• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

HELP! Frustrated with Demos at Shows

In summary, the guest said that the prices in the catalog are too expensive and that the guests were not listening to the presenter. The presenter tried to get the guests' attention by putting a quikut pairing knife on the table, but it was unsuccessful. The guest was the last to turn in their order and charged the presenter the highest price.
minersmix
Ok, I am totally frustrated. My last two shows have been disasters as far as my presentation/demo. There have been old people there and they do not seem to care if you are talking or not. The show I did Monday night the Host actually said "Mom, she is talking" her response to that was "so am I". At one point I had the new pizza stone over my head trying to get their attention. That same woman, ended up saying very loudly in front of everyone
"everything in this catalog is sooo expensive".. I walked over and handed her a quikut pairing knife to see if that would shut her up. After I was done with my the cheesey garlic bites, I put them on the table and they were gone in two minutes after that people were throwing their very small orders at me so they could leave. I do not know what I am doing wrong. I studied and practiced my demo, and I know that it is not because my voice is low and hard to hear. HELP.:yuck:

How long is your show?
ALSO - sometimes you just get folks who are that loud and rude!

Melissa, It may not be you at all! Don't be so hard on yourself, sometimes you just hit a bad string of rude people and yes it is so hard to move passed but I have found for every negative person I meet, there's ten positive ones... Keep your chin up and things will get better! I did read something that caught my eye when I searched for show outlines in the files and I thought it was so cute! Forgive me I have forgotten who's idea this was but they said something to the effect of "negative comments are not allowed at my shows towards the show or people at the show. We are here to have fun and who can have fun with all that negativity?" She then handed out a toy police car with a siren to one of the guests to be the show police... (not exactly how she worded it, but still sounded like it would definitely lighten things up!) Good Luck and I hope all goes well from now on... remember the power of positive thinking! :)

Some times people are that way. I have been surprised when I think I am going to have a decent show and then everyone turns in small orders.

I can do a show in about 1 1/2 hour. On week days I try to do a quicker show than the weekends. I know that people have to work etc. My Host was disappointed how everyone behaved. She tried to keep some modicum of order but was unsuccessful. I felt bad for her as well. I know she was mortified. My sister-in-law was one of the guests and she was stunned and the behavior. She was probably one of the few guests who were polite and listened to me.

Angela, that actually sounds like the Julie Weitz training seminar. I actually went to it and she did do that.

Hee Hee and I don't even know her training seminars... Well, I guess my post wasn't too helpful... sorry :(

Your support is GREATLY appreciated. I knew you all would make me feel better. I love you guys.

Melissa - sometimes folks are just that way. Just do your show and go on! I had my first of 3 shows for the weekend tonight. It started at 7:15 and I did not leave the hosts house until 9:45! That is wwwaaaayyyy long for me, but the guests were talking a lot. AND the ring-leader of all the talking was the last to turn in her order. 1 seasons best and 1 cinnamon sprinkles!!!!!! $7.50! I took great joy in charging the $4 shipping!

Don't stress the talkers is what I was meaning to say!

minersmix said:
I can do a show in about 1 1/2 hour. On week days I try to do a quicker show than the weekends. I know that people have to work etc. My Host was disappointed how everyone behaved. She tried to keep some modicum of order but was unsuccessful. I felt bad for her as well. I know she was mortified. My sister-in-law was one of the guests and she was stunned and the behavior. She was probably one of the few guests who were polite and listened to me.

melissa
does that include your tally time?
try getting your guests more invovled in ur presentation, interaction can be a huge thing and keep them focused.

No, thats about another 20-30 minutes depending on how many people. I try not to go over 2 hours total, 3 hours after my time with the hostess before and after. I usally wash all my dishes before I go as well. This gives me a chance to let the hostess know about how well she did and figure out what she wants.

sometimes if the guests all know each other and havent seen each other in a while just let them talk
they will appreciate it, try not to be the teacher in the front of the class type
then just say to yourself
thank god thats over on with the next one, no point stressing over the things u have no control over :)

Angela did you have a chance to listen to the seminar on CD? I have the Outward Image on CD, copies that I made from the originals. My Director purchased them and I copied them. I do not know if I am supose to say that on hear. hee hee.

Your show may be a little long for your guests. I realize the talkers are gonna talk no matter what, but you lose most folks after about 30 minutes or so. Do you think that might be part of the problem?

It might be part of it, but this happened from the very beginning with these two particular shows.

melissa
check out the thread on tom maston cooking show live, think it was in meeting tips
there was some great tips there

if your that long i would definately get them more involved and let alot of them talk but about the products if you can and no negative nellies allowed lol :)

Melissa I haven't had any time to put intmy training for PC... guilty as charged! I just now have been able to broaden my horizons and venture out into the information super highway that PC has to offer and I am so glad I am!

Kind of like Angela said, I have heard of having a negativity cop and a cheerleader. At the beginning of your show you hand out a pompom to your cheerleader and everytime they hear something exciting it is their job to get the room cheering (like new SS can go in the DW) and the negativity cop gets the police car with siren or a squirt gun to stop all negative comments. Guests are encouraged that instead of saying "I own that. It never works right" to say "could you please show me again the proper way to use that tool?", etc.

I also heard that people are shopping the first 20 minutes of your demo, writing things down the second 20 minutes and crossing them off the third 20 minutes. So try to keep your actual demo under 40-45 minutes. :balloon:

Sometimes you are just going to get the talkers and there is nothing you can do about it. I would definitely get the guest more involved, when a guest talks about how much they like a product everyone else is more likely to buy it. This is because they know this person and do not view them as a "sales" person. Do you play any games? If everyone is getting restless you could always take a time out from the demo to play a game.

I would also work on shortening the demo. Do you do any prep work beforehand? For example if you have to grate cheese, have most of it done ahead of time.

When someone says that all of our products are to expensive I would overcome that objection. This is what I use "yes some of our products are more expensive than the local discount store. BUT all of our products come with a minimum 1 year warranty. I had one customer who had bought a garlic press at the local discount store and 3 months later it broke, she couldn't return it for a new one so she bought another one from the same store. 5 months later that one broke, then she was invited to a pc party. She told me her story and that she was going to buy ours. If she would have bought ours the first time she would have saved money."

Melissa,

I think your show is WAY too long. One hour TOPS! Here are a few things that will help cut down your time and raise the product orders:

1. DO NOT TALK ABOUT ANY PRODUCTS UNDER $15!!! If we do, we are doing ourselves and our customers a disservice! Here is what I mean... we've all been obligated to attend another DS Show and what happens? We go in, grab the catalog and find what we can for under $20 and order that. It's the same with the guests at our shows. They DO NOT need any justification from us to spend $10. What they do need from us is a good, concrete reason to spend $50 on the salad spinner or other higher priced item! They need to know at least 5 things they can use it for! We all know how great our items are! I have one consultant and her #1 seller was the Easy Opener. 10 orders = a $37 show. Not so good. So she stopped talking about that all together and started talking about the Chillzanne Rec Server. 10 orders = $300 show. The difference is obvious. If we only talk about the higher priced items, the show will be shorter and customer orders will be higher. Trust me, they'll find the lower priced items on their own... they don't need our help doing that!

2. Only talk to the people who are listening. We can't control other people. That's not our job. Plus, what if it's this person's first night out with her friends in six months? We're going to tell her she can't socialize with her friends and she has to listen to us? If that's the case, no bookings will ever result because people will be offended. There will be people who are paying attention... talk to them and don't worry about the others. It's frustrating but trying to control it will only make us look bad as the consultant.

Hope that helps a little... :)

Another tip I have is to NEVER stop talking!!! As soon as you take more than 3 seconds to get a breath, they will take over.

Great points, Colleen! I agree about the higher priced items. I'm trying to do that now. Just use the lower product, mention its name & move on.

I had a show last year that was very loud. The host kept trying to quiet the people down. Sounds like yours did too, so I'm sure it was just them! Again, like Colleen said, just talk to those listening. I had another show last year where half the guests just got up & went into another room & were chatting. Oh well, I went on. They all asked about stuff later & the other guests told them they shouldn't have left the room!

Wow Colleen, I was reading your post, I learned a lot just in the little information you gave! Thanks so much for posting! ;)

I agree with Colleen about focusing on higher priced items only. You have to entertain and inform people about higher priced items. You have to give them reasons so they feel justified buying something like a grill pan.

You have to just talk to the people who are listening and bascially ignore the talkers. Sometimes its harder said than done, but your are not a teacher or a police officer.

As far as negative people go, I always tell people when they complain about the price that they are paying for quality, warranty, and personal customer service (can they call someone at wal-mart to have a question answered about wal-mart's food chopper?). If they complain that they don't like a certain product, I just remind them that PC has a 100% guarantee for any reason in the first 30 days and that they can always return the item within the first 30 days. Sorry that is didn't work out for them,but they could have returned it. Those usually shut them up.

Yes, if you just keep on talking and focusing your demo to the ones that are listening pretty soon one of the loudies will ask a question about something you've already talked about. You won't even have to say anything then because the other guests will say, "she already discussed that. Maybe ya'll should pay attention" That will quiet things a bit.

My shows are on the long side, but at the end of the show almost all of the guests tell me that they appreciate that I bring alot of the products with me because 1)they've thought about purchasing it in the past, but didn't want to without seeing it 2) seeing a product in person gives them a better perspective 3) reminds them of what they already have at home. I also share a TON of tips. The guests are engaged in a competition during my entire show, so that keeps them occupied and not looking at their watches. I not just up there droning on and on.

You've received some excellent advice, so I don't know how much my words will help but here are my suggestions:

When you have the loud guests who try to be the star of the show - give them your attention! Bring them up to where you are to help with your demo. Also, I don't recommend trying to talk over them - they will just get louder. I actually either stop talking all together and give them my undivided attention, or I talk softer...MUCH softer. Loud-mouth guests are just older loud-mouthed children. They demand attention but get very shy when put in the spotlight.

Negative comments - offer a challenge to guests who complain about the cost. Tell them that if they will buy one product that is similar to something they own from Discount Store, and try it, you will return their money if they don't like it better within 30 days. Put up or shut up! LOL:p

finley1991 said:
Here is what I mean... we've all been obligated to attend another DS Show and what happens? We go in, grab the catalog and find what we can for under $20 and order that. It's the same with the guests at our shows. They DO NOT need any justification from us to spend $10. What they do need from us is a good, concrete reason to spend $50 on the salad spinner or other higher priced item! They need to know at least 5 things they can use it for! We all know how great our items are!

I love that reasoning! I've never thought about it like that!! I think I need to do some "homework" of my own and come up with a list to take to shows of 5 reasons for each product that is $30 or more. That is great!

I got an email today with a great response to the "this is too expensive" comment:

The sweet taste of a low price is soon forgotten after the bitterness of low quality is tasted.

I'm committing that one-liner to memory.

cmdtrgd said:
Another tip I have is to NEVER stop talking!!! As soon as you take more than 3 seconds to get a breath, they will take over.

This is my biggest problem. That is why I am thinking about going with a demoless show. I might have it so I only have to do a few small things as everyone comes in but that will be about it. Other than that I will just talk about the products.

What are some tips for successful demos at shows?

1. Practice beforehand: Make sure you are familiar with the products and their uses before the show. This will help you feel more confident during the demo.

2. Engage with your audience: Ask questions, share fun facts, and encourage participation. This will keep your audience interested and excited about the products.

3. Keep it simple: Stick to 2-3 products and focus on showcasing their features and benefits. Too many products can overwhelm your audience.

4. Use visual aids: Utilize tools such as videos, images, and props to enhance your demo and make it more engaging.

5. Follow up: After the demo, make sure to follow up with potential customers and offer them additional information or a special deal to keep their interest in the products.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chef131doreen
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Bren706
  • wadesgirl
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
  • ElizabethPurvis