• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is It Time to Say Goodbye to My Hairstylist?

S
sfdavis918
Ugh! I just got it done yesterday and it looks awful! Seriously, this is probably the worst haircut I have ever had. It is so bad that I am afraid to have her try to fix it, I'm afraid that she will screw it up even more!

This is not the first time that I guess I have not communicated what I want and gotten something completely different. The other times it still came out ok, so no big deal.

She is a personal friend also, so that is why I haven't just dumped her in the first place. To make matters worse, before I knew she was not good at cutting my hair, I told her that I would trade bookkeeping services for hairstyling. Big mistake! I have completely learned my lesson, no more trade!! Now I feel like I can't stop going to her.

So here is my idea. She normally charges $85 for a haircut.:eek: She also does my color, and I don't know how much she normally charges for that, but from doing her books I think that the average cut and color walks out around $225, with tip. So my idea is to tell her I can no longer afford it. That I need to go to someone cheaper, and charge her for bookkeeping, or she can find someone else to do her books if she wants. (I will try to phrase it nicer than that!)

What do you think? Any other better ideas? I would really like to preserve the friendship. I don't think that she would be really mad or anything, just have hurt feelings. It just makes it worse that we are also doing the trade.

OK, I'm going to go back to crying about my hair. It is so awful that I don't even want to leave the house!!:cry:

My mom is a hairstylist, so I have some knowledge about this... :eek:) But... my answer really depends on this question... is she cutting your hair crooked, or did she just give you a bad style, or a style that doesn't fit for you?

It's actually both. One side is definitely longer than the other and doesn't have the same layers. It sits alot different than the other side. I also told her I wanted to do like the old Jennifer Aniston look with the longer layer on top in kind of a bob and the layer on the bottom just a bit longer and flipping out. She cut it with the top layer only about two inches long. It definitely doesn't suit me, I look like a complete dork!!

Oh noooo!!!!

Yikes... I was hoping to lead you into some sort of reconciliation... but honestly... if she's just not good at her job (i.e. not cutting straight, hair one one side is longer then the other) I would have to advise you to... RUN! Find some excuse to get out of the deal and go find a stylist you can trust! A good stylist will have you walking out looking like a million bucks and feeling spoiled! Don't settle for anything less! It's your money! Tell her your schedule's changing and you don't think you're going to have time to do the bookeeping anymore starting on.... (whatever date you want.) If you still do her book-keeping but won't let her cut your hair she'll know you're avoiding her crappy cuts! I would cut your losses and move on! Telling her you can't "afford" the cuts anymore sounds kindof fake... but I dunno... maybe it could work!!

Whatever you choose, good luck to you!!

Look for people with really nice hair and ask them who their stylist is, and you can't go wrong!

Love,

Brandi

I don't have any advise...I am still choking over the price.

chefheidi2003 said:
I don't have any advise...I am still choking over the price.
Um...me too!

I pay $35 and that INCLUDES my tip AND my eyebrows getting waxed!

I color my own hair...just don't have the $$ to have her do it!

ETA: I just noticed you are in CA...prices must be way higher! How the heck do normal people afford that!??

Sarah, my heart goes out to you <<<<hug>>>>! Bad haircuts can ruin your week. It sounds like what you're planning to say is honest and straight-forward. She may not be happy at first, but it's the best thing to do.That said, I'll be sharing your (soon-to-be-former) hairdresser's fees with The Furry Guy. He doesn't mind my $14 haircut charge, but the $54 color/cut makes him twitch. Of course, I know what he'll say--"Crazy people don't count." That's his response to most of my "see, mine isn't so bad" comments. :)

Sarah, just do yourself a favor...when you pick a new hair dresser don't let it be a bald guy...I did that one time when I was in the AF just because it was cheap...well trust me I got what I paid for...the next day I went back and had the lady fix it...worst part was I had pretty long hair and all I wanted was for him to trim it straight across, NO LAYERS...and he couldn't even do that. Sorry didn't mean to hijack but that is the only advise that I could give.

I will admit she is the highest I have seen in our smaller size town. The going rate is $50. Color is usually another $50-$75 more. Her salon is higher end. That being said though, she is booked weeks in advance as well as the rest of the people in her salon. The rest charge $75. I know it's crazy!

I truly can't afford her if I had to pay her. And truth be told, I could really use the money that the bookkeeping would bring in too. I know that I am actually loosing out on the deal because I only get my hair done every six-eight months, but do all of her bookkeeping, about 10hrs per month.

How is she booked weeks up and charges so much (I pay 70 for cut and colour with foils) and she sucks at cutting? How does she pull that OFF???

Since this is not the first time that she has messed up your do, I think that you need to tell her that you can't afford her...do you realize that since you are only getting your hair done every 6-8 months you are making about $3.20/hour if you get it done every 8 months and about $4.20/hour if you get it done every 6 months...she is making a killing on that.

Not that I needed to do the calculations for you since you are the one doing the books.

Let her know that you 1. need the money from the bookkeeping and 2. since you need the money, you definitely can't afford her. Also let her know that you don't want to take one of her valuable spots, so you're going to have to back out of the swap deal.

KellyTheChef said:
Um...me too!

I pay $35 and that INCLUDES my tip AND my eyebrows getting waxed!

I color my own hair...just don't have the $$ to have her do it!

ETA: I just noticed you are in CA...prices must be way higher! How the heck do normal people afford that!??
I hear John Kerry can get you into his shop.

Last edited:
sfdavis918 said:
I will admit she is the highest I have seen in our smaller size town. The going rate is $50. Color is usually another $50-$75 more. Her salon is higher end. That being said though, she is booked weeks in advance as well as the rest of the people in her salon. The rest charge $75. I know it's crazy!
Actually, I think you found a solution. You can always tell her that you had an occaision where you needed your hair styled and you couldn't get in to see her when you needed to, so you went to another salon and that you liked the person who styled your hair and you would like to give her/him a trial run. Let me tell you that regardless of your relationship, your stylist would rather you be honest or seeing someone else than to be continually unhappy with her. It will also free up the time for someone who does want her to do their hair. They have heard it all before so don't worry, just be honest and polite. I would also say, "I realize this makes things awkward for our business arrangement. I would be happy to work with you to come up with a new arrangement or do your accounting for a month while you look for someone else."

BTW: My hair is now pink underneath!

You know... I'm under the impression that everyone should just do their hair like mine... just get an electric razor and slap on the #2 blade... and just well... go to town! Now, I know most women won't really find it too appealing on them... but I won't judge you if you do =P AND you'll save a ton a money on haircuts... I paid 20 dollars for my razor 2 years ago, and it cuts just as well as the day I bought it, and it leaves my hair looking dead sexy LOL!!

It worked for Persis Khambatta.http://j9designs.com.au/persis/images/homeimage.jpg

Well, where I used to work clients would occasionally like to "barter" for our services... the owner would tell them that her book keeper and the IRS was not real happy with that and that is how we avoided these type of situations. Without lying too much, could you tell her something similar--or maybe "I'm trying to account for my time better and finding that I am over tapped... I really would prefer if we could do an hourly billing arrangement." The other factor is, how good of a friend is she? I don't think you should sacrifice your hair to save a friendship, but depending on how close you are you may be able to have a more frank discussion and maybe solve some things. Honestly, I would prefer to hear in a nice way if someone wasn't happy with the service that I provided so that I could try and fix it, or if not refer them to someone else. Good luck.

OMG I cannot express how badly I feel for you. I cannot believe she left two inches on the top layer. I am sure it's very difficult for you to even style it. I would definitely TELL HER you are not happy. I would definitely not go back to have her fix it because she could screw it up even more. I would find someone else's hair that you like, walk up to them and ask them where they go. That is the best way to find a good hairstylist. AND you should ALWAYS bring in a pic. Rip one out of a mag or print one out and bring it in. You basically wanted the shag cut it sounds like. Just a warning....sometimes it is not possible to remain a friendship because the stylist has hurt feelings..... but she is not the one walking around with a bad hair cut!Good luck, and hopefully it will work out for you!

1. How can I tell if it's time to say goodbye to my hairstylist?

The first sign that it may be time to switch hairstylists is if you consistently have bad experiences with your current one. This can include receiving a haircut or color that is not what you asked for, feeling uncomfortable during the appointment, or not being satisfied with the end result. If these issues continue to happen, it may be time to consider finding a new hairstylist.

2. What should I do if I just got a bad haircut from my hairstylist?

If you just received a bad haircut, the first step is to communicate your concerns with your stylist. Explain what you don't like about the cut and see if they can fix it. If you're afraid they may make it worse, you can also seek out another stylist for a second opinion. It's important to communicate your concerns in a respectful and understanding manner, as your stylist may not have intentionally given you a bad cut.

3. How can I avoid miscommunications with my hairstylist?

To avoid miscommunications with your hairstylist, it's important to communicate clearly and specifically about what you want. Bring pictures or use specific terms to describe the style you're looking for. Additionally, be open to your stylist's suggestions and ask for their professional opinion. This can help ensure that you are both on the same page and can avoid any misunderstandings.

4. What should I do if my hairstylist is also a personal friend?

If your hairstylist is also a personal friend, it can make the situation more challenging. However, it's important to prioritize your satisfaction with your hair over your friendship. You can try to communicate your concerns in a kind and understanding manner, and if necessary, seek out a different stylist. It's important to remember that your friendship should not be compromised by a bad haircut.

5. Is it a good idea to offer a trade for hairstyling services?

Offering a trade for hairstyling services can be a risky decision. It's important to make sure that both parties are satisfied with the arrangement and that there is clear communication about expectations and boundaries. If things do not work out, it's important to be open and honest about concerns and potentially seek out a different arrangement or stylist.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
Replies
Views
pamperedlinda
Replies
Views
sk8rgrrl99
  • ahammons
  • General Chat