• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Host Switch Drama: Last Minute Changes and Invites for July 28 Show

I think the host wants her DH to be a consultant and she wants to be his helper.So, it was worth it, even with the frustration.
ChefBeckyD
Gold Member
Okay - so I have a host who had a show scheduled for July 28.......I get back from Conference to an email asking to switch to the 21st.....fortunately, I had another host who was scheduled for the 21st, but really wanted the 28th - so I was able to make the switch......I then told the first host that I needed her guest list faster than ASAP!!! I finally got it - JUST NOW! With a note saying she would like to change the time from 11:00am to 3:00pm......and that I won't be able to get ahold of her until Monday Eve. Well, I'm already about a week late getting the invites out - and definitely can't wait until Monday eve. to finish them. I can't do the show at 3 - we have plans for the evening, and her house is a good 45 min. drive from mine. There is no way that I would be home by 5, which is when we are supposed to leave.

I'm thinking I just put 1:00pm on the invites, and send them out Monday morning, and then when I talk to her Monday night, I let her know the time.....what do you think?

Oh, that's a bit nerve racking. At least you know she will call everyone if the time won't work. Isn't it funny how she seems to think you have no life so she can change the time, but she is sooo busy that she can't stick with a date or time? I don't know what I'd do. Maybe you could leave it at 3:00 and have your first "express cooking show".

Ugh. I don't have any words of wisdom for you on this one. . . .

Have you tried to get in touch with her (regardless of what her note said)? I'd see if I could track her down and if you can't get in touch with her I'm not sure what I would do.

I know, I've been a huge help! :rolleyes:

Good luck.

Yeah...get in touch with her - that's a laugh! I have not talked to her since she booked her show! I have sent her postcards and emails, and left numerous phone messages - and the email I got asking to switch her show was the first time she has responded....and then the email tonight with her guest list (50 names btw!)

And talking to her Monday night - she said that she would call me......

It is funny that she is so busy but I'm supposed to be completely flexible!
Oh - and she is a teacher and has the summer off!

So - those 50 invites? Well at least 10 of them are repeats.......oh well! I'm going to bed and will finish them tomorrow - and the time is going to be 1:00pm!:)

i'd put 1pm on the invites and if thats not good for her then she will have to call everyone to change the time and of course remind them of the show :)
then do as jae suggests your first express show :)
not alot of help i know :(
good luck

I would be having heart palpitations by now...so, my thoughts are with you!

You might offer some type of time "compromise".....instead of 11:00, offer 1:30...and make it a 10-10-10 show! (10 adult guests, you demo 10 products, and you finish the demo in 10 minutes). Stress that you have a prior obligation and must leave her home by xxxx-time. MOST people will respect this need and go with a compromise to makeit happen.

What you don't want to do is push the host into a negative corner where she cancels altogether...so compromise is truly the key here even if your host is an inconsiderate you-know-what.

I have done similar compromises when I have 2 shows scheduled on the same Saturday.....in addition to the host, do not be shy (although you should be diplomatic/funny/both) with the guests to say that "we'll be watching the clock tonight so be ready for me to move quickly thru the show....

Good luck!

Do a mix, mingle and munch. Have all the food ready and then just talk about the product, take orders and pack up.

Tell me more about Mix Mingle and Munch--specifically the demo party and how you make that quick.

Thought I should update you on this show......

She had the Party........6 in attendance, show is at $300 right now, with 2 bookings for Sept., 1 for Oct., and the host wants her DH to be a consultant and she wants to be his helper...........

So I guess it was worth it, even with the frustration.

ChefBeckyD said:
Thought I should update you on this show......

She had the Party........6 in attendance, show is at $300 right now, with 2 bookings for Sept., 1 for Oct., and the host wants her DH to be a consultant and she wants to be his helper...........

So I guess it was worth it, even with the frustration.
And what time did you hold it? (curious minds want to know)

50 invited and 6 in attendance - no surprise, hey?! - She was so busy she didn't make her calls I bet.:rolleyes:

BethCooks4U said:
And what time did you hold it? (curious minds want to know)

50 invited and 6 in attendance - no surprise, hey?! - She was so busy she didn't make her calls I bet.:rolleyes:

This is funny - I called and emailed, left messages for her both places - telling her that the invitations MUST go out that day, so I was dating them for the 21st @ 1pm, and if she needed anything different, to call and let me know by 2pm that day. Well, Friday (remember - the Show is Sat) she emails me and says "I was cracking up when I started getting RSVP's - so I guess my show is at 1 then?"

I was a bit nervous about her having the correct ingredients on hand - but she had everything there and ready. No - she didn't make any calls, and probably, other people had a hard time getting her on the phone to rsvp, so I'm sure that effected her attendance too.:rolleyes:

re: 6 out of 50 ...

My show attendance generally isn't real high ... 6-8 out of 40 invited. Just curious, what ratio DO you guys get if/when you have a diligent host?

My poor bride last week had 2 guests out of 47 invited (40 invitations) at her bridal show last week. I don't think I've ever felt so bad for someone.

MomToEli said:
re: 6 out of 50 ...

My show attendance generally isn't real high ... 6-8 out of 40 invited. Just curious, what ratio DO you guys get if/when you have a diligent host?

My poor bride last week had 2 guests out of 47 invited (40 invitations) at her bridal show last week. I don't think I've ever felt so bad for someone.
How sad! Usually you can count on a shower to have high attendance! The big problem is getting Auntie to NOT bring a gift!

On other shows: If the host does follow through (I don't have luck getting people around here to let me make the calls) the attendance is usually 1/3 to 1/2 of those invited but most obviously don't. lol

BethCooks4U said:
How sad! Usually you can count on a shower to have high attendance! The big problem is getting Auntie to NOT bring a gift!

On other shows: If the host does follow through (I don't have luck getting people around here to let me make the calls) the attendance is usually 1/3 to 1/2 of those invited but most obviously don't. lol

Usually, I don't have any luck getting people to let me make reminder calls (which actually makes me breath a sigh of relief :rolleyes: ) But I have a host for Aug. who is going to be on vacation until the day before her show - she just gave me her address list, and asked me if I would mind making reminder calls for her - so I'm going to get to try out the concept in Aug! The great thing about this host is this is her 2nd show, and her first show, she sent out about 10-15 e-invites, and didn't give me an address list......just did "word of mouth" invites - had very poor attendance (most of the e invites were never even opened - a problem I am experiencing more and more) so this time she is willing to try invitations my way!:D

ChefBeckyD said:
......just did "word of mouth" invites - had very poor attendance (most of the e invites were never even opened - a problem I am experiencing more and more) so this time she is willing to try invitations my way!:D
That's what I found with the party I just hosted for another plan. I think because of how the sites send the invites, they get dumped into Spam folders (or even stopped by the ISP before they even reach the recipient's computer). I'm going to start suggesting that hosts send an e-invite to their list, and also forward one from their own email account, so it comes FROM THE HOST, rather than from HO.

My mom's consultant (the director I'll be switching to in Feb) sends out the invitations for the host (I'm not sure whether she recoups the postage cost or not) and makes the reminder calls. She offers it as a service, telling the host they are free of remembering to do it. She just calls and says "This is Sally with The Pampered Chef. I'm calling to remind you of Betty's cooking show on January 1st at 6pm. You can call Sally or myself with any questions. My phone number is xxx-xxx-xxx. We really hope to see you there! Thanks and have a great day!" She also offers the host a free gift if they give her a full 40 person guest list (last I knew it was the bar board/knife combo, but I'm not sure what she's using now). (My mom had a show with her and got 2 bar boards b'c she gave her consultant 83 guest names!) Her show attendance is really great - she averages 15-20 people at her show, sometimes more. I think if you can somehow get your hosts to think that it's part of the service you're providing (and that you aren't going to phone-spam the customers), that its a great way to boost your show attendance. I bet a lot of people get the postcard in the mail and think "ooh, I'll go to that" and then get in the door and set it down somewhere and after they've made dinner and helped with homework and done laundry and dishes, its buried or thrown in the trash or whatever. I've realized how nice it is to get a reminder call for things when I lay in bed to go to sleep and realize my son has a dr appt sometime this week but i forgot to write it on the calendar. The next day I'll get a phone call reminding me of his appt day and time and its such a blessing! - and a huge relief!!

I offer to make the reminder calls for my hosts... some take me up on it, some don't. I say to her, "If you'd like to include your hosts phone numbers on your guest list, I'd be happy to make the reminder calls for you for the show. Since you already know everyone, if you do it, it will take you 15 minutes for each call because everyone will want to chat. If I do it, it will take me a minute for each because I don't know them." This reasoning has them take me up on the offer. Just be sure, though, if you offer to do it that you actually have the time to do it! I offered for a host and she had 60 people on her list!!! It took me over and hour and honestly, I was tired of making the calls around #20!!!!!

Making reminder callsI don't even give the hosts the option. I just say, "I send out the invites and I make the reminder calls." The nite before the show I call the host to confirm those guests that will NOT be attending. The morning of the show, I call EVERYONE (except those that have already said they are not coming) and leave a reminder message on their phone. I probably have a 1/3 attendance rate. But everytime that I roll my eyes and say to myself "I really don't want to make those calls", I have a guest that nite tell me "I'm so glad you called, I really wanted to come but I thought that the party was ... " insert excuse here (tomorrow, at 7 pm, next week, etc.)

The very first show that I did this for had 23 guest orders, 2 bookings (as well as another person that eventually booked) and $1193 in commissionable sales. That was the selling point for me. This way, if I don't have a guest list at least a week in advance, I can pretty much count on not working that night. (or working the phone):eek:

Related to Host Switch Drama: Last Minute Changes and Invites for July 28 Show

1. Why do some hosts seem difficult to work with?

Every host is different and has their own unique set of expectations and priorities. It's important to approach each host with patience and understanding, and to communicate clearly and effectively to ensure a successful event.

2. How can I handle a host who constantly changes their mind?

It's important to establish clear boundaries and expectations from the beginning of the planning process. If a host continues to change their mind, gently remind them of the original plan and offer suggestions for alternative options.

3. What should I do if a host is unresponsive or uncooperative?

First, try to communicate with the host through different channels (phone, email, social media) to see if there is a reason for their lack of response. If they continue to be unresponsive or uncooperative, it may be necessary to involve a higher-up or find a new host.

4. How do I handle a host who wants to make last-minute changes to the event?

Last-minute changes can be frustrating, but it's important to remain flexible and accommodating. Offer solutions that can easily be incorporated into the existing plan and try to find a compromise that works for both parties.

5. What steps can I take to prevent difficult hosts in the future?

While it's impossible to completely avoid difficult hosts, there are steps you can take to minimize the likelihood of encountering them. Set clear expectations from the beginning, communicate effectively and regularly, and establish boundaries to ensure a smooth planning process.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
byrd1956
Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • wadesgirl
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
wadesgirl