• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Do You Approach "Maybe" Bookings??

In summary, the expert suggests treating maybes as a yes, getting them talking to see what is hindering them from not doing a show, and using their wording when asking if they have any questions about hosting.
heat123
Silver Member
This is a weak area for me... I alot of get maybes on the Doorprize slips and don't know exaclty how to approach them and then turn them into "Heck yeah, lets do a show!" Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance!

I am weak in this area too... My director says treat them as a yes... but how do I do that??? SO I am wanting suggestions as well....

When they check "maybe" on their door prize slip, I always ask them at c/o...so, you're thinking about having a show. Then, that gets them talking. They then continue to give me excuses or what not, but I always ask when I can contact them to discuss this further. Sometimes, it's before show closing, other times it's a month or two in the future. Then, when that time comes, I call and ask if they've given any more thought to booking a show. We then go from there.

I just called some last night that told me "maybe" almost 6 months ago, but they still haven't had a show with me. So, I was just calling to touch base. One told me to call back in May, and the other I left a message for.

I'm trying to work so hard at getting over my phone phobia, so last night, I just made those calls. Granted, I only spoke to one person (left messages for the others), but it's taking that first step that's always the hardest.

HTH

Treat maybes as a yesI agree with treating maybes as a yes. I also agree with getting them talking to see what is hindering them from not doing a show:

"I noticed you checked maybe on your door prize slip. What month would work best for you to do a show April or May? I have these dates available in April......and these for May....."

If they give you excuses about it's too soon to have a show for them and to call them back in a few months, I usually will try to get them to do a catalog show:

"I understand you're pretty busy and rounding up all your friends and family in between Easter and birthdays can be very difficult. Why not try a catalog show? You get the same great host benefits as if you had a show minus the $15 for opening up your home and paying for a recipe. And you don't have to invite anyone over. You just take the catalogs and orders forms I will give you to friends, family, neighbors, co-workers and anyone else you come into contact with to place an order. It's very simple and you get all your FREE products just for collecting orders. Since Easter is around the corner, now is the perfect time to get your family together and ask them to help you get all the items on your wish list for FREE. I can get this packet in the mail to you as soon as tomorrow morning!"

I have gotten many maybes turned into catalog shows. Those that say call me in 3, 4, 5, 6 months usually don't pan out for me. So I try to get them while the experience of PC is still fresh in their minds. Remember you have lots of great products to offer them for FREE, half price, discounted and a wonderful host special. You are the one doing them a favor!!

Debbie :D

If some how you can get your hands on (Senior Moment here) either it is Belinda Ellsworth or Pat Reinville's tape on "Turn Arounds" it is very helpful.

One tip I got from a tape was use their wording.
"I notice you checked maybe on your prize drawing slip for hosting with the Pampered Chef"
"I was wanting to know if you maybe had questions about what hosting entails or what month were you maybe interested in hosting?"
This works like a charm. I often have host say the month they were interested in right after I ask them.
I hope this helps!

I ask them what they mean by maybe. It usually means that their schedule is crazy now, but they'd consider one in a few months. I make arrangements to call them in the fall, after school's out, etc.

My director says "Does maybe mean that you need more information on what it is like to host a show, or you just don't know when?" By making them pick from those choices it gives you the opportunity to tell them more about how easy it is to host (what you do for them- shop for ingredients, etc) or get their objections. If they don't know when then she has them pick a tentative date for the host to get credit, and calls a month prior to check on the date.

Here is what I do...granted I'm new but it works so far.

At checkout (I check the slips while I'm getting things ready for checkout) I say something like this, "I see you said maybe for hosting a show." What month did you like the host benefits of (of the upcoming 3)...they usually pick one. I then say, "If you mark a date on my calendar today, you can get the host benefit that month and so does tonight's host. If we wait to set a date, she loses the host benefit at your show. Don't worry, if the date you marked doesn't work for you when you check your calendar, let me know and we'll move it by a day or a week."

They so far always mark one down and only change by a week or a day...there is something about them having a date written in your calendar that makes it a committment to them.

janetupnorth said:
...there is something about them having a date written in your calendar that makes it a committment to them.

I agree. I try to get them to choose a date before they leave. I always tell them that my calendar fills up quickly. If we reserve a date they can always change it if it turns out that the one they chose doesn't work for them.

I dont' know what's wrong with me.... I live in a small town .. I have tried some of these things... and NOTHING... I am not sure if it is my verbage or what it is....LOL

Leah, I live in a small town too...make sure you are having fun at your shows...fun is contagious...if people have fun they want to have a show...

What I said about the calendar is true...let your host know ahead of time that the people have to have a date on your calendar when you close for her to get host specials...then the host is more enthusiastic to push them "over the edge" to mark it down...and when it is on your calendar, they are less likely to "cancel" or not set a firm date later. If they can't pick one, I pick one for them, write it on my business card, hand it to them to take home to check their calendar...

Leah, I live in a town that doesn't have a 4-way stop. It's one of those "blink and you'll miss it" towns. There isn't a good-sized town anywhere close. I think one of the keys for those of us in dinky towns is to branch out. I make sure that people know I'm willing to travel. I made the decision about how far I feel I can go and still make it worth my time and money. Generally, if it's within an hour and a half or so of my home, I'm there. People at my shows know this. This is what, over time, has happened:person A lives in our little town. Person B from the next town over comes to her show. She books a show.At person B's show, person C, from a town 45 minutes away, books a show.Person D lives an hour away from my home. She came to person C's show. She heard that I'm from podunk, but I mention that I'm willing to travel, so she books a show.I have customers from all over, now. I have several customers in larger cities. They think of me as their PC Lady, and tell others about me. Give it some time.

I had a guest yesterday check maybe on the DPDS. When she came to check out I said (almost in a teasing way), "so, what date are we choosing for your show?" And sure enough she booked right then. She said, "I knew you'd talk me into it." I think she WANTED me to "talk her into it"!

Bexs50 said:
I had a guest yesterday check maybe on the DPDS. When she came to check out I said (almost in a teasing way), "so, what date are we choosing for your show?" And sure enough she booked right then. She said, "I knew you'd talk me into it." I think she WANTED me to "talk her into it"!

For some reason some people just seem to need "our permission" to host a show...like they aren't worthy until WE want to do a show with them...

I had a couple of people before Christmas mark maybe on their slips. They said they were interested in the spring, maybe March. So in February, I emailed them, saying that at so & so's show, you mentioned you wanted a March show & gave them my first 4 or 5 dates. They both booked for early March & those shows helped me earn the HWC products!

Before, I used to always say that you were thinking of having a show, etc. & they would always come up with a reason for not having one when I followed up with them. But with those two, I just assumed they were going to have one & told them my open dates when I followed up & it worked! So I'm going to use that approach from now on!

When any of the guests at my shows check maybe, I just ask when they would like to hold their show.

I don't say "I see you checked maybe" I just ask like she said yes.

HTH-
Kelly

Maybe's are "talk me into it".

I ask this way, "I see you indicated you might be interested in helping out (current host) by gathering your own friends together. I wasn't sure if maybe meant you didn't know when you wanted your show or what kind of recipe you wanted to have."
I've only seen one time that it backfired and the lady said, "It meant I didn't know if I wanted to have a show at all!" Usually the questions distract them from wondering if they want to have one or not and they'll answer, then you can offer them a variety of dates or recipes.

I just ask"When would you "maybe" like to book your show?" That always gets a chuckle and then they tell me why this month isn't good so we start looking at dates a couple months down the line. Works like a charm.But just FYI you guys, the new survey slips don't have maybe anymore. They just have check boxes.Haven't tried them yet, so I am not sure how they'll work. I think I am going to tell people that they can check even if they aren't sure, so I give them permission to check the box even if they are a maybe.R

I always try and get the maybes on the calendar -- I alway tell them that we can change it if we need to, but by getting it on the calendar the host can order the host special at the show. Out of 17 bookings from shows I've had so far (I'm still in my first 60 days), I've only had ONE person not give me a date on the calendar. And so far, no one has canceled or even changed their date (I've had a few ask to adjust the time of the show).

RachelNguyen said:
I just ask

"When would you "maybe" like to book your show?"

That always gets a chuckle and then they tell me why this month isn't good so we start looking at dates a couple months down the line. Works like a charm.

But just FYI you guys, the new survey slips don't have maybe anymore. They just have check boxes.

Haven't tried them yet, so I am not sure how they'll work. I think I am going to tell people that they can check even if they aren't sure, so I give them permission to check the box even if they are a maybe.

R

I've started using these new slips, but I've been really bad about asking for bookings the past couple of months. I think I'll mention like you suggested that even if they aren't sure, they can check the box.

janetupnorth said:
Leah, I live in a small town too...make sure you are having fun at your shows...fun is contagious...if people have fun they want to have a show...

What I said about the calendar is true...let your host know ahead of time that the people have to have a date on your calendar when you close for her to get host specials...then the host is more enthusiastic to push them "over the edge" to mark it down...and when it is on your calendar, they are less likely to "cancel" or not set a firm date later. If they can't pick one, I pick one for them, write it on my business card, hand it to them to take home to check their calendar...

I even have three little boxes that I put on the coffe table or in a visbal spot for the guest to see.... when I did that the first time I got three bookings at one show..... I brought those same three boxes to another show I accidently mentioned what they are for.... and no takers...... But I brought them to a bridal fair that I did about two weeks ago and got a show from it...... I am having fun.... laughing etc... I am not sure if its the verbage that I am using or not...but I did buy booking stragies from the pro's... so I have taken quite a bit of verbage from their and applied it to my shows and it has helped a little bit... I have an ad running in the local paper..... I have had a few calls from it... one of them was about doing a booth at the county fair in August. But If you have anymore suggestions... PLEASE SEND THEM my way!!!

raebates said:
Leah, I live in a town that doesn't have a 4-way stop. It's one of those "blink and you'll miss it" towns. There isn't a good-sized town anywhere close. I think one of the keys for those of us in dinky towns is to branch out. I make sure that people know I'm willing to travel. I made the decision about how far I feel I can go and still make it worth my time and money. Generally, if it's within an hour and a half or so of my home, I'm there. People at my shows know this. This is what, over time, has happened:

Person A lives in our little town. Person B from the next town over comes to her show. She books a show.

At person B's show, person C, from a town 45 minutes away, books a show.

Person D lives an hour away from my home. She came to person C's show. She heard that I'm from podunk, but I mention that I'm willing to travel, so she books a show.

I have customers from all over, now. I have several customers in larger cities. They think of me as their PC Lady, and tell others about me. Give it some time.

I have traveled an hour to do a show, and i have driven two hours to do another show.... I knwo their is a couple of other consutlants in the area but they really dont do anything with the business... I have one recurit... and I am working with two others.... possibly three. But I need some serious verbage here..... help please

hmm sounds like I should just treat them as yeses, assume they want to do one and ask which month works for them and see if I book them with my follow up call! Thanks for your suggestions everyone, I will let ya know how it goes!

Now here is something that I was looking at... the NEW DPDS that came out their year do not have yes,no or maybe just an option to check the box if they would like more information about hosting a show... how do you handle that one?

RachelNguyen said:
I just ask

"When would you "maybe" like to book your show?"

That always gets a chuckle and then they tell me why this month isn't good so we start looking at dates a couple months down the line. Works like a charm.

But just FYI you guys, the new survey slips don't have maybe anymore. They just have check boxes.

Haven't tried them yet, so I am not sure how they'll work. I think I am going to tell people that they can check even if they aren't sure, so I give them permission to check the box even if they are a maybe.

R

Here's a suggestion on the new DPRS Mommyhugz1978!

I don't look at my slips until I get home from the show!
As each person checks out, I ask them if they are interested in hosting their own show......I'm always surprised at the "maybe's" and "no's" that ended up booking! Just ask everyone! I think if you go into it looking at some as potential hosts and some not, that attitude may be conveyed to the guest/potential host.

I used the new DPDS at a Bridal fair a couple of weeks ago...... and i didnt' really look at them until I was making customer care calls..... But asking everyone would go a long ways.

ChefBeckyD said:
I don't look at my slips until I get home from the show!
As each person checks out, I ask them if they are interested in hosting their own show......I'm always surprised at the "maybe's" and "no's" that ended up booking! Just ask everyone! I think if you go into it looking at some as potential hosts and some not, that attitude may be conveyed to the guest/potential host.

I was helping my director at a fundraiser once and this exact thing happened. We did the draw separate, so I hadn't seen the slips and I just asked each person as they came up to order. I ended up checking maybe and yes on two order forms that later we found out put no on their slips.

Just ask everyone and that way no one will feel left out!

I did happen to ask everyone at check out (for the first time at my last show) and that's where they took the hosting info sheet and said "maybe". That's how this whole thread got started really. I was just curious how everyone handles their maybes? Now I just need to get them to book a date!

What do you suggest to say to the people who leave everything unmarked? I just did an expo and 80% of the slips were not even marked.

Hmm, good ?? can anyone share how they handle blanks?

I thought of this ...Hey ______ I wanted to thank you for dropping by the PC booth and filling out the slip. I noticed that you didn't mark anything so I am going to assume that you were SO excited about everything that you just wanted more information about it all.

HMMMM guess I killed another thread! LOL (talking to myself I guess)

yummy4tummy said:
HMMMM guess I killed another thread! LOL (talking to myself I guess)

Not dead, yet.

I limit the number of blank responses by telling everyone that the forms must be filled out completely in order for them to be elligible. If someone still leaves things blank, I, like some of the others, call anyway and ask them the questions over the phone.

1. How do I approach potential bookings that marked "maybe" on the Doorprize slip?

When approaching "maybe" bookings, it's important to remember that they are still potential customers who have shown interest in your products. Start by thanking them for attending the event and filling out the Doorprize slip. Then, ask them if they have any questions or if there is anything specific they are interested in. This will give you an opportunity to showcase your products and address any concerns they may have. After that, confidently ask if they would be open to hosting a Pampered Chef party to earn free products and have a fun night with friends.

2. How can I turn a "maybe" booking into a definite "yes"?

To turn a "maybe" booking into a "yes", it's important to follow up with the potential host and show them the benefits of hosting a Pampered Chef party. This could include earning free products, trying out new recipes, and having a fun night with friends. You can also offer to personalize the party to their preferences and answer any questions or concerns they may have. Additionally, offering an incentive such as a free product for booking a party can also help seal the deal.

3. What should I do if a potential booking seems hesitant or unsure?

If a potential booking seems hesitant or unsure, it's important to listen to their concerns and address them. Assure them that hosting a Pampered Chef party is low-pressure and that you will handle all the details. You can also offer to have a phone or video call to discuss the party in more detail and answer any questions they may have. Additionally, offering a flexible date for the party can also help alleviate any scheduling concerns they may have.

4. Is it okay to follow up with "maybe" bookings multiple times?

Yes, it is okay to follow up with "maybe" bookings multiple times. It's important to remember that people are busy and may need a gentle reminder about the party. However, it's important to not be too pushy or persistent as this may turn them off from hosting a party. You can follow up through a phone call, text message, or email and offer to answer any questions they may have or provide more information about the party.

5. Are there any tips for making "maybe" bookings more likely to turn into "yes" bookings?

Yes, there are a few tips for making "maybe" bookings more likely to turn into "yes" bookings. Firstly, be sure to personalize your approach and make a genuine connection with the potential host. This will make them feel more comfortable and inclined to say yes. Additionally, be prepared with information about the party and potential incentives to make it more enticing. Lastly, following up and staying in touch with the potential host can also help increase the chances of them booking a party.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• mommyhugz1978
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
mommyhugz1978
  • yvonnem87
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Sk8Mom209
  • monicaD