• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

I Am Thinking About Using Lapboards. I Refuse to Buy Them From

In summary, people who like lapboards find them helpful for writing, but find them too bulky or expensive to buy pre-made. People who don't like lapboards find them difficult to write on because they don't have a hard surface.
wadesgirl
Gold Member
I am thinking about using lapboards. I refuse to buy them from Merrill as they are way expensive and white (I don't want to have to clean them from grubby hands). I found some on expressyourselfonline.com which I would be willing to pay for. I know others have made their own out of binders but I cannot find binders cheap enough not just to buy the premade ones from express yourself (they also have a business card pocket).

I just wanted to see who uses lapboards and loves them, who used them and hates them and your thoughts on carry that much extra stuff plus the cost.

I have ran into a lot of people lately who are finding it awkward to write on their laps and I went to a candle party that had them and really started to like them.

Re: Lapboards?My personal plan is to take advantage of back to school sales... Last year my son needed 6 one inch binders for Jr high I got them for 99 cents each at walmart. Hoping to find them again.

Re: Lapboards?I've started looking in the school supplies but I really want the ones that have the clear pocket on the front. Most of the cheap ones don't have a clear pocket.

Re: Lapboards?I love them! I got them at the dollar store. They were the ones that open up and there's a clip on one side and a pocket on the other. I was using them that way, but found them too bulky, so I cut the clip side off and only use the side with a pocket. Mine are burgundy, dark blue and dark green. I think I paid 50 cents each, or something like that. Pretty much cleaned out the store!! LOL

Part of me wishes I had of waited and got nicer ones, but they do the job! No room for a business card though....that would have been a good idea!!

Re: Lapboards?Hi wadesgirl, I just wanted to let you know I have those from Merrill and I haven't had issues with that keeping them clean.

The other thing I do get all the time is how nice and professional they look and everyone loves how they have a hard surface to write on and makes it easy for them when making out orders. I love how they can hold business card, order form, catalog, recipe card, and I can put specials on the back side of it and i usually put something about recruiting inbehind the order form that they look at when they take out the catalog and order form.

I only have 12 and I have been able to get by with that many I haven't had to purchase more then that and it ususally works our great wth the number of people that come.

I hope that helps you

Re: Lapboards?I also have the white ones from Merrill. I haven't had an issue with cleanliness (only my daughters deciding they had to draw on them with my red pens). They are very nice. I use the middle section in the STG Carry-all tote. I use all 3 parts to the Show-to-Go system. So it doesn't add to what I take.

Re: Lapboards?The lapboards are the best. They make you look very very professional and worth every penny. Successful shows are the ones that are visuallly gorgeous with a whole lot of personality.

Re: Lapboards?Oh cool Kearns, I never thought about putting them in my show on the go system. I have it and I have kinda got away from using it as much cause it seems so heavy on my shoulder since my car accident but. Oh yes congrats on your directorship !!!! Also have you tired to use Mr clean easer on the red pen? It might work.

Re: Lapboards?Someone posted an idea they had for lapboards and this is what I do too. I got a very sturdy piece of cardboard, cut it down to fit inside a sheet protector, wrapped it up with construction paper and placed that inside the sheet protector. Now I can slip host info for whatever month I want in the sheet protector. I put my business cards on the outside of each guest packet so I don't worry about the card cover.
Hope that helps. I'll have to learn how to post pics so I can show you all!

Re: Lapboards?If you have a Costco - I'd check there.You can get a 6 pack of 1/2 inch binders at Costco for $6-7. I then got the Pampered Chef sticker from Merrill and placed it on the bottom section. The only issue I had and a warning for everyone is --- I was leaving them in my car to be ready for a show and they wrinkled due to the heat!!

Re: Lapboards?I think you can get business card pockets that are sticky. They're meant to be used on binders and things that don't have a BC holder. I used to use cut down binders, but stopped because of the weight. You do have to be careful when you cut them apart so as not to split the vinyl so that the cardboard starts to show. And if you have one, use a scrapbooking corner rounder on the cut corners so they don't poke your guests.

Re: Lapboards?Found 'em!
http://www.officemax.com/omax/catalog/productListingTemplate.jsp?category_Id=cat990081&history=9snlx3xx|region~1^categoryName~Binder%2BAccessories^categoryId~cat990081^parentCategoryID~cat_515^prodPage~10&queryString=sub_attr_name~1^refineName~Type^refineValue~Business+cards^

Re: Lapboards?I made my own...around back to school time I was able to get the 3 ring binders with POCKETS inside on the front and back and with the LARGE CLEAR POCKET on the outside of the front and back.

I cut them apart (carefully so the cardboard isn't exposed) and used a nail file on the sharp edges so they wouldn't hurt anyone.

I keep the color host benefits page in the large clear pocket (tried to do the monthly thing...but changing it out every month was a PITA) and then on the other side they get a catty, order form, and my business card on one of the kitchen tips cards from 2008 Magnetic Football Schedules | House of Magnets

I found the binders on sale for $1 each...so I have 20 boards that cost me $10!!

Re: Lapboards?I have the Merrill ones, and I keep going back and forth on them. I have 15 (had 18 but 3 got legs), and that seems to be plenty. I put the monthly guest special in the back, and then a catalog & order form in the 1/2 pocket and my business card on a magnet in the BC pocket. I tell them they can take everything home except the lap board and pen, and tell them to put the magnet on their fridge b/c they're going to go home and remember that they really needed that basting brush and forgot to order it (or whatever I have in my hand).

I am wondering if I make my job look too hard, so I'm going to try just catalogs and order forms for the summer and see how it goes. I use the table-top flip chart to show the specials anyway, so I will continue to use that, and then I only have to carry 3 bags - the New Consultant Tote, the Carry-All Tote and my briefcase (with catalogs, order forms, pens, laptop, drawing slips, etc.).

Re: Lapboards?Kelly and Ann, I love those ideas, I saved them on my desktop. I've been needing a conversion chart like that but what a great idea and it's really worth it. I think I'll have to get some. Maybe I'll talk to some of the gals in my cluster and get the discount!

Re: Lapboards?
cathyskitchen said:
I have the Merrill ones, and I keep going back and forth on them. I have 15 (had 18 but 3 got legs), and that seems to be plenty. I put the monthly guest special in the back, and then a catalog & order form in the 1/2 pocket and my business card on a magnet in the BC pocket. I tell them they can take everything home except the lap board and pen, and tell them to put the magnet on their fridge b/c they're going to go home and remember that they really needed that basting brush and forgot to order it (or whatever I have in my hand).

I am wondering if I make my job look too hard, so I'm going to try just catalogs and order forms for the summer and see how it goes. I use the table-top flip chart to show the specials anyway, so I will continue to use that, and then I only have to carry 3 bags - the New Consultant Tote, the Carry-All Tote and my briefcase (with catalogs, order forms, pens, laptop, drawing slips, etc.).
Right now I have catalogs in a "report" binder type thing I got at the dollar tree. It was 6 for a $1. But they bend easily, tear, get yucky, etc. Plus I've noticed a lot of people needing something hard to write on. All I put in the catalog is an order form. If I used the laptop boards, I would put the host benefits flyer in it since I already use the monthly specials in my fliptop chart.

Re: Lapboards?The only reason I use the lapboards anymore is because people say they need something to write on. I'm thinking of just telling them that I'll fill out their order forms for them, and have them just circle or "tab" their catalogs with the little Merrill tabs, since they seem to order more if you just let them run hog wild with the catalog instead of writing it out and scribbling half of it out when they realize how much they just ordered! ;)

cathyskitchen said:
The only reason I use the lapboards anymore is because people say they need something to write on. I'm thinking of just telling them that I'll fill out their order forms for them, and have them just circle or "tab" their catalogs with the little Merrill tabs, since they seem to order more if you just let them run hog wild with the catalog instead of writing it out and scribbling half of it out when they realize how much they just ordered! ;)
You just reminded me that I got tabs to use at my shows last weekend and I forgot them at home!

Re: Lapboards?Everyone loves those tabs, but beware if there are little kids at your shows - they love "stickers" and will use up everyone's sheets by the end of the show (GRR!).

cathyskitchen said:
Everyone loves those tabs, but beware if there are little kids at your shows - they love "stickers" and will use up everyone's sheets by the end of the show (GRR!).

I'm such a sucker for little kids. I always let them have my pens, my tickets, what ever! I just bought some cheap packs at Walmart for right now to see how they go over.

Re: Lapboards?I know, me, too! ;) I should have a "kids stuff" packet for keeping kids occupied. I used to hand them the kids tools, but we don't carry them anymore, and there's not much else I can give them (maybe the baker's roller?!).

cathyskitchen said:
I know, me, too! ;) I should have a "kids stuff" packet for keeping kids occupied. I used to hand them the kids tools, but we don't carry them anymore, and there's not much else I can give them (maybe the baker's roller?!).

My cousin had a show for me yesterday and her 5 year old daughter LOVES PC! She kept looking and playing with all my products telling me "My mommy has this!". She loved playing with the bakers roller and the tongs (she called them chop sticks!). She even remembers the first show I did for her mom last year - she tells me every time she sees the deluxe cheese grater and says that we put chocolate in it at her mom's party!

cathyskitchen said:
The only reason I use the lapboards anymore is because people say they need something to write on. I'm thinking of just telling them that I'll fill out their order forms for them, and have them just circle or "tab" their catalogs with the little Merrill tabs, since they seem to order more if you just let them run hog wild with the catalog instead of writing it out and scribbling half of it out when they realize how much they just ordered! ;)

I attended a show where the PC consultant handed out a wish list that listed all of the products, NOT an order form, and told us to mark anything and everything we wanted. At the end, while she was cleaning up she handed out order forms and said she'd be happy to helps us "narrow down the wish list, or tell you how to get it for free!" When we met with her, she helped fill out the order form. I know everyone at our table had a wish list with lots of marks, but only one clean order form. We could take the wish list home to remind us of the things we wanted to order later, too, which is nice. It was a good "in" for talking about hosting, and what things she could get free for hosting.

1. Can I use lapboards for cooking and baking?

Yes, lapboards are versatile and can be used for both cooking and baking. They provide a stable surface for food preparation and can also be used as a cutting board.

2. Are lapboards safe to use with hot dishes?

Yes, lapboards are made from high-quality materials that can withstand heat. However, it is always important to use caution and not leave hot dishes on the lapboard for extended periods of time.

3. Can I customize a lapboard to match my kitchen decor?

Yes, many lapboards come in a variety of colors and designs to match different kitchen styles. Some even offer the option to personalize with a name or monogram.

4. How do I clean and maintain my lapboard?

Lapboards are easy to clean and maintain. Simply wipe them down with a damp cloth and mild soap after each use. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasives as it can damage the surface of the lapboard.

5. Can I use lapboards for outdoor cooking or grilling?

Yes, lapboards are great for outdoor cooking and grilling as they provide a clean and stable surface for food preparation. Just make sure to clean and dry the lapboard thoroughly after each use to prevent any damage or discoloration.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• sunset7435
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
scottcooks
  • esavvymom
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
mrssyvo
  • jesusluvsu2005