• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

I Had a Horrible Night - I Ran Over Our Dog, Momo

In summary, the children were playing in their driveway with their dog when their uncle hit and killed the dog. The kids saw the whole thing and were traumatized. The uncle talked to the kids about burying the dog and it was the best thing for them.
jrstephens
When I was pulling in my driveway he went around my FIL truck and ran right under my car. My FIL moved him before Luke came around front and saw him. They were bringing Luke home, and Russell had not gotten home yet from football practice. I have cried all night; and off & on this morning. I cannot stop it seems!!

We told Luke that Momo left like Fred (my inlaws cat that ran away) and was not coming back. I could not tell him I ran over him, plus, he would not understand anyway. Luke stood at the door last night calling him and blew up balloons to give him when he came home:(

It is just awful!!:( Please pray for us to get through this.:(

I know some people will think this sounds crazy but until you have loved an animal you do not know how much it hurts to loose one. We got Momo right after Luke was born.

Ok. I have to stop now b/c I am at work and I cannot cry anymore than I already have. I did not bring any more make up with me.

Oh, Jennifer, I am sooooo very sorry. Try to keep your chin up. I will say a prayer for all of you.

Jennifer,

I'm so sorry!! I know when you lose a pet it hurts but when you have a child who is missing them it is even worse. We had a cat run away and my daughter would tell me how much she missed Buddy for a long time after that. It just broke my heart so I know a little what you are feeling.

{{{hugs}}} My sympathies Jennifer.

Jennifer - I am so sorry! I know how hard it is to lose a much loved pet - and how hard it is when you have a toddler who is missing that pet also! Hugs and Prayers sent your way today! And some hope that it is a busy workday - so you can get your mind off it for a few hours!

I'm so sorry Jennifer! :( And though it hurts, you will heal and I'll pray for God's peace for you and your family! I'm not going to pretend to understand your pain, but I hope you will not blame yourself, because you had NO control over the situation! I will pray for your son and you especially! God Bless! Hang in there Girl, we love you!:)

Last edited:
I'm so sorry Jennifer! :( And though it hurts, you will heal and I'll pray for God's peace for you and your family! I'm not going to pretend to understand your pain, but I hope you will not blame yourself, because you had NO control over the situation! I will pray for you son and you especially! God Bless! Hang in there Girl, we love you!:)

I'm so sorry Jennifer! :( And though it hurts, you will heal and I'll pray for God's peace for you and your family! I'm not going to pretend to understand your pain, but I hope you will not blame yourself, because you had NO control over the situation! I will pray for you son and you especially! God Bless! Hang in there Girl, we love you!:)

{{{{hugs}}}} I am so sorry, I hope the hurt goes away soon.

I'm so sorry!!

In March my 4 children ages 8,6,3,2 and my nephew age 3, were playing in my MIL driveway with the dogs. They were throwing the ball to Toby (he was my MIL's dog for 10 years) and he would run and get it. We live on a farm and the road deadends so pretty much no traffic except my husbands family and our company work trucks. My husbands uncle comes over the little hill by the driveway at about 60 (speed limit is 25 but you should actually go about 10 because the paved road turns into a gravel road). He hits and kills Toby right infront of all the kids and my MIL. It was the most horrible sight, the kids saw everything and my MIL was screaming and crying. I tried to distract the kids but was also crying.

My husband thought it was very important to let the kids know he was going to bury Toby and afterwards we let the kids put flowers on the grave. I was against it at first, thought it was to much for them, but looking back think it was the best.

Again, I'm very sorry and it will take awhile before you stop crying at the thought, but you are NOT to blame, it was an accident.

Jennifer

I am so sorry Jennifer!

A neighbor ran over one of our dogs in front of our children and it was awful. A total accident but heart wrenching.

I feel your pain and am glad your son didn't see it happen. I am so sorry for you. {{{{{hugs}}}}}

I would find a way to tell him that the dog was hit by a car so he can have closure (don't think I'd tell him anything more specific though). We had a cat who ran away and it took years for the boys to stop looking for him. They always hoped he would come home and we never knew his fate. That's hard too and since you know the truth it will tear your heart out every time he mentions it.

Take care and don't feel guilty. It was an accident.

I am so sorry. I will keep you in my prayers.

I am so sorry to hear this Jen!!! Hugs to you my friend!!

I'm so sorry. It's hard. I'll be thinking of you.

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. Animals can really become part of the family. I will say a prayer for your family.

Donna

Oh, I am SO sorry. I cannot imagine how you must feel, but I want you to try to be very kind to yourself. Ugh. Hugs to you.

I am so sorry (both Jennifers). My grandmother ran over her German Shepard puppy :( . That was before my time but it took her a while before even getting another dog. I had a cat (Kitty) that was the best cat ever. She had the personality of a human! She was so loveable. One day mom let her out and she never came back.:( So like Beth, we never did know what happened to her. We have a lot of new home and building construction around my parents so there we had a lot of coyote running through the woods (the only wooded areas left). I hate to think that way but its the only thing that makes sense. I hope you get though this rather quickly. It does get easier in time. (((HUGS)))

I am so sorry that this happened to you. I have been through this same thing except I was in the car when my mother ran over our dog, I was in kindergarten. It hurt her a lot but we were able to get past it. I have also had my dog run over and while it hurt to find out that my dog was run over I am glad they told me because I knew what happened and didn't keep looking.

I know it is a horrible feeling and we are there for you. Take care of yourself.

{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}

Jennifer, I'm so sorry for you. I know exactly how you feel. Last month our deaf cat (that we rescued from being tossed into a ditch last year as a tiny kitten) got out unbeknown-st to me. I was preparing to go set up at the farmers market and my DD was helping me load up my truck. She didn't tell me that he got out. When I was taking off I felt a bump...thinking it was just a board from the ramp that I was on. I looked back in my rear view mirror and saw him flopping around on the ground (I'm sorry for the details) and went to grab him up. He died in my arms. I was hysterical and then had to leave my DD in tears to fulfill my obligation.Today I have the dastardly deed of having to put down my 6 yr old golden retriever due to neurological problems. My dd went to the vet with me yesterday to hear the news. Now she is crying saying this is the worst summer EVER. I do feel your pain. My thoughts and prayers go out to you.

I've had to try to explain to my kids that I didn't know if our dog would live or die....it's SO hard!!!! I will be praying for you and your family today!!! Lots of HUGS going out to you!!!!

yummy4tummy said:
Today I have the dastardly deed of having to put down my 6 yr old golden retriever due to neurological problems. My dd went to the vet with me yesterday to hear the news. Now she is crying saying this is the worst summer EVER.

I do feel your pain. My thoughts and prayers go out to you.

I am so sorry that you are having to have him put down. I will say a prayer for you and your family, too.

Oh Jennifer I feel for you. You're right until you have lost that special somebody in your life you don't understand the pain. My "babies" are my life and I charish them. {{{{hugs}}}} for you and your little one.

((((((((((((((Jennifer)))))))))

Jennifer,

I am so sorry, and it's not at all crazy how you feel. I have a chihuahua that will be 14 this year and a chow/german shepard mix that will be 12. I dread the day they pass away or I have to have them put to sleep. They were my babies before I had a real one of my own. I used to dress the chihuahua up in clothes all the time. He has a cowboy hat, a rain jacket and boots.

I will be praying for you and your family.

Jennifer

Oh Jennifer....I am so sorry for you and your family. I will keep your family (and you, specifically) in prayer. This will get easier for you... God will get you through this one day, one hour, one minute at a time.

In His love,
{{{{{HUGS}}}}}
Kelly

Jennifer, your family will be in my prayers as well. I can only imagine how you feel. I know if it were one of my babies (my dogs) I would be crushed. I'm so sorry.

Jennifer - so sorry to hear about your dog... :(

This is what we send to pet owners who have lost their pets:

Rainbow Bridge

'There is a bridge connecting Heaven and Earth. It is called the Rainbow Bridge because of its many colors. Just this side of the Rainbow Bridge there is a land of meadows, hills and valleys with lush green grass.
When a beloved pet dies, the pet goes to this place. There is always food and water and warm spring weather. All the animals who have been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. Her bright eyes are intent; her eager body begins to quiver. Suddenly she begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, her legs carrying her faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together, never again to be separated.'

Author Unknown

Im soooo sorry Jennifer. Our pets ARE FAMILY. Losing a pet to me would be the same as losing a family member. There are no words to take away your pain but my prayers are with you and your family. Be strong for your little peanut, he needs you and I hope you have someone to lean on as well, literally....

Dena

janetupnorth said:
This is what we send to pet owners who have lost their pets:

Rainbow Bridge

'There is a bridge connecting Heaven and Earth. It is called the Rainbow Bridge because of its many colors. Just this side of the Rainbow Bridge there is a land of meadows, hills and valleys with lush green grass.
When a beloved pet dies, the pet goes to this place. There is always food and water and warm spring weather. All the animals who have been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. Her bright eyes are intent; her eager body begins to quiver. Suddenly she begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, her legs carrying her faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together, never again to be separated.'

Author Unknown

That was so sweet and of course has me crying again!!

Jennifer, I'm so sorry for your loss and how it happened. . .makes a bad time even worse. I agree with the suggestion that you tell you child(ren) that the dog died. You don't have to go into details but the not knowing just makes it worse.

Valky, sorry about your dog too. We've had to euthanize two of our four pets that have passed. Not fun, but better than having them suffer.

Our 16 year old cat passed away at the beginning of July. Darn animals will break your heart. :(

jrstephens said:
That was so sweet and of course has me crying again!!

Sorry about the crying part. :(

Jennifer -- I'm thinking of you and your family.

janetupnorth said:
Sorry about the crying part. :(

That's ok. Most everything has made me cry today. Doesn't help that I am now coming down with a horrible cold and cannot breath too well!

Ah, Jennifer. I'm so sorry :(

I know people say to wait to get a new pet. When our Bailey died, we had a new pup (same breed) less than 24 hours ... none of us could stand the hole in our hearts!

I am so sorry for your loss. We just lost our 15 year old "weiner" dog Rewind this afternoon and we are lost. My husband and son were not here and in a way I am glad because when my husband retired 3 years ago, they had really become big buds. DH would actually go to McD's to get him a cheeseburger almost every day.

Oh Jennifer, you and your family our in my thoughts and prayers.

It is so hard to lose a pet. I know I lost my cat of 18 years 2 years ago, but the pain is still there every day. I went through a lot of depression afterward. I thought I might have to see the doctor. My cat was my baby. So don't be surprised if it happens to you.

As you can see by my avatar I have a new cat. I saved her life, which makes me feel a little better. Not only did I save her from the shelter, but if I wouldn't have adopted her she would have been put down. She was VERY sick. The vet only gave us a 50/50 chance of her living. She had evey kind of worm a cat can have besides multiple infections. As you can see she is very fat a sassy now! I swear she overhead the vet say she wouldn't de-claw her if she was over 10 lbs (Haha)!

Again, I will be thinking of you, and I hope your cold gets better soon. Just don't try to rush getting over it because it does take a lot of time. And of course, you will never forget.

I'm so sorry, Jennifer! (((HUGS))) to you and to everyone else who has had a recent pet issue/death. My heart goes out to all of you as a proud mommy to 2 boys and my only girl - my Black Lab, Molly! :(

Jennifer,

I'm so sorry to hear of this. Please do not blame yourself. For whatever reason, this was his time. He was so fortunate to have a loving home...so many animals don't. It is so hard to lose a pet. They truely become treasured members of our families.

I had to put down my darling little Buster last October and my heart still aches when I think of him. We buried him under a pretty tree in our back yard about 150' away from the house. We are making a memory garden back there with a little park bench. It gives me a sense of peace to go back there
and think of him.

My sympathy and prayers are with you & your family.

One day at a time.

{{{hugs for all}}}

Jennifer--I am really sorry to hear about your loss. I know the good Lord has to have a special place for our sweet animals. I wish there was something that I could say to change things, but I am not able too. Remember the good Lord is always near and He will comfort your heart as well as your family. Something good will happen out of all this, just focus on Jesus! :)

Jennifer, I'm SO sorry to hear what happened...

((( hugs )))

I used to dress the chihuahua up in clothes all the time. He has a cowboy hat, a rain jacket and boots.

My little Buster loved getting new things to wear! My favorite picture is of him in his "Dog Ho" (luau) shirt. Our puppy Rosie won't even wear a collar. She chews them off. I got a girl this time because PetSmart had the cutest halter tops. Oh well...

PaulaP & Valky, My heart goes out to you as well. We all love our pets so much. Their little personalities fill our lives with such unconditional love.

Dog lovers know that there is no one on this earth that is gonna celebrate the way they do when you walk in the door. I have never had a cat, but my "grandcat" runs to the door to greet me when I go to DD's.

Hugs for you all.

Thanks everyone for your continued kind words. I am feeling better today. Luke did not mention it last night. We have a kitten that is a few months old and he was playing with him a lot and was kept distracted.

We do have an option on another dog, but at this point I cannot make the decision to invest so much in another one. One of my friends actually has a son off of our dog that she told me we could have if we wanted him to have a part of Momo. They have also breed the son, and if we want a puppy later on they are going to tell the owners of the female that we get a puppy for free as their part of the breeding instead of them getting anything.

I forget to say the other day that my FIL took Momo and buried him beside my hasband's dog that we lost last year to heart worms. They were always the best of freinds and loved to play together, so, they are together now.

Jennifer-

I know it would have to be hard to think of getting another dog right now. Just keep it in prayer, and if/when you should, it will be obvious to you. It's very nice that you have an option of getting a sibling of Momo's!

Jennifer, I've been in your shoes many times. We've lost so many cats and dogs over the years but everytime, the pain is almost unbearable. We've lost a cat to feline aids, one had a heart attack at our back door and my son found him (horrible Sunday morning for our family), one had urinary blockages and had to have surgery to change him from a male to a female (not joking, that's actually what they did) and then he ran away once he was healed and doing fine. We've lost a dog to bladder cancer, one to lymph node cancer, one had a stroke and one had epilepsy. Right now we have 5 dogs and two cats and we love them dearly. I can't imagine losing another animal right now! The pain is horrible but it does get better with time. I'll keep you in my prayers!

1. How did Momo pass away?

Momo passed away after being accidentally run over in the driveway while Luke's father was moving his truck.

2. How did Luke react to Momo's passing?

Luke was told that Momo had left like Fred (the family cat that ran away) and was not coming back. He stood at the door calling for Momo and even made balloons to give to him when he returned. He may not have fully understood what happened.

3. How are you coping with the loss of Momo?

It has been a difficult time for our family. We have cried all night and morning and it seems like there is no end to the tears. We are trying to stay strong and get through this together.

4. Can you tell us more about Momo?

Momo was a beloved pet that we got right after Luke was born. He was a part of our family and we will always cherish the memories we had with him.

5. How can we help?

We appreciate any prayers and support as we try to cope with the loss of Momo. It may seem silly to some, but the love for an animal is real and losing them can be just as painful as losing a human family member. Thank you for understanding.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jrstephens
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
jrstephens
  • jrstephens
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
starrmarie
  • Crystal Patton