1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Friend keeps booking through another consultant...

1. kdangel518

kdangel518 Advanced Member Gold Member

I'm curious as to what your opinions are on this. I try my darndest not to mix business with friendship, but this is irking me for some reason. More like bumming me out I guess.

I have a friend who earlier in the summer said she was going to book a PC show with me for the fall. She ended up booking with another consultant, someone she had previously booked a party through and had cancelled (the original party was booked prior to me becoming a consultant) I was a little bummed at first because we had talked about setting a date and unexpectedly she went with the other consultant, but I got over it pretty fast- figured maybe she was making up for the other consultant's lost show.

Now she is talking about continuing to book with her- doing a party over the summer. This is what's bothering me the most. She knows I am trying hard to build my biz and I'm surprised and taken back a little that she would take her biz to someone else vs. a friend.

Any advice? TIA!

Sep 28, 2009
  2. loreo

loreo Banned

It's hard dealing with friends sometimes. I've had some who were great and got it and others who felt they could really take advantage. I much prefer to do shows for people out of my circle of friends. I also have more confidence in host coaching and closing the show with other people.

Sep 28, 2009
  3. ShellBeach

ShellBeach Veteran Member

That would bum me out, too. Have you told her your feelings are hurt, and asked her why she booked with someone else?

Sep 28, 2009
  4. raebates

raebates Legend Member Staff Member

I can understand your feelings. It could be that she feels a loyalty toward the other consultant. If she's a good friend, ask her. Otherwise, wish her well on her party and move on. It's possible that you'll out-last the other consultant.

Sep 28, 2009
  5. pc_jessica

pc_jessica Advanced Member

that would totally bum me out too. i know myself and i know that after that i would find it hard to be around her. just my personality. i tend to let things bother me longer than most...and yes i admit it i hold grudges lol
    i would ask her why she decided to go with someone else, and then tell her you would be totally excited to do her next party, maybe next fall when the new products come out again!

Sep 28, 2009
  6. kdangel518

Thanks for all the advice ladies. We fell out of touch a bit towards the end of the summer, so I'm guessing this other consultant happened to call her- timing is everything, so she scooped her up and got the booking.

We are back in touch now, and I am just building up the nerves to ask her, lol. She is going to be attending a party of mine in November, so I will probably offer her a booking then and see how we proceed from there.

Rae- I HIGHLY doubt the other consultant is going anywhere, she's been TPC for a number of years now! ;) I'm actually bummed I didn't make it to her party Saturday- I had a party of my own. I wanted to see her show :)

Sep 28, 2009
  7. chefann

chefann Legend Member Gold Member

If the other consultant has been a TPC achiever, maybe your friend thought her sales, and therefore her host benefits, would be higher with that consultant instead of you. Also, if you're relatively new, she might not picture you as the PC Lady in her head. Sure, you were discussing it, but "out of sight, out of mind" as they say. If she's a good friend, maybe you can make a joke about it - and mention that you had really hoped to come to the show to get tips from a seasoned consultant that you could use to make your show better. That will help communicate that you're planning to continue with PC and will be available for future shows.

Sep 28, 2009
  8. chefann

chefann Legend Member Gold Member

And, not to play devil's advocate or anything, but maybe your friend just feels a real sense of loyalty to the other consultant. If you look at the situation from that consultant's perspective, then you getting the booking could be interpreted as stealing her customer/past host.

Sep 28, 2009
  9. kdangel518

Ann- I get that part of it too, and if that's the way my friend is feeling, loyalty towards this consultant, then I would 100% be ok with that. I guess I just need to put myself out there and say "I'd love the opportunity to do a show for you and your group, I know you had a show with consultant XYZ, and I don't want to steal you away from her, but since you're my friend I would love the opportunity!" And just see what she says.

Sep 28, 2009
  10. BethCooks4U

BethCooks4U Legend Member Gold Member

That is perfect!

Sep 28, 2009
  11. kdangel518

Thanks for the reassurance Beth!!

Sep 28, 2009
  12. AJPratt

AJPratt Legend Member Silver Member

Things like this bother me. I think I woul have to say, "Barbara, you expressed interest in hosting a show with me, and it seems like you have changed your mind and I am a little concerned. Is there a particular reason, or something I have done? If I have, whether you date a show with me or not, I would like an opportunity to fix it." And see what she says. Loyalty makes sense. There are a number of reasons that could make sense. Perhaps she will book later.

Sep 28, 2009
  13. AJPratt

AJPratt Legend Member Silver Member

And, fwiw, I always consider Beth to be the voice of reason!

Sep 28, 2009
Have something to add?