• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Host Who Supposedly Sent Checks Mia

In summary, the speaker is seeking advice about a situation where they closed a $900 show with a host who promised to pay by credit or debit card, but then ended up mailing checks for outside orders instead. The speaker is concerned because the checks did not arrive as expected and the host is being uncooperative in resolving the issue. They are unsure of what actions to take and feel frustrated with the situation. They also mention that they will never accept payments by mail again in the future.
chefsteph07
This is long, sorry in advance, but I need some sound advice!

Last Monday (last day of the month) I was closing a $900 show for a host whose party I did on Saturday. During host coaching and even after the show, I told my host that I wanted to close Monday and any outside orders she received I would take a credit/debit card for payment. I made this perfectly clear several times. We closed over the phone at 9pm Monday evening. As I was getting ready to enter her payment to submit, she proceeds to tell me that her husband had a bad experience giving a card over the phone and can she mail me the checks. There were 4 outside orders, totalling $260, my past host paid $100 cash to the host.

I was leery of giving the ok about sending the checks in the mail, but considering a few factors, it was the last day of the month, we were expecting a collosal storm for the next few days so I didn't know when I'd be able to get to her to actually get the $, and I really wanted the commision for this paycheck, I said ok.

She said she was mailing them on Tues so I expected them by Wed or Thurs at the latest. When Thurs came and I didn't get the money so I called her. She was very nanchalant and said that yes, she did mail them on Tues. I then told her that I would call her on Sat if I didn't get them and we'd figure something out. Of course, it didn't come on Sat so I called her again. I wanted to pick up a check on Sunday for orders and she says "I mailed them on Tuesday, you should be getting it soon" and was very unwilling to speak with me about the situation. I told her I was sorry if she felt I was bothering her about it, but this wasn't a small order that I was now covering and if I didn't get the money soon it was going to create a hardship on my family. I then asked her how long she expected me to wait until I called her about this again and she said if it didn't come by the middle of this week to call her again. I gave her instructions to NOT hand out those items to her guests that I am waiting on payment from until this is resolved. The shipment is coming to her house on Wed and I told her if I didn't have the money before then, I would be by her house on Thurs evening to pick up the items.

I have been in this business almost 8 years. I KNOW I should not have sent in that show w/o payment. Please don't state the obvious to me. Had it not been for these other circumstances, I would have had the money (storm coming in, needed the commision, etc) I didn't send the show to my house either because I honestly don't have time to sort through that large of an order and then get with her again to deliver the products.

I am trying to go about this as diplomatically as possible, but I really want to say to her "Hey! If you were missing $260 from your paycheck I'm sure you'd beat down everyone's door until you got your money so don't act like this is no big deal!"...I really am at my wits end here.

What else can/should I do? I'm getting ready to call the outside orders to let them know what's going on and see if they will re issue me payment, aside from that, do I have no recourse? Am I going to have to eat this if I never get the money? Should I file a theft report?

This has certainly taught me that I will NEVER again take a payment through the mail, even if I am counting on an incentive or need the commission payment. I hate that I can't trust people but I guess that's the way it is now.

:( So sorry that you are going through this? Don't you hate how even though you tell them how to handle orders after the show they never listen? I had one last week that even though I told her we would do a debit or credit card payment over the phone I get a call from her husband that he wants to give me cash! UGH! Luckily I had a show in that area the next day so I could get it from him.

I really don't know what else you can do besides pick the orders up from her if you don't get the payment and then follow up with the outside orders. You did nothing wrong here.

Well, what really stinks is that I drive through her town on Tues evenings to take my daughter to her lessons, but we didn't go last week because of the roads. Otherwise, I would have normally said "just hang on to the checks, I'll be by tomorrow night to get them".

I'm really upset and depressed about this. This is making me question even staying in PC. I've been wanting to cut back and now this may just knock me out of the game altogether. How much BS do I have to take? I feel like I work too darn hard for this much aggravation lately.

I really hope and pray you get this resolved! I know the feeling when the 1% of my hosts do not listen to me when I talk about closing their show.

I had this happen to me last spring. MY director asked me to do one of her shows bcause she had something come up at the last minute. I never met the hostess and it was almost an hour away. Anyways, it was an awesome party! Over $1200 in orders. Well she owed about $100 in her orders plus the outside orders. This was not at the end of the month or close to any promotion for us, so I told her I would close the party when the checks arrived. Well a week went by and still no checks! I was in contact with the hostess and she was starting to get upset because she said she mailed them on that Tuesday and now it was the following Thursday! I was starting to feel guilty becasue I was thinking maybe she thought I was lying to her. I kept emailing my director, she was emailing my director. The lady was so upset she said she wishes she would have never had the party. FInally after 2 weeks, she put the amount on her debit card. I closed the party, her stuff arrived to her and I still did not have the checks. I told her I would mail the checks back to her and she could give them back to whoever they belonged to. ANYWAYS 1 MONTH later the checks arrived!!! They were dated the date she said she mailed them. The envelope was all tore up! I felt so bad. I put everything back in mailed it back to her. I live in Ohio too. NOt sure what happened, but in the end it all worked out. I hope your arrive soon!!!

I've heard that the post office does have the ability to do a trace on mail. It's not anything they can guarantee results on if it wasn't sent with tracking numbers, but they can basically go through and "look around" in the post offices that the letter should have passed through getting to you. Maybe you can see if that's an option.

I would consider contacting the customers who wrote you checks and asking them to write you a new one. Let them know it appears they've gotten lost in the mail. They can see the check hasn't been cashed, and that you're not trying to get double the money. You can also offer to send the original check back when it is received.

Wow, I'm sorry you're going through this. Sorry I don't have any advice. I understand what you mean about thinking about getting out of the business. I haven't had a show since September and I really haven't been missing it. I got so sick of trying to get in touch w/hosts to schedule shows, close shows, etc. I also don't miss the calls at all times of the day from needy hosts. Most of all I don't miss trying to close the shows!

I have some shows for next month so I'm not totally out of the business, but I'm not working to stay in it either. The shows I'm having are from past hosts who called me. I was going to work to stay in it until I lost my career sales by mistake, so now I don't care anymore.

Again, I'm so sorry this happend to you. Maybe you can explain to her like you did to us that you just don't have the $260 in your budget and is there anyway she can write you a new check and you can send her the other checks when you get them.

Good luck.

Any update on this? I feel so bad for you and want to know that it all worked out.,,,,and this serves as a lesson to us all to get the money in hand. I am as guilty as the next as I have closed shows without every order paid for.

I've had a similar thing happen, only the show was just a catalog show and the sales weren't this high. The host had all the checks and said she mailed them. Then she changed her story and said she forgot to mail them, but was putting them in the mail that day. A week later and they still hadn't arrived. Then she blamed her husband and said that he forgot to put them in the mail, that she'd do it right away. Then they still never arrived. She sent me a nasty email later and was blaming me for bugging her and being pushy and all sorts of nonsense. I called my past host who had the booking benefit and she said her friend is a bit nuts and does this. She still had another DS party open and everyone is waiting for their stuff. Anyway, I never did get the checks, couldn't submit the show. But that past host decided she wanted enough stuff between her and her mother that she submitted her own show and got the host special, so I at least got something out of the nightmare.Ugh! It's so frustrating sometimes. I'm soooo sorry you have to go through this. I would call all the guests and see if they can issue new checks. I'd explain that you had to pay out of your pocket when you submitted the show. You can shred or mail back their original checks if they show up. I know it's hard not to let this get you down, but try not to let this experience ruin your business. You've weathered 7 years! There's got to be enough positives to outweigh these nightmares that creep up every now and then. ;)

Thanks guys, for your support. I waited for the mail again yesterday and it didn't come, so I left messages for 3/4 guests. The reason I didn't leave a message for the 4th guest is because I didn't have a last name/phone number for her. I got one phone call back and that was from a guest who placed an $82 order. I was on with her for about 20 minutes and explained the situation. I tried to portray my host in the best light possible and told her that I was sure she did mail these, but I haven't received them, I am now paying for her items, etc and she was very understanding, I apologized a few times and told her that I thought enough time had passed that I thought she should know what was going on. She appreciated that and I said that if/when the checks arrived, I would contact her and find out what she wanted me to do w/ her check. She did give me another payment so I am so thankful. Fortunately, she did tell me that she paid for another guest, who happened to be guest #4 that I didn't have the contact info so I am so happy about that.

I still need about half of the money, but this is encouraging and I'm glad I have "some", if not "all" of it. I am waiting to hear from my past host who owes $98. They all work together, so I'm sure everyone will know about this today.

I think it stinks that my host will probably be upset with me for contacting them, but I'm sure if she were missing this amt of money she would not sit idley by and wait for it to just show up. I have a booking from her party and I'm hoping that this situation does not affect that.

Glad you got part of it! If it comes back that she somehow cashed the checks & is keeping the money, then you can try to pursue the theft charges. You'll have to prove intent that she was trying to deprive you of that value, so proof of her cashing the checks is really the only way to prove intent. Failing to mail the checks wouldn't qualify as "theft" in many states, since she's getting no gain from holding on to them. And you would only be able to claim your loss at this point. The guest who paid you a 2nd time would claim the remainder of the money as her loss. ;)

My guest who I spoke with yesterday got online w/ her bank acct while we were on the phone and it had not been cashed, which led me to reiterate that I didn't think she was doing anything malicious (I really don't), but "sh!t happens" and you know you hear those stories about mail arriving 50 yrs later to its original destination, etc. It's just a really unfortunate situation, but what floors me the most is my hosts cavalier attitude about it. I keep thinking if that had happened to ME and my consultant told me this, I would be doing everything I could to recitify it, esp if I knew that she had paid for these orders herself, I don't think I'd have a "sit around and wait" attitude.

She may change her attitude when she gets wind that her freinds now know! ;)

(((hugs))) girl. Sorry that you had to deal with this headache at all! ;)

I had a host that was exactly like that......she actually told me that I had the checks and was just harassing her! Finally, she informed me she wanted nothing else to do with Pampered Chef and she would be returning her item - I had to meet her to pick it up because I wasn't having PC send her a check because she called them for a return. In the end when the money finally did come and she told me "see I told you I had mailed it", it came without her payment in it because she had mailed it after the entire arguement where she decided to return her item. When I picked up her item she actually said to me "sorry, this happened and I didn't have the money to pay you like I thought I would" and she got in her car and left. Never apologized for lying the entire time. If you really think she is being honest and mailed the checks then she probably did. We get a feeling about our hosts - I KNEW with very little doubt that this host was lying to me. Hopefully they will show up for you in the next day or two and you won't have to pick up the items.

Well, I received a call from my host last night...I'm so bummed that I was at a meeting and couldn't take the call, but she did leave a message...

In the message she said that she checked her bank acct and the check she wrote for the person who paid cash hadn't been cashed or anything and that she was getting "a bit worried"...she said she put the $ in her bank and then went over to the post office to put the checks in- well, now that I know THAT, I have no doubt that the envelope is lost! You have NO IDEA how many host packets, invitations, etc, that have not been received when I put them through the POST OFFICE. And I don't know why! So, she really just only said that and asked me to call her, which I will do tonight. Hopefully, we can get this resolved over the weekend and my host won't have any hard feelings toward me.

chefsteph07 said:
My guest who I spoke with yesterday got online w/ her bank acct while we were on the phone and it had not been cashed, which led me to reiterate that I didn't think she was doing anything malicious (I really don't), but "sh!t happens" and you know you hear those stories about mail arriving 50 yrs later to its original destination, etc. It's just a really unfortunate situation, but what floors me the most is my hosts cavalier attitude about it. I keep thinking if that had happened to ME and my consultant told me this, I would be doing everything I could to recitify it, esp if I knew that she had paid for these orders herself, I don't think I'd have a "sit around and wait" attitude.

I would be mortified!!!! I as a consultant when working for another DS company lost a bunch of checks. I called some to replace and "ate" some of it. Funny I had run into some of the people who's checks were never cashed and they never mentioned how nice it was to get the FREE merchandise!!! I did find them about a year later behind some boxes at my desk at work.

chefsteph07 said:
Well, what really stinks is that I drive through her town on Tues evenings to take my daughter to her lessons, but we didn't go last week because of the roads. Otherwise, I would have normally said "just hang on to the checks, I'll be by tomorrow night to get them".

I'm really upset and depressed about this. This is making me question even staying in PC. I've been wanting to cut back and now this may just knock me out of the game altogether. How much BS do I have to take? I feel like I work too darn hard for this much aggravation lately.

Chef Steph, this situation SUCKS!! However; it is and was completely avoidable. Don't blame PC for this judgement choice. I know this will be read as if I have an air of condescention. I do not. When you submitted the show to earn the promotion you knew that it was not the best decision. Then the PO lost the checks. Take responsibility for your part in this. Thankfully the host was an honest person. She did mail them when she was supposed to; however, she may have been like several others out there and pocketed the money. This business works and it works for the people who make it work.

I do not take checks. Period! I do not take them at the show and I do not take them from the host. I tell them quite plainly, "I'm sure your friends are honest people. However, if they know their funds are low they are more likely to write me a questionable check before they would write one to you, their friend. Also, you know them and can more easily follow up with them if something is wrong with the check. I can completely understand if you do not wish to accept checks either. In that case, please let your friends know that we'll be taking debit/credit cards or cash."

I'm sorry this happened to you. I'm glad you will get resolution to the matter. I would hate to see you leave PC, but more than that I hate to hear you blame the company for issues within your control.

How did it seem like I was blaming the company? I in no way, am blaming anyone but myself.
I will not leave PC, but I just said it's things like this that make me think about it. Not that it's PC's fault at all. I have said in several posts that just stupid circumstances led me to not collect the money myself, etc.
Sorry if it seemed that way in any way because that's not how I feel at all. I do take complete responsibility, I even said in my very first post that I KNOW I should not have done it.

Sorry this happend to you. I'm sure something like this has or will happen to all of us. It happened to me, but I was the one the lost the check. Thank God it was for only $16, but it still got me mad.

One thing I don't understand. If a host/guest sends or gives you a check and for some reason it gets lost, why not put a stop payment on that particular check and write another one?

ilovpc said:
Sorry this happend to you. I'm sure something like this has or will happen to all of us. It happened to me, but I was the one the lost the check. Thank God it was for only $16, but it still got me mad.One thing I don't understand. If a host/guest sends or gives you a check and for some reason it gets lost, why not put a stop payment on that particular check and write another one?
I would imagine she didn't want to do that, because (at least at my bank) there is a charge for a stop payment. If I did a stop payment, it would cost $20 to do it.

ilovpc said:
Sorry this happend to you. I'm sure something like this has or will happen to all of us. It happened to me, but I was the one the lost the check. Thank God it was for only $16, but it still got me mad.

One thing I don't understand. If a host/guest sends or gives you a check and for some reason it gets lost, why not put a stop payment on that particular check and write another one?

For some reason, I am thinking banks charge for stop payments.

Hmmm!!! I don't think that's fair :(

Yes, they do charge for stopped pmts. My bank charges as much for a stopped pmt as they do for an overdraft.

chefsteph07 said:
Yes, they do charge for stopped pmts. My bank charges as much for a stopped pmt as they do for an overdraft.

That's what I was thinking...so most of the time, not worth it!

1. What is the "Host Who Supposedly Sent Checks Mia" program?

The "Host Who Supposedly Sent Checks Mia" program is a promotion offered by Pampered Chef where hosts can earn additional rewards and bonuses by hosting a cooking show and inviting guests to shop for Pampered Chef products.

2. How do I become a part of the "Host Who Supposedly Sent Checks Mia" program?

To become a part of the program, you must schedule a cooking show with a Pampered Chef consultant and invite guests to attend. Your consultant will provide you with more information on how to qualify for the program and the rewards you can earn.

3. What are the benefits of participating in the "Host Who Supposedly Sent Checks Mia" program?

The benefits of participating in the program include earning free and discounted products, exclusive host gifts, and the opportunity to earn additional rewards and bonuses based on sales from your cooking show.

4. Can I still earn rewards if my guests do not make purchases?

Yes, you can still earn rewards by hosting a cooking show, regardless of whether or not your guests make purchases. However, the more sales generated from your show, the more rewards and bonuses you can earn.

5. How can I track my progress in the "Host Who Supposedly Sent Checks Mia" program?

Your Pampered Chef consultant will keep track of your progress and inform you of any rewards and bonuses you have earned. You can also log in to your Pampered Chef account to view your show results and rewards earned.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Bren706
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • barbara_anne
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
lkbcovington
  • babywings76