• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Long Before They Suggest It Here?

In summary, Santa is encouraged to say "Ha! Ha! Ha!" because "Ho! Ho! Ho!" is considered offensive to women.
raebates
Staff member
In Sydney, Australia, they are encouraging Santas to say "Ha! Ha! Ha!" because "Ho! Ho! Ho!" is considered offensive to women.

Santa has always said HO HO HO!!! If a women thinks it is offensive .....she must have a personable problem!!!

Last edited:
LOL Heard that on the radio this morning!

hmmmmHe He He - nope sounds to sinister

Hi Hi Hi - nope not catchy enough

Hu Hu Hu - either pronounced like "who" and you sound like an owl or pronounced "Huh" and you sound like you're out of shape.

Hmmmmm what will they possibly come up with next!! LOL I don't like santa anyway. My kids don't believe in the tooth fairy or the easter bunny either!

Debbie :D

hmmm, I suspect KG ought to be weighing in on this one shortly....

What do you expect when people find the word Christmas offensive? They will always find something to complain about when it come to celebrating Christmas, that's my opinion anyway. I say if they are offended, then don't celebrate and let us say HO HO HO Merry Christmas if we want to and I won't be offended if they don't say it back, ha! I will just call them a Scrooge under my breath!! HA!

DebbieSAChef said:
He He He - nope sounds to sinister

Hi Hi Hi - nope not catchy enough

Hu Hu Hu - either pronounced like "who" and you sound like an owl or pronounced "Huh" and you sound like you're out of shape.

Hmmmmm what will they possibly come up with next!! LOL I don't like santa anyway. My kids don't believe in the tooth fairy or the easter bunny either!

Debbie :D

Same here! Coca Cola gets enough promotion already... :)

What women would be offended by Santa's laugh? Geesh...

A ho.

LOL.

Utterly ridiculous.

It just amazes me that the ranks of the Perpetually Offended keeps growing exponentially.

Did you hear about the dyslexic atheist who sold his soul to Santa?

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Did you hear about the dyslexic atheist who sold his soul to Santa?
Good one!! :) I agree, those easily offended always give more of a spot light to what they despise.

Yes, just heard that one awhile back on here... ;)

Hey if the HO fits......

I'm not big on santa myself but... sheesh... c'mon now! Do these ladies really think some guy in a santa costume is truly calling them a "ho ho ho" in a derrogatory sense? To each their own! If they hear santa calling them a "ho ho ho" and they don't like it, then my suggestion would be not to go to activities involving santa clause. Duh.

Now, I've got to wonder... will they next be renaming the garden tool commonly known as the hoe? Will we stop hoeing our gardens next? When there's real hate in this world and real oppression and serious problems.... for folks to take up arms over what a mythological/fictional person says?... really gets my panties in a twist.

If they're offended, then there must be a kernel of truth to them being called a Ho. :)IMO, this is another example of a modern definition/usage of a word affecting usages that are perfectly legitimate.

lkprescott said:
Now, I've got to wonder... will they next be renaming the garden tool commonly known as the hoe? Will we stop hoeing our gardens next?

When there's real hate in this world and real oppression and serious problems.... for folks to take up arms over what a mythological/fictional person says?... really gets my panties in a twist.
old_hoer-2.jpg

I have to admit that I'm tired of that particular term/meaning. Being a fan of lame jokes, I made two "math joke" sweatshirts years ago. For one I cut the math symbol pi out of a pumpkin print fabric and attached it to the front of a gray sweatshirt--Pumpkin Pi. I wore it all during the fall and winter until it started to disintegrate. For the other I cut the letters H & O and a small number 3 out of shiny fabric. I attached them to the front of a red sweatshirt to create HO to the third power (HO cubed). Since Christmas shirts are only worn a few weeks out of the year, it's still in great shape. I dont' wear it, though. A couple of years ago I put it on at the beginning of the holiday season (Thanksgiving weekend, not early October--another pet peeve). That day I received three crude remarks about advertising myself as a ho. That sweatshirt is put away until that particular meaning has gone away.

Sounds like it's a gay shirt.

we call Home Office "HO" all the time...do ya think they are offended!

I have to admit that the occasional post about HO makes me giggle. Sometimes I'm 12 years old.

raebates said:
I have to admit that I'm tired of that particular term/meaning.

Being a fan of lame jokes, I made two "math joke" sweatshirts years ago. For one I cut the math symbol pi out of a pumpkin print fabric and attached it to the front of a gray sweatshirt--Pumpkin Pi. I wore it all during the fall and winter until it started to disintegrate.

For the other I cut the letters H & O and a small number 3 out of shiny fabric. I attached them to the front of a red sweatshirt to create HO to the third power (HO cubed). Since Christmas shirts are only worn a few weeks out of the year, it's still in great shape. I dont' wear it, though. A couple of years ago I put it on at the beginning of the holiday season (Thanksgiving weekend, not early October--another pet peeve). That day I received three crude remarks about advertising myself as a ho. That sweatshirt is put away until that particular meaning has gone away.

I have to admit I'd have had to come up with a good comeback (the notion that folks are incapable of understanding is beyond my understanding at times)... like, "No, I'm just expecting more from the folks that can read"... or "ah, I see someone didn't get beyond basic math"... BTW, I think your HO to the power of 3 is a cute idea!

I'm one for reclaiming original meanings and using the proper terms (wh0re vs ho - hey... if you're going to insult someone, do it right for pity's sake otherwise don't say anything at all) and frankly the 'lazy' way of saying what ho is supposed to intone is just... lazy. But then I think enunciation should also make a comeback.

lkprescott said:
I have to admit I'd have had to come up with a good comeback

I believe my response was, "No, just math literate."

lkprescott said:
I have to admit I'd have had to come up with a good comeback (the notion that folks are incapable of understanding is beyond my understanding at times)... like, "No, I'm just expecting more from the folks that can read"... or "ah, I see someone didn't get beyond basic math"... BTW, I think your HO to the power of 3 is a cute idea!

I'm one for reclaiming original meanings and using the proper terms (wh0re vs ho - hey... if you're going to insult someone, do it right for pity's sake otherwise don't say anything at all) and frankly the 'lazy' way of saying what ho is supposed to intone is just... lazy. But then I think enunciation should also make a comeback.

Are we so wrong for wanting this? the decline of the English Language is frightening.....I am constantly amazed, and disgusted, by the spelling and grammar errors that come home in papers & notes from my son's school. Shouldn't educators have to know how to spell, and also how to structure a sentence, and use correct terminology?

becky is you sayin his teechers dont spell good?BTW, I'm with ya!

raebates said:
becky is you sayin his teechers dont spell good?

BTW, I'm with ya!

Not just his teachers....but also the administrators. These would be people with advanced degrees in Education.:grumpy:

I often feel like sending the papers back to them with corrections made in red pen!

I'd love to hear the response you get from that.

<giggle> I'd love to do that, too, around work.

And what I've found is that the worst offenders are the people who include "excellent written and oral communication skills" in their resume. We usually take that out.

chefann said:

And what I've found is that the worst offenders are the people who include "excellent written and oral communication skills" in their resume. We usually take that out.

My favorites are the ones who misspell "excellent written and oral communication skills." :D

ChefBeckyD said:
Are we so wrong for wanting this? the decline of the English Language is frightening.....I am constantly amazed, and disgusted, by the spelling and grammar errors that come home in papers & notes from my son's school. Shouldn't educators have to know how to spell, and also how to structure a sentence, and use correct terminology?

I know they're not perfect but I do check what they send home and sometimes I'm just appalled. Like the one teacher who incorrectly graded my son's correct answer of his test. I sent it back in with a "what's the correct answer then if his is wrong?"... she apologized, changed it and also his grade but geesh... it was a multiple choice test, so it shouldn't have been that hard to compare to the key and grade correctly. I always check is wrong answers now just to make sure they haven't made a mistake.

chefann said:

Even them what talks and rights good?

raebates said:
I have to admit that the occasional post about HO makes me giggle. Sometimes I'm 12 years old.
That's why we get along so well.

Which reminds me - misuse of "good" and "well" drives me nuts (see my last post.) Ever since Winston wrote that awful television jingle* because "well" didn't rhyme with "should."

Maybe it should have been, "Winston tastes well, but cigarettes are hell."

* - Children, at one time, tobacco companies were allowed to advertise cancer sticks on television and radio.

If you are under forty-three
You may not know
What used to be.
So children, let me put you wise
These signs were used
To advertise.
-Burma Shave

lkprescott said:
it was a multiple choice test, so it shouldn't have been that hard to compare to the key and grade correctly. I always check is wrong answers now just to make sure they haven't made a mistake.

I can honestly say that I can understand the mistake after helping my husband who is a teacher grade papers. After sitting there grading 100 or more papers, they start to run together. That is also why I agree with checking behind them b/c we are all human and make mistakes.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Which reminds me - misuse of "good" and "well" drives me nuts (see my last post.)
One of the things that drives me nuts is misuse of "and I." It's drilled into our heads that it should be "KG and I went to the beach." instead of "KG and me..." but then people think that it's true in every instance. Which it isn't. An easy way to remember is to take out the other person and figure which one, I or me, you'd use in the sentence. Then add the other person back in. Example: He explained to me what the problem was. So the plural would be, "He explained to Rae and me what the problem was."

chefann said:
One of the things that drives me nuts is misuse of "and I." It's drilled into our heads that it should be "KG and I went to the beach." instead of "KG and me..." but then people think that it's true in every instance. Which it isn't. An easy way to remember is to take out the other person and figure which one, I or me, you'd use in the sentence. Then add the other person back in. Example: He explained to me what the problem was. So the plural would be, "He explained to Rae and me what the problem was."

And this would be one of the reasons you and I get along so well. This is one of my pet peeves. It's like fingernails on a chalkboard. :grumpy:

Should we add it to the EEEEUWWWW thread?
:D

No.. .that thread is a gonner... but totally FUN ... I'm not sure bad english and grammer can take over that thread at this point! :)

Are you trying to suggest that someone might hijack a thread around here? :eek:

chefann said:

That one bugs me too - but what really drives me nuts is the misuse of words that are similar in spelling, and have the same/similar pronunciation. For instance - to, two, and too......there, their, and they're.........accept, and except........

You're forgetting to tell us your other peeve from days of yore.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
You're forgetting to tell us your other peeve from days of yore.

That one too!:p

Eats shoots and leaves.
Eats, shoots and leaves.

Either one is fine with me, at least, as long as the panda isn't shooting at me.

ETA - I also hate when people misuse an ellipsis. It is three dots...not two...not four...not seventy five...THREE.

Last edited:
Now you're just picking on Becky! Lay off my gal! :p

BTW.............................................................................

nyaah

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Eats shoots and leaves.
Eats, shoots and leaves.

Either one is fine with me, at least, as long as the panda isn't shooting at me.

ETA - I also hate when people misuse an ellipsis. It is three dots...not two...not four...not seventy five...THREE.

I just happen to like little dots...my pauses are longer than most most peoples:p!

Oh! That reminds me..........then, and than!

......and a big THANK YOU to my friend Ann for defending me!:D

my misuse of ellipsis drives my DH crazy.......as do my long pauses in conversation!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Eats shoots and leaves.
Eats, shoots and leaves.

That's correct, unless the ellipsis is following a complete sentence. In that case, it's four (the ending punctuation plus the ellipsis).

As for apostrophe's, are you telling me that you don't like it when someone sprinkles' them needlessly throughout a sentence? :rolleyes: The author of Eats, Shoots and Leaves devotes a large section of the book to errant apostrophes. Grocers in England seem to be frequent offenders.

<h2>1. How long has the "Ha! Ha! Ha!" suggestion been in place for Santas in Sydney?</h2><p>The suggestion for Santas to say "Ha! Ha! Ha!" in Sydney has been in place since 2017.</p><h2>2. Why is "Ho! Ho! Ho!" considered offensive to women?</h2><p>The phrase "Ho! Ho! Ho!" is considered offensive because it is seen as a derogatory term for women, similar to the word "whore".</p><h2>3. Is it mandatory for Santas in Sydney to say "Ha! Ha! Ha!" instead of "Ho! Ho! Ho!"?</h2><p>No, it is not mandatory for Santas in Sydney to say "Ha! Ha! Ha!", but it is strongly encouraged to avoid any potential offense.</p><h2>4. Are there any other alternatives to "Ho! Ho! Ho!" that Santas can use in Sydney?</h2><p>Yes, some other alternatives that have been suggested for Santas to use in Sydney include "Ha! Ha! Ha!", "He! He! He!", or "Ho! Ho! He!".</p><h2>5. Is the "Ha! Ha! Ha!" suggestion only for Santas in Sydney or in other parts of Australia as well?</h2><p>The suggestion for Santas to say "Ha! Ha! Ha!" instead of "Ho! Ho! Ho!" is mainly in place for Santas in Sydney, but it has also been adopted in other parts of Australia as well.</p>

1. How long has the "Ha! Ha! Ha!" suggestion been in place for Santas in Sydney?

The suggestion for Santas to say "Ha! Ha! Ha!" in Sydney has been in place since 2017.

2. Why is "Ho! Ho! Ho!" considered offensive to women?

The phrase "Ho! Ho! Ho!" is considered offensive because it is seen as a derogatory term for women, similar to the word "whore".

3. Is it mandatory for Santas in Sydney to say "Ha! Ha! Ha!" instead of "Ho! Ho! Ho!"?

No, it is not mandatory for Santas in Sydney to say "Ha! Ha! Ha!", but it is strongly encouraged to avoid any potential offense.

4. Are there any other alternatives to "Ho! Ho! Ho!" that Santas can use in Sydney?

Yes, some other alternatives that have been suggested for Santas to use in Sydney include "Ha! Ha! Ha!", "He! He! He!", or "Ho! Ho! He!".

5. Is the "Ha! Ha! Ha!" suggestion only for Santas in Sydney or in other parts of Australia as well?

The suggestion for Santas to say "Ha! Ha! Ha!" instead of "Ho! Ho! Ho!" is mainly in place for Santas in Sydney, but it has also been adopted in other parts of Australia as well.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
  • pc_jessica
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pc_jessica
  • cookn' katie
  • General Chat
Replies