• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Host Order Mistake: How to Fix Overcharged Pantry Items & Avoid Bank Fees

In summary, Rhonda's order totaled $23.45 but the Visa debit card charged $31.45. When additional things came in, they kept bouncing and her bank charged her $36 for the first overdraft. Her director says she should pay one overdraft fee to her for $36. PC says they take it the way I put it in PP. If that's the case why is the written receipt not valid?
pampchefrhondab
I have a major problem with one of my hosts.

When I totaled her order I forgot to add the pantry items. It made a difference of $8. I had a note to call her, but forgot!

She just called a left me a msg. that it has bounced her checking account and she now has over $200 in fees. She said her overdraft fee was $36. She said she lives paycheck to paycheck.

Please help!

How did forgetting to add her $8.00 bounce a check that she wrote? Wouldn't you have been $8.00 short? Sorry it's been a long day and my brain is sooo sleepy!

I'm sorry that happened, however!!!

Kitchen Diva said:
How did forgetting to add her $8.00 bounce a check that she wrote? Wouldn't you have been $8.00 short? Sorry it's been a long day and my brain is sooo sleepy!

I'm sorry that happened, however!!!
I'm wondering the same thing. Was she overdrawn by the $8 that you charged her w/o telling her?

Yeah really!! did she give you a blank check and you told her one total then changed it?

Rhonda - did you over charge her? Not getting it - 8.00 messed her up and its 200 in fees??? that is a little over board - dontcha think?

I was thinking the same thing... Did she use a CC????

That a tough one, but it goes back to HER responsibility overall:1. How does $8.00 cause over $200 in fees????
2. Why is it YOUR fault she lives paycheck to paycheck. (Been there, done that, still do sometimes, but it isn't someone else's fault).
3. Is that overdraft protection fees? That isn't your fault, she has it to not bounce a check...maybe she should choose to bounce a check.Was this a debit card issue??? If it was, it IS your responsibility not to charge the customer other than what they agreed to on their order. If that is the case you do bear some responsibility.I can't judge either way without more information...

It was a Visa debit card. It is my fault because I gave her a total of $23.45 and it debited $31.45! She didn't have the extra $8 in her account. Her bank charged her $36 for the first overdraft. Then additional things came in and they kept bouncing.

My director says I should pay one overdraft fee to her for $36. I called HO because she did sign the receipt for $23.45, but when I put it in PP it was for $31.45. If she takes the receipt to her bank they would say she should have only be charged $23.45. PC says they take it the way I put it in PP. If that's the case why is the written receipt not valid?

So all the additional things that came in were less than $8?!?!

I really find that hard to believe!

I don't have much advice for you except that the other fees would have occured anyways. I mean if she had that many other things come in and bouncing, the $8 wouldn't have made much difference either way, kwim? I would feel a bit responsible for the $36 fee, but that's just me. I'm sorry that this happened. :(
God bless,
Amanda

pampchefrhondab said:
It was a Visa debit card. It is my fault because I gave her a total of $23.45 and it debited $31.45! She didn't have the extra $8 in her account. Her bank charged her $36 for the first overdraft. Then additional things came in and they kept bouncing.

My director says I should pay one overdraft fee to her for $36. I called HO because she did sign the receipt for $23.45, but when I put it in PP it was for $31.45. If she takes the receipt to her bank they would say she should have only be charged $23.45. PC says they take it the way I put it in PP. If that's the case why is the written receipt not valid?

I'd say you bear some responsibility for the first overdraft for not putting it in as stated on the first receipt without approval.

You could have put it in as "consultant gift" and collected later.

HO has no way of seeing a written receipt - they have to take what we put in.

The other fees are HER responsibility. Regardless of the issue, those other things would have bounced.

A tough lesson! Sorry it happened!

One additional thing...I would be curious to see if it would have bounced ANYWAY if charged at $23.45! That would sway me a little bit. At that point, I'd say you owe her the $8.00 mistake and NOT the overdraft fee...

Ya - ok you over drafted her 8.00 - but she had additional stuff coming in with no funds?????? HELLO how were they going to get paid? I would personally absorb the 8.00 for the over charge (well you know) and apologize.

Probably it would have bounced regardless of if you let her know that it was 30+ or not. I agree that you should pay ONE, just to keep her from running your name in the dirt and possibly to continue as a customer/hostess, but NOTHING more than that. It is HER responsibility to make sure she doesn't pay w/ rubber payments!!

The problem is it was a snowball. When the $8 wasn't there they charged $36 for a $44 difference.

Rhonda, wait a minute. I think I understand. So you're saying that the bounce fee is what caused her other things to continue to bounce and it was just a domino effect?

Last edited:
Yes - it was a domino. Sorry I'm not thinking clearly. I'm a little stressed!

I am willing to pay one of her overdraft fees, but not $200. But if I claim responsibility for one wouldn't I have to take responsibility for the snowball?

My Director said they have changed payments for her before and done a credit on someones credit card. They have said they will not make changes as of Aug. 1st. She said I sent my show in on July 31st though. We are going to call our HO rep. tomorrow to see if there is anything we can do.

I just don't know how I can tell her bank the wrong amount was charged when I didn't actually debit the account - the Pampered Chef did.

Oh my. That's not good at all. I am not sure what to tell you. If it was the domino effect then technically it would have been due to your error. But to cover that much in fees, I don't even want to think about it. Maybe you could talk to the bank or something and hope for mercy? I'm so sorry. This is a good lesson to all of us to double check amounts on those debit cards. This could easily happen to anyone.

jesusluvsu2005 said:
Rhonda, wait a minute. I think I understand. So you're saying that the bounce fee is what caused her other things to continue to bounce and it was just a domino effect?
That has happened to me, but the bank took off all but one overdraft fee. If she has done it before, they may not take off the fees.

Rhonda - its not your fault!!!

for 8.00 she shouldn't have that much of a domino affect -

Has she ever heard of overdraft?????

Paycheck to paycheck and literally penny to penny - damn that is good accounting - I still can't balance my checkbook! LOL

No wait, the domino effect is NOT due to you!If this didn't bounce the next one would!!!! That isn't your fault!

I wouldn't pay until you see the statement. Give her the $8, and tell her you'll work with her when you see the whole story from the bank. She may choose to let you see the statement or go to the bank with you, or you both get together and look at her online statement, whatever. Don't offer to pay the overdraft fee until you really know the deal.

I know this is a new account for her because she had counter checks and asked me if I would take it. Stupid me said I wouldn't since her name was not printed on them. That is when she gave me the debit card number.

It sounds like she authorized the $23 purchase based on what she knew was in her account. If so, it was a good faith transaction on her part (whether she lives paycheck to paycheck or not). This happened to me once...I accidentally processed a debit charge when I was supposed to do something else (don't remember the details). Anyway, I was at fault and paid the fees. (A lesson learned for me!)

JAE said:
I wouldn't pay until you see the statement. Give her the $8, and tell her you'll work with her when you see the whole story from the bank. She may choose to let you see the statement or go to the bank with you, or you both get together and look at her online statement, whatever. Don't offer to pay the overdraft fee until you really know the deal.

I agree! I was just about to type that.

I would ONLY accept responsibility for $8.00. Anything else and I'd demand to meet with her at the bank with one of their representatives. We KNOW you did not cause 20 things to bounce! She's playing games with her account and floating money, that is NOT your fault!

I'm not thinking right either I don't think. LOL They are right, if $8 bounced (unless those other things that went in were $1 or so things), she wouldn't have had the money to cover it all (the things that came in after the $8). I'm sorry, I wasn't getting the math in my head straight. Never been good at math. So unless those were very small things that bounced you should only be responsible for the one charge. I hope this all gets straightened out for you. It's a pickle for sure.

Just read the other posts....my brain is too tired to process the numbers...question is whether your error truly generated the follow-on charges. I defer to the number gurus here...oh, yoo-hoo, Janet, deferring to you!

Just a side note here. We live paycheck to paycheck and when I have a small amount in the bank, I am very careful how much I spend. That means I would add my order up and make sure I had enough to cover it. Shouldn't she have known how much her order would have been knowing that she teeters on the edge like that?

I agree with your upline. Pay the $8 and a courtesy payment of one of the overdraft fees. You might give her a Season's best freebie and apologize ONCE for the inconvenience.

This has happened to this particular person more than once - some of the paycheck-to-paycheck mentality, is her not keeping accurate track and knowing what would debit on her account when. I totally understand how 24-something goes to 31 something and creates a domino problem, but SHE is the one who
-used her debit card for other purchases or
-authorized withdrawals from her own account, and
-didn't keep track...

Also, at some level
- she should be a responsible consumer and add up her own order
- an $8 difference is more than just a simple math error; she wasn't keeping track, and probably she does this in her other finances.

(If it sounds like I speak with any authority on this, it's from personal experience...
been there, done that on the paycheck-to-paycheck thing.)

I agree with whoever said you need to see a statement showing your $8 overcharge started the domino effect. As a full time banker, people always say it was the fees that caused the snowball of fees, but when you look at their purchases without fees, they are usually overspending.

OK-banker hat off....:cool:

I agree, ask to see the statement. How do you honestly know it wasn't the $23 charge that would have done it, kwim? The only thing you have to go by is her word and honestly, if you don't even have that much in the bank you shouldn't be buying anything but neccessities.

Last edited:
I feel so sick about this..... I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight!

I agree I think I'll ask her to meet w/me at her bank so we can get it straigtend out together.

The big kicker is this person was supposed to have a show w/her daughter - which she now cancelled. Probably a good thing for me if she doesn't have any money.

I also have more shows scheduled with this group of people. I'm sure this story is going to get around the office!

Last edited:
Sigh. I wish I had answers for you.

These kinds of things can snowball rather quickly.

One Christmas, I went to Bestbuy.com and reserved some video games for my nephews. Best Buy put a hold on my card.

I went the next day to pick up the items. Best Buy HIT my card.

The bank treated these as 2 separate charges which both hit ... on the day after Christmas.

I didn't know about it until I went to return an item.

By the time I was able to do anything about it, the bank had tacked on fee after fee after fee after fee ... just for having "continuous overdrafts." They totaled up to $200 in fees, all for something that would not have been overdrawn AT ALL had Best Buy hit my card only once and had my bank not charged me continuous overdraft fees.

The bank agreed to refund all of them, but only if I could get a letter from Best Buy stating what happened. A friend of mine said, "Good luck. You're dealing with an organization that is slightly less bureaucratic than the federal government." I talked to various people from their call center in India who pronounced my name "Day In" and sent me various e-mails in broken English.

I have never shopped at Best Buy since.

Rhonda, I hope everything gets straightened out for you. Please keep us updated.

I also don't know for sure she's going to advertise what happened unless she takes it completely out of context. Because ultimately once someone gets to thinking about it they'll realize that she shouldn't have spent money she didn't have.

Try not to worry too much. *hugs*

Diane,
Did you eventually get your fees refunded? How horrible!
God bless,
Amanda

Thank you for all the great support you guys are giving me. I'm in tears now since the shock is wearing off. I hate that I made any mistake at all! I am a perfectionist. I did have a couple other orders from this same show that I was overpaid for (they were outside orders). I attached the refund in envelopes attached to the receipts. I had a note to call this person and tell them about the charge - I just forgot!! I will never do this again (put in a higher amount in PP before calling) - lesson learned. I hope all of you can learn from my mistake!

Oh Rhonda, I do agree that you should meet her at the bank.

Good luck hon and I will thinking about you.

jkinak said:
I agree with whoever said you need to see a statement showing your $8 overcharge started the domino effect. As a full time banker, people always say it was the fees that caused the snowball of fees, but when you look at their purchases without fees, they are usually overspending. QUOTE]

I agree w/Jill, although I have no banking background. Go w/her to the bank; show her empathy. Pay the $8 and one fee. Maybe send an apology note afterwards along w/a Season's Best.

Nope, I never got the money back. Ironic thing is that this is the account I use exclusively for PC business ...

Sounds like she would have been a PIA as a host, anyway!

Rhonda...

I don't have any other ideas than the ones stated here...just wanted to tell you that I feel for you! I know that sinking feeling in the bottom of your stomach when something goes so wrong. I pray that you are able to work things out fairly! Don't beat yourself up about this (you have done that enough)!!

{{{HUGS}}}

That is why I belong to a Credit Union and not a bank. No fee like that, thank goodness

Well I called and left a voice mail for the customer. I said, "Hi this is Rhonda I received your message." "I am so sorry this happend." "I would like to work with you and your bank to get this resolved." "I have also contacted the Pampered Chef and am trying to find out if I can get the credit back to your account."

We will see if she calls me. I would say if my $8.54 didn't really make the difference she won't call me back.

The PC amount cleared her bank. This means she would have had $8.54 less in her account. If that next check was for more then $9.00 she would have bounced anyway!

She stated she didn't want to have a show, which I think she had decided anway because I had called her 3 times to set up the time so I could get her packet out to her and she never called me! Funny she called about the bouncing after I called to get a show time.

I'm just going to do what I can do to mend.

Rhonda, it sounds like you did what you could on your end. I hope this gets resolved quickly for you!

Rhonda it is now time to bless and release, because you have done everything you can until (if) she calls you back.

cookinmama said:
That is why I belong to a Credit Union and not a bank. No fee like that, thank goodness

Credit Unions do have fees like that if you have overdraft protection.

wow -- how did I miss this!?! Rhonda, I agree with Kelly to stop beating yourself up. You're human, and we all make mistakes. For 90% of your customers, an extra $8 would not be a big deal -- some would probably wondered why you called them abut such a small price adjustment.
I find it interesting that she didn't bother to tell you about the bank charges until you called her -- though perhaps she had lost your contact info?
As some others have said, fix the $8 difference & maybe pay the first overdraft fee, once you've seen that your $8 is what started the ball rolling.
Cut yourself some slack. It just goes to show what a kind & honest person you are that you have taken this to heart :)

Well I heard back from HO. They say I am responsible for the ALL overdraft charges if the overage did start the snowball. They said I need to get a copy of the bank statement as soon as possible showing the trans. 2-3 days before to current. I'm going to try to call the customer again.:(!

I just called the customer and asked for her (sounded like one of her children). They said, "just a minute." I could hear talking and then I was told she is in the shower. I asked if they could leave a msg. for her to call me. They said yes. I asked if they needed my number and they said, "No, we have caller ID. I asked them to relay the msg. that I spoke w/the Pampered Chef and we would like to take care of the situation." They said okay. We will see if I get a call back. If I don't I am going to send a registered letter tomorrow.

Last edited:
pampchefrhondab said:
Well I heard back from HO. They say I am responsible for the AAL overdraft charges if the overage did start the snowball. They said I need to get a copy of the bank statement as soon as possible showing the trans. 2-3 days before to current. I'm going to try to call the customer again.:(!

Who did you speak to in HO? Knowing how O/D protection works, I have a hard time believing your $8.00 caused the snowball and if it did, you only should be responsible for 1 charge because the other charges would have happened anyway. You'd have to see the statement to play out the scenario of when each happened. That will tell the true story rather than assuming!

Also, make sure you speak to the bank, since you are "responsible" instead of the customer of yours the bank will probably waive the rest of the charges for you.

Good luck fixing it!!!!

Also, claim this on your taxes as a business expense!

I spoke to the Solutions Center Manager. She spoke to Finance about it.

I just want to let others know. Do not make this same mistake. Be very careful when you input your shows.

<h2>1. What should I do if I accidentally overcharged a host's pantry items?</h2><p>If you have accidentally overcharged a host for pantry items, the first thing you should do is apologize and take responsibility for the mistake. Then, offer to fix the issue and make it right for the host.</p><h2>2. How can I fix the overcharged pantry items for my host?</h2><p>The best way to fix the overcharged pantry items is to refund the difference to the host's account. This can be done through the payment method used for the original order, or by issuing a check or cash refund.</p><h2>3. What can I do to help the host with the bank fees?</h2><p>In addition to fixing the overcharged pantry items, you can also offer to cover the bank fees that your host incurred as a result of the mistake. This shows that you value your host's business and are willing to take responsibility for any errors.</p><h2>4. How can I avoid similar mistakes in the future?</h2><p>To avoid similar mistakes in the future, make sure to double check all orders before finalizing them. It may also be helpful to have a colleague or manager review them for accuracy. Additionally, consider implementing a system to track and follow up on any notes or reminders for specific orders.</p><h2>5. What should I do if a host is living paycheck to paycheck and the bank fees will cause financial strain?</h2><p>If the host is living paycheck to paycheck and the bank fees will cause significant financial strain, consider offering to cover the fees and provide a credit or discount for a future order. This shows compassion and understanding for your host's situation and can help maintain a positive relationship with them.</p>

Related to Host Order Mistake: How to Fix Overcharged Pantry Items & Avoid Bank Fees

1. What should I do if I accidentally overcharged a host's pantry items?

If you have accidentally overcharged a host for pantry items, the first thing you should do is apologize and take responsibility for the mistake. Then, offer to fix the issue and make it right for the host.

2. How can I fix the overcharged pantry items for my host?

The best way to fix the overcharged pantry items is to refund the difference to the host's account. This can be done through the payment method used for the original order, or by issuing a check or cash refund.

3. What can I do to help the host with the bank fees?

In addition to fixing the overcharged pantry items, you can also offer to cover the bank fees that your host incurred as a result of the mistake. This shows that you value your host's business and are willing to take responsibility for any errors.

4. How can I avoid similar mistakes in the future?

To avoid similar mistakes in the future, make sure to double check all orders before finalizing them. It may also be helpful to have a colleague or manager review them for accuracy. Additionally, consider implementing a system to track and follow up on any notes or reminders for specific orders.

5. What should I do if a host is living paycheck to paycheck and the bank fees will cause financial strain?

If the host is living paycheck to paycheck and the bank fees will cause significant financial strain, consider offering to cover the fees and provide a credit or discount for a future order. This shows compassion and understanding for your host's situation and can help maintain a positive relationship with them.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• babywings76
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
ShellBeach
  • pampchefrhondab
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Addie4TLC
Replies