• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Grilling Veggies 101: Recipes and Tips for Beginners

ideally, the fresh ones!Ideally I'd love to make them from scratch, as I'm all about the process of making food. But realistically, that's not gonna happen. I usually buy the frozen ones, or sometimes the fresh ones in the dairy...ideally, the fresh ones!
leftymac
I'm going to use my Grill Basket for the first time tonight. Anyone have a good grilled veggies recipe? Yeah, I know I can just toss them in some olive oil with salt and pepper but I was wondering what creative combinations you folks have done.

Also, what veggies are the best to grill? I was gonna do some mushrooms but wanted something else. I don't like squash so I don't want to grill that up. Asparagus, perhaps.

There's the mushroom and onion basket that came with the U&C for the Grill Basket and that sounds tasty too.

Peppers are made to grill! Peppers, Mushrooms, Onions, asparagus...yum!

The thing is, you don't need a lot of "extra" to make grilled veggies wonderful.

My favorite seasoning still for grilled veggies is the rosemary herb seasoning. I also love to make a browned butter/balsamic glaze for them after they're grilled or roasted.

1 tbls. of butter lightly browned, and then add a splash of soy sauce, and splash of balsamic vinegar. Mmmmmm!

ChefBeckyD said:
1 tbls. of butter lightly browned, and then add a splash of soy sauce, and splash of balsamic vinegar. Mmmmmm!

Brown butter is a wonderful sauce for everything from fish to veggies, or mix some honey on it (and dried fruit) and pour over a block of cream cheese.

HOWEVER, you need a stainless (or white enamel) pan to make it in. You need to be able to see when the butter starts to brown. (It can go from yummy nut brown to Hershey Bar dark brown). Our Exec (or any non-stick) cookware is dark colored and you can't see the color of the butter when you're slowing browning it.

RMDave said:
Brown butter is a wonderful sauce for everything from fish to veggies, or mix some honey on it (and dried fruit) and pour over a block of cream cheese.

HOWEVER, you need a stainless (or white enamel) pan to make it in. You need to be able to see when the butter starts to brown. (It can go from yummy nut brown to Hershey Bar dark brown). Our Exec (or any non-stick) cookware is dark colored and you can't see the color of the butter when you're slowing browning it.

Thanks. I've made browned butter before. I've got plenty of stainless steel cookware, too.

RMDave said:

That's very true, Dave. It's about the only time I use my 8" SS saute pan. :chef: Butter can go from browned to burned very quickly - so you have to pay close attention to the color and smell. When it begins to get a fragrant, nutty smell to it, pull it off the heat immediately!

I LOVE browned butter! Oh - and you don't have to be drowning the veggies in it for the fantastic flavor. Really, a tablespoon is enough for 4-6 servings of veggies. I actually learned this trick from Cooking Light magazine years ago!

I know what I'll be making tonight. Yum!

ChefBeckyD said:
Post pictures!

Fo' sho!

I just made my marinade for the chicken too -- I kinda did yours, Becky, but didn't have italian dressing. So, I used honey, lime juice, olive oil, and crushed peppercorn and garlic rub.

I'm also gonna grill Pierogies...which, if you haven't done yet, you MUST! They're sooooooo good!

How do you grill pierogies??

cookinfletch said:
How do you grill pierogies??

Lighly coat them with oil, throw 'em on a grill tray. Simple, and delicious. The outside gets crispy and a little charred, which makes it delicious!

leftymac said:
Lighly coat them with oil, throw 'em on a grill tray. Simple, and delicious. The outside gets crispy and a little charred, which makes it delicious!

MMMM..that sounds good? Do you make yours from scratch? or do you thaw the frozen ones? I have never made them from scratch we use the frozen ones.

chefheidi2003 said:
MMMM..that sounds good? Do you make yours from scratch? or do you thaw the frozen ones? I have never made them from scratch we use the frozen ones.

Ideally I'd love to make them from scratch, as I'm all about the process of making food. But realistically, that's not gonna happen. I usually buy the frozen ones, or sometimes the fresh ones in the dairy case.

So, Keith, I take it the 'called in sick' was not because you're actually sick! Glad to know. We all deserve a 'personal day' once in awhile.

pampchefsarah said:
So, Keith, I take it the 'called in sick' was not because you're actually sick! Glad to know. We all deserve a 'personal day' once in awhile.

I actually was feeling sick last night and when I woke up I felt horrible. I was going to go to work, and even hopped in the shower. Afterwards though I decided it would be best to just stay home, especially since I haven't taken a single sick day all year (What has gotten in to me this year?!?).

I still feel a little icky -- scratchy throat, etc. But, that won't stop me from Grillin' n' Chillin' later today.

:) Yep, I think grilled veggies will definitely help you feel better!

ChefBeckyD said:
Peppers are made to grill! Peppers, Mushrooms, Onions, asparagus...yum!

The thing is, you don't need a lot of "extra" to make grilled veggies wonderful.

My favorite seasoning still for grilled veggies is the rosemary herb seasoning.

Don't forget about the PC Italian Seasoning in place of Rosemary Herb - that's what we are having tonight. I use the PC Garlic Canola Oil - just toss all together and grill. Yum.

I used my grill tray for the first time last night. I grilled the asparagus (just used oil) and shrimp. I used the Smoky BBQ Rub (in melted butter) on the shrimp. It was delish!

Used my grill basket for the first time last night using sliced yellow squash-very delicious!!!
Whole family loved it!

I did mushrooms, asparagus, and grape tomatoes in them. Just did a toss in olive oil, salt, and pepper. Mmmmmmmmmm. Now I know why people go crazy about the grill basket. Before, I never understood it!Sorry, Becky....It looked so good I forgot to take pictures of it. :(

leftymac said:
I did mushrooms, asparagus, and grape tomatoes in them. Just did a toss in olive oil, salt, and pepper. Mmmmmmmmmm. Now I know why people go crazy about the grill basket. Before, I never understood it!

Sorry, Becky....It looked so good I forgot to take pictures of it. :(

That's okay - I didn't take pix of the shrimp either. BUT - WOW was it good! I gave DS 6 shrimp and a piece of fish on his plate, and before I could help myself, he had inhaled all of his! It was a hit with the family, so thanks Keith!

ChefBeckyD said:
That's okay - I didn't take pix of the shrimp either. BUT - WOW was it good! I gave DS 6 shrimp and a piece of fish on his plate, and before I could help myself, he had inhaled all of his! It was a hit with the family, so thanks Keith!

My chicken was delicious too..all caramelized and delicious!

1. How do I prepare vegetables for grilling?

Wash and dry your vegetables before grilling. For firmer vegetables like zucchini or bell peppers, cut into slices or chunks. Softer vegetables like tomatoes or mushrooms can be kept whole or cut in half. Brush with oil and season with salt and pepper.

2. What is the best way to grill vegetables?

Preheat your grill to medium-high heat. Place vegetables directly on the grill or on a skewer for smaller pieces. Grill for a few minutes on each side until tender and slightly charred. Use tongs to flip and remove from the grill.

3. Can I use a grill basket for grilling vegetables?

Yes, using a grill basket is a great way to keep smaller or more delicate vegetables from falling through the grates. Just make sure to lightly oil the basket before adding the vegetables to prevent sticking.

4. How do I prevent my vegetables from sticking to the grill?

Make sure to properly oil your vegetables before grilling. You can also lightly oil the grill grates before preheating or use a non-stick cooking spray. Using a grill basket or aluminum foil can also help prevent sticking.

5. What are some recommended seasonings for grilled vegetables?

Some popular seasonings for grilled vegetables include garlic, Italian herbs, lemon pepper, and balsamic vinegar. You can also experiment with different marinades or spice blends to add more flavor to your grilled veggies.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Lifeat50
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
ChefPaulaB
  • pamperedcheermom
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
BlessedWifeMommy
Replies