and wanted YOU to be their consultant (granted I know this is not always the case--I had a party with another company and wasn't thrilled with the consultant and would have liked the "original" gal instead).

Don't feel bad about taking the bookings...you earned 'em.

Chefstover2 said:
I've "received" several shows this way, when another consultant couldn't do the show. My director explained it to me this way. If you take the show, you do the show, you get the sales AND bookings and pay the other consultant $5 or something as a show of consideration.

Kristen,

That was they way I was "raised" in this business too. You get the benefits (sales/bookings) from the show and you pay the original consultant $5. Seems to me that somewhere in the past this was the "policy".

chefjeanine said:
Kristen,

That was they way I was "raised" in this business too. You get the benefits (sales/bookings) from the show and you pay the original consultant $5. Seems to me that somewhere in the past this was the "policy".

Yes, that was it. But I can't find it anymore and don't know when they took it out. I agree if the bookings are personal friends of the original consultant they should go to her but otherwise everything goes to the person doing the show.

The case I personally heard about was a director that was close to TPC and gave one of her recruites sales from a show in order to qualify her to get her ring. She was caught when HO called one of the customers for whatever reason and asked them a question and found out that the person who submitted the show did not do the show. It used to specifically say in the Policies that the person who does the show submits the show. It does say on the back of the consultant agreement that the company can audit your sales as any time and you agree to comply with that - I guess that is what happened with the director that I knew.

The consultant doing the show should have received the credits for the show and the bookings. To be nice, I would have offered one booking back to the original consultant if there were more than one and she needed it.

Wow...she made YOU feel guilty that she needed the money? I am sorry. I understand that her daughter is sick...BUT. You were away from your family, you were taking time out of YOUR life...and she make YOU feel guilty!!
She should have been grateful that someone could still do the show. If she needed the money that bad AND had a sick child she could have talked to the hostess, arranged to drop off some products to her to display and have the hostess do a "catalog" show and then give her an extra $15 in free products if she needed the money that bad. I do not agree with her decision and her expectations of you. I would NEVER do that to someone else. I am so sorry that this happened to you.

I agree with everyone else, there needs to be a conversation that this was a one time thing.

I had to swap a show with a girl one time b/c of a family emergency. She got EVERYTHING from that show and as a result she swapped a show with me later. The entire thing worked in my favor (my show was better) but neither of us expected the bookings or the sales from the show we did.

Again, I am sorry you had to deal with this.

I wouldn't give her the sales either ... unless she was my friend or my recruit, and unless she was in danger of going inactive. For example ... if I were sick and my recruiter graciously offered to do the show for me, I MIGHT ask that I could enter them to avoid going inactive, but repay her the commission when it came.

I'm sorry you had to feel bad, but you should have the bookings and the entire show. Just let the other consultant know that from now on if she cannot do a show and wants you to to it then it is all yours.

That's right If she can not do the show then she gets nothing . While you where at the show You worked the show got new booking ext
That's the way it goes , she could have rescheduled the show for anoyher night How can she even think she should get anything if she gave up the show.

In the 7 years I have been a consultant, it is understood that if someone takes your show for you in a pinch, then the sales from that show belong to the person who did the show. bookings.... Decided between the 2 consultants involved. BUT I always tell bookings at those shows that there may be another consultant doing their show, and if they are ok with that, or if it is important that I do it myself. And I remind consultants of this when they call for help!

I was just on the "giving" end of your situation. I'm pregnant & scheduled for a c-section in 4 weeks. I intentionally didn't plan any shows for the end of this month, all of March or the first 2 weeks of April because I had preeclampsia with my last pregnancy and knew that it was possible for me to have it again with this pregnancy. I learned this week that Preeclamsia has indeed struck again. I called my Director and asked her if she could be on stand-by to take my show "just in case" my medical condition deteriorates before I can do this last Feb scheduled show. I was willing to give her the sales and the bookings if I was unable to do the cooking show myself. I told her I knew if I planned ahead Murphy's Law would take over & I wouldn't need the backup plan ... but if I procrastinated, I'd be jumping through hoops at the last minute to figure out how to handle not being able to attend.

My director reminded me that I had attended & assisted her with a VERY large show last year free of charge, and that she was willing to return the favor. She volunteered to attend the show with or without me and have all the sales & bookings go to me as a Thank You for helping her previously. (She's also in the process of quitting PC and wanted me to have all the bookings from the show. She said she doesn't want them.)

Well, as it turns out Murphy's Law went into effect. I had a contingency plan all lined out to ensure that the host would have a consultant at her house for the cooking show and she just notified me that she needs to reschedule due to a death in the family. She's not going to be here in Japan for the show date. Unfortunate for the host, but kind of a blessing for me. I'm really not feeling up to one last show before the baby's arrival.

ETA: I would NEVER EVER EVER expect someone else fill in, do a demo for me & then bring me the orders. :eek:

byrd1956 said:
So, how would that work in P3? I'm just thing that the show is generated from the original host when you check that the guest is booking. How does this information go into the other consultant's P3 program? Maybe I am trying to think too much and there is an easy explaination....

I thought the same thing also when I started. because you have to enter their Past Host Discount and the name the computer automatically links them. I encountered this when I wanted to give some bookings to my new recruit (b/c I didn't want to keep driving an hour), but i didn't want my original host to loose her benefits.

I have only given away one show in my almost 9 years of doing this, but when I did, it was completely hers. She got 6 bookings off the show and I think it was around $800 sales! But I couldn't do it and it wasn't fair to expect the host to reschedule, so that was my loss.

sarahsellcm said:
To be able to answer this question I have to set the story for you. I am in Sears purchasing a new oven and I get a phone call from a fellow Pampered Chef Consultant. It was 5:10 and she said she needed me to cover a show for her because her daughter was sick. The show was at 6:30 so I had to quickly go home (luckily I had my grandmother with me to watch my kids) and get ready for the show. My fellow consultant said to call her when I get home to tell her what the orders were so she could enter them into P3. I told her that if she was taking the orders I was taking a booking. Is that wrong? I feel like I did the work tonight at the last minute and think I should get something out of it. Am I being selfish with this? She doesn't seem to mind I am taking the one booking (two bookings from the show, she got the one before hand and I got the one at the show by asking) but I just want to make sure I am not being mean. I personally would give the entire show the whoever covered it for me because they did the work but that is me not what everyone would do.
ANy feedback greatly appreciated.

Sarah

I also think you should have gotten the show and any bookings at the show, you did the work. I actually had a show booked and two of my kids got sick. Rather than cancelling it I gave it to another PC girl I knew. I didn't ask her to do it for me and I take credit for it, I gave it to her. She got credit for the show (just over 300) and any bookings which I didn't even bother to ask if she had gotten any because I did consider them to be hers. I think you are in the right and if anything very generous by letting her get hosting credit for a show she didn't do. Whose to say you didn't make the show higher and get extra bookings she may not have gotten?

If someone needed to cover a show for me at the last minute I would expect them to take everything. And besides, if someone wants to book a show they'll expect it to be with you, the person who they are already comfortable with. You shouldn't feel guilty at all.

I'd personally like to know how all this played out.

I am fairly certain that the person submitting the show MUST be the person doing the show. Seriously, before handing over the sales to the other consultant, no matter her "dire" need of the sales, I would contact the Solution Center & ask about it. I'm sure I have seen in the policies & procedures that you can not allow anyone else to do a show for you, in your name. It has to do with the liability insurance that the company carries for each of us.

I think it is very rude & highly unfair of her to think that you should work for her, at the last minute, and then hand over ALL benefits. My husband would be in the same boat as yours - VERY upset - to have me out of the house, working for free, for the benefit of someone else! That is just completely rude!

chefsteph07 said:
I'd personally like to know how all this played out.

me too.................

I personally cannot believe that she would expect you to do the show for her and then give her the sales too. I think that the sales should be yours and the bookings as well. (at least the one you secured) You did the work that night and should be rewarded. She was being rude as well as non-professional.

Sarah,

How did this play out? Did you ever talk to your director, or hospitality director and ask her opinion?

My husband would also have been very upset for allowing this to happen! I think you should get the sales and the booking you secured. You filled in at the last possible minute, at an inconvenience to yourself. You should get some compensation for it!!

Also, my recruiter stresses very often that the booking benefit stays with the host, no matter who the consultant is!!!

shelly.nurse said:
Sarah,

How did this play out? Did you ever talk to your director, or hospitality director and ask her opinion?

My husband would also have been very upset for allowing this to happen! I think you should get the sales and the booking you secured. You filled in at the last possible minute, at an inconvenience to yourself. You should get some compensation for it!!

Also, my recruiter stresses very often that the booking benefit stays with the host, no matter who the consultant is!!!

I don't think we'll find out from Sarah...her name is now in black...which I think means that she didn't renew her subscription, and is no longer on this board.

Oh, thanks for that tip, I am new to this board, so I did not know that!!

<h2>1. Is it common for Pampered Chef consultants to cover shows for each other?</h2><p>Yes, it is common for Pampered Chef consultants to cover shows for each other when one is unable to attend due to personal reasons.</p><h2>2. Is it against company policy to take a booking while covering a show for another consultant?</h2><p>No, it is not against company policy to take a booking while covering a show for another consultant. It is up to the discretion of the consultants involved.</p><h2>3. Is it acceptable to take a booking while covering a show for another consultant?</h2><p>Again, this is a matter of personal discretion. Some consultants may feel that taking a booking while covering a show is fair compensation for the work they are doing, while others may feel it is not necessary.</p><h2>4. Is it wrong to want to receive something for taking a last minute booking?</h2><p>No, it is not wrong to want to receive something for taking a last minute booking. It is important to communicate with the other consultant and come to an agreement that feels fair to both parties.</p><h2>5. Should I give the entire show to the consultant who covered it for me?</h2><p>This decision is ultimately up to you and what you feel is fair. Some consultants may choose to give the entire show to the one who covered it, while others may choose to split the show or keep the booking for themselves. It is important to communicate openly and make a decision that works for both consultants.</p>

1. Is it common for Pampered Chef consultants to cover shows for each other?

Yes, it is common for Pampered Chef consultants to cover shows for each other when one is unable to attend due to personal reasons.

2. Is it against company policy to take a booking while covering a show for another consultant?

No, it is not against company policy to take a booking while covering a show for another consultant. It is up to the discretion of the consultants involved.

3. Is it acceptable to take a booking while covering a show for another consultant?

Again, this is a matter of personal discretion. Some consultants may feel that taking a booking while covering a show is fair compensation for the work they are doing, while others may feel it is not necessary.

4. Is it wrong to want to receive something for taking a last minute booking?

No, it is not wrong to want to receive something for taking a last minute booking. It is important to communicate with the other consultant and come to an agreement that feels fair to both parties.

5. Should I give the entire show to the consultant who covered it for me?

This decision is ultimately up to you and what you feel is fair. Some consultants may choose to give the entire show to the one who covered it, while others may choose to split the show or keep the booking for themselves. It is important to communicate openly and make a decision that works for both consultants.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Saturday Gourmet
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
pampchefsarah
  • melissa3026
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • Bren706