1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Question about the Penne Al Fresco

1. missyciccolella

missyciccolella Advanced Member

Ok, I looked through the posts and didn't really find an answer to this...I made this a while back but didn't add the chicken to the recipe. I thought it was fairly runny for a "sauce-less pasta". I followed the directions minus the chicken so my question is does the chicken really make that big of a difference or is there suppose to be liquid left in the DCB? On the other hand, I loved the liquid and thought it was perfect for bread! :love:
    I have 2 shows this weekend both wanting this recipe...any other tips since I've never actually prepared this at a show? Thanks!

2. dianevill

dianevill Senior Member Gold Member

I made this "chicken-less" on Saturday and only used 2 1/2 c liquid total. It was perfect. Even when I make it with the chicken, I cut it down to 3 c liquid total. It's way too liquid-y otherwise.

Mar 23, 2009
  3. missyciccolella

missyciccolella Advanced Member

Thanks...I guess I'm not alone in too much liquid.

4. c00p

c00p Veteran Member Gold Member

I thought the first time it was a little liquid-y, but the next time I warmed up, the pasta had soaked up a tone of the liquid and the flavor was even better!!!! I actually even let mine sit for about 10-12 minutes the first time I made it (with chicken though) and it wasn't all that runny to me. However, I did use a full 1lb. of penne and 4 c. of broth - maybe that was the difference. Loved it, loved it, loved it!!

Mar 23, 2009
  5. PamperedK

PamperedK Veteran Member Silver Member

I use 4 cups of noodles and a little less liquid and it's great.

Mar 23, 2009
  6. pkd09

pkd09 Future Director Silver Member

Oh thank goodness this has happen to others!!! I thought I did something wrong. I followed the directions except I used the add'l chicken broth instead of the wine. LOTS of juice in the DCB. I'm going to try your suggestions the next time.

Mar 23, 2009
  7. straitfan

straitfan Veteran Member Gold Member

Something that I learned last week when I made this for a show.

The first time I made it I left out the wine and just used Broth, but for the show, I thought I'd actually follow the recipe! I went to the liquor store and told my friend that works there that I just needed about 3/4's of a cup of Chardonnay to cook with, and I didn't want any left over b/c I don't like to drink that kind. She came back with this tiny bottle of Sutter's Home, that was EXACTLY the right amount, and it only cost like $1.83!!!! And I do think it added a lot to the flavor of the dish. Thought I'd post this for those who shied away from the wine........

Mar 23, 2009
  8. wadesgirl

wadesgirl Legend Member Gold Member

I noticed as it set more it soaked up more of the juice.

Mar 23, 2009
  9. chefann

chefann Legend Member Gold Member

We had this at our meeting Friday - used the wine, used the full amount of liquid, used the full box of pasta (the gal hosting couldn't see keeping that little teeny bit that was left), and let it sit for about 10 minutes before we ate. It was juicy, but good. We also added sliced mushrooms instead of the chicken.

Mar 23, 2009
  10. teresah551393

teresah551393 Member

I also use the entire box of pasta and 4 cups of broth. Of courst, more chicken, tomato, basil and cheese make it even better!!!

11. BeckyC5830

BeckyC5830 Member

I made this for a show last Saturday, which the host was anticipating 10 or more guests so I multiplied the recipe by 1-1/2. When I first made the increased recipe at home it was too soupy so I cut down the liquid by 1/2 cup at the show. Unfortunately my hosts microwave must have been much more powerful than mine and it boiled all over her microwave :eek: making quite the mess. But in the end everyone loved the pasta. We served it with slices of bruschetta and the Garlic Parmesan Dipping Seasoning in OO, and a simple salad and the guests had a wonderful meal.

Mar 24, 2009
Have something to add?