• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Director Holiday Party - Gifts for Consultants

In summary, the director is trying to come up with a cost-effective way to give gifts to her team of consultants for the holiday party, but is having difficulty finding a solution that meets everyone's needs. She is considering providing a gift for only those consultants who attend the party, or providing a gift for all consultants, but is worried that doing either will offend someone on her team.
finley1991
I need help from my brilliant fellow directors!

Each year at the holidays I have a holiday party for my TEAM (This year I am doing brunch) and give them all a PC logo gift. Last year I gave the $5 key chains and the year before the $5 calculator from Town & Country. As you all know, Merrill is a little pricier!

In trying to keep ALL costs down as much as possible, and also looking at the active consultants on my team, here is my dilemma:

1. I really would like to get something for them...

2. I'm afraid that I will have some who haven't worked in FOREVER come to the party because they know I give something to them.

You all know how frustrated I am with them per other posts... do I just suck it up and get everyone something, get something only for those who are working?

I guess I don't want to "reward" those who aren't working with a gift. But I can't single them out...

Any suggestions and what do all of you do?

Well, I'll tell ya my story.

The first year I was a director, we had our cluster holiday party at my house (we meet with 3 other directors). We did a grab bag/dirty Santa gift give away which was lots of fun.

I told my AD I was buying PC datebooks from T&C for each of my consultants (I believe they were like $2.99ea) and she basically told me she disagreed with what I was doing but it's my business and I could run it as I see fit...I thought she was just being cheap.

At that time I had like 9 consultants on my team...I bought 10 datebooks, plus cello-bags to put them in, and made cute little To:/From tags for each one...well, guess what? Not one of my consultants showed up to the party (4 had RSVP'd yes). My AD *could* have said "I told you so" but thankfully, she didn't - LOL
*note - of the three other directors' teams plus mine, we had a total of i think 7 people show up - it was embarassing.

Last year we started a new tradition of hosting our holiday party at The Melting Pot (a fondue restuarant). The staff gives us a private room and the chef comes out and gives us a mini-cooking-lesson. We have each consultant RSVP and PAY AHEAD ($40 each). This way we have a FIRM headcount. The $40 gets everyone a full meal wincluding salad and dessert and soft drinks..even the tip is included - the only thing they'd have to pay for on site is alcohol. It worked well last year. And at each person's place-setting we put a king sized hershey bar. This year I am looking to make personalized wrappers for the candy bars - anyone know how? My AD gives gifts JUST to the directors (we got Merrill name tags last year)

I still feel like I am being cheap - but after getting burned...well...ya know. I look forward to reading some ideas from everyone else...

My director buys an ornament for everyone on her team. I am not sure if she does something more for her directors.

We also do a $10 grab bag. It is a potluck party--everyone brings an appetizer or dessert and we just snack and chat and have fun!

I'd love to do the ornament thing because I collect them (selfish, I know!) I have a consultant on my TEAM who is Jewish and makes a HUGE issue that Christmas is forced on her with the ornaments, holiday songs, etc. So ornaments are out!

Last year, with the keychains... for anyone who didn't attend, I just mailed it to them? Which I am fine with.

My concern lies with the inactive consultants... do I get something for them. Do I put it CLEARLY on the e-vite that all who attend will get a holiday gift from me and no RSVP means no gift and NO attendance at the party means no gift?

I think that part is where I am struggling right now.

Yeah - we can't do anything Christmassy as we have quite a few Jewish team members. My AD only gives gifts to those who attend the holiday party...

Why can't you give what you want? Those that aren't Christian could get non-Christmasy gift. Just put names on all the packages and wrap theirs with blue & gold paper. The party could be called a Holiday Party indeference to their sensitivity. I am sorry - must be in a bad mood (something about deer and cars and computers...) but I am tired of not being able to have my own traditions or actions.

We can't do this because it might offend that person and we can't do that because this person doesn't like it. If everyone was considerate of EVERYONE's traditions it would not be a problem and everyone could be happy.

How about asking the Jewish team members to contribute to the party with decorations and maybe a game that they use in their Hanukah celebrations. Make it about both - and by the way (soapbox here) we worship the same God and the Christian Bible's old testament is the same one the Jews used before us. We are the same, we just have different understandings of who Jesus is (well, I know it's not that simple...).

I have a good friend who is Jewish and I always send her a Hanukah card and when we exchange gifts during the holidays I get her something I know she would like and wrap it accordingly. She does the same for me. We celebrate our differences.

Okay... back on subject:

So, I too have bought my team gifts and then no one shows up for the meeting. We have also done the "dirty Santa" game and it has worked sometimes and not others.

I plan on having a small gift (not sure what yet) for those that come to the meeting again this year but it's hard. Last year the December meeting was cancelled because not one person was coming. I'll decide what to do but get it that day I think.

Do you get gifts from your team? The directors on my director's team have always gotten her something but they didn't ask the consultants to contribute.

I know this doesn't help any...but thanks for sharing all this. As a new director, it helps to open my eyes to some of the challenges.

As for this issue: I would just send a card to those who won't come. I see the gift as part of the event, not something separate from it.

leggy

We always do a holiday mug swap. It is so much fun! Two years ago I found a set of two M&M green and red mugs (the M&M characters) filled with M&Ms. It was a hit at the party! Last year I found an adorable penguin with a hat/lid. This year I have a big green cup and saucer. Our meeting is also training and recognition, then the holiday mug game (each mug can be stolen three times and then it is dead) and a cookie swap - bring a plate of cookes/treats and go home with a plate full of different types of cookies/treats. I do not see this as a Christmas meeting, just a holiday themed December meeting.As for people with different religions, don't forget those who are atheist, agnostic, antitheist, druids, etc. Most people in these situations don't feel like announcing their beliefs because they don't want to get into a debate. It doesn't just affect Christians and Jews. This is exactly why I send out magnetic thankful/harvest calendars around Thanksgiving. Plus, it puts my name in front of my past hosts and preferred customers before the holiday gift giving season.

bethcooks4u said:
Why can't you give what you want? Those that aren't Christian could get non-Christmasy gift. Just put names on all the packages and wrap theirs with blue & gold paper. The party could be called a Holiday Party indeference to their sensitivity. I am sorry - must be in a bad mood (something about deer and cars and computers...) but I am tired of not being able to have my own traditions or actions.

We can't do this because it might offend that person and we can't do that because this person doesn't like it. If everyone was considerate of EVERYONE's traditions it would not be a problem and everyone could be happy.

How about asking the Jewish team members to contribute to the party with decorations and maybe a game that they use in their Hanukah celebrations. Make it about both - and by the way (soapbox here) we worship the same God and the Christian Bible's old testament is the same one the Jews used before us. We are the same, we just have different understandings of who Jesus is (well, I know it's not that simple...).

I have a good friend who is Jewish and I always send her a Hanukah card and when we exchange gifts during the holidays I get her something I know she would like and wrap it accordingly. She does the same for me. We celebrate our differences.

My AD is very Christian.
I am Jewish.
About two years ago I had two Jewish gals on my team. At our November meeting my AD went off on a rant about how she loves Jesus and just because Jews refuse to accept Jesus as their personal savior she is still going to prostheletize (sp?) at her shows and meetings and try to "save" them all and make them see that Judaism is a false religion, blah blah blah...needless to say, come January, I had two less consultants.
It's one thing when you are amongst a group where everyone can respect everyone's beliefs...but, well, as they say - one bad apple...
So...for the sake of protecting my team from my AD, I make sure we keep everything completely neutral.

dannyzmom said:
My AD is very Christian.
I am Jewish.
About two years ago I had two Jewish gals on my team. At our November meeting my AD went off on a rant about how she loves Jesus and just because Jews refuse to accept Jesus as their personal savior she is still going to prostheletize (sp?) at her shows and meetings and try to "save" them all and make them see that Judaism is a false religion, blah blah blah...needless to say, come January, I had two less consultants.
It's one thing when you are amongst a group where everyone can respect everyone's beliefs...but, well, as they say - one bad apple...
So...for the sake of protecting my team from my AD, I make sure we keep everything completely neutral.

GOOD LORD! (Sorry for the pun!)

And I'm sure your AD has no clue that she's alienating people! Goodness!

So have you accepted Jesus yet? :angel: Just kidding... I couldn't resist!

Well, that will be her demise. I know an AD that won't do shows for anyone who isn't caucasian. Nice, eh? Her exact words were, "I don't do shows for THOSE people." All I know is that will ALWAYS hold her back in her business. And, by the way, she is a very devout christian. Go figure!

finley1991 said:
GOOD LORD! (Sorry for the pun!)

And I'm sure your AD has no clue that she's alienating people! Goodness!

So have you accepted Jesus yet? :angel: Just kidding... I couldn't resist!

Well, that will be her demise. I know an AD that won't do shows for anyone who isn't caucasian. Nice, eh? Her exact words were, "I don't do shows for THOSE people." All I know is that will ALWAYS hold her back in her business. And, by the way, she is a very devout christian. Go figure!

How did she get to AD with that attitude?!? Could you imagine where she would be if she didn't have that attitude!!!

I Know!!!!!

And nice role-modeling for the cluster!

The last couple of years we have done a gift exchange. Everyone brings a wrapped gift and we play some sort of game to swap them. I have also given my team a small gift. Last year it was homemade coco mix in a mug with a chocolate dipped spoon. I only invite my active team. Unless there is someone that I know will be active again soon or something like that. And I only did gifts for those that came, and long distance consultants.

We do it more as an end of year/holiday party. So everyone can come and enjoy!

dannyzmom said:
My AD is very Christian.
I am Jewish.

finley 1991 said:
I know an AD that won't do shows for anyone who isn't caucasian. Nice, eh? Her exact words were, "I don't do shows for THOSE people." All I know is that will ALWAYS hold her back in her business. And, by the way, she is a very devout christian. Go figure!

WOW! How awful!:yuck: I don't understand how people can be so intolerant! We are "born" into our religion by an accident of birth and who's to judge by color?!:eek: Who are we to judge anyone else. We have often had the discussion that Jesus was likely dark-skinned - what would she say to THAT?

I totally understand why your meetings have to be neutral and I would do the same thing in your situation. We all respond by the experiences we have and I apologize for assuming that your situation was anything like mine.

Last year I did PC$$. I sent them with a note in their Christmas card. I did the amount according to how good of a year they had. We didn't have a Dec. meeting or holiday event- so they were easy to mail.
This year a bought a bunch of stickers from Nancys so I think I will give them.

Happy Chef said:
Last year I did PC$$. I sent them with a note in their Christmas card. I did the amount according to how good of a year they had. We didn't have a Dec. meeting or holiday event- so they were easy to mail.

I like this idea! I have a lot of stickers so I can make up little gift sets for everyone and it's money already spent so fits the budget well.

I do also like the PC$$ idea too but I have been offering them for other incentives - will keep it in mind for future gifts though!

bethcooks4u said:
WOW! How awful!:yuck: I don't understand how people can be so intolerant! We are "born" into our religion by an accident of birth and who's to judge by color?!:eek: Who are we to judge anyone else. We have often had the discussion that Jesus was likely dark-skinned - what would she say to THAT?

I totally understand why your meetings have to be neutral and I would do the same thing in your situation. We all respond by the experiences we have and I apologize for assuming that your situation was anything like mine.

Beth, please don't apologize to me. I know you well enough and have known you long enough to know who you are as a person and I know that your heart is always in the right place :) No apologies ever necessary (((Beth)))

Happy Chef said:

I like this idea and I like that you MAILED them so nobody could sit & comapre "Well I got this much...how much dod you get?" Mind if I ask, what was the formula you used to come up with the amount?

dannyzmom said:
I like this idea and I like that you MAILED them so nobody could sit & comapre "Well I got this much...how much dod you get?" Mind if I ask, what was the formula you used to come up with the amount?

I'd love the formula too!!!! I'm loving this idea!

finley1991 said:
I'd love the formula too!!!! I'm loving this idea!

Yeah - it's along the lines of giving back to them as much as they're putting in, kwim? Like we give more of our time to those consultants giving more of their energy to the biz...I really like this...

dannyzmom said:

I'm thinking the same thing. Please tell Beth!
I'm also a new director and really am contemplating on what to do for my team. I love this thread!!!:D

pampmomof3 said:
I'm thinking the same thing. Please tell Beth!
I'm also a new director and really am contemplating on what to do for my team. I love this thread!!!:D

Wasn't me - DEB.... please share!:pray:

Last year I didn't do anything because the previous two years I had a party and had very low attendance. But this year my team meetings have been pretty strong--8-12 in attendance regularly, so I'm toying with the idea of doing a party again....I bought a bunch of votive candles from my friend the party light lady and thought I'd do something along the lines of a little gift tag with "thanks for being such a light to the business this year" or something like that--nothing fancy. That phrase sounds lame, though--any other cute ideas?

There really wasn't a speciific formula. I pretty much went by sales for the year and how long they've been a consultant, plus if they recruited. I had 3 consultants who really worked their businesses- they got $15 each. I think 1 got $8 and a couple got $5. There were several that only got a card with a nice note- because they only sold a couple thousand for the year.

Happy Chef said:
There really wasn't a speciific formula. I pretty much went by sales for the year and how long they've been a consultant, plus if they recruited. I had 3 consultants who really worked their businesses- they got $15 each. I think 1 got $8 and a couple got $5. There were several that only got a card with a nice note- because they only sold a couple thousand for the year.

OK - looking at my IPT to see my teams totals for the year- I am thinking for anyone who sold over 5k for the year...they'llget PC$.
$5k-9k will get $5PC, 10K-14k will get $10pc and 15k will get $15pc.
Does that sound good? Too much/. Too little?
Anyone? Bueller? LOL

Sounds good to me- but I also look at recruiting and how long they have been with me.

I just read this read for the first time. Carolyon, wow on that Advanced Director!

I am also Jewish, but my husband is Catholic. We celebrate both Chanukkah and Christmas, but Christmas is not very religious in our home. That is because we agreed to raise the kids Jewish, but I just can't take Christmas away from my hubby. Besides, I just love Santa. He is just so big and jolly! :)

We have four Directors getting together this year with our teams. We have done this for a few years. The Directors supply dessert and we play the dirty Santa game with wrapped ornaments. This is always a lot of fun.

We always give a little gift to those who attend. The only ones who get gifts, who do not attend, are those who live out of state. In the past we have given candles or ornaments. However, this year I attended the Vera Bradley Clearance Sale in Atlanta. I purchased very nice travel wallets (originally $42.00) for $3.00 each! If someone has a large purse, the wallet could be used on a daily basis; or it can truly be used for travel. How cool is that! While at the sale I tracked down my Director and she tracked down another Director. I made a huge purchase that day!

Whatever you decide will be the correct decision if the gift comes from your heart! Knowing each of you from this site, this is not a problem for anyone here!

Lisa

WOW Lisa! What a find!

I was just at Kohls and they had some great things that I think I will go back to get for my team. They even mention "pampering" in their marketing of them!

They are bath item gift sets. One is a set of 7 different holiday scented body butters and another is a set of the same 7 scents of shower gels. I thought I could get 3 sets of each and split them into 21 different gifts in cute gift bags and maybe add those stickers that I already have. If people don't show up I can give some to my DIL's and granddaughters so I wouldn't be stuck with them. Each set is $12 (not on sale).

Last year, I bought cards for each consultant from my Catholic church :) that benefitted a group of families in Honduras. The money from the sales of these cards goes to feeding these families. I thought it very appropriate for us to help feed others in another country and everyone liked the idea because it had nothing to do with religion and everything to do with helping others!

bethcooks4u said:
WOW Lisa! What a find!

I was just at Kohls and they had some great things that I think I will go back to get for my team. They even mention "pampering" in their marketing of them!

They are bath item gift sets. One is a set of 7 different holiday scented body butters and another is a set of the same 7 scents of shower gels. I thought I could get 3 sets of each and split them into 21 different gifts in cute gift bags and maybe add those stickers that I already have. If people don't show up I can give some to my DIL's and granddaughters so I wouldn't be stuck with them. Each set is $12 (not on sale).

I love shopping at Kohls. I might need to look there because I have a hospitality Consultant who is a guy.

ChefLisa said:
I love shopping at Kohls. I might need to look there because I have a hospitality Consultant who is a guy.

Yeah, I have a guy too... what would be a similar choice for him?

So far I have not decided what to get for him. Our party is not until Dec. 17 so I have a little time. Please share with me if you come up with an idea and I will do the same.

Lisa

A couple of years ago a director friend of mine gave her down line miniature kitchen utensil ornaments. She had purchased a set of 8 or 10 for herself and one or two to split up and gave 1 or 2 to each consultant. I think they were about $15 for the set. They might be found somewhere on the internet. They were cute and nice quality.

Last year we met at Atlanta Bread Company, everyone bought their own food and we had an ornament exchange. Drew numbers so there was no way anyone could complain about who got what. However (!), the price for the ornament was $5 or less and some of the ornaments were beautiful and some were pretty awful!

So, this year, we're going to a local pizza place, have a room just for us, everyone buys their own food (bring a guest, too) and there are no gifts!

Just socializing!

Why not something from the Director's Store. It will benefit their business, be unisex and can still be affordable. I like the carabeaner (sp?) pens.

finley1991 said:
I need help from my brilliant fellow directors!

Each year at the holidays I have a holiday party for my TEAM (This year I am doing brunch) and give them all a PC logo gift. Last year I gave the $5 key chains and the year before the $5 calculator from Town & Country. As you all know, Merrill is a little pricier!

In trying to keep ALL costs down as much as possible, and also looking at the active consultants on my team, here is my dilemma:

1. I really would like to get something for them...

2. I'm afraid that I will have some who haven't worked in FOREVER come to the party because they know I give something to them.

You all know how frustrated I am with them per other posts... do I just suck it up and get everyone something, get something only for those who are working?

I guess I don't want to "reward" those who aren't working with a gift. But I can't single them out...

Any suggestions and what do all of you do?

I loved my first year my director gave us PC Mugs filled with candy, did recognition (envelopes with PC dollars), and my holiday card had a $5 starbucks card. Was really nice.

Last year she gave us these "words" for the wall (new home business... can't remember the name). Not really my style, but cool. I put the word "dream" on my lamp.

Me - still thinking. Been buying little business-useful things to show I appreciate them for months! I have a draw full.... 3 of those "booking trees" Julie weier recommended - I got 3 beautiful antique like ones on ebay. Some PC-related Nancy's rubber stamps (I've gotten my team to love them) ~ some to make invitations, products. I have extra Booster stickers. I have these CUTE mini leather briefcases at Kohls this summer that can hold business cards!!!! They have locks and snap open. I gave one to MY director to thank her for the time she spends with ME. Michaels had these cute calendar mousepads where we can have our consultants write in when they have shows... I got one for each person doing shows to keep, and got the 2 directors I do meetings with one too.

I just love gifts! Why can't $$ grow on trees? I was thinking $10 gc to Merril or Staples... Would love to help them get more logowear!
I found these great tiny books at the Job Lot (normally $5) - Habits of Successful People by Covey... I stashed a bunch of those.

I think the idea is to gather things throughout the year when they are on sale. That will keep the money down and you will have stuff to choose from rather than looking for the "perfect" gift.

I'm all about gathering stuff throughout the year too.
But I do like the Merrill $$ so they can get themselves something.
I did get them little inspirational words @ a craft fair I was going to make up different baskets depending on their year.....

I want to "Pamper" my consultants this Christmas (the majority are new since January - at least that come to the meeting). I am all about business items and logo items most of the year but I wanted to do something different.

Kohls has a big sale today and I was able to get the sets of shower gel and of body butter at 30-40% off (depended on the sets). I also picked up some shower puffs for 2/$1 and I have Pampered Chef nail files (from the old VIP store) so I'm set and at under $5 each)! As far as my male consultant, he doesn't come to the meetings but I will have an ornament for him (hopefully a chef).

I also picked up a silver chain at 60% off for the consultant who just earned her silver whisk - darn! I should have picked up a couple for those who are getting close!

Consultant GiftsThis year I went to the Dollar Tree store and they have Rattoutie (however you spell it) gift bag with a plastic chef hat cookie cutter attached. I'm going to melt white chocolate bark with peppermint crushed in it and wrap in celephane. This way everyone gets a gift and it only cost me $1.00 each.

I have about 35 in my entire line, with one fairly new Director, so gifts are tough to gage for me. I dont want to seem cheap, especially since my team totally rocks my world.

So, that said, this year I did up little bags with a package of invites, package of recipe cards, pacakge of wed. reg. cards, one misc pc something (keychain, pen, etc), a glass votive candle holder (personalized from Oriental Trading ~ You are a Star! Pampered Chef 2007 with gold stars all around it) and a hand painted spoon (painted as a snowman or a Santa! ~ Totally adorable!) I think I have about $7 per bag is all. But it made a great display. I have so many out of state consultants, that I will also end up sending those out to them, so that is an added expense as well... but I am hoping they will be happy with that.

We are also doing a small gift exchange, and of course I have a bigger gift for my one gal who is a director herself...

giftsThis year I purchased the coffee mugs from Merrill ($10) each, "discover the chef in you".
We are having the xmas party tomorrow, my house.
I'm giving out doorprizes (just to make it fun).
Also, an ornament exchange, pc theme.
But, its fun to hear what everyone else is giving for gifts on this board.
I give PC anniversary gifts, birthday gifts each month, just important to make them feel great about themselves.
I'm still doing a quick recognition for sales in November.
jane

1. What is the budget for the holiday party gifts?

The budget for the holiday party gifts varies depending on the consultant's level of activity and the company's policies. It is important to consider the cost and value of the gifts to ensure fairness among all consultants.

2. What are some affordable options for holiday party gifts?

Some affordable options for holiday party gifts include PC logo key chains, calculators, or other small items from the company's merchandise. You can also consider homemade gifts or gift cards to popular stores or restaurants.

3. How can I avoid rewarding inactive consultants with a gift?

If you are concerned about rewarding inactive consultants, you can consider setting a requirement for attending the holiday party and receiving a gift. For example, only consultants who have met a certain level of sales or activity can receive a gift.

4. Can I single out inactive consultants and not give them a gift?

It is not recommended to single out inactive consultants and not give them a gift. This can create tension and hurt feelings among the team. It is better to set a requirement for receiving a gift rather than singling out individuals.

5. What are some ways to keep costs down for the holiday party gifts?

Some ways to keep costs down for the holiday party gifts include setting a budget, finding affordable options, and considering homemade gifts or gift cards. You can also reach out to other consultants for ideas and potentially pool resources to purchase gifts in bulk at a discounted rate.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• almondfarm
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
Chef Kearns
  • flemings99
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
Malinda Klein
  • dannyzmom