• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Grilled Chicken Penne Al Fresco

In summary, the recipe was easy to follow and the pasta cooked well in the microwave. The tomato sauce was bursting with flavor and the chicken was grilled to perfection.
legacypc46
Gold Member
Chicken Penne Al Fresco (new SB)I made this recipe from the new SB tonight. Has anyone else tried it yet? There was a lot of liquid remaining in the DCB when I took it out of the microwave. I used a slotted spoon to serve, but I'm not sure if it was supposed to come out liquidy or not. I liked the taste overall, but thought it needed more parmesean.

What did amaze me is how well the pasta cooked in the microwave. I won't say it was any quicker than preparing a pasta meal on a cooktop...but what a great option for those who only have a microwave available or want to use just one pot/dcb.

Last edited:
I haven't made it yet, but it's on my list of recipes to try. It sounded good.

I was wanting to make a pasta in the DCB yesterday, but I didn't because I didn't know how much liquid vs pasta in there.

Has this recipe been posted yet?

If not - could someone who has it, post it? Sounds like a good meal to try today!
THANKS!

4 garlic cloves, peeled
2 cups grape or cherry tomatoes
3 cups uncooked mezze penne pasta (any tube-shaped pasta w/9-11 minute cook time can be used)
3 cups chicken broth
3/4 cup dry white wine, such as chardonnay
1/2 tsp each salt and coarsely ground black pepper
1 1/4 cups lightly packed fresh basil leaves, divided
1 oz parmesan cheese, grated (about 1/4 cup)
2 cups diced grilled chicken breasts
additional fresh grated Parmesan cheese and coarsely ground black pepperSpray DCB with olive oil using spritzer. Slice garlic into baker using garlic slicer. Add tomatoes. Cover; microwave on HIGH 4-5 minutes or until tomatoes begin to burst, stirring after 2 minutes. Crush tomatoes using Mix n Chop. Add pasta, broth, wine, salt and black pepper.Return baker to microwave; cover and microwave on HIGH 16-18 minutes or until pasta is tender, stirring after 10 minutes. Meanwhile, coarsely chop basil with Chef's Knife. Reserve 2 Tb. for garnish. Grate cheese with rotary grater.Carefully remove baker from microwave and remove lid, lifting away from you. Add remaining basil, cheese and chicken to baker; mix well. Garnish with reserved 2 Tb. basil, additional cheese and black pepper, if desired.Yield: 8 servings

Thanks Ann! I have everything in the house for that except the cherry tomatoes - but I'll just add a can of diced fire-roasted tomatoes...that would probably be a cheaper options for hosts too, so I'll experiment!

Thanks for typing the recipe, Ann!

Does anyone have an idea about oven cooking equivalent? For this recipe or the Mexican Lasagna??

The DCB barely fits in my microwave and makes the turntable squeak something terrible.
Thanks!

This one could be done on the stove top in the same time, I imagine. Most of the cooking time is to cook the pasta, which would take the same time in the microwave as on the stovetop. Just do it in a piece of cookware (12" or stockpot).Mexican Lasagna would probably be about 30 min at 350. Or until heated through.

chefann said:
This one could be done on the stove top in the same time, I imagine. Most of the cooking time is to cook the pasta, which would take the same time in the microwave as on the stovetop. Just do it in a piece of cookware (12" or stockpot).

Mexican Lasagna would probably be about 30 min at 350. Or until heated through.

Thanks! (DH thanks you too - he hates it when I put the DCB in the mircowave!)

I am going to try this one out tonight...

Ann, did they mention any substitutions for the wine? Anyone?

Yes. The cook's tips say to use another 3/4 cup of broth in place of the wine.

I made it tonight, and we liked it. My kids even ate it, and they are very picky. I added some Italian Seasoning. Next time, I will add another breast of chicken because I like a lot of meat in my meals, and I also added more parm which I like to have too. I also used the extra 3/4 cup chicken broth instead of the white wine. It was light yet filling. I ate it as I prepared it, and I continued to eat it as I cleaned up.
I think it would be a great show recipe too. This has been the fastest PC meal for me to make. You could even make the pull-a-part bread in the skillet to have with it. It is a keeper.:love:

I also used whole wheat penne past,a and it took 18 min. I stopped and stirred in the middle like they requested. I am not sure it is necessary. Then, I checked it at 16 min and added the 2 min; it was perfect in my micro for 18 min.

How much liquid did you have left? I had enough that I had to serve mine with a slotted spoon. The recipe wasn't clear on how much the liquid should boil down.

it sounds very good. i think i will try it sunday since i have a busy weekend, with our friends!!

I decided to wait until I have the right tomatoes to try it. I think the first time I make it I should do it by the book.:)

I hate it on Allrecipes.com when someone rates a recipe poorly - but then when you read their review, you find out they didn't follow the recipe at all. How do you rate a recipe if that's not what you followed?:confused:

ChefBeckyD said:
I decided to wait until I have the right tomatoes to try it. I think the first time I make it I should do it by the book.:)

I hate it on Allrecipes.com when someone rates a recipe poorly - but then when you read their review, you find out they didn't follow the recipe at all. How do you rate a recipe if that's not what you followed?:confused:

Amen, sista! Drives me crazy...

I remember on here one time there was a thread about the Deluxe Cheeseburger Salad and someone said that they didn't like it because it tasted like only beef and ketchup. Then I read on to find out that they didn't put in the pickles and onions. Well what did you expect it to taste like then???

ChefBeckyD said:
I

What bugs me more is when someone rates it really highly, but then says, "I added this, or took out that, or used less of such and such..."

I want to know if the original recipe tastes good! Sometimes they at least say it was pretty good, but better when they did A, B and C...

leftymac said:
Amen, sista! Drives me crazy...

I remember on here one time there was a thread about the Deluxe Cheeseburger Salad and someone said that they didn't like it because it tasted like only beef and ketchup. Then I read on to find out that they didn't put in the pickles and onions. Well what did you expect it to taste like then???

I remember that thread. It made me laugh!

I made a split pea soup from Allrecipes that was EXCELLENT! I read one of the bad reviews. The reviewer thought the recipe was too bland. Ummm, okay - she didn't use the carrot, celery, or onion - and left out part of the spices...and then she had the nerve to rate the recipe as 2 stars? She left out everything that gave it flavor - no wonder it was bland!:rolleyes:

AnnieBee said:
What bugs me more is when someone rates it really highly, but then says, "I added this, or took out that, or used less of such and such..."

I want to know if the original recipe tastes good! Sometimes they at least say it was pretty good, but better when they did A, B and C...

You are right - that bugs me too!

I am the queen of changing recipes - but I would never rate a recipe that I have modified a lot based on my modifications!

That bugs me, too. I'll admit that I frequently change up recipes, but I'll disclose that (like when I admit that I use 1 poblano and 1 green pepper in the white chicken chili) when I talk about the recipe.There are a lot of yummy-sounding recipes in the new SBRC and the new 29 min cookbook (which I think I'm going to start abbreviating as 29^2 {for 29 squared}).

Mine had some liquid left over too. It still tasted good though.

I'm going to try this recipe tonight. It calls for grilled chicken breasts. I was going to do that in the grill pan. Now I'm very grill pan challenged, so does anyone have any tips for me? Should I season the chicken first? Any particular seasoning that you think would go well with this recipe? How long should I preheat the skillet and it not be harmful to the pan?

I just made it and it was so good! I filleted the chicken into thinner pieces and just did salt and pepper for tonight. Figured I'd just do it as is and see how it was and leave the experimenting to another night. It was really yummy. I only had a little extra liquid, but it was the perfect amount to be just a little loose and almost a light sauce. I thought it was really good as is, but maybe I'll try to season the chicken with Italian seasoning next time and see how that is.Oh, and I used the grill pan successfully! :) Now I'm not as intimidated with it.

I made this for dinner Monday night and I also had excess liquid left. I spooned it out but in doing so I am sure I lost some garlic. Next time I will reduce the liquid too. I did not use the wine--used the extra chicken broth.

For our cluster Monday night I also made the Mexican Chicken Lasagna--now that was yummy!!

Tara

Made this recipe today....it worked perfect...NOW...I did change some things up...so I don;t want to be the one that "irks" people for this...LOL
But I didn't want to waste my ingredients and have it flop, so I thought I'd tweak it as I went along...
It calls for 2 cups uncooked Penne pasta...I bought a 1 lb. box (approx. 3 cups in there) and used it all...that is what helped soak up the liquid...I used exactly the liquid it called for including the wine.
I cooked up the chicken breasts (from the frozen state) in the baker with some Garlic infused oil spritzed over it and our Rosemary seasoning. Cubed it up after cooled a little.
Proceeded with recipe but I did not use any Basil leaves..couldn't find them in my Walmart!!! LOL so I used some more Rosemary....
The recipe was absolutely delicious!!!!! I am making this Friday for my show and my hostess wanted to use the Rosemary instead of basil leaves so that's why I tried it this way. I will probably just press the garlic in with the tomatos for now until the new slicer comes out in March.

I made this last night too..

IT was great-

I had no extra liquid left over. The Mezza Pasta is by Barilla.
It calls for 3 cups in the recipe, well there was maybe 1/3 cup lest in the box...so I added the whole box. Cooked 18 min. perfectly. No left over liquid and the pasta was done. I used wine & broth.
I always sub Pec Romano cheese for Parmesan, I love the flavor its bolder.
Kids both loved it. IT would be a great recipe for leftovers. Maybe left over 30 min chicken. I actually used left over roast turkey, was fine.

I want to try this and the Mexican Lassagna. When I cook chicken that needs to be cut up now I CUT IT WITH THE SALAD CHOPPERS! It is so easy and quick to chop with them!

The past tw Wednesday nights, I have seasoned chicken tenders and cooked them in the microwave in the DCB in 12 minutes. Very quick before leaving for church.

I tried this tonight and LOVED IT now I omitted the wine and I didn't substitute extra chicken broth and I had very little liquid left. I did let it set before we ate and there was NO liquid when we served it up. I used the entire package of pasta, which was whole wheat. I didn't have the fresh basil either I just used Greek seasoning on the chicken when cooking and the meal had great flavor still.

Last edited:
I also tried it last night. I went with the recipe exactly as is, even though I probably should have tossed int he last bit of pasta in the box.

I did let it sit a bit after it got done because I had a sick DH and a baby to take care of and I running around doing everything else while cooking. I did not notice a great amount of leftover liquid by the time I got around to actually eating it.

nancycookspc said:
I made this last night too..

IT was great-

I had no extra liquid left over. The Mezza Pasta is by Barilla.
It calls for 3 cups in the recipe, well there was maybe 1/3 cup lest in the box...so I added the whole box.
Cooked 18 min. perfectly. No left over liquid and the pasta was done. I used wine & broth.
I always sub Pec Romano cheese for Parmesan, I love the flavor its bolder.
Kids both loved it. IT would be a great recipe for leftovers. Maybe left over 30 min chicken. I actually used left over roast turkey, was fine.

I have made this twice now, the first time I did it by the books and the second time I added the last little bit of the box and it came out perfect!!

I am making this tonight. Sounded really good to me, so I'm going to give it a try.

1. How do I make Grilled Chicken Penne Al Fresco in the Deep Covered Baker (DCB)?

To make this dish in the DCB, place the chicken, pasta, and other ingredients in the baker and cover with the lid. Microwave on high for 12-14 minutes, stirring halfway through, until chicken is cooked and pasta is tender.

2. Can I substitute the chicken with another protein?

Yes, you can use shrimp, tofu, or any other protein of your choice in this recipe. Adjust the cooking time accordingly to ensure it is fully cooked.

3. What should I do with the excess liquid in the DCB after cooking?

You can either drain the liquid or use a slotted spoon to serve the dish. The amount of liquid may vary depending on the type of pasta used and how much water is absorbed during cooking.

4. How can I make this dish more flavorful?

Feel free to add more seasonings or herbs to the dish, such as garlic, basil, or red pepper flakes. You can also top it with additional Parmesan cheese for extra flavor.

5. Can I cook the pasta separately and add it to the dish later?

Yes, you can cook the pasta separately and add it to the dish before serving. However, cooking it in the DCB with the other ingredients allows for a one-pot meal and saves time and cleanup.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Loveh20mi
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • Debbie.A.NOC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Fluffy215
  • erinhoward