• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Help - I Don't Like My Kirby Vacuum Cleaner!

In summary, the Kirby vacuum is not very practical and people have had issues with it not picking up crumbs or the need to adjust the head height.
ChefJessica95765
Does anyone have a vacuum cleaner called Kirby?

My husband bought that thing because he says its the best. I don't like it.
It seems not to pick up crumbs from the floor vary easy. Also to get a hose attachment I have to disassemble that thing. To me as a German that thing is just so unpractical. Does anyone have a idea what I might be doing wrong? Still trying to find the great features of it!!!

In the past Kirby was a well-respected vacuum cleaner company. I can't say that I've seen one in years, though. Guess I'm not much help.

ChefJessica95765 said:

It seems not to pick up crumbs from the floor vary easy. Also to get a hose attachment I have to disassemble that thing. To me as a German that thing is just so unpractical. Does anyone have a idea what I might be doing wrong? Still trying to find the great features of it!!!

I looooove mine! I have the Sentria. The only thing I can think of that is causing the issue of not picking up crumbs is that you need to adjust the "head" height....lower. I can see my Kirby physically sucking up the carpet when I vacuum. So, absolutely no crumbs or strings left here.

I do agree it's sort of annoying to attach the other attachments but the more you use it you get super fast at it.

I will never own any other kind of vacuum. Kirby blows anyone (including dyson) out of the water.

I used to sell Kirby's...18 years ago. Still my dream vacuum, and someday I will own one! I sold it when the Generation 3 first came out, and if I hadn't been a single mama at the time, I probably would have stuck with it...

Sorry, WAY off topic, but the memories came flooding in! I could see where the attachment thing would be frustrating, but I agree with the fact that it's really simple and goes really fast once you get used to it.

Also, if you feel like you're having problems after adjusting the height, Kirby's come with a lifetime warranty (as long as it was bought from the company)...have it looked at!

I got one as a wedding gift and I hated it. It was so heavy that I dreaded vacuuming, and I NEVER used the accessories. I was thrilled when I got my inexpensive(by comparison) Hoover.

ChefJessica95765 said:

Chefgirl2 said:
I got one as a wedding gift and I hated it. It was so heavy that I dreaded vacuuming, and I NEVER used the accessories. I was thrilled when I got my inexpensive(by comparison) Hoover.

HATE IT - HATE IT - HATE IT!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

My husband had one when we got married (11 years ago) and he convinced me to sell my Eureka Boss (which cost $100 and I LOVED it.) because he had the "best there is" $1200 vacuum.

It's heavy, hard to move around, and forget carrying up and down stairs! Plus, I have to get down on my hands and knees to attach any of the accessories - stupid thing. Oh, and there is no longer any place local that sells the bags for it, so we have to mail-order them.:mad:

The one bright spot is that after running over my feet with it and almost breaking my toes several times, I told my husband that if he wanted to keep the stupid thing, then he would be doing the vacuuming. So, now - I don't have to vacuum any more! :D:D:D

I bought one years ago, actually "bought" is not the correct term. I didn't pay a dime for my $1500 vaccuum! They traded us for an older Kawasaki motorcycle, we didn't want it anymore so it was a win-win. I love telling that story because it's so funny that they actually went for the trade!!! Love it, mine has a handle on the base that makes it easier to carry up stairs if you use that. I struggled with it for awhile before I realized it had that handle part. I do admit I can't do the attachments, my 12 year old and husband can, so I just let them do it! It does work very well though. My mother-in-law still has a Kirby that works great after who knows how long, it's old!

I love mine. It is bulky, but it works better thank any vacuum. My mom has a cheaper one that she is always taking in to be fixed. I have had mine for about 10 years. It was the first thing I bought on credit!!!!! hahaha. I was in college and dumb. It has been paid off for many years and I am thankful b/c I know I will never have to buy another one. I have had other small stick vacs for small clean ups.
We have all hardwood floors and I don't have any trouble with it picking up. I do have to adjust the height when I go from rugs to wood, but that is just with a tap of the foot. If it isn't picking up, you may want to clean it out or adjust the floor height. Also, once the bag is about half-full (where the fill line is on the bag) it does lose suction power. When I was in college I was too poor to buy the bags, so I would just take them out and dump them in a trash bag and put them back in.
Hubby had a really old one when we got married and we got rid of his b/c we had a small house. Now we are in a really large 2-story and I wish we would've kept the second. I do occasionally see them at yard sales. I may pick one up to have it refirbished.
I had never used the shampoo attachment, but shortly before we moved from our old house, my BFF showed me how to use that and I was totally in love. Wish I would've enjoyed that more while I had carpet.

I've owned my Kirby for 3.5 years. I bought it for myself for my birthday in 2007.
I love my Kirby!
It is the most wonderful vacuum I have ever owned.
I also agree, it is difficult at first, but once you can get used to it, it just can't be outperformed!

my husband thinks the reason I don't want a Kirby is because we know the wife of the guy who owns the local Kirby store. That doesn't help (my explanitions on what I think of that woman are not fit to print, but I digress), but I HATE THEM!!! I know they are actually American Made, but they are super heavy though now they have some sort of power boost thing on them to make them feel lighter and they are a pain to use attachments with.

As far as I'm concerned, the old Regina Housekeeper revolutionized vacuuming by making attachments easier to use. I refuse to buy a vacuum that isn't easy to use. Also, I know that bagged vacuums are actually cleaner, but I like the convenience of bagless.

We have 2 - the one my grandma bought new in the 60's (has been refurbished twice on the company's dime) and the 1 my bride bought in a [ahem...] previous marriage. They work fine. I did have grandma's one recently repaired for an item that frazzled the motor, but it works like a champ.What I appreciate the most about them is (A) the brush that rotates as it vacuums, and (B) the cloth bag that doesn't require a vacuum cleaner bag - you just empty it onto wet newspaper and you're good to go.They're awesome - hate to be disagreeable, but I love our Kirby's!

I guess people either love or hate them. It did take me a while to fall in love with mine, but after I use it, things are really clean.

I guess I hate it - more floors should be vacuumed more often, but just thinking about getting it out, and around, and so on, it takes longer than vacuuming my floors.

Growing up my mom had a Kirby. I hated that thing, too. Way too heavy and yes, the attachments are a pain! It was always breaking down. Maybe it was just a dud and most of them are fine, but this one wasn't.
Becky has a great idea - since your hubby loves it so much, let him use it!

Related to Help - I Don't Like My Kirby Vacuum Cleaner!

1. Why don't I like my Kirby vacuum cleaner?

There could be several reasons why you are not satisfied with your Kirby vacuum cleaner. Some common reasons include difficulty maneuvering, heavy weight, loud noise, or not performing as expected.

2. Can I return my Kirby vacuum cleaner?

Unfortunately, we do not offer returns for Kirby vacuum cleaners. However, we are always happy to assist with any issues or concerns you may have with your product.

3. How do I maintain my Kirby vacuum cleaner?

To ensure optimal performance, it is important to regularly clean and maintain your Kirby vacuum cleaner. This includes emptying the dust bag, cleaning the filters, and checking for any clogs or blockages in the hoses or attachments.

4. Can I use my Kirby vacuum cleaner on all types of flooring?

Yes, Kirby vacuum cleaners are designed to be used on a variety of flooring types including carpet, hardwood, tile, and more. The vacuum has adjustable settings to accommodate different surfaces.

5. How do I contact Kirby for further assistance?

If you have any questions or concerns about your Kirby vacuum cleaner, our customer service team is always available to assist you. You can contact us through our website or by phone during our business hours.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• crissy11
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
climbercanoe3
  • pamperedlinda
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
lacychef
  • KellyTheChef