• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Need help with household cleaning? Get answers to common questions here!

In summary, the conversation discusses various cleaning and maintenance tasks, such as removing stains from a microfiber sofa, cleaning cabinets, shredding chicken for a recipe, finding a good oven cleaner, and caring for an old hardwood floor. The participants share their personal methods and recommendations for each task.
crystalscookingnow
Gold Member
OK as someone who is 30 years old, has lived on her own since she was 19, I have some questions. I *should* know the answers to these, but since I have never seen my mom do these things, I just don't know. (Kind of like wearing makeup, didn't know how to do that, either).

1) What takes ink pen & milk stains off of a couch? We have a microfiber sofa & I have no idea how to clean it.

2) What about cabinets? Ink pen on cabinets (my DS found a pen & went nutty, I think)

3) How do I shred cooked chicken breast for a recipe that calls for shredded chicken?

4) What's a good oven cleaner?

5) What's a good hardwood floor cleaner? It's old & has scratches, but I don't know how to care for it!

6) How about cleaning out the fridge? What's the best way to do this? I normally do it with soap & water & frozen fingers, but surely there's a better way to do this?!

I know it sounds like I haven't ever cleaned my house by the questions I'm asking. I have. I just want to be sure that I'm doing this the best way that I can. I'm a little embarrassed to even be asking this but I just don't know. :cry:

1) When my kids got marker on my micro fiber couch I took the magic eraser to it totally came off
2) magic eraser again. I know some people refuse to use it but I really like it
3)No Clue
4) I used to buy what ever no I have a self cleaning oven
5)no clue on that either I use pinesol for my wood floors I am sure I am not supposed to use it.
60 I do it the same way.

WOW!!! You sound just like me!! Here is MY way of doing things... which may or may not be the best way, but it works for me!

1) What takes ink pen & milk stains off of a couch? We have a microfiber sofa & I have no idea how to clean it.
I use Resolve on all my fabrics. But I don't have any microfiber, so I'd check the bottle/can first and see if you can use it there. Then do a test section to make sure it doesn't fad the color.

2) What about cabinets? Ink pen on cabinets (my DS found a pen & went nutty, I think)
Magic Eraser! Even took crayon off the wall!

3) How do I shred cooked chicken breast for a recipe that calls for shredded chicken?
I use two forks that are facing opposite directions. Or the Hold 'n Slice and a fork

Don't know... always have had self-cleaning ovens

5) What's a good hardwood floor cleaner? It's old & has scratches, but I don't know how to care for it!
Is it sealed? I use the Swiffer hardwood cleaner. Or Murphy's Oil Soap.

6) How about cleaning out the fridge? What's the best way to do this? I normally do it with soap & water & frozen fingers, but surely there's a better way to do this?!
That's what I do. If your fingers get too cold, maybe put on a pair of heavy-duty latex gloves!

P.S. - I never saw my mom do any of these things either!

Happy Cleaning!

I have used the food chopper to cut/shred up chicken when I have made the Jerk Chicken Nachos. It seems to do a good job too.
Just my 2 cents

katie0128 said:
WOW!!! You sound just like me!! Here is MY way of doing things... which may or may not be the best way, but it works for me!

I use Resolve on all my fabrics. But I don't have any microfiber, so I'd check the bottle/can first and see if you can use it there. Then do a test section to make sure it doesn't fad the color.

Magic Eraser! Even took crayon off the wall!

I use two forks that are facing opposite directions. Or the Hold 'n Slice and a fork

Don't know... always have had self-cleaning ovens

Is it sealed? I use the Swiffer hardwood cleaner. Or Murphy's Oil Soap.

That's what I do. If your fingers get too cold, maybe put on a pair of heavy-duty latex gloves!

P.S. - I never saw my mom do any of these things either!

Happy Cleaning!

I to use the hold and slice, or actually just did for the fisrt time and refuse to do it any other way now!!
Our couch is durapella which is made to be easily cleaned and the instrustions for it are to use a "basic" soap( like basic and acidic). And it recommended like Neutrogenia deep clean-went and bought the generic. Rub it on with a towel and then scrub, then clean and dry well. Since if you leave soap on there all dirt will be drwn to that spot. My DS drew all over the couch and recliner and after some hard work this did remove it.

Magic eraser works wonders on hard surfaces, try it out in a hidden spot first, it can take off darker colored paints and such. For shredded chicken, I usually use a fork but our salad choppers work wonders on chicken. I discovered the wonders of Ove-gloves for the fridge. I usually have to rearrange the freezer every time I go grocery shopping which always resulted in frozen fingers. Now I use the ove-gloves and they work like a charm. Should work well for cleaning too, just watch out that you don't get them too wet, defeats the purpose. I usually use the cleaning wipes to clean out my fridge. For oven cleaner, I usually use the regular oven cleaner in the cleaning aisle. Let it set for a long time then scrape everything out.

I had the same problem with our microfiber couch and DS. Rubbing alcohol and a q-tip will take it right off and not harm the microfiber.

crystalscookingnow said:
OK as someone who is 30 years old, has lived on her own since she was 19, I have some questions. I *should* know the answers to these, but since I have never seen my mom do these things, I just don't know. (Kind of like wearing makeup, didn't know how to do that, either).

Try Resolve Multi Fabric Cleaner...DS (13!!) got permenent black marker on our couch and this took MOST of it off...

I would try the magic eraser here too...be careful not to push hard enough to take the finish off!!

You can chop it with a knife, our chopper, or you can shred it like Katie said, using two forks to "pull" the strands apart. That is actually shredding it...

A tip on cooking chicken to shred: Bring the water (or chicken stock if making soup...this will make a VERY flavorful broth!!) to a boil, add the chicken and then barely SIMMER (very slow, very few bubbles) till done. Cooking slow like this does two VERY IMPORTANT things: (1) makes the chicken moist and tender, not rubbery and (2) makes the broth (for whatever you end up using the broth for) CLEAR and not all cloudy and nasty looking.

not sure...mine is self cleaning

Murphy's oil soap is good for a deep cleaning...you probably want a wood "floor cleaner" to put on for a shiny finish.

6) How about cleaning out the fridge? What's the best way to do this?
I normally do it with soap & water & frozen fingers, but surely there's a better way to do this?!

I use rubber gloves and VERY HOT soapy water. Since you can use hotter water wearing the gloves, it seems to clean quickly before your rag is cold again!

I know it sounds like I haven't ever cleaned my house by the questions I'm asking. I have. I just want to be sure that I'm doing this the best way that I can. I'm a little embarrassed to even be asking this but I just don't know.

Don't worry! These are things that if we aren't taught, we have to ask about!!

:cry:

Hope this helps!!

Too many questions for me! Just kidding.
My sofa has great fabric, so I use a little Woolite with water and a white dish rag.
Ink pen on cabinets...hmm. Soap and water aren't working? I'd be careful with the Magic Eraser. I've noticed the shine gone where I've used it. Doesn't hairspray work on fabric for pen? It couldn't hurt to try a little on a cloth.
My mom just used water to mop the wood floors, but she was a clean freak and did it quite often. I don't have wood.
I used the name brand oven cleaner when I used to have that kind of oven.
When I clean out the frig, which isn't often enough (I know that's gross), I just wash a little at a time. You know? When I'm in the mood or there is an empty, dirty area. I also use very hot, soapy water while wearing gloves.
I just rip the chicken apart with forks or hold n slice, and I've used the old pastry blender, too. I haven't tried the new one.
Sorry for answering out of order.

1. How do I remove tough stains from my cookware?

For tough stains on your cookware, try soaking it in a mixture of hot water and dish soap for a few hours before scrubbing with a non-abrasive scrubber. You can also try using white vinegar or baking soda to help remove the stain.

2. How often should I clean my kitchen sponges?

It is recommended to clean your kitchen sponges at least once a week. You can do this by microwaving a damp sponge for one minute or running it through the dishwasher on the hottest cycle.

3. What is the best way to organize my kitchen cabinets?

One way to organize your kitchen cabinets is by grouping similar items together and using containers or bins to keep things neat and easily accessible. You can also utilize vertical space by using shelves or hooks to maximize storage.

4. How do I get rid of unpleasant odors in my refrigerator?

To remove unpleasant odors from your refrigerator, try placing an open box of baking soda on one of the shelves. You can also mix equal parts water and white vinegar in a spray bottle and use it to wipe down the inside of your fridge.

5. What is the best way to clean my stovetop?

To clean your stovetop, start by wiping away any loose debris with a damp cloth. Then, use a cleaner specifically designed for stovetops or a mixture of dish soap and hot water to scrub away any tough stains. Finish by wiping down with a damp cloth and drying with a clean towel.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• susanr613
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
stefani2
  • smarteez2
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Chef Kearns
  • kcjodih